PM Yingluck To Launch 'Zero Casualty' Road Safety Campaign During Songkran Festival

webfact

PM to launch road safety campaign during Songkran Festival

image_201204111000339F586B20-BF3F-51CD-B0B350DD6BC78091.jpg

BANGKOK, April 11 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday will open a national road safety campaign for the upcoming Songkran Festival to urge motorists to be aware of safety concerns during the festive season.

Ms Yingluck will chair a meeting to announce the government's policy to prevent road accidents and launch the "7 Days 77 Provinces" campaign at Government House to raise awareness among motorists to drive more carefully during Songkran.

The government aims to cut the number of casualties from road accidents during the long holiday weekend as many motorists drive despite drinking alcohol.

Earlier in the day, Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, in his capacity as Chairman of the Road Safety Directing Centre, will preside at the opening of the Road Safety Centre 2012.

The centre, supervised by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, is responsible for directing and coordinating agencies concerned to prevent road accidents during the Songkran festival to achieve the target of zero casualties.

Mr Yongyuth said that the government has paid attention to preventing and cutting the number of road accidents and considered the matter as a national agenda concern.

He said that during the period, the authorities will strictly enforce traffic laws and regulations and will focus drunk drivers, speeding and motorcyclists not wearing helmets.

The government hopes to reduce the number of traffic accidents and casualties to the lowest levels possible, under the "Zero Casualty" campaign, said Mr Yongyuth.

The centre will operate April 11-17 and casualty and accident reports will be announced daily. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transport Co.: More than 500,000 has left Bangkok during the past long weekend alone

Hotnews-255504110003.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 April 2012 (NNT) – More than half a million people have left Bangkok for the upcountry during the past long weekend, according to information from the country's major provincial bus operator.

The Transport Company revealed that more than 500,000 travelers have taken on buses to various upcountry destinations between last Friday and Monday.

The company also stated that all who have left Bangkok are not back to town yet, while it forecasts that a daily average of 250,000 passengers will travel back to their hometowns during April 11th and 12th, to celebrate the Songkran festival.

With this estimate, the country's major bus service provider is preparing to add more than 5,000 trips to its existing schedules to accommodate the surge in travelers' demand during the upcoming Thai New Year holidays.

Meanwhile, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) reported that around 600,000 people have chosen to ride trains back to their hometowns since April 5th, with no less than 120,000 travelers expected to leave Bangkok by the railway service each day, during Wednesday and Thursday.

Both the Transport Company and the SRT agreed that the surge in public demand for bus and train services has been driven by higher oil prices, which have forced many to leave their vehicles at home and opt for public transport during this holiday.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-11 footer_n.gif

Officials Deployed to Step Up Road Safety During Songkran

Officials have set up checkpoints in many areas to prevent the smuggling of drugs or illicit items during the Songkran holiday, while routes towards the northern provinces are starting to be busy.

Since residents are starting to travel back to their hometowns for Songkran Festival, many routes become busy with cars, especially at Dechatiwong Bridge in Nakhon Ratchasima Province.

However, traffic still flows and cars can pass by quickly, while there are only traffic congestions at certain junctions.

Meanwhile, the Nakhon Sawan-Kamphaeng Phet and Nakhon Sawan-Phitsanulok highway routes also still flow despite a large number of cars.

Officials are blocking six-wheeled trucks entering Dechatiwong Bridge until April 18 to prevent traffic congestion in Muang Nakhon Sawan District.

In Kamphaeng Phet Province, the road safety and accident prevention center has been set up to watch for accidents during the Songkran holiday, which will be active from today until April 17.

The center will work through managerial measures, where road safety checkpoints will be coordinated with other units.

Additional surveillance cameras have also been installed at important junctions.

In Buri Ram Province, police from all stations in 23 districts have been ordered to set up service points to accommodate residents traveling during the Songkran festival.

More than 80 service points will be established in both main routes minor routes.

Checkpoints will also be set up in many areas to prevent the smuggling of drugs or illicit items between provinces during the Songkran holiday.

Elsewhere, the “White Road” project has been launched at in front of Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge in Muang Nong Khai District, as a large number of people travel though this area during important festivals.

Helmets were distributed to residents and a motorcycle parade has been demonstrated to encourage residents to wear a helmets when traveling by a motorcycle.

Nursing officers and Vientiane rescue officials have also attended the events led by the Laos Transportation Department.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-11

footer_n.gif

"Ms Yingluck will chair a meeting to announce the government's policy to prevent road accidents and launch the "7 Days 77 Provinces" campaign at Government House to raise awareness among motorists to drive more carefully during Songkran."

Unbelievable, like the woman and her older brother. I'd say if motorists would drive more carefully all year long, it would make perfect sense to me.

. 7 days, 77 provinces and 777 hubs for any reasons.... jap.gif

120.000 travelers per day by railway? That's like more than 120 train departures per day :-/

Meanwhile, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) reported that around 600,000 people have chosen to ride trains back to their hometowns since April 5th, with no less than 120,000 travelers expected to leave Bangkok by the railway service each day, during Wednesday and Thursday.

"In Buri Ram Province, police from all stations in 23 districts have been ordered to set up service points to accommodate residents traveling during the Songkran festival."

"service points" - is that a euphemism for police extortion roadblock?

"Ms Yingluck will chair a meeting to announce the government's policy to prevent road accidents and launch the "7 Days 77 Provinces" campaign at Government House to raise awareness among motorists to drive more carefully during Songkran."

Unbelievable, like the woman and her older brother. I'd say if motorists would drive more carefully all year long, it would make perfect sense to me.

oh come it . . its a start at least

Why not just ban Songkran. Not the actual holiday, but any kind of water throwing.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Songkran has long ceased to be fun.

If they do not want to ban the water throwing outright, then restrict it to certain designated 'wet' areas (ie: Sanam Luang, Khao San Road, etc.). But everywhere outside those wet areas is to remain dry.

You want wet, then head to a wet area and enjoy, but allow the rest of the city to go about it's daily business without the fear of being soaked without notice.

Oh come on! You HAVE to give her credit for actually walking into a room full of people. Can you imagine how hard it is to do that? I mean the nerve of some people... as if multi trillionaires don't have enough problems to worry about....

"In Buri Ram Province, police from all stations in 23 districts have been ordered to set up service points to accommodate residents traveling during the Songkran festival."

"service points" - is that a euphemism for police extortion roadblock?

Yes

Wel what it all bils down to iswelcomeani.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifburp.gifintheclub.gifspamsign.gif

• Like 1

"Zero Casualty" Now I know she is on a different planet to everyone else!
  • Like 2

Exactly! "Overcome" to the land of Thailand soon to be the HUB of no holidays without road accidents.

That's the dumbest thing I've seen in the news yet. Companies have tried for zero defects for years and years. How can she make a comment like that with hundreds of accidents, injuries, or death each year. Only way is to lock everyone in there homes, and take away there alcohol, drug of choice. Good luck Thailand.

Correct! If the translations are correct and it is indeed a 'Zero Casualty' campaign, then the Government are embarking on a campaign that is impossible to achieve. The idea of minimising the number of casualties is a good one and there are many simple steps that can be taken to avoid high casualty numbers. I have been involved with aviation safety for many years and even there, where we are at the forefront of minimising human error, we know full well that zero accidents is not possible, all we can do is get the number as low as possible. It would have been sensible of Yingluck to try and reduce accidents by say 15-20% this year, at least then they would have some chance of success.

Stay off the roads everyone, especially at night, we are off to a resort tomorrow to park up and stay out the way for 4 days! Happy Songkhran!

the only way to have a Zero Casualty is to BAN songkran and BAN alcohol.

- but this wont happen.

so, at the very least, it would be good to see Police actually enforcing Law...

- but this doesn't happen!!

so then I guess why not make a few large statements and everybody thinks you are doing a job good (though nothing happens)

- this does happen!!

So the general consensus of the TV populace so far is that the gov should really do nothing in terms of extra awareness during the peak travel and accident time and simply get blamed for any deaths because they did nothing-would that satisfy the members here?

You assume that is what they are saying.

In fact they are saying that all she is doing is talking.

You really should pay attention to the difference between her words and her actions.

• Like 1

Correct! If the translations are correct and it is indeed a 'Zero Casualty' campaign, then the Government are embarking on a campaign that is impossible to achieve. The idea of minimising the number of casualties is a good one and there are many simple steps that can be taken to avoid high casualty numbers. I have been involved with aviation safety for many years and even there, where we are at the forefront of minimising human error, we know full well that zero accidents is not possible, all we can do is get the number as low as possible. It would have been sensible of Yingluck to try and reduce accidents by say 15-20% this year, at least then they would have some chance of success.

Stay off the roads everyone, especially at night, we are off to a resort tomorrow to park up and stay out the way for 4 days! Happy Songkhran!

Another thing she could do is only let farongs with a motorcycle license rent a motor bike.

I only hold a driver license for a auto and I do not believe songkran would be the time to be learning how to ride a motorbike.

Edited by hellodolly

Why is it that so many announcements in Thailand are in fact a goal ,destination or end result which is impossible to achieve.

I'd rather see the announcement whereby they aim through strict police and traffic controls to reduce the number of casualties this year by 10%.

People die every day on Thai roads through combination of factors such as inexperienced drivers, poor car safety standards, poor roads, or stupididty and sheer bad luck.. how does she plan to combat these situations and miraculously convert songkran into a zero death period.

"Zero Casualty" I think we had a few here yesterday in Sahatsakhan. Three ambulances and 2 emergency vechicles rushed out of the hospital across the road from us here and all returned within 40 minutes with sirens blaring both ways, with some dead I am sure.

I was on the road coming from the direction the ambulances went 20 minutes before. I could not understand why the car in front of me kept the drivers side passerger door all the way open. I thought, waiting for an accident.

The hospital here is not really equipped to do much of anything.

Driving to the airport in Khon Kaen fron Sahatsakhan thru Kalasin last night the police had the road narrowed to one lane with the barriers and cones and red lights, making you slow down and pay attention. We went through 5, not one was manned.