Tsunami Warning Issued For Thai Coastal Provinces Following 8.9-Scale Quake In Indonesia

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there a possibitlity that it will affect koh chang? i need advise as i am leaving for koh chang tomorrow.thanks

You will be fine in Koh chang-- there is a significant land mass between you and the quake epicentre. The Gulf of Thailand is safe-- the warning is for the Andaman or Indian Ocean coastlines

snapback.pngHeavyDrinker, on 4 minutes ago, said:

Bloke on CNN just said the mechanism of the quake was "Horizontal" and not "Vertical"

This means it is less likely to produce a Tsunami.

Guy on BBC word news has just said the same, so we will keep our fingers crossed and hope they are right

BBC reporting from Indonesia saying there is no sign of a low tide in the zone and therefore a tsunami is unlikely. No harm in taking precautions, good to test how effective the drills are in a real life situation.

Woody Leonhard@PhuketPC

Reports of receding water in Patong Bay are false. I'm looking at it right now

With the tsunami being predicted at 6:10 it's a bit premature anyways..The ocean lowers because the wave is imminent and off shore pulling the water out to sea so that isn't going to happen until right before it hits which is why I posted that by that time one had better be well away from the shore line or on much higher ground already..

I would also like to know if anyone has any info is it just going to affect the southern coastal places or will it reach as far as koh Chang?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

'

Koh Chang (the big one) is in the East, on the other side of the country. Its highly unlikely there will be an effect on the Koh Chang in the Gulf of Thailand. Please look at the map, thanks

Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but quite a few (over 100 I'd estimate) people evacuated the Exchange Tower at Asok in Bangkok after the quake. It was a little unnerving for about a minute or so.

It's a 42 story building...

Edited by impulse

snapback.pngHeavyDrinker, on 4 minutes ago, said:

Bloke on CNN just said the mechanism of the quake was "Horizontal" and not "Vertical"

This means it is less likely to produce a Tsunami.

Guy on BBC word news has just said the same, so we will keep our fingers crossed and hope they are right

To be honest, I find the idea of listening to an "expert" who is 5 thousand miles away as to whether I should go and sit up on the roof for 3 hours or not, rather stupid.

• Like 1

is there a possibitlity that it will affect koh chang? i need advise as i am leaving for koh chang tomorrow.thanks

Koh Chang east of Thailand: No Risk at all, because other side of Thailand.

Koh Chang west of Thailand: (small island not well known) maybe I don't know.

So who in Thai TV has the balls to cut what they are currently showing - on all 6 TV channels - and display a tsunami warning?

My guess - no one.

Scrolling warnings on all thai channels. Guess that takes the wind out of your rant...

I've had Thai TV on for about an hour - no scrolling messages on any of the 6 channels.

So who in Thai TV has the balls to cut what they are currently showing - on all 6 TV channels - and display a tsunami warning?

My guess - no one.

Scrolling warnings on all thai channels. Guess that takes the wind out of your rant...

I've had Thai TV on for about an hour - no scrolling messages on any of the 6 channels.

We have ZERO patience for you arguments right now.

What can we gauge from the water receding? Does that guarantee that a tsunami will hit, of what magnitude?

Yes and unknown but likely pretty big one if it's that noticeable..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I would also like to know if anyone has any info is it just going to affect the southern coastal places or will it reach as far as koh Chang?

i also asked th same question.but they said that it is safe...koh samet and koh chang are safe