Need A 'Lockup'

LivinLOS

My various shed and garage space is full.. I could do with some kind of lockup / storage ideally in the southern side of the city but any ideas welcome.

Back in the west getting a lockup or storage in an urban area isnt usually that hard, but its not something I think is so common here.

Any ideas ??

Alternatively any source for a shipping container. Have a place it could go and would solve the same purpose. Again these are easy and cheap to find in the west, even ones made into offices with kitchens and showers go for only about a grand GBP, but no idea of a source at reasonable costs ??

Shipping containers to use as storage and habitats for low-rent farangs is exactly what Chiang Mai needs.

A few weeks ago on this forum someone proposed the introduction of double-wide trailers here.

The shipping containers would compliment the trailers architecturally and the inhabitants, trailer-trash and container-trash, would co-exist equally well I'm sure.

• Like 1

Have you considered thinning out your belongings.

For most of my life I lived that way where I could not let any thing go now I am munch happier and freer by following the simple principal if I Can't walk away from it I don't buy it.

Yeah thanks for the zen life lesson but I am storing stuff for my brother, have a few projects and bit bikes, surplus bike parts, and spares, tools that will be needed in the future but not now, etc etc etc. If someone expresses the need for a workshop what good is it telling them they shouldnt bother to work on things ??

So without a commentary on WHY I need to store stuff, or vague ramblings on the nature materialism. If anyone has an idea on where I can rent a lockup, for my own needs, would love to know.

For most of my life I lived that way where I could not let any thing go now I am munch happier and freer by following the simple principal if I Can't walk away from it I don't buy it.

Agree with this. I moved to Thailand with only a hand luggage.

But most people come here are retirees... after having lived a life.. I came here in my 20s and have lived for going on a 3rd of my life here.. What with marriages and things it builds up. I junked a lot of surplus 2 years ago but motorbikes of many different flavors take up space. Theres 8 motorbikes I can count for a start..

Hence the need for a lockup.

Chang Mai removals has storage. I'm not sure you get your own lock up though.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I will go ask..

Tho really am looking for a lockup, garage, single level front of a shophouse.. Etc... I may need to go at odd hours, I may want to go work on a bike or bits I put in there, combo bike storage / workshop / tools / spares space..

Don't knw about genuine shipping containers but some years ago, when still living in Phuket, some enterprising Australian was setting up a company to import similar items, actually they were used on-site builder's offices--aluminium covered ply bodied structures--and was doing research and testing on super insulating and fitting with A/C units with a view to selling them here for cheap, easy fit, holiday homes for folks with a bit of land 'up-country'--or some such idea--never knew what became of the project but if it is up and running they would be the folks to approach.

Possibly another option might be Thai Exports co. ltd. at Ban Tawai, Hang Dong--they are a large export company who might have a line on used shipping containers--the owner is a nice guy, from UK--P.M. me if you want his contact info.

This is John from Thai Exports - Chiang Mai Removals is a sideline of this same company. I now have 3 warehouses in Hangdong area and I do have a spare shipping container. Warehouses are open 6 days a week from 8.30am to 5pm. You are more than welcome to tinker on your bikes during these times and I can come and open up after hours if you are desperate for motorcycle maintenace.

We are on Songkran holidays but will be starting back on 18th - you can contact me on 0810307565

I moved to Thailand with a toothbrush and a pack of condoms.

That's what I said. biggrin.png

How many toothbrushes ago is that?

Since I know u have children I'm assuming that u still have the condoms...

Shipping containers to use as storage and habitats for low-rent farangs is exactly what Chiang Mai needs.

A few weeks ago on this forum someone proposed the introduction of double-wide trailers here.

The shipping containers would compliment the trailers architecturally and the inhabitants, trailer-trash and container-trash, would co-exist equally well I'm sure.

Your first post and a good one.

I don't know what your background is or how long you've been here but you seem to be aware of the idiocy that is becoming more and more evident among so many farangs in Chiang Mai.

Just when you think things can't get any worse someone comes up with an idea that blows you away.

Shipping containers added to a scene already beginning to look like some concrete-jungle in California!

But like Trink's Night Owl used to say "I don't give a hoot".

And neither should we. But I do.

Anyway, as another able-seaman on this Ship of Fools, welcome to the Forum.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

How many toothbrushes ago is that?

About 104. And did accumulate a lot more stuff since then.. I do however remember quite vividly the first time I bought something that was something 'permanent', something that wouldn't fit into a backpack. Before that I always resisted buying stuff that couldn't easily be moved. ;)

Your first post and a good one.

I don't know what your background is or how long you've been here but you seem to be aware of the idiocy that is becoming more and more evident among so many farangs in Chiang Mai.

Just when you think things can't get any worse someone comes up with an idea that blows you away.

Shipping containers added to a scene already beginning to look like some concrete-jungle in California!

But like Trink's Night Owl used to say "I don't give a hoot".

And neither should we. But I do.

Anyway, as another able-seaman on this Ship of Fools, welcome to the Forum.

I would say more like a scene in Oklahoma or Arkansas than California! (But hey, we do have trailer parks in California too!)

But most people come here are retirees... after having lived a life.. I came here in my 20s and have lived for going on a 3rd of my life here.. What with marriages and things it builds up. I junked a lot of surplus 2 years ago but motorbikes of many different flavors take up space. Theres 8 motorbikes I can count for a start..

What are you doing with all those motorbikes?

This whole thread sounds fishy to me.

Sounds fishy? Seems to me the man can own as many motorbikes as he dam_n well pleases.

Sounds fishy? Seems to me the man can own as many motorbikes as he dam_n well pleases.

That's the spirit!

Bonnie and me used to like to collect a lot of cars too.

Thank you... Fishy ?!?! When asking for a lockup.. .ThaiVisa strikes again..

And motorbikes can become a bit of a passion, and as I say my brother spends large portions of time with me here so some are for his use (or his GFs)..

We both have wave type scooters for pop'ing to the shop or local.. thats 2..

We both have 400 type dual sports / super motos for rough roads like hopping over to Laos or Cambo, which we do every few months.. 2 more..

We both have some 2 stroke dirtbikes for purely off rd in the hills.. I also have a motorcrosser for hooning off road trials.. Three more.. I might get rid of the more tired ones of these as the MXer was a recent addition and is so much more machine than the others I doubt they will see now much action..

Plus then theres the race prepped engined 900 fireblade.. For the proper adrenalin fix..

I also kind of enjoy building and customizing them.. I wouldnt say no to the right shaped 250 or 400 to cut to pieces and remake as make a brat style street tracker.. Say a old school CB350 or GB250.

Bikes are a hobby, I like riding em, turning spanners on them.. Cracking the beer fridge and checking what needs replacing or working on soon.. Sure I could lose a few from the stable but they all sort of have a purpose (and 3 of them are my brothers) but hence the storage idea..

Anyway a mans shed is his castle, and shouldnt need to be second guessed wink.png

Edited by LivinLOS

But why does it have to be in Chiang Mai? A city with a seven hundred year old history and cultural traditions that go back to a time when our ancestors were little more than savages. And now many among us have reverted to a state even lower than they were.

But why does it have to be in Chiang Mai? A city with a seven hundred year old history and cultural traditions that go back to a time when our ancestors were little more than savages. And now many among us have reverted to a state even lower than they were.

What????? Explain, please.