Warning - Pattaya Now Has Alcohol Breath Testing In Daily Use

misterhe

Wow - sounds like quite an experience - and kudos to you for your honesty in relating it all here.

This type of random breath-testing has been a long time coming to Pattaya IMO and I for one think its a great idea. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen expats drinking in a bar and then leave under their own steam on a bike or in a car. And there's no excuse either as there are alternate modes of transport available.

Lets hope that this measure will bring down the road accident statistics.

If this is just a Songkran week special then it's totally useless.

I would say they don't have the capacity to make this a regular operation, they would very quickly run out of resources to handle the sheer numbers of Thais and falangs that would be caught and processed on any given night - sad but true

I also agree that the transport charges for a taxi to the darkside costing 500baht is rediculous considering you can hire a bahtbus for an evening for about 1000baht - take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht - hire a minibus for 2000baht a day, but it's still no excuse for drink driving, on the occasion I've been to walking street and on my way home I laugh at the baht bus drivers quoting me 200 baht for a 3-4 km journey - I just reply mai pen rai 2nd road 10baht - tourists ruin this place lol

They charge me 3 hundred baht to go to the darksie from ws in a tuk tuk.

No problem and i am not a tourist.But if lived where you do then i would do exactly what you do by getting the ten baht ride.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes mate I understand you completely, my point really is that I can laugh at these crooks and it gives me great pleasure in doing so and I let them know the reason as plain as I can, you on the other hand have limited choice because of your location, one of the many things that spoil this great city, what puzzles me is that these guys sit for hours making no money - if they had any sense of business they would start charging reasonable prices and get busy instead of being the lazy stupid simple minded crooks they are

yes mate I understand you completely, my point really is that I can laugh at these crooks and it gives me great pleasure in doing so and I let them know the reason as plain as I can, you on the other hand have limited choice because of your location, one of the many things that spoil this great city, what puzzles me is that these guys sit for hours making no money - if they had any sense of business they would start charging reasonable prices and get busy instead of being the lazy stupid simple minded crooks they are

I agree totally

Amazing post! A real eye opener. In fact, last August I dumped my motor bike when I was drunk speeding and I knew I couldn't stop in time before rear ending a song taeow. I broke my collar bone. I was lucky.

Although I love the freedom of doing what you want in Thailand, drinking and driving is not only F'ing stupid and deadly, it's usually unnecessary in a town with more baht busses than you can shake a stick at. And now that I know the boys in blue are cracking down on this for real, it's another reason for me to leave the bike at home.

Thanks for the account of your arrest. Kind of scared me even straighter! Cheers!

A friend of mine was checked last night at 4h45 AM on second road.

He told me that he saw police check-points for alcool the whole week and every nigths: pattaya Tai, 2nd road, 3rd road & pattaya Nua !

Someone can confirm ?

what difference does it make, don't drink and drive period........I don't give a shit if you don't wear a helmet but when you drive while drunk you are endangering me and and everyone else - knock it on the head before you kill or seriosly injure someone

A friend of mine was checked last night at 4h45 AM on second road.

He told me that he saw police check-points for alcool the whole week and every nigths: pattaya Tai, 2nd road, 3rd road & pattaya Nua !

Someone can confirm ?

what difference does it make, don't drink and drive period........I don't give a shit if you don't wear a helmet but when you drive while drunk you are endangering me and and everyone else - knock it on the head before you kill or seriosly injure someone

Hear, Hear. I only wish that they have those checkpoints on all major Sois and not just on the obvious ones ! This way it's too easy for them to dodge it (So many back roads) bah.gif

- take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht -

To be fair, this is not a valid comparison. The only reason why you can a taxi so cheap to BKK is because they are BKK taxis which need to bet back up there. They get about 500 or 600 of that depending on who's paying tolls.

- take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht -

To be fair, this is not a valid comparison. The only reason why you can a taxi so cheap to BKK is because they are BKK taxis which need to bet back up there. They get about 500 or 600 of that depending on who's paying tolls.

what ???? you are telling me that my point is not valid ????

May I remind you that a trip to the airport is about 90km - a trip home in pattaya will be no more than 10 and closer to 5km, are you really trying to make a point about something I said Tropo

As usual you always seem to try and find a hole in someones point even if it isn't there, for someone who lived here for several years boasting about how much you spent every day then having to go home pennyless with tail between your legs - your credability is as it is...zero

now go get a thread going of your own "how to become pennyless in Pattaya" we'll all be over to give you our opinions :)

Regarding the financial part, I wrote it: 2 taxi dirvers + 1 of their motorbike, they will take you at your home for 200-300 bahts, even if you are living 5km after sukhumvit in the dark side ! I do that every week, this is a fact !

2 points are actually unclear:

1 - during songran, are the check points everywhere in Pattaya and everynight ?

2 - will the check points last AFTER songran ? is it a new policy ?

For the last point, today nobody knows ! And I suggest everyone to avoid to drive drunked in Pattaya for at least 1 month, wait & see !

I guess poeple living on the dark side have been forced to do so at gunpoint. So its just natural to get them a special treatment and they should all be allowed to continue there drunk driving ... rolleyes.gif

What's your problem? Lost 50 baht on a game of pool to someone living on the dark side, did you?

What about never ever Drink and Drive and not just 1 single month ????

Let's be constructive and try to give good advices for readers !

PS: Read my posts once more, I used to take taxis BEFORE the songran check-points..

My Constructive point is ......... Don't drink and Drive because that's the only solution to this problem, as you won't get caught

And I suggest everyone to avoid to drive drunked in Pattaya for at least 1 month, wait & see !

Edit: //

I for one, hope this stays and I hope that it even intensifies Nation Wide

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

What about never ever Drink and Drive and not just 1 single month ????

Let's be constructive and try to give good advices for readers !

PS: Read my posts once more, I used to take taxis BEFORE the songran check-points..

My Constructive point is ......... Don't drink and Drive because that's the only solution to this problem, as you won't get caught

And I suggest everyone to avoid to drive drunked in Pattaya for at least 1 month, wait & see !

Absolutley, let's give the boys in brown more ways to line there pockets and hold a gun to the nations head! whistling.gif

I don't have anything to do with driving when i am in pattaya i am lucky to live only a few minutes on foot from walking st.

I have seen the pattaya tai checkpoint being used for breath tests several times in the past and well after midnight. saw it at xmas/ new year and last years songkran, high profile times when the cops make a show of putting a bit of effort in.

friend of a mate of mine got done last songkran time early morning after his first night in town when he got up early and hungry looking for breakfast. he got fined next day about 6,000 bht but was informed as he left the court that they (the cops ) were obliged to take him to immigration for deportation as he was now a criminal or they could lose the paperwork.

the paperwork got lost and he lost another 30,000 bht.

most times when they are doing the helmet checks at pattaya tai they are gone well before midnight, but the breath test stops go on much much later and i think this catches out everybody as they are not expecting police activity that late at night

2 points are actually unclear:

1 - during songran, are the check points everywhere in Pattaya and everynight ?

2 - will the check points last AFTER songran ? is it a new policy ?

For the last point, today nobody knows ! And I suggest everyone to avoid to drive drunked in Pattaya for at least 1 month, wait & see !

There was a road block on the darkside at the crossroads about 5 k up from Suk. at about 10pm tonight. (Near to where you live Raro) I had only had a couple of soda's, and was waved though. I went straight home after stoping at 711 for further refreshment

Most of the motorbike taxis I had taken over the first 2 years were more drunk than me, which is why I have driven after 2 or 3 beers for the last 8 years. If I have had more than about 4 or more beers I normally stay in a hotel over night, although not always if I felt unafected.

I think my trips to Pattaya town in the future will be very limited , unless I can get a lift into town. As Raro stated earlier, no taxis or baht busses available a few miles up SC Club. (Maybe you can open a Music bar at your house Raro.)

I am not one to get drunk every night, but looking at the tables, it seems that more that 2 beers a night over a couple of hours can get you locked up in what compares to a WW2 japanese prison camp, ... and then maybe later deported losing everything you own in Thailand.

I really hope the OP had a a sucsessful day and didn't geet his visa revoked.

Edited by mike100

I am not affected by this as I drive a car and I have never driven in Thailand after drinking any alcohol--it's my policy. Friends of mine who don't have the same policy often kid me for this, but I'm firm. To me of all the laws in the world, this one is one that should be obeyed.

I have come across many, many others who do not agree and who drink and drive. I cannot change them, but I do not condone their behavior--I am completely opposed to it and think the law should be enforced strenuously and fairly.

However, given my experience here , I expect that the law in Thailand will be enforced spottily and unfairly. I can easily see someone under the legal limit being caught up in the narrow net they are casting, and that's a shame.

Edited by Jimmyd
  • Like 1

I also agree that the transport charges for a taxi to the darkside costing 500baht is rediculous considering you can hire a bahtbus for an evening for about 1000baht - take a taxi to BKK Airport for 900baht - hire a minibus for 2000baht a day...

Who has ever been quoted such a price? On the occasion when I have had car trouble and had to get back to the Farside, the most its even been has been B 200...usually B 60-100.

At most beer-bars at least, one can just sleep it off at the bar and drive home sometime the next day...if you have a car, sleep it off in there...keep you, others, and your finances safe :)

Absolutley, let's give the boys in brown more ways to line there pockets and hold a gun to the nations head! whistling.gif

People only worry about money and not about the consequences of Drinking and Driving. If you killed someone because you where drinking and driving, that doesn't go away in the Morning after you sobered up. It's stays with you for the Rest of your Life.

jap.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Little off topic

One of my customers(guests) was arrested for drink driving the other day at 6AM.

He was taken into custody and is awaiting court hearing today.

What is the procedure in Thailand? DO they just get fined? or jail time? does anyone have any idea???

PS. He does not have a lawyer

Little off topic

One of my customers(guests) was arrested for drink driving the other day at 6AM.

What is the procedure in Thailand? DO they just get fined? or jail time? does anyone have any idea???

I think this is perfectly laid out / explained in the OP (or Opening Post or First Post which started this Thread)

Did you read it ?

Spelling

Edited by MJCM

Little off topic

Hardly off topic, that was the whole point of the OP

Approximately how many beers does the limit equate to?

If I venture out I have a maximum of three draft beers over a period of about 90 minutes and usually ride my motorcycle home.

I'm a big guy and never feel anywhere remotely drunk after three drafts.

I have been stopped many times not at Pattaya Tai but at the Soi Kaow Noi/Railway road junction but have never been breathalysed they just ask me for my license.

• Like 1

Little off topic

I think this is perfectly laid out / explained in the OP (or Opening Post or First Post which started this Thread)

Did you read it ?

Spelling

NO, i did not, but thank you for pointing it out in such a mannered way

Approximately how many beers does the limit equate to?

If I venture out I have a maximum of three draft beers over a period of about 90 minutes and usually ride my motorcycle home.

I'm a big guy and never feel anywhere remotely drunk after three drafts.

I have been stopped many times not at Pattaya Tai but at the Soi Kaow Noi/Railway road junction but have never been breathalysed they just ask me for my license.

This is a quote I found on the net,

There is no definitive answer to this one. It entirely depends on factors to do with the alcohol i.e the strength of it, and on factors which relate to you as an individual.

Those factors would relate to your weight; height; general health ( particularly relating to liver function) but also to whether you had eaten beforehand and to the speed of consumption of the alcohol.

To summarise, there is no absolute way of saying at what point you would be 'over the limit'

I would add, alcohol, even in small quantities, can affect the ability to react appropriately when driving, and the safest thing would be not to drink.

Another Website on this.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/amount-of-drinks-it-takes-to-get-over-the-legal-limit.html (Note here they mention the Legal Limit as 0.1 but in Thailand it's 0.05 (So half)

• Like 1