The 'Perfect' Truck?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I'd like to narrow it down and reduce the high tech talk a bit if poss.

For example, I spent ages checking out the main competitors last year, Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsu, Nissan, etc. all are good of course, with the Vigo being the smoothest (imo) but couldn't get over how 'dated' and 'boxy' they still are with the exception of the Triton.

I eventually settled on the 4 dr Triton but I reckon mitsu still have a long way to go. There are some things I'm quite pleased with, the power is adequate, and am still impressed by the styling..the ride isn't so bad and it never lets me down..pretty much what I would expect from a modern motor. But there are many things I'm not happy with, I find the gearbox rough, seats v uncomfortable , the misu 'service' is rubbish to name just a few.

I don't expect saloon car ride or comfort but am disappointed with whats currently on offer, including the new Ford & Mazda.

My question to you then is: What is it you really want from a truck? and could you identify the good and bad stuff from what you've already known to create the 'perfect truck'?

Yes, the perfect truck cannot be bought here, although it is called the Ford F150! I just bought a Toyota Vigo G, and very pleased with it, it may be dated, but I liked the looks for a long time, so not a problem! I ordered a Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrack at the show last fall, and grew very tired of all the excuses why it took 5 months to give a price, changed the date of delivery more times than I can count, and all the excuses,Changed from flood delay, faulty wiring, and such. I have cancelled my order last month and still getting excuses why I have to wait for refund of deposit!

I did look at Mitsubishi and Isuzu as well, and they just couldn't put the things I wanted in package for price and timeframe. I just don't like the looks of Triton or Mazda, and Isuzu wouldn't even bend on bedliner or free insurance!

Lot will find fault with my choice, but I am satisfied as is my wife, and we are the only ones we have to please, so make your choices as well, but by all means look at all to see what makes you happy.

Last said, I like power, looks, and dependability, which only comes from across the seas, so for now, I settled for Thai restrictions, but if it weren't cost prohibitive, My F150 would have made the trip with me!

• Like 1

I don't think many will argue your choice Backwoods, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the best seller here this year..nearly decided on the Vigo myself after having the use of my mates new one for a few weeks. Another mate also ordered the 3.2 Ford Ranger last year and is also dissapointed so he's changed to the 2.2.

If I could mix n' match I reckon the refinement of the Toyota coupled with the style (but improved) of the Mitsu would suit me fine. I rather like the front end & curved lines of the Mitsu but don't rate the drive much better than my previous Isuzu.

Power & reliabilty I take for granted nowadays but the design boys seem stuck for ideas over recent years, the new Mazda is clearly a good attempt to break away from the pack but it doesn't quite work for me..maybe an aquired taste' over time?

I do like the look of the Oz Maloo tho WebBK and enjoyed the vid (thx for that) at over 400 bhp maybe just a tad more than I'm searching for :-)

If I could mix n' match I reckon the refinement of the Toyota coupled with the style (but improved) of the Mitsu would suit me fine. I rather like the front end & curved lines of the Mitsu but don't rate the drive much better than my previous Isuzu.

I made the same choice as you late last year for similar reasons plus the value was better and I agree with most of your observations especially on the gearbox.

However I went for a version with leather seats and I have been quite pleased. In the UK I had to have lumbar supports otherwise my lower back felt terrible after a couple of hours driving. I have made a 8 hour journey in the Triton and felt better than expected when I got out.

Yes, the perfect truck cannot be bought here, although it is called the Ford F150!

but if it weren't cost prohibitive, My F150 would have made the trip with me!

Thats funny mine is spelled Dodge Ram 1500 wink.png

Kidding aside we have our favorites & I feel the same way.

Would love to bring mine along but costs aside....the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Hard to grab the parking stub at the lots from the attendant smile.png

Edited by flying

As far as trucks go VW have a nice looking one. I also like those larger American Toyota pickups you'll see in Laos.

As far as the Triton looks like they tried to make a truck not look like a truck. All a bit weird for me. But ultimately it's all upto the individual.

As far as trucks go VW have a nice looking one. I also like those larger American Toyota pickups you'll see in Laos.

As far as the Triton looks like they tried to make a truck not look like a truck. All a bit weird for me. But ultimately it's all upto the individual.

VW don't sell here in Thailand, and yes it does look good but has a small engine for its size and M/T only!

Does the Vigo have a heater?

I noticed my Ranger does not, prob wont need it, but still.

Why on earth would you need a heater, even being in the northern Pai village winter time, we did not need a heater ??

Why on earth would you need a heater, even being in the northern Pai village winter time, we did not need a heater ??

What time of a day?...If you start early enough(or late at night),you windows will get foggy right away...so the only option is to roll down windows...and believe me,it can get cold very quick .

What time of a day?...If you start early enough(or late at night),you windows will get foggy right away...so the only option is to roll down windows...and believe me,it can get cold very quick .

x2 what funcat said. If you get in a rain in winter month up north, it can get cold + your windows will start fogging. One way to un-fog them is to roll down the windows (can't do that if it's raining) or turn on A/C which will make it even cooler. In my pick up in Canada I can run an A/C together with heater and keep my windows clear.

Back to the OP, Thailand doesn't have a perfect truck, I didn't see one anyways. ;)

x2 what funcat said. If you get in a rain in winter month up north, it can get cold + your windows will start fogging. One way to un-fog them is to roll down the windows (can't do that if it's raining) or turn on A/C which will make it even cooler. In my pick up in Canada I can run an A/C together with heater and keep my windows clear.

Back to the OP, Thailand doesn't have a perfect truck, I didn't see one anyways. wink.png

Yes I guess all Thai trucks do not have a demister vents but with the Vigo, I'd switch the rear windscreen demister on and the air-con switch to take air from outside that use to do the trick and with door rain shields you could open the window enough to keep the windscreens clear.

The car has a front windscreen demister so no problem with air switched to outside intake.

Yes I guess all Thai trucks do not have a demister vents but with the Vigo, I'd switch the rear windscreen demister on and the air-con switch to take air from outside that use to do the trick and with door rain shields you could open the window enough to keep the windscreens clear.

The car has a front windscreen demister so no problem with air switched to outside intake.

the new Ranger and Mazda BT50 actually have demister vents up front..'bout f..g time ..assuming my BT50 4x4 3.2 EVER gets here!! The BT50 2.2 is a great vehicle to drive and very SUV like...nice truck.

• Like 1

Ultimate truck?

easy... the Ford F650:

f650.jpg

For those looking for a heater, in TH you'll need to buy a truck/car with climate control... then you'll be able to survive the drive to Doi Inthanon in winter smile.png

Yeh, had to sell it, wouldn't go through my gate. laugh.png

...as for a parking...use VIP bus spacebiggrin.png

"Yes I guess all Thai trucks do not have a demister vents"..sry to contradict David but the Isuzu has had demisters for ages..as far as know they were the only ones up till now so it's good to hear the Ranger & Mazda have finally caught on.

All the others simply have blanks altho if I recall right the Nissan actually has the vents..but only for show :-) even my flippin' toyota sportrider didn't have em (when I asked the salesman simply laughed and pointed out that it's only a 1.2 mill baht truck!. And yes u can use the air con to clear the screen but this is a pain..cold n' noisy! so I had to always keep a soft cloth handy.

I like the look of the Super Trucks, good post, particularly the Porta Party, nice paint job, side steps a bit over the top but I could live with it.

Ultimate truck?

easy... the Ford F650:

f650.jpg

For those looking for a heater, in TH you'll need to buy a truck/car with climate control... then you'll be able to survive the drive to Doi Inthanon in winter smile.png

I'd tear down my gate and fence for that!! That definately beat out my F150!!!

Ultimate truck?

easy... the Ford F650:

f650.jpg

I'd tear down my gate and fence for that!! That definitely beat out my F150!!!

Can't do, Thai wife and all the Buddha stuff. rolleyes.gif

Ultimate truck?

easy... the Ford F650:

f650.jpg

Any chance of a big wheel option? Those wheel wells look awefully empty.