Huge Shake Here In Kata

LivinginKata

A wave from Indonesia takes literally hours. Time to go home without panic, fire up the computer and get the *right* info, pack a few thinks like a blanket, rain jacket, and a few things to eat (maybe not *just* enough for yourself), then orderly proceed to the best-suited mountain/high rise/etc. In case of being a tourist, if you have the time and can, get your passport and some money, because in case of a real problem you will need it.

But not every tsunami come from Indonesia. I'm not advising panic, but a tsunami created just off shore, however unlikely, could arrive in minutes. Tsunami's can also be created by underwater landslides and volcanic eruptions. In fact you may not even have the luxury of an earthquake to warn us of those, only our occasionally missing and flat batteried tsunami buoys. I think your advice is just a bit on the side of complacency. Perhaps your experience has solidified in your mind what a tsunami is. That assumption is incorrect. You can't assume anything.

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wave from Indonesia takes literally hours. Time to go home without panic, fire up the computer and get the *right* info, pack a few thinks like a blanket, rain jacket, and a few things to eat (maybe not *just* enough for yourself), then orderly proceed to the best-suited mountain/high rise/etc. In case of being a tourist, if you have the time and can, get your passport and some money, because in case of a real problem you will need it.

But not every tsunami come from Indonesia. I'm not advising panic, but a tsunami created just off shore, however unlikely, could arrive in minutes. Tsunami's can also be created by underwater landslides and volcanic eruptions. In fact you may not even have the luxury of an earthquake to warn us of those, only our occasionally missing and flat batteried tsunami buoys. I think your advice is just a bit on the side of complacency. Perhaps your experience has solidified in your mind what a tsunami is. That assumption is incorrect. You can't assume anything.

No, we are discussing not a theoretical event, but an event where the quake was felt, with clear information about its source, and additionally I am advising to monitor the relevant information coming forward.

Yes, there could be other scenarios and sources, like a large quake in the Andaman islands; a tsunami would be reaching Phuket in 20 minutes. You would be also safe of any possible imaginable tsunami wave if you walked past Jungceylon or past the police station towards Nanai Road.

Still no need wrecking your car or driving over other fleeing pedestrians in your panic-stricken fight to reach first the perceived safety of a mountain top.

I hope we agree at least about the last point.

You would be also safe of any possible imaginable tsunami wave if you walked past Jungceylon or past the police station towards Nanai Road.

The 33 metre high Japanese tsunami last year reached 10 km inland.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

The tsunami last year in Japan was 10-12m high, not 33m, maybe it was 33 feet. The reason it went so wrong for them was their sea walls which were meant to stop it were only around 10m high. They had built them with worst case scenario in mind, but it wasn't enough.

A tsunami of that size here would have to be way out in the ocean so people would have enough warning to evacuate, because the buoys will have registered it.

By the way, looking at USGS real time data, most of those tremors we felt last night coincide with quakes off the coast of Sumatra.

Technically we could have quakes here but that would mean we would have a fault line that ran through this island. I have no idea if we do. but the tectonic pressure being released and created by the 8.6 from last week would be the cause. But this is all speculation.

When I catch up with some geography teacher mates who have lived here for a while and ask them about a fault line on the island.

The tsunami last year in Japan was 10-12m high, not 33m, maybe it was 33 feet. The reason it went so wrong for them was their sea walls which were meant to stop it were only around 10m high. They had built them with worst case scenario in mind, but it wasn't enough.

A tsunami of that size here would have to be way out in the ocean so people would have enough warning to evacuate, because the buoys will have registered it.

By the way, looking at USGS real time data, most of those tremors we felt last night coincide with quakes off the coast of Sumatra.

Technically we could have quakes here but that would mean we would have a fault line that ran through this island. I have no idea if we do. but the tectonic pressure being released and created by the 8.6 from last week would be the cause. But this is all speculation.

When I catch up with some geography teacher mates who have lived here for a while and ask them about a fault line on the island.

Fault lines in TH - http://twitpic.com/4d9ito

So that's what it was! Well I'm glad it was an earthquake coz I thought I was getting senile, a bit unsteady on my feet like. Well, I felt it at Pahlawan Power Station in Tanjon Kling, Malaka, Malaysia. Now where was I.......................?

Another small aftershock at Ban Liphon, Thalang 12:18pm today. That makes a total of 5 by my recogning - 3 yesterday, 8:30am this morning and just now. Story is being updated by //link removed//

Edited by Tywais
Link to disallowed site removed

A reminder of the below following rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

BTW... has ANYBODY heard the TSUNAMI Towers working ANYWHERE on the island last week ???

Nai Harn Beach and Rawaqi Beach Towers not working, even if there is no Tsunami, the WARNING Towers should work...OR NOT?

I was in Rawai last week and can confirm that the tower there sounded before we were told to evacuate.

No, we are discussing not a theoretical event, but an event where the quake was felt, with clear information about its source, and additionally I am advising to monitor the relevant information coming forward.

Yes, there could be other scenarios and sources, like a large quake in the Andaman islands; a tsunami would be reaching Phuket in 20 minutes. You would be also safe of any possible imaginable tsunami wave if you walked past Jungceylon or past the police station towards Nanai Road.

Still no need wrecking your car or driving over other fleeing pedestrians in your panic-stricken fight to reach first the perceived safety of a mountain top.

I hope we agree at least about the last point.

I hate it when I am right on the obvious things: Dane dies of blood loss after Phuket tsunami evacuation

http://phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12823.html

A drunken motor bike accident. Too drunk to seek medical treatment. Bled to death in his room.

Happened the previous wednesday during the evacuation warning when it was thought a wave was coming.

But why would he be evacuating if he is in a hotel on a hill over a kilometer from the shore?

A drunken motor bike accident. Too drunk to seek medical treatment. Bled to death in his room.

Happened the previous wednesday during the evacuation warning when it was thought a wave was coming.

But why would he be evacuating if he is in a hotel on a hill over a kilometer from the shore?

I don't know what he was doing, thinking or where he was coming from.

The report only said he had an accident during the (first) evacuation following the very large Sumartra quake. The authorities called an official evacuation based on assumptions a wave was on the way.

The poster from Korat, who seems to know all about the quake we had on Phuket without experiencing it, intimated the guy was a victim of unnecessary panic during the second evacuation.

I merely pointed out facts known without speculation.

Edited by Old Croc

I was unaware that the autopsy indicated the presence of alcohol. When was this drunken state revealed?

You are aware that seemingly mild head injuries can cause death are you not?

One need not be drunk to have a fall off a motorbike. I've done it and probably so too have others.

I was unaware that the autopsy indicated the presence of alcohol. When was this drunken state revealed?

You are aware that seemingly mild head injuries can cause death are you not?

One need not be drunk to have a fall off a motorbike. I've done it and probably so too have others.

I was unaware they did autopsies here at all. As you have knowledge of one could you advise the results?

The drunken verdict was delivered by a resort worker who tried to get him to go to hospital. Not the greatest source admittedly, but par for course on Phuket.

Your last three sentences seem irrelevant to what I said.

I await your facts on the case.

After a four hour drive was at Central intersection heading to Kata and started getting calls from all over Thailand from people watching TV.

Within 10 minutes the network was stuffed.. impossible to make a call (AIS) and sod all official on the radio . ( so much for getting on line!)

Kata hill packed with vehicles and people ( some <deleted> in a 6 wheel was doing a 5 point turn on the Chalong side of the frickin hill on the bend!!)..eventually drove into Kata..like ghost town except for my mate's bar/restaurant..everyone sitting around with a beer and my mate asleep upstairs.

...wonder the warning system does not have an all clear signal.

There is an evacuation route sign at Kata central by the road to Club Med..it is pointing toward the beach!

TIT!

After a four hour drive was at Central intersection heading to Kata and started getting calls from all over Thailand from people watching TV.

Within 10 minutes the network was stuffed.. impossible to make a call (AIS) and sod all official on the radio . ( so much for getting on line!)

Kata hill packed with vehicles and people ( some <deleted> in a 6 wheel was doing a 5 point turn on the Chalong side of the frickin hill on the bend!!)..eventually drove into Kata..like ghost town except for my mate's bar/restaurant..everyone sitting around with a beer and my mate asleep upstairs.

...wonder the warning system does not have an all clear signal.

There is an evacuation route sign at Kata central by the road to Club Med..it is pointing toward the beach!

TIT!

Hi there - I am comming to kata soon - about the aftershocks - is it kaos there or is everything ok?

The poster from Korat, who seems to know all about the quake we had on Phuket without experiencing it, intimated the guy was a victim of unnecessary panic during the second evacuation.

I merely pointed out facts known without speculation.

Obviously you are not veru good in your fact finding... why would you believe that I am located in Khorat -- even though my profile actually states otherwise, I talked about being in the traffic during the event itself, posted a link to a photo gallery.

'Nuff said.

Edited by george
bad language