Thaksin Expected To Return In Four Months: Surapong

Lite Beer

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know whether or not most Thais want Mr T to return. I do know that the Thai electorate consistently elects his party, faction or proxies, however you want to call them, whenever they elect a government.

As I have said before, that is the elephant in the corner of the room. You can ignore it, deny it exists , or explain it away, but it does not go away.

Until that is addressed, and inevitably that means that Mr T must be allowed to return, Thailand will remain in a state of political paralysis.

Failing that i suppose you can, as some here have suggested, have him "dealt with".

That should really annoy the elephant!

Edited by JAG

PM'S FUGITIVE BROTHER

Thaksin can return once reconciliation law goes into effect : FM

THE NATION

30180156-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra should return to Thailand once a new law on national reconciliation goes into effect in three or four months, Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday.

Surapong, who is also an MP from the ruling Pheu Thai Party, said he saw no obstacles to such a law and believed that most Thai people wanted to see national reconciliation being achieved.

While celebrating Songkran in Laos and Cambodia last week, Thaksin encouraged national reconciliation, saying he could then "return home" in time for his birthday on July 26.

The Opposition and political critics have said the reconciliation law had been designed to act as a front for granting Thaksin amnesty and whitewashing the wrongdoings he committed while serving as prime minister.

In 2008, Thaksin was sentenced to two years in jail for abuse of power, but he left the country just before the Supreme Court read the verdict and has not returned since.

Surapong yesterday called on Thai people to forget about the past and look to the future. "If we reconcile, all our conflicts will be over and Thaksin will be able to return. If we only look at the past, we will never reach the future. Today Thailand needs to look toward the future," the minister said.

He said the Cabinet would soon be considering a draft law on national reconciliation. "For the country to achieve reconciliation, all parties should forgive. We should stop playing politics or our country will go nowhere," he said.

The families of those killed during the unrest fuelled by the more than two months of street protests by Thaksin's supporters, have recently called for facts about the deaths of their loved ones. They said that granting amnesty was not the only aspect of achieving true reconciliation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

This will scare away even more international investors, who already feel reluctant to invest in Thailand due to corruption and institutionalised bribery. The major foreign corporate investors seek countries with "legal accountability" and "level playing field" & these types of business fail-safes, and so they will walk away from the Thaksin v2.0 govt & not feel comfortable returning for decades.

When you have criminals running the government, paying their way out of lengthy jail terms and calling the Thai Supreme Court 'meaningless', then the only international investment you will get is from foreign criminal syndicates who actually prefer to invest in corrupt lawless banana-republics. When you have mass influx of global mafia investment then your legitimate tourist industry dies because most tourists like to feel safe & that they are living in an organised and enforced legal framework with accountability and checks/balances..

The only people who suffer from loss of foreign corporate investment and loss of tourism in Thailand? Normal Thai people.

Welcome back. Are you ready for the hard work ahead? Will Thailand become a truely democratic country like England or the U.S? Good to see you back, we've all been waiting for this moment. Go get um Big T.

Forgive me, but didn't you tell us yesterday, that he would return only to spend a quiet life at home, now you believe he will be working again, at what ? Clearly not politics, since he Quit Thai Politics, several years ago ! wink.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

If he'd been an honest man,there would be no cases to waiting for him.

He could have been (and still be) the greatest Prime Minister Thailand ever had if he weren't so greedy (for money and power), corrupt, dishonest, undemocratic and megalomaniac, and was sincerely altrustic... in which case he'd be a completely different person. His opponents in the old establshment would not have had much reason (or excuse) to act against him.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 2

Surapong is the Shinawatra family version of a village idiot.

As I said on another TV Forum re Surapong...

... if his primary responsibility is to address one domestic issue (grease skids for TS), then why have him lead the Foreign Ministry? Maybe he could manage Ministry of Culture. After all, I'm sure he would dress more appropriately for the photo on the website picturing YS's Cabinet (I'm not making this up!): http://thainews.prd....ewscabinet.html

Minister of Culture Sukumol Kunplome

29.jpg

Thanksin will return if justice system is really fair: defence minister

BANGKOK:-- Defence Minister Gen Sukampol Suwannathat said Wednesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would wait until he is certain that he will receive fair trials in cases against him before returning to Thailand.

Sukampol said Thaksin wanted to return to Thailnad soon but he would have to wait until it was certain that the justice system would be fair.

"When the scale is not tilted he will return because he is a gentleman," Sukampol said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

Thanksin will return if justice system is really fair: defence minister

BANGKOK:-- Defence Minister Gen Sukampol Suwannathat said Wednesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would wait until he is certain that he will receive fair trials in cases against him before returning to Thailand.

Sukampol said Thaksin wanted to return to Thailnad soon but he would have to wait until it was certain that the justice system would be fair.

"When the scale is not tilted he will return because he is a gentleman," Sukampol said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

Doesn't look like he'll be back anytime soon then.

Welcome back. Are you ready for the hard work ahead? Will Thailand become a truely democratic country like England or the U.S? Good to see you back, we've all been waiting for this moment. Go get um Big T.

Thaksin is an anti-democrat. All of his actions proved that. The evidence and reasons have been posted elsewhere on this board and I really haven't got the energy to repeat all of that now. Democracy is simply a word that his PR people hijacked in order to undermine the Democrats and build a quassi-fascist movement.

I have not noticed any political group in Thailand that merits the adjective democrat. The Democrat party is clearly no more democratic than the PT party.

Both are simply groups involved in a power struggle.

Thailand was doing much better in the Thaksin's years... Now he says he will not take a politic role anymore... still I am sure he will act as counselor or consultant. I believe it's a good thing as I consider him as a wise and successful man.

Thailand was on war with Cambodia along the "yellow" years, peace came back soon after Yingluck victory...

Thailand was doing much better in the Thaksin's years... Now he says he will not take a politic role anymore... still I am sure he will act as counselor or consultant. I believe it's a good thing as I consider him as a wise and successful man.

Thailand was on war with Cambodia along the "yellow" years, peace came back soon after Yingluck victory...

Nobody believes what he says. Not even his most ardent supporters.

Thaksin manufactured and orchestrated the conflict via his friendship with Hun Sen. Yes Kasit didn't improve things, but without Thaksin's "help" the two countries would not have been drawn half as deeply as they were.

And so now you want to give Thaksin (and his sister) credit for calling it off?

Gee whiz, I wonder why? It would take a great intellect to figure this one out. Please phone a friend.

The southern viiolence has nothing to do with Thaksin returning. You know that, we know that, but once you all start this hate mail for Thaksin you just can't help yourselves. Shame on you.

I'm not talking about the Southern Violence, but how the Southern Thai Bhuddists think about him. Look at the electoral map from the last election.

OK lets make this simple. I got this in an exchange from a forum mod liiving on Samui. Representatives from a Thaksinista government went to the island, investigating corruption. They needed police protection, as the locals started stoning them. Imagine what your hero would get if his friends were only stoned. Thaksin is not just disliked south of Prachuap Kiri Khan, it goes deeper than that, he's hated. He's using up valuable oxygen. The difference is PTP were allowed to campaign down here