Does Passport Control Really Ask To See A Wad Of Cash When You Arrive?

I have a friend coming to visit in a couple of weeks. He's Vietnamese (student in his last year of college) and will be flying in, staying with me for seven days.

Another friend (50-something Vietnamese guy who has been living in the states for 30 years or so, but has traveled a lot through out SE Asia) said that I should tell the youngster to make sure he has at least $300 USD in his pocket to show the passport officer at Suvharnabhumi in case he is asked how he'll fund his seven-day adventure. He also said that it must be in USD as the passport officer might not even recognize VND and even if he does, he won't know the exchange rate off the top of his head.

Does this really happen? I was never asked to flash my cash at the passport officer on any of my VOAs over the past several years.

$300 sounds awfully high especially since I'll be hosting him, so he won't need to pay for food or lodging. Exchanging VND for USD might be a minor pain in the neck in Vietnam as the bank often asks to see proof of travel, and he doesn't have a ticket (just the email booking confirmation from Air Asia).

I have never seen or heard of anyone being asked to show proof of income but it can happen I guess. I would imagine if you show up looking like your are homeless they might ask to see some funds. I think a credit card will be sufficient if it has at least a $300 limit.

This requirement doesn't sound as anything new, and i think to remember that it was acceptable to just withdraw the requested amount from the atm, always check back the money if they pass hands, police in this country have more than a reputation for operating in an unexpected way.....i mean they are a bunch of th*&v#ng b@$t@+s , hope this helps

i was curious at this as well. will a bank statement printout and credit will do?

Would your bank's statement print out be of any use inside the pockets of somebody asking to "see" the CASH?

the first time i came to thailand 3 years ago not knowing anything about thailand i was asked where i was staying and my plans etc and the

luckely a friend told me the name of a street called kosan road that i had scribbled on a piece of paper,

i only had little amount of philipiine money maybe 100$ worth, i did have an atm card.

i was curious at this as well. will a bank statement printout and credit will do?

Would your bank's statement print out be of any use inside the pockets of somebody asking to "see" the CASH?

definitely not. but i i would assume the immigration officers to be slightly difference from usual traffic polices or i am awfully wrong blink.png

to be slightly difference from usual traffic polices or i am awfully wrong blink.png

The difference is that they don't have problem is showing their face, no needs to cover up their face complitely as if there is a robbery taking place...

I have never seen or heard of anyone being asked to show proof of income but it can happen I guess. I would imagine if you show up looking like your are homeless they might ask to see some funds. I think a credit card will be sufficient if it has at least a $300 limit.

Well, years ago I was asked to show money doing a border run to Mae Sai. I had the money prepared in my pocket and showed them, they didn't count it though.

He has a bank card (student account with Agribank) but I think it's only a debit card, not a credit card. But that seems like a strange method of proving finances. Even if it was a credit card, how does the official know that it's any good and/or isn't maxed-out?

I will tell him to try to have as much USD in his pocket as possible just in case this happens or bring a copy of a bank statement if he gets one from this bank.

Although it is not common to ask for proof it is a requirement and could be required if immigration officer feels there is some doubt about entry, For cards an ATM receipt could be obtained at airport if required.

Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds

includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known

credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are:

holders of a re-entry visa.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/