How Funny Is Thai Comedy?

Rsquared

G'day

I have now lived here in Thailand for 12 months and unfortunately still cannot read or speak Thai (but am now determined to learn).

My question is after watching much Thai television, there seems to be many comedy shows and game shows that appear to be very funny, but I have NO CLUE as to what they are saying. Is it as funny as it appears to be or just plain silly.

Is it witty and clever?

How does it compare to Oz, British and American humour?

Do I have a good laugh to look forward to once I learn to understand Thai language?

Thanks guys.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a highly sophisticated form of humour which many fail to understand riddled with double meanings and cutting edge political satire. I hear that it takes many years of training to be able to reach the exalted status of 'boing' man who does the additional sound effects to provide the extra cues needed to ensure that those that are less enlightened to the subtlety of thai humour know when to laugh.

That has made my day...cheers...

Brilliant...

• Like 2

watch "Mum" (Petchtai Wongkamlao) and his team....

Or, Note Udom. Very funny stand-up comedian.

(Similar to stand-up in a Western sence, not the typical slapstic team with a midget, a ladyboy, etc. Some posters above seem to have a very limited exposure to Thai comedy. Or perhaps Thailand in general)

The inane slapstick stuff on primetime tv is awful, truly awful, but it's no worse or more inane the crappier primetime sitcoms and comedy of the west - it caters to keep the masses happy and - as someone once said - you never lost money by underestimating people's tastes.

Having said that, there is also a rich vein of very good satire and stand-up comedy that doesnt make primetime. I saw a standup show by a Thai comedian (in English) in HK a while ago and it was excellent. Having said that, there is no way he could have used his material in Thailand.

To Mr. Rsquared, just learning the language is only half the battle when it comes to understanding the subtleties of the words and its actual meaning. It also requires knowledge of the culture in all its forms. For instance, the wildly successful US comedy Seinfeld would never hit it off in, say, Japan, because the meaning simply can't be translated. Same with Leno and Letterman on late night--I doubt most Euros would even understand some of the quips, even if they understood English perfectly.

None of the TV readership understands Thai well enough to be able to answer your question. Why don't you ask a Thai person?

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

watch "Mum" (Petchtai Wongkamlao) and his team....

Or, Note Udom. Very funny stand-up comedian.

(Similar to stand-up in a Western sence, not the typical slapstic team with a midget, a ladyboy, etc. Some posters above seem to have a very limited exposure to Thai comedy. Or perhaps Thailand in general)

A lot of posters have only seen the stuff of thai tv. I go to the cinama and watch the Thai films (they have English subtitles). Mostly the ones with Petchtai Wongkamlao (Mum) in it. The films are very funny. I recommend a film called Saranae Hen Pee (สาระแนเห็นผี), If you can find it on DVD with English sub's.

The clip is a lot more funny if you watch the film because of the build up to that scene. But there are better and much more funny scene's in that film. I couldn't find one on Youtube with English sub's, so i just posted this one.

Edited by dean999

I find many Thai television shows very funny... especially those that are supposed to be serious.

I know what you mean. I once watched a tv programme where Thai's had to stay by themselfs in a haunted room and take pictures. I was laughing my tit's off.

Charlie Chaplin/ slapstick /cued noises/ cheap kid's circus clowns/ all very 1920's

personally I find it not the slightest bit entertaining and even go so far as to say irritating.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

Like all humour, much is cultural and "in jokes". While I find it tedious, the Thais I know love it. However, they don't understand western humour.

I wouldn't learn Thai just to understand the Thai "comedy" shows!

I think Mr Bean is quite popular here. My significant other likes him.

Like all humour, much is cultural and "in jokes". While I find it tedious, the Thais I know love it. However, they don't understand western humour.

Mrs Soutpeel enjoyed "The Full Monty" and the "The life of Brian"...but think she strugged a bit with BlackAdder, maybe not understanding the historical context, and expecting Rowan Akinson to burst into a "Mr Bean" type character all the time

Mrs Soutpeel enjoyed "The Full Monty" and the "The life of Brian"...but think she strugged a bit with BlackAdder, maybe not understanding the historical context, and expecting Rowan Akinson to burst into a "Mr Bean" type character all the time

I think she was familiar with the haggling part. laugh.png