How Funny Is Thai Comedy?

Rsquared

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find many Thai television shows very funny... especially those that are supposed to be serious.

I know what you mean. I once watched a tv programme where Thai's had to stay by themselfs in a haunted room and take pictures. I was laughing my tit's off.

Yeh its on now... ghost hunters on Thai channel 5... its on once per week... on today's episode a gay and a tranny are messing around with candles in a "haunted" house... too funny

Like all humour, much is cultural and "in jokes". While I find it tedious, the Thais I know love it. However, they don't understand western humour.

I wouldn't learn Thai just to understand the Thai "comedy" shows!

I think Mr Bean is quite popular here. My significant other likes him.

Don't know, though my wife seems to find him humerous- but not to the point of rolling around on the bed helpless with laughter like an ex of mine used to do watching the slapstick Thai shows- but I'd say that's because his humour is visual, rather than verbal, and thus universal ( perhaps ).

• Like 1

The Thai stand up comedian Note Udom is quite funny and the humour translates to Western humour quite well.

Here's a short skit with English subtitles about being dumped by your gf:

Well aren't we all eating our hats? sick.gif

Like all humour, much is cultural and "in jokes". While I find it tedious, the Thais I know love it. However, they don't understand western humour.

Don't know, though my wife seems to find him humerous- but not to the point of rolling around on the bed helpless with laughter like an ex of mine used to do watching the slapstick Thai shows- but I'd say that's because his humour is visual, rather than verbal, and thus universal ( perhaps ).

Some kids were watching a Mr Bean video at a house party I was at a year or so ago and I couldn't help noticing that a voice over had been overdubbed on to it.

Some

kids were watching a Mr Bean video at a house party I was at a year or so ago and I couldn't help noticing that a voice over had been overdubbed on to it.

Yes, there is some talking on a Bean skit, but not usually much by the man himself. If you notice, they aren't usually funny characters either, more as foils for the master ( except possibly the 3 wheel car, if you count that as a character ).

It is a little-known fact I’ve just made up that several years ago the sound engineers’ union, whose name translates as Thais Who Add The Sounds, negotiated/bribed their way to a piecework deal known as the 2 Baht-per-Boing system.

Once it’s understood that 85% of the programme budget goes to the T.W.A.T.S., other aspects of Thai tv become clearer.

The studios can’t afford scriptwriters, but fortunately one of the studio bosses is married to a teacher. The scripts are written by Mrs Somchai’s Creative Writing class of 12 year olds.

The studios can only afford to pay for the first 2 lessons from the Actors’ Coaching Manual for their Models-turned-Actresses.

Lesson 1. The “Rich girl not getting her own way” Pout.

Lesson 2. The “I’m the Bad Girl in this show” Sneer.

The impressive mansions used as sets? Owned by T.W.A.T.S.

The lush tropical resorts where the actors go for a Lomantic getaway? Owned by T.W.A.T.S.

The private hospital where the male head of the household invariably ends up sick/dying? Owned by T.W.A.T.S.

I’m sure there are other examples…….

• Like 2

Some

kids were watching a Mr Bean video at a house party I was at a year or so ago and I couldn't help noticing that a voice over had been overdubbed on to it.

Yes, there is some talking on a Bean skit, but not usually much by the man himself. If you notice, they aren't usually funny characters either, more as foils for the master ( except possibly the 3 wheel car, if you count that as a character ).

To be fair it was a Lao soundtrack but what they were actually doing was virtually constant talking in a silly, over the top voice explaining exactly what was happenning.

I don't care how "Thai" any of you are, it's still <deleted>..

"OOh me girlfriend's dumped me, Ohhh Has she? OOh yes she has...Oh them women eh?"

Honk, Twank, BOING!! HONK HONK

Ohh women...,

Spare me....

I'd be curious to know what sorts of shows you find amusing or entertaining. I'll be more than happy to sh*t all over it.

It reminds me of Punch and Judy but with people as the puppets, or should that be muppets? I am at loss as to why the crocodile has not turned up yet. The sound effects are but cheap immitations of the 1960's Batman tv series.

I remain stunned by it all, although I can tolerate it with a beverage in one hand.

• Like 1

I must say I find Thai comedy rather baffling, but I go along without laughing, or smiling in the wrong places, however, my missus does like Fawlty Towers and The Booze Cruise, so its no so bad is it? It just goes to show we are all different!

"How does it compare to Oz, British and American humour?"

Maybe somewhere in the area American and German humor?

Not British, they have good humor.

British? You obviously haven't seen the second installment of Johnny English...

"How does it compare to Oz, British and American humour?"

Maybe somewhere in the area American and German humor?

Not British, they have good humor.

British? You obviously haven't seen the second installment of Johnny English...

Johnny English is not supposed to be funny... it is a dramatisation of a true story

• Like 1

Many thanks Orac, I thought it would be something like that, my wife laughs a lot at it but she has trouble explaining it to me and obviously everything is lost in translation.

Same here, hard for the lady to explain.

The Thai stand up comedian Note Udom is quite funny and the humour translates to Western humour quite well.

Here's a short skit with English subtitles about being dumped by your gf:

Quite good, like most comedy, it has a lot to do with the delivery.

I once watched Robin Williams do the alphabet on Sesame Street once, and I was in fits of laughter by the time he got to 'Z'.

watch "Mum" (Petchtai Wongkamlao) and his team....

Or, Note Udom. Very funny stand-up comedian.

(Similar to stand-up in a Western sence, not the typical slapstic team with a midget, a ladyboy, etc. Some posters above seem to have a very limited exposure to Thai comedy. Or perhaps Thailand in general)

A lot of posters have only seen the stuff of thai tv. I go to the cinama and watch the Thai films (they have English subtitles). Mostly the ones with Petchtai Wongkamlao (Mum) in it. The films are very funny. I recommend a film called Saranae Hen Pee (สาระแนเห็นผี), If you can find it on DVD with English sub's.

The clip is a lot more funny if you watch the film because of the build up to that scene. But there are better and much more funny scene's in that film. I couldn't find one on Youtube with English sub's, so i just posted this one.

Sorry, it's Sunday and I 'm a bit thick, but could you please point out what I am supposed to be laughing at?