Listed Rental-Prices

Ds79

Hi. I'm new in this forum. I have been looking around for some answers, but couldn't find it.

This is the situation ; Me and my friend are going to move down to pattaya / jomtien area and I have some questions.

We are looking for some house to rent, outside pattaya, not far away the beach.

We have talk about a maximum rent of 30 000 bath / month. When I look at sites offer houses, it's from 40 000 bath / month and more, is it possible to do something about the listed prices you think? 2 bedroom, pool and modern.

You're welcome to give me proposals on objects.

I tried to post a link to a house we looked at, but it was not possible.

Thanks, and I hope you will forgive me if I have missed this information somewhere.

Hi. I'm new in this forum. I have been looking around for some answers, but couldn't find it.

This is the situation ; Me and my friend are going to move down to pattaya / jomtien area and I have some questions.

We are looking for some house to rent, outside pattaya, not far away the beach.

We have talk about a maximum rent of 30 000 bath / month. When I look at sites offer houses, it's from 40 000 bath / month and more, is it possible to do something about the listed prices you think? 2 bedroom, pool and modern.

You're welcome to give me proposals on objects.

I tried to post a link to a house we looked at, but it was not possible.

Thanks, and I hope you will forgive me if I have missed this information somewhere.

Rental sites usually are quite a bit higher than the owner is willing to rent. For an apartment I rent out for say 14,000 I would advertise for 16,000 on the rental site to offset losing one month to the agent. Sometimes it's much.

I recommend if you have the time rent a cheap room for 2-3 days and drive/ride around. You will see hand made posters on telephone poles and on the fences of houses. Speak to them and set your budget lower with room to negotiate up.

Not sure about pattaya but I have a feeling 2-3 bedroom pool houses can be found for 25k.

Agents often live in could cuckoo land and simply publish the price the landlord has requested. That it will not rent at that price and simply clog up their website is apparently beyond most of them.

Best to pick your area and drive around. You'll see signs for rent and even if you do not want to go direct, you know the right price (lower than the signs as well !) and can approach an agent from there.

Beware though that many agents operate on the "finder" model where they find a tenant, the tenant pays 2 months deposit plus 2 months rent. The landlord only ever gets 1 months deposit and 1 months rent as the other months deposit is actually the agency commission. When it comes to moving out and getting back your 2 months deposit, you get disputes with landlords who never received that amount of deposit or at best you often have to wait until they get a new sucker to pay over their deposit. Best to use deposit as "first and last".

Go into the condo blocks there is usually a notice board in reception or rooms for rent ads in the shop windows on the ground floor, as an example studios in VT2 are 10,000 long term and 15k up with agents .

Not a lot of HOUSES for rent in a condo though!!

never pay the advertized price, tell the agent the limit you will pay ,he will pass it on ,there are houses where i live that have been empty for years.

Telling the agent your limit doesn't always work in your favour. The real price could be under your limit, but once he knows how much you will spend he jacks it up to your limit.

If you're looking for a bargain you need to shop around without an agent. When you see a place you like, offer less and walk away. Don't tell anyone what your limit is.

If you're looking for a bargain you need to shop around without an agent.

As a general rule, yes. Though I got my place through an agent (one of those Thai ladies that has a small office in the building) and I'm not complaining about the price.

For my one-year rental I offered half what the previous tenant paid for his one-month stay (he paid 20K) and it was accepted after the agent spent 5 minutes on the phone talking to the Thai wife of the farang owner. I doubt that I could have pulled it off without the agent's help, but who knows?

I also know several people in other popular nearby buildings who pay 10K for yearly rentals in units that are on agents' sites at 20K or more, or 15K for long term.

Negotiation is the key be it for rental or purchase. Start very low and stick to your guns. There is a huge amount of oversupply of accommodation here and it's increasing every day.

For my one-year rental I offered half what the previous tenant paid for his one-month stay (he paid 20K) and it was accepted after the agent spent 5 minutes on the phone talking to the Thai wife of the farang owner. I doubt that I could have pulled it off without the agent's help, but who knows?

Negotiation is the key be it for rental or purchase. Start very low and stick to your guns. There is a huge amount of oversupply of accommodation here and it's increasing every day.

Now that the Land Office have started to refuse to recognise any document in a foreigner name,you may well get a foreign property owner stuck in no mans land to pay you to stay in their place

Now that the Land Office have started to refuse to recognise any document in a foreigner name,you may well get a foreign property owner stuck in no mans land to pay you to stay in their place

Huh...?

As a general rule, yes. Though I got my place through an agent (one of those Thai ladies that has a small office in the building) and I'm not complaining about the price.

I also know several people in other popular nearby buildings who pay 10K for yearly rentals in units that are on agents' sites at 20K or more, or 15K for long term.

where have you been ? i thought we lost you

welcome back

Huh...?

Is he maybe referring to this ?? Which has something to do with foreigners and problems securing long term lease or mortgage.

Is he maybe referring to this ?? Which has something to do with foreigners and problems securing long term lease or mortgage.

]No not that. In a freebie newspaper I read today ,available outside Friendship ,think the change was introduced last week

welcome back

Very kind. I'm touched. (Some probably thought that was the reason for my absence anyway. w00t.gif )

The reason is banal, I'm afraid. An old client made me an offer I just couldnt refuse to organise their new company IT setup, so I did it. It required a short trip to Europe and then 3 months of very long days/nights remotely, but it was well worthwhile financially, it was a satisfying challenge, and the client was over the moon as they say.

So I just had to give up fun things like eating and internet forums for the duration. wink.png

welcome back

Very kind. I'm touched. (Some probably thought that was the reason for my absence anyway. w00t.gif )

The reason is banal, I'm afraid. An old client made me an offer I just couldnt refuse to organise their new company IT setup, so I did it. It required a short trip to Europe and then 3 months of very long days/nights remotely, but it was well worthwhile financially, it was a satisfying challenge, and the client was over the moon as they say.

So I just had to give up fun things like eating and internet forums for the duration. wink.png

well done.Good for you.The giving up eating part doesn't sound like to much fun though.

Anyway goodluck for the op.Hard to get a really nice house in jomtien for that price

Agents often live in could cuckoo land and simply publish the price the landlord has requested. That it will not rent at that price and simply clog up their website is apparently beyond most of them.

Best to pick your area and drive around. You'll see signs for rent and even if you do not want to go direct, you know the right price (lower than the signs as well !) and can approach an agent from there.

Beware though that many agents operate on the "finder" model where they find a tenant, the tenant pays 2 months deposit plus 2 months rent. The landlord only ever gets 1 months deposit and 1 months rent as the other months deposit is actually the agency commission. When it comes to moving out and getting back your 2 months deposit, you get disputes with landlords who never received that amount of deposit or at best you often have to wait until they get a new sucker to pay over their deposit. Best to use deposit as "first and last".

Your post implies that if the OP were to rent through an agent it is likely he would need to pay the equivelant of 4 months rent up front......that is utter tosh and misleading the OP...agents as do landlords require one month rent and one month deposit in advance...one months deposit will be refunded minus any damage/outstanding utilities on vacating the property....this formula is pretty much standard worldwide except that in many western cultures agents will actuall charge for the contract, in Thailand all contracts are done for free.

Your post implies that if the OP were to rent through an agent it is likely he would need to pay the equivelant of 4 months rent up front......that is utter tosh and misleading the OP...agents as do landlords require one month rent and one month deposit in advance...one months deposit will be refunded minus any damage/outstanding utilities on vacating the property....this formula is pretty much standard worldwide except that in many western cultures agents will actuall charge for the contract, in Thailand all contracts are done for free.

I agree four months is a bit much but generally landlords in Bangkok and Phuket take two months rent deposit just for those who believe the deposit is your last months rent. I wouldn't recommend trying that as a few days past due your electric and water will be turned off followed by eviction and deposit forfeited in accordance with the contract. It is also to protect from people who sign up for a one year for a cheaper lease leaving early and factoring in the deposit in the rent.

In sum, two months deposit and you pay the rent for the month coming (in advance). I can see one month deposit being the norm for cheaper/older places which may not have any tv, refrigerator, washing machine etc.

Landlords can decide on how much deposit they want and you can decide if you want to pay it or move on. Most real estate agents ask for 2 months deposit (that's not including a month's rent in advance when you move in). I negotiated mine (directly with the landlord) down to 1 1/2 months deposit, but it is very nicely furnished with all the bells and whistles.

Edited by tropo

In sum, two months deposit and you pay the rent for the month coming (in advance). I can see one month deposit being the norm for cheaper/older places which may not have any tv, refrigerator, washing machine etc.

I paid one month deposit. My unit has a good washing machine, brand new fridge, 5 channel speaker system and a standard rental-type TV which I immediately packed up and replaced with a decent one that I bought myself. All the other stuff is of correct quality and the pots and pans, crockery and linen is all new. I bought my own vacuum cleaner for 1200B from Tesco.

I paid one month deposit. My unit has a good washing machine, brand new fridge, 5 channel speaker system and a standard rental-type TV which I immediately packed up and replaced with a decent one that I bought myself. All the other stuff is of correct quality and the pots and pans, crockery and linen is all new. I bought my own vacuum cleaner for 1200B from Tesco.

Milage may vary. I think most land lords will require two months. I certainly do. Maybe pattaya is a rentors market.

Maybe pattaya is a rentors market.

It is as far as I'm concerned. Everywhere I look I see vacant/unsold units. Real estate agents and property owners would probably describe it otherwise though. I remember a newsletter received from one estate agent here a few months ago. It contained a phrase along the lines of "high season is in full swing and most of our properties are rented, making the owners happy".

I did weekly holiday rentals in Europe for 20+ years and I expected to have full occupancy around 8 months of the year, sometimes much more. Any unrented weeks in the four month high season would have been considered a catastrophe.

Maybe pattaya is a rentors market.

It is as far as I'm concerned. Everywhere I look I see vacant/unsold units. Real estate agents and property owners would probably describe it otherwise though. I remember a newsletter received from one estate agent here a few months ago. It contained a phrase along the lines of "high season is in full swing and most of our properties are rented, making the owners happy".

I did weekly holiday rentals in Europe for 20+ years and I expected to have full occupancy around 8 months of the year, sometimes much more. Any unrented weeks in the four month high season would have been considered a catastrophe.

Maybe it is a renter's market, but you can still be faced with a dilemma if you find a place you really like, but the owner or real estate agent won't budge on the deposit. When I was looking for a place last year I had this idea that I would not, under any circumstances, pay more than a month's deposit. I found a place I really wanted and ended up negotiating to 1 1/2 month's deposit. I don't regret paying the extra.

As it so happens, the area where I rent (Cosy Beach) was virtually rented out from October on and the owner would have had no problems finding renters who would have paid more... so unfortunately I don't have much bargaining power left as it's now a landlord's market here... and probably because the Russians love the area.

Edited by tropo

...... you can still be faced with a dilemma if you find a place you really like, but the owner or real estate agent won't budge on the deposit.......... so unfortunately I don't have much bargaining power left as it's now a landlord's market here... and probably because the Russians love the area.

True and true. Location is everything with property.