What Do You Do To Beat The Heat?

WinnieTheKhwai

As a full time bicyclist, I have always tried to acclimate to my outside surroundings as long as it wasn't dangerous to my health (ie too cold, 0C- or too hot, 39C+) I always have preferred to cool off with a strong fan rather than A/C. My body doesn't get the shock of having to go from indoor 22C to outside 35C+. It feels a lot more healthier to me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, cut Hellodolly some slack. I grew up in the Cuyahoga Valley and I still have to use spellcheck every time I type the name.

I can understand that spell checking Cuyahoga would be necessary. I tried it in my word processor and got Quahog as an auto correct. biggrin.png Tough letter combination.

I come from the Oakanogan valley where we had some pretty hot days but no humidity. In the 6 years I have been here I have kind of adjusted to the humidity, But once inside a building I look for air con.

A beautiful part of the world.

So, why Chiang Mai?

There's no comparison and I thought you looked for quality.....but Chiang Mai does have the advantage of being much cheaper.wink.png

I come from the Oakanogan valley where we had some pretty hot days but no humidity. In the 6 years I have been here I have kind of adjusted to the humidity, But once inside a building I look for air con.

A beautiful part of the world.

So, why Chiang Mai?

There's no comparison and I thought you looked for quality.....but Chiang Mai does have the advantage of being much cheaper.wink.png

I lived there the last 20 years of my life in North America. I never felt like it was home but the boss said after a year on the road this is home boys. I was born in San Francisco and raised in Seattle. Before I moved to Canada for a job.

Why Chiang Mai? Because

I like the difference in culture and can appreciate for the most part the different way of looking at the world. (thinking) My wife's family is here in Chiang Mai. If not for that I would maybe look for a place on the beach.

I had a back up plan if Thailand didn't work it was Victoria BC. But Thailand works for me.

As I said to beat the heat I have a air con. I don't have enough money in the bank to qualify for a retirement visa but I have more than enough for the monthly income and enough to treat myself to many things I see other posters can't do due to the currency devaluation from what it was when they first moved here.

Had to laugh about the spelling of Oakanogan I just checked it on my spell check and it said Kangaroo. Left on my own devices I am a lousy speller.

Ice box full. Bottles of water around. Drink, drink, drink. I might have to fill the bath with ice soon though.

Air con has been on twice this year already. The sore throat it gives me is once in a while an acceptable alternative to sweating.

I try to get up early,drink water/ice coffee/juice instead if hot coffee,try to eat only cold foods,avoid spicy food for lunch which is awkward because i love it,also try to avoid beer in the afternoon/evening which is very hard to do because i also love that,i do find exercising in the day makes me feel cooler in the evening,then i try to sleep on tiled floors for as long as possible then to bed.I cant stand aircon so manage with 2/3 fans in the bedroom

On another note, does anyone know of a public swimming pool near the Meechock/Rimping Plaza (Pee Mook 1)? I'd like to watch my gf (and maybe others) play around in a pool.

Lake View Park 2 pool is just 1 km from there .From Rimping go north on the 1001 and turn left at the first traffic lights ,junction with the 121 .After you turn left its just 50 meters on your left .Its b40 for an adult .

You could also continue one km further on the 1001 after the traffic lights to Land and House on the left on the main road .They have a bigger pool for B 100 .

Hide in the aircon until around 6pm... not exactly fun, but it's what I've been doing lately.

You're right though... burnin up today!

How did you handle Iraq?

I usually go for a walk around midday, don't get burnt when sun is directly overhead, otherwise we head to KSK or Airport Plaza for kinkao and browse the stores.... that can get exxy as TW cannot resist the SALE signs. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

In North Yemen, I used to stop sunbathing when the temperature passed 110*C, which was usually about 10.00 am during the hot season, but that was dry-heat, not the murky humidity we're currently experiencing here.

the humidity level arent that bad here. just coming back from kl i would say the weather isnt as scorching but the humidity is terrifying

Spending a lot of time in the mall these days. Better they pay for aircon than me. Perpetual fan interspersed with aircon at home, windows covered and doors closed.

For a time, I was opening my door to the inside of the building for a cross current, but who needs a 38 degree breeze in the study?

I've parked the bicycle for now. Too old for this kind of body stress.

Last year spoiled me, but I remember Chiang Mai being exactly the same when I arrived in May of 2010.

Hide in the aircon until around 6pm... not exactly fun, but it's what I've been doing lately.

How did you handle Iraq?

I usually go for a walk around midday, don't get burnt when sun is directly overhead, otherwise we head to KSK or Airport Plaza for kinkao and browse the stores.... that can get exxy as TW cannot resist the SALE signs. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

In North Yemen, I used to stop sunbathing when the temperature passed 110*C, which was usually about 10.00 am during the hot season, but that was dry-heat, not the murky humidity we're currently experiencing here.

110C? I think you mean 110F.

• Like 1

How did you handle Iraq?

110C? I think you mean 110F.

I'm meltinggggggggg.

I think the local Thais are feeling it too. Went to the pool yesterday with the kids after school (Home Schooled, so about 3pm) - usually its pretty empty, but by 4pm it was buzzing and by the time we left at about 6pm, it was busy and more people coming. Last week it waqs fairly packed too, just before Songkran, but not nearly as much as yesterday.

Only aircon is in the Cafe downstairs, up stairs we just have the fans. In the classroom we have 3 fans (one is a powerful Hatari floor standing fan with metal blades) - have the windows open and the balcony doors too. Ambient temperature is over 100F by lunch time, but fans and plenty of water keep us cool enough. Going through nearly double the water we usually do though - it's now 16:25 temp on my wall reads 103.8F 39.9C.

We are fairly acclimitized though - last November I went home to the UK for a short visit, first time in 3 years, and the was so cold I was visibly shaking and had nose bleeds for the first two days - never had that before. Usually I do not feel the cold - I used to go ice campling in Scotland during the winter - but now I guess I'd freeze solid!

I was foolish enough to underestimate the heat yesterday, had to make 5 stops on the ride from BKK to Nakhon Pathom. I'm from Oz and hot never got to me, grew up with 45deg summers with no A/C, but this heat rocked my world yesterday. First time I ever had my eyeballs sunburnt!

My contribution: Citric Acid (Kot Manao) available most places (markets), dissolve about a tsp in 1ltr of water, add sugar syrup to taste, nice long glass of ice, and your set. If you feel the compunction then a shot of (white rum,vodka or gin) can satisfy. Sit in front of the AC with a glass of this. Problem solved till 6pm when life can resume again.

Oz

ed: recipe adjustment

Edited by ozsamurai

I was foolish enough to underestimate the heat yesterday, had to make 5 stops on the ride from BKK to Nakhon Pathom. I'm from Oz and hot never got to me, grew up with 45deg summers with no A/C, but this heat rocked my world yesterday. First time I ever had my eyeballs sunburnt!

My contribution: Citric Acid (Kot Manao) available most places (markets), dissolve about a tsp in 1ltr of water, add sugar syrup to taste, nice long glass of ice, and your set. If you feel the compunction then a shot of (white rum,vodka or gin) can satisfy. Sit in front of the AC with a glass of this. Problem solved till 6pm when life can resume again.

Oz

ed: recipe adjustment

I find the Oishi Tea with Lemon and Honey chilled to almost slush is very cooling and refreshing (can also be added to Sang Som in the evenings - or whenever the sot in you arises) - from good (and bad) 7-11's everywhere (with two bags and eleven straws)

//Edit: "God 7-11's" not sure he is in on the franchise, so changed to "Good 7-11's" - wow, I actually spelt it "God" again just then - either my 'o' finger is overheating or the big man upstairs is trying to tell me soemthing.

Edited by wolf5370

I spent the last 20yrs in Japan, so unfortunately I'm a purist when it comes to green tea. The stuff here (exclude Fuji Natural) would never be sold in Japan for its abomination to a national icon. Its like putting ice in 50yo Brandy to me.. what a waste!

Oz

I know this sounds odd, but jump on a bicycle and ride. I always feel cooler as soon as I start to ride as the wind does cool, especially right now as the relative humidity is quite low. (Relative humidity was below 30% today so lots of cooling effect, even at 36 C.) I took a nice hard ride up to a mountain top temple and the downhill almost felt chilly. It is still hot so make sure you drink a lot and stay hydrated. After riding, I usually feel a lot more comfortable for the whole day.

I'm not in-country but I used to race roadbikes on the east coast of the US and we had something called the "rule of 150" which meant that we did not train or race if the temperature (fahrenheit) + the humidity (% relative) added up to more than 150 as it can be quite dangerous. The body is unable to dump waste heat adequately under those conditions when cycling.

You guys seem pretty comfortable thinking in Celsius so it could be thought of as the "rule of 87.8" so if the temperture plus humidity add to over 87.8 your body will accumulate heat and your core temperture may rise uncomfortably and unsafely. I've been watching Thai weather for a few weeks and the temp+humidity has exceeded safe limits over much of the country on many successive days. Be careful out there people. If you feel unusual fatigue or actually begin to feel cold you could be experiencing heat exhaustion. If you have heat exhaustion and you don't do anything to reduce your core temperature you could end up with heat stroke.

• Like 2

I know this sounds odd, but jump on a bicycle and ride. I always feel cooler as soon as I start to ride as the wind does cool, especially right now as the relative humidity is quite low. (Relative humidity was below 30% today so lots of cooling effect, even at 36 C.) I took a nice hard ride up to a mountain top temple and the downhill almost felt chilly. It is still hot so make sure you drink a lot and stay hydrated. After riding, I usually feel a lot more comfortable for the whole day.

Hi T_Dog...about the relative humidity mine shows around 65% today and it's been between 60-70% most of the time lately(no rain)....are you sure about that 30%(?), that's more like California desert....The TMD shows over 70% today...

Hi T_Dog...about the relative humidity mine shows around 65% today and it's been between 60-70% most of the time lately(no rain)....are you sure about that 30%(?), that's more like California desert....The TMD shows over 70% today...

I spent 25 years with summers around 15% humidity so the deserts probably get even drier. Regarding those figures I mentioned, I got them from the Wunderground weather website and I would think they are directly from the airport data. It feels pretty dry to me. Hot today for sure, and we even have an out of control fire not far from the house.

post-498-0-98598900-1335344969_thumb.png

Crap. rolleyes.giflaugh.png

I spent 25 years with summers around 15% humidity so the deserts probably get even drier. Regarding those figures I mentioned, I got them from the Wunderground weather website and I would think they are directly from the airport data. It feels pretty dry to me. Hot today for sure, and we even have an out of control fire not far from the house.

It's probably good to keep in mind that the relative humidity varies during the day. This new PCD site is such a blessing to learn about these things:

post-64232-0-25962000-1335347663_thumb.p

It's probably good to keep in mind that the relative humidity varies during the day. This new PCD site is such a blessing to learn about these things:

post-64232-0-25962000-1335347663_thumb.p

I guess it must be right...TMD report from the morning was 76%(26C) and now is 31% and 38C...My H-meter still shows 60%,but it is inside the house,that must make the difference...sure it will feel better with the lower humidity while that hot...ufff...

Edited by funcat