Fishfingers

Kananga

I have noticed on other forums that people suddenly get very aggressive when you suggest that the food they got used to eating as a child was maybe not all that good or healthy. (hence my remark about apron strings). One guy said that the bread he found locally was just as good as English bread. I wrote back to say that there were two mysteries about English bread, 1. Why do people eat it and 2. Why it it called bread? The onslaught commenced.

I eat fish fingers now and again, also 'bread' but I don't try to live solely on Western food. In fact the only thing I miss about English cuisine is good fish and chips (and I think most people in England have never eaten good fish and chips) eaten out of a newspaper with a glass of Guiness. You can find both on Sukhumvit if you are in dire need, though of varying quality.

So let me get this straight, and this is not an onslaught, just your usual run of the mill curiosity.

You eat fish fingers now and again, yet when I asked where to obtain food which you admit you eat now and again you tell me to "learn to cook for myself and unpin mummy's apron strings", even though you eat them yourself. When I reply telling you I do cook them myself you reply with saying I got agressive because you suggested that they were not healthy. First of all I didnt get agressive I was being sarcastic, and secondly you didnt mention anything about the health factor of eating fish fingers. So you are accusing me of being agressive about a comment you never made regarding a food product that you yourself eat?

Dont you think that is just a little bit bizarre?

yes I do think you are a little bit bizarre

That has to go down as the worst comeback ever. And they call fish 'brain' food.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed on other forums that people suddenly get very aggressive when you suggest that the food they got used to eating as a child was maybe not all that good or healthy. (hence my remark about apron strings). One guy said that the bread he found locally was just as good as English bread. I wrote back to say that there were two mysteries about English bread, 1. Why do people eat it and 2. Why it it called bread? The onslaught commenced.

I eat fish fingers now and again, also 'bread' but I don't try to live solely on Western food. In fact the only thing I miss about English cuisine is good fish and chips (and I think most people in England have never eaten good fish and chips) eaten out of a newspaper with a glass of Guiness. You can find both on Sukhumvit if you are in dire need, though of varying quality.

Just out of curiosity , could you give us a location on Sukhumvit where (I assume you mean decent ) fsh'n chips can be found . I know there have been quite a few other posts but please give us a location so i can try.

Just out of curiosity , could you give us a location on Sukhumvit where (I assume you mean decent ) fsh'n chips can be found . I know there have been quite a few other posts but please give us a location so i can try.

There is Offshore on Soi 23 on the left hand side just before Cowboy, however it gets mixed reviews. Never tried it myself as it looks too grotty. One place that is consistently good which I can personally recommend is http://www.fishandchipsbangkok.com/ Oh My Cod but is not in Sukhumvit.

Gawd, when are you guys going to learn to cook for yourselves and unpin mummy's apron strings?

I was planning on cooking them myself. Why on earth would you think my Mother would be cooking them for me?

Did they suddenly install the internet in mental institutions or something?

To everyone else with their suggestions, thank you.

PS I have found the heinz baked beans already http://www.thaivisa....35-baked-beans/

and yes I do heat them up myself as well...

Careful not to cut yourself on the can and cut the fish fingers in small pieces so you don't choke.

And don't burn yourself on the stove.

Gawd, when are you guys going to learn to cook for yourselves and unpin mummy's apron strings?

I was planning on cooking them myself. Why on earth would you think my Mother would be cooking them for me?

Did they suddenly install the internet in mental institutions or something?

To everyone else with their suggestions, thank you.

PS I have found the heinz baked beans already http://www.thaivisa....35-baked-beans/

and yes I do heat them up myself as well...

Careful not to cut yourself on the can and cut the fish fingers in small pieces so you don't choke.

And don't burn yourself on the stove.

Umm, ok.

Pointless unless you can source Heinz baked beans and McCain oven chips as well. coffee1.gif

Makro sell Heinz beans at 83 Baht for a big tin..not a bad price....home cut chips are better than Mccans so got a great dinner available

That indeed is a good price. I'll be popping down there to stock up thank you! Agree about oven chips. Pikey fodder.

I don't get the fish finger craving. Buy some white fish and roll it in breadcrumbs and shallow fry. Exact same thing but a whole lot healthier and tastier.

Yes pikey is the word for all the ingredients in my above mentioned post.

Edit: OK I admit to enjoying some baked beans from time to time....

Edited by smokie36

Makro sell a local version of fishfingers. They're much cheaper than the imported variety, but my daughter says they're not as nice as the imported ones from Villa. :(

I've not found the Heinz baked beans at Makro, though. Any idea at which branch of Makro they were available?

Pointless unless you can source Heinz baked beans and McCain oven chips as well. coffee1.gif

Makro sell Heinz beans at 83 Baht for a big tin..not a bad price....home cut chips are better than Mccans so got a great dinner available

That indeed is a good price. I'll be popping down there to stock up thank you! Agree about oven chips. Pikey fodder.

I don't get the fish finger craving. Buy some white fish and roll it in breadcrumbs and shallow fry. Exact same thing but a whole lot healthier and tastier.

Yes pikey is the word for all the ingredients in my above mentioned post.

Edit: OK I admit to enjoying some baked beans from time to time....

Its not a 'craving', I just like them from time to time. Don't worry about it. Anyway, I grill them which makes them far healthier than your greasy shallow frying technique. By your own weird logic, if you like baked beans you should boil your own haricot beans and make your own sauce with less sugar in it than the ones in the supermarket. Exact same thing but a whole lot healthier and tastier. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Makro sell a local version of fishfingers. They're much cheaper than the imported variety, but my daughter says they're not as nice as the imported ones from Villa. sad.png

I've not found the Heinz baked beans at Makro, though. Any idea at which branch of Makro they were available?

You should put them on your menu!

There is a new fish and chip shop in Termianl 21....circa 5th floor....next to the portugese chicken place.

I wanted fish n chips last night.....the child wanted flamed lemon chicken next door.....chicken won.

There is a new fish and chip shop in Termianl 21....circa 5th floor....next to the portugese chicken place.

I wanted fish n chips last night.....the child wanted flamed lemon chicken next door.....chicken won.

Indeed that's what being a good parent is all about.

My dad was selfish, we'd have had the fish n chips for sure (not that I'd have objected).

Snapper, small soi off of Sukhumvit soi 11 = good fish n chips I believe.

Try local chav store in England.

Obviously I'm not in England. Who on earth let you loose with a passport?

says the man who doesn't like Ayam baked beans 'cuz they're "the wrong size"cheesy.gif

Yes, that's right. What exactly is your point?

He was joking in the first place. Have a sense of humor. You're far too defensive and emotionally reactive over talk about fish fingers.

Since it appears you're easy to rile up than everyone else is joining because that's what people like to do on forums, rile people up and make silly jokes.

Don't take everything so seriously...

• Like 1

Your child turned down Fish & Chips?... for fake nandos?... it seems that you may be failing as a parent... only joking (maybe)

Your child turned down Fish & Chips?... for fake nandos?... it seems that you may be failing as a parent... only joking (maybe)

Nah...having the guts to set your old dad right....even when you are wrong...it sounds healthy to me!

Obviously I'm not in England. Who on earth let you loose with a passport?

says the man who doesn't like Ayam baked beans 'cuz they're "the wrong size"cheesy.gif

Yes, that's right. What exactly is your point?

He was joking in the first place. Have a sense of humor. You're far too defensive and emotionally reactive over talk about fish fingers.

Since it appears you're easy to rile up than everyone else is joining because that's what people like to do on forums, rile people up and make silly jokes.

Don't take everything so seriously...

Umm, maybe I was joking too? It just so happens I like making people feel stupid when they try to 'rile' me up. Looks like I got several 'bites' out of this fool and then left him without a leg to stand on. So don't jumpt to incorrect conclusions in future, it only makes you look stupid when I have to correct you.

Edited by Kananga

Nah...having the guts to set your old dad right....even when you are wrong...it sounds healthy to me!

Why is nandos fake ??

I actually really like the lemon chicken, so does the boy...and the salad it comes with and chips.

I was licking the chops at the thought of a grilled cod covered in lime juice.....but alas....sacrifices we make.

Why is nandos fake ??

I actually really like the lemon chicken, so does the boy...and the salad it comes with and chips.

I was licking the chops at the thought of a grilled cod covered in lime juice.....but alas....sacrifices we make.

The restaurant where you dined is not Nandos (but is very similar in decor and cuisine)... it seems you were fooled (that is my point)

By the way, cod (when served as Fish & Chips) should be covered with nothing more (or less) than salt and vinegar... I worry about your son's future when his father has such warped views about the world

Again, I am just joking (maybe)

Well...I teach my child salt is not good for you....he tells them off at Maccas the odd time we go there...no salt.....and lime or lemon is a much more natural additive......

As for nandos...crikey....they did do a good job then cos I thought it was the real deal...same same but different.

Well...I teach my child salt is not good for you....he tells them off at Maccas the odd time we go there...no salt.....and lime or lemon is a much more natural additive......

As for nandos...crikey....they did do a good job then cos I thought it was the real deal...same same but different.

If it smells like chicken and it tastes like chicken...

Snappers beside Tapas on soi 11.

Australian Pub soi 11

Kuppa soi 16 makes what may be the best i have tasted in BKK

People have also said firehouse is good, but when i ordered, it was soggy though tasty.

the fish was a single tiny piece however.

Snappers beside Tapas on soi 11.

Australian Pub soi 11

Kuppa soi 16 makes what may be the best i have tasted in BKK

People have also said firehouse is good, but when i ordered, it was soggy though tasty.

the fish was a single tiny piece however.

Firehouse is strictly for the burgers. Although I hear they have a mean chilli coming on line soon.

you are lucky. the place in terminal 21 is utter <deleted>

in the east midlands I saw a fat woman eating a fish finger sandwich at a local pub...I was fascinated but not disrespectful as she also served the pints at the local pub...then later I got some fish fingers with load of tomato sauce (aka ketchup) and then the ex-wife observed with a fag and a cup of tea and remarked: 'not much like your yank 'special cuisine', is it?...

she was foolish and had no understanding of fish finger significance to the world...

(in 1970 and in a Raskolnikov student garret in Berkeley with existential discussion; 'man, I'm hungry...' ...'hold on, I got some fish fingers here somewhere...' and they were then about 60p for a dozen, cooked on an unclean hotplate and eaten without ketchup...and we were naive student existentialists and pretended that that fish fingers had no significance to our lives...young fools...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Very entertaining. Kananga kicked all of your <deleted>, but them what lame, predictable responses.

lickety lick

He has a point though...

(modesty was never my strong point)

Edited by Kananga