I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

Thanks..I am quite well known in the Nackon Sawan immigration office and fully intend for the missus to give them a call tomorrow..

plopmeister sadly and 100% IMO we are in a situation here where the left has no idea what the tight is doing and goth knee's are jerking in different direction. I am not beating down on Thailand simply reflecting on the 9 years I have lived here.

Would be great if you could post the trials and tribulations of your visit just so wre know what to expect.,

Whats grating on me is why has a thread on TV been formed to find out the most basic of information. I mean what ,mess would owe of been in without the invaluable contributions of the posters?

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work Permit Information

Relatively clear information on Work Permits can be found here in English. You can work at more than one school, but it simply needs to be included on the Work Permit application. http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/eng/index.html

The actually application can be found on this download page. Unless I am mistaken, the form a Teacher / Instructor will need is W.P.1 which is a PDF form that can be completed online and printed. http://wp.doe.go.th/en/downloadform

If you plan to work legally, you are probably going to have to team up and partner with your school (or schools) in order to get the paperwork submitted and processed. Although I gave my school all the paperwork they needed, I fully expect to show up to work on May 21 to find they have not submitted an application for me. And I will refuse to work, but hopefully that will set the fire under their derrieres to get the process rolling. I will help the school put together all the documentation that is needed, but I'm going to expect a school administrator to actually take this paperwork to the local Ministry of Labor and have them work through the bureaucratic obstacle course. I'll smile, but be firm. If they want me, they will do what needs to be done. If not, I'll go back to enjoying my "semi-retirement" routine.

Best of luck to those of you who plan to do this legally. wink.png

Work Permit Information

Relatively clear information on Work Permits can be found here in English. You can work at more than one school, but it simply needs to be included on the Work Permit application. http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/eng/index.html

The actually application can be found on this download page. Unless I am mistaken, the form a Teacher / Instructor will need is W.P.1 which is a PDF form that can be completed online and printed. http://wp.doe.go.th/en/downloadform

If you plan to work legally, you are probably going to have to team up and partner with your school (or schools) in order to get the paperwork submitted and processed. Although I gave my school all the paperwork they needed, I fully expect to show up to work on May 21 to find they have not submitted an application for me. And I will refuse to work, but hopefully that will set the fire under their derrieres to get the process rolling. I will help the school put together all the documentation that is needed, but I'm going to expect a school administrator to actually take this paperwork to the local Ministry of Labor and have them work through the bureaucratic obstacle course. I'll smile, but be firm. If they want me, they will do what needs to be done. If not, I'll go back to enjoying my "semi-retirement" routine.

I can't improve on anything that you have presented here. I start tomorrow without ANY formal applications. In my mind I am not working untill I get paid and don't mind losing the 5,000 baht payment for the rest of May if it all turns sour..

Work Permit Information

I am not sure if you can work at both schools as both will be applying for the 10,000 baht. I think they will only pay the subsidy for 1 school. 1 teacher, 1 school. I hope this isnt the case but my wife already rang the government office for this and they said as much. hopefully my 2 applications will get through and I can work at both. fingers crossed.

I just spoke with the director of my local school (noi) this morning. I told them I could work 2 days a week for 15k a month. I said I was happy to teach 5 or 6 hours a day and they took this as 12 hours a week, although I was sure to make it clear again that I would just work 2 full days a week. Is there 6 hours of actual teaching a day in the 'noi' government schools ?? Also is there a link to some clear info on the process of getting the work permit ? Because I am sure I will have to help the school out and give them a nudge along to get it sorted.

Also seems that their plan is to have me teach lecture style to 3 or 4 classes at once....which doesn't sound like a great idea, but at least they have a projector (and that room has air con :) ).... so will give it a go. Anyone have any experience with teaching in this format? Is it possible to get any kind of interaction going ?

Work Permit Information

Good info Thanks.

Supposed to have started today, no phone call yet or maybe never.biggrin.png

Went to Nackon Sawan Immigration today to ask about how THEY would do things....

..THEY would change my NON O Multiple entry visa( that will keep me here untill March next year ) with a NON B visa which would be cancelled at the end of my contract in 3 months time..

I told the school that I wouldn't be joining them. They offered me various illegal ways of working but I won't post them cos it will only get deleted.

• Like 1

Ouch!!! Really sorry to hear that. Now that's what I call pretty ridiculous!! bah.gif

I'm painfully aware that it'd be a "first" if the different government departments actually worked together, instead of each department doing what they think is the ultimate and wisest way of doing things. ermm.gif

The whole idea of this program was to make things reasonably easy for foreigners wishing to help out - not to break the law - but to make things acceptable for all.

I definitely don't see that cancelling your visa when the contract runs out can be considered reasonable or acceptable, under these circumstances. I don't blame you for refusing to join the program under those conditions.

However, wait until more information is available - as far as I'm aware (and that's no guarantee), the many application forms are only just starting to be looked at. When people start to get their applications approved, then I don't doubt that many other problems with visas, work permits and whatever - will arise. Or, if you like - that's when the sh... will really start to hit the fan 1zgarz5.gif

Maybe (though I'm not confident) the government will get their collective finger out and actually make the rough road ahead through all the red tape, a lot easier. You never know, something positive just might emerge along the way (but don't hold your breath!).

Likewise (and as I've stated before) if things get too difficult, then I'll also drop the idea of being a NES - and just let the schools get on with it. angry.png

Cheers - and good luck

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod

Ouch!!! Really sorry to hear that. Now that's what I call pretty ridiculous!! bah.gif

I'm painfully aware that it'd be a "first" if the different government departments actually worked together, instead of each department doing what they think is the ultimate and wisest way of doing things. ermm.gif

The whole idea of this program was to make things reasonably easy for foreigners wishing to help out - not to break the law - but to make things acceptable for all.

I definitely don't see that cancelling your visa when the contract runs out can be considered reasonable or acceptable, under these circumstances. I don't blame you for refusing to join the program under those conditions.

However, wait until more information is available - as far as I'm aware (and that's no guarantee), the many application forms are only just starting to be looked at. When people start to get their applications approved, then I don't doubt that many other problems with visas, work permits and whatever - will arise. Or, if you like - that's when the sh... will really start to hit the fan 1zgarz5.gif

Maybe (though I'm not confident) the government will get their collective finger out and actually make the rough road ahead through all the red tape, a lot easier. You never know, something positive just might emerge along the way (but don't hold your breath!).

Likewise (and as I've stated before) if things get too difficult, then I'll also drop the idea of being a NES - and just let the schools get on with it. angry.png

Cheers - and good luck

Splod

The thing was that the Immigration Officer had never been put in that situation before. She normally just dealt with teachers going from a single entry 3 month non O to a B visa...A quick visit behind the scenes and she delivered her decision...

I had already spent a day at the school as per an earlier post and had established a good relashioship with the children...I live in the village so that is no surprise...I firmly believe that this is an excellent initiative badly implemented..

Went to Nackon Sawan Immigration today to ask about how THEY would do things....

..THEY would change my NON O Multiple entry visa( that will keep me here untill March next year ) with a NON B visa which would be cancelled at the end of my contract in 3 months time..

I told the school that I wouldn't be joining them. They offered me various illegal ways of working but I won't post them cos it will only get deleted.

i don't understand this. you can work with your non o if it is for marriage.

is yours for this purpose ?

Well, I'm loathe to mention it - but you may have gotten a more "positive" response from Immi if you'd been able to take along a representative from the school and ask the same questions.

Often, it's a case of one set of answers for a farang, but a different set of answers if a Thai of a respectful position is present. Too, the same Thai might just be able to be advised of any alternatives regarding your visa - something that the Immi lady might not have thought of, or would normally even bother to deal with, in other circumstances. It's also highly likely, that the Immi lady is not yet aware of the new government program for NES people,

It could even be worth your while getting the school administration staff to contact Immi and/or the Area Education Center, which is supposed to deal with some of the difficulties arising from employing teaching staff.

Mind you, I don't really know anything about Non 0 Multi entry visas - and if this type of visa means you're considered to be "living" in Thailand..

Cheers smile.png

Splod

Yes, I have a one year multiple entry non o visa. and Nackon Sawan immigration clearly stated without any ambiguaty that I can't work whilst on it and that it had to be changed to a non b visa...

It could even be worth your while getting the school administration staff to contact Immi and/or the Area Education Center, which is supposed to deal with some of the difficulties arising from employing teaching staff.

Mind you, I don't really know anything about Non 0 Multi entry visas - and if this type of visa means you're considered to be "living" in Thailand..

Cheers smile.png

Splod

The school director is taking it up with the local labour office and immigration today.. He is King of his castle and sure as hell he doesn't want to lose face in front of his "subjects"

...I will keep you posted

Edited by plopmeister

Was told indirectly that I will not be required to teach at the local school. Slightly peeved as we normally have a lot of kids in and out of the Temple and their English is atrocious.

I could try and find out why I was knocked back and then resolve the problems but right now its not important to me to know hwy again Thai authority is doing its utmost to hinder rural children's education. Actually the answer to that gem is very obvious to anyone who had been here a while.

Might have a think about offering private tuition after school and at the weekends. Any thoughts?

Para

Cheers smile.png

Splod

The school director is taking it up with the local labour office and immigration today.. He is King of his castle and sure as hell he doesn't want to lose face in front of his "subjects"

Have just been told that one of the teachers will take me to " A government office" in Kamphengpet to sort it out... have no idea whether labour, education or immigration......but I am on my second beer already so I postponed untill tomorrow..

Cheers smile.png

Splod

Have just been told that one of the teachers will take me to " A government office" in Kamphengpet to sort it out... have no idea whether labour, education or immigration......but I am on my second beer already so I postponed untill tomorrow..

This smell, like cricket, to mewink.png

Cheers smile.png

Splod

This smell, like cricket, to mewink.png

Uh!!..Pakistani cricket!!

• Like 1

Was told indirectly that I will not be required to teach at the local school. Slightly peeved as we normally have a lot of kids in and out of the Temple and their English is atrocious.

I could try and find out why I was knocked back and then resolve the problems but right now its not important to me to know hwy again Thai authority is doing its utmost to hinder rural children's education. Actually the answer to that gem is very obvious to anyone who had been here a while.

Might have a think about offering private tuition after school and at the weekends. Any thoughts?

Para

Para,

I'm assuming that you are a Buddhist Monk. If so, think of it from this standpoint. If you teach, are you doing anything that is counter to Vinyana? Prehaps that senior monk understands that if you teach in the school without the proper visa and work permit, you would be doing so counter to Thai law. Buddha preached "sila" (morality) and Vinyana the attempt to codify morality. If you teach, even private classes, are you breaking the law? If you break the law, are you violating Vinyana?

This is really a sad state of affairs. I've racked my brain attempting to think of legal way to help educate the poorest or the poor here in Thailand, but the law of Thailand simply do not allow for it. But for you I'll offer one more attempt:

Ask your abbot about establishing a school. Ask the abbot to use his influence to help you obtain a work permit. But, understand that if your abbot chooses not to go down that path, don't dwell to much on "why". If you are a Buddhist monk, what is your primary motivation: to possibly end suffering in your lifetime, or to teach English?

I wish you luck.

Edited by connda

Para,

I'm assuming that you are a Buddhist Monk. If so, think of it from this standpoint. If you teach, are you doing anything that is counter to Vinyana? Prehaps that senior monk understands that if you teach in the school without the proper visa and work permit, you would be doing so counter to Thai law. Buddha preached "sila" (morality) and Vinyana the attempt to codify morality. If you teach, even private classes, are you breaking the law? If you break the law, are you violating Vinyana?

This is really a sad state of affairs. I've racked my brain attempting to think of legal way to help educate the poorest or the poor here in Thailand, but the law of Thailand simply do not allow for it. But for you I'll offer one more attempt:

Ask your abbot about establishing a school. Ask the abbot to use his influence to help you obtain a work permit. But, understand that if your abbot chooses not to go down that path, don't dwell to much on "why". If you are a Buddhist monk, what is your primary motivation: to possibly end suffering in your lifetime, or to teach English?

I wish you luck.

Connda your thoughts are spot on and yes I am a Buddhist Monk.

It was my Abbott that put my name up with the school to teach so he is a lot more game for it than I ever was! I understand the legal aspects and mine are certainly complex and not really for general discussion at least not off PM. To comment on the legality of working would mean involving other information which will be detrimental to my Abbott so I certainly wont do that.

My Abbot and the senior Monk are both confused as to why they would push so hard then walk away but hey in the big picture its not a show stopper is it really?

MY take on the Vinyana is as long as I am not teaching for monetary gain then I am fine. I am open to comments on that from those who have more experience than I do.

' If you are a Buddhist monk, what is your primary motivation: to possibly end suffering in your lifetime, or to teach English?'

To be able to end my personal suffering in this life would mean an eternity in Nirvana. Hopefully I will get there but I know I have many lives to live, learn and attain whats required to get there!

The thought of teaching doesn't really appeal to me but I simply want to give something back. You seem educated enough to really understand the dynamics between Monk's and laypeople we are so dependent on each other I just want to try and do my bit.

I have a feeling my Abbott will make inquiries and some (lame) answers will come up but he has already suggested I hold English lessons here at the temple twice a week with him following my teachings with meditation lessons.

The future's bright, the future is most defiantly orange!

I may be (at the moment) out of this loop but any help I can give is waiting for anyone who needs it.....

With metta

Para

Edited by Para
  • Like 2

Well, good luck, plopmeister, with your visit to "a Government Office" tomorrow!

Yes, definitely interested in knowing how it goes - everybody's experiences can perhaps help to make life more easy for others, as then they'll maybe know what to expect. I'd write about my experiences, too - only I don't yet have any. Everything's remarkably quiet and I haven't been contacted by any school about hours, contract, etc. since completing the application forms - nada, nothing.

I'm informed that the application forms (in this area) were actually sent off yesterday (16th) to Kurusapa (or whoever), so I don't suppose anything much will happen for quite a while....

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Well, good luck, plopmeister, with your visit to "a Government Office" tomorrow!

Yes, definitely interested in knowing how it goes - everybody's experiences can perhaps help to make life more easy for others, as then they'll maybe know what to expect. I'd write about my experiences, too - only I don't yet have any. Everything's remarkably quiet and I haven't been contacted by any school about hours, contract, etc. since completing the application forms - nada, nothing.

I'm informed that the application forms (in this area) were actually sent off yesterday (16th) to Kurusapa (or whoever), so I don't suppose anything much will happen for quite a while....

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I'm the same at the rest of you. After the frantic rush to find Native English speakers, and multiple phone calls to my wife by about every school within a 15km radius of our home, suddenly -- nothing! Complete quiet.

I would truly love to know what is going on in the background of the various Thai bureaucracies right now.

Has anyone else noticed, but this has all the elements of a good Thai Soap Opera. I just don't what to end up being the Water Buffalo sauntering through the village with 20 Thai kids on it's back. wink.png

Que whistle (Whhhhhhuuuippppppp) and spring noise (Boing Boing Boingggg).

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I'm the same at the rest of you. After the frantic rush to find Native English speakers, and multiple phone calls to my wife by about every school within a 15km radius of our home, suddenly -- nothing! Complete quiet.

I would truly love to know what is going on in the background of the various Thai bureaucracies right now.

Has anyone else noticed, but this has all the elements of a good Thai Soap Opera. I just don't what to end up being the Water Buffalo sauntering through the village with 20 Thai kids on it's back. wink.png

I want to be the poor mushroom farmer that finds out during my visit to "a government office" that he actually OWNS the school, the village. the whole province and the greater part of Dubai.....wiziwiziwiz...weeeee...

• Like 1

Ok, so now we bring religion into the mix. Are we not in trouble enough already in the world?

...and Thai Soap Operas / Comedy in the mix too.

Que trombone sound (WAAaaaaa, Waaaaaa, waaaaa, waa) biggrin.png

Edited by connda

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

So I am not the only one here that has been turned away?

Yes indeed you can..It was confirmed on my visit today. Cut a short story shorter..I start on Monday and the school will pay me not the government...

Yes indeed you can..It was confirmed on my visit today. Cut a short story shorter..I start on Monday and the school will pay me not the government...

This is unreal.

The government recognizing the inadequate lack of education of its kids and the knee jerk reaction in actually tighten up 'real' teachers visa leaves a void which some bright spark dreams up a 'Teachers Assistant' position. Basically an untrained native English speaking person filling the gaps as best as they can.

School started this week and as best I can remember no one had actually received an official government offer.

Now its what game over? Sorry not correct for a Buddhist to say but <deleted>!

plopmeister managed to swing it in I am guessing a semi unofficial/legal way fair play for finding a way to teach the kids.

9 years I have lived in this country and whilst I wont start bashing it I simply fail to understand so many things here.

My Abbott is back tomorrow and has a couple of idea about private teaching so I will listen to what he has to say and pass on anything I think can help others.

At least we can say we tried.......

With metta

Para

"Cut a short story shorter..I start on Monday and the school will pay me not the government..."

Well, that was indeed a short story - and we're all wondering what actually happened at Immi.

Naturally, if it's not in your interest to want to elongate, then we can certainly understand that! rolleyes.gif

Whatever, congrats on "getting there" in the end - and hope it all goes off well for you! clap2.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

"Cut a short story shorter..I start on Monday and the school will pay me not the government..."

Well, that was indeed a short story - and we're all wondering what actually happened at Immi.

Naturally, if it's not in your interest to want to elongate, then we can certainly understand that! rolleyes.gif

Whatever, congrats on "getting there" in the end - and hope it all goes off well for you! clap2.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

There is little to tell actually...previously I had got a Dr's cert and headed off to Nackon Sawan immigration and THEY said I needed a NON B visa and would cancel my NON O visa...but admitted that they had never been in that situation before..( The experienced people that I had got to know over the years had all been promoted and left desk service)

Today I went to another clinic for a blood test..then lunch paid for by the school....3 teachers came along and we hit the Kamphaengphet government offices. So into the Employment offices we go...They said I needed certification to be able to teach and that had to come from BKK. The clincher came when they confirmed that with a NON O one year married to a Thai visa I was allowed to work...

.A few calls were made to the school Director and I suppose he must have said something like "Sod this for a lark. Get the fat English bastard in here working Sparrow's fart Monday morning and I will pay the whinging pommie bastard. We can cut down on the gruel rations for the snivelling snipes and blame it on him. Let's see how he handles the buggers then"

• Like 2