I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

I hope this all works out for the farangs and especially for the kids.

There's one interesting thing I've noticed. I've read this whole thread and I haven't noticed one poster who can't write correctly. I see good sentence structure, grammar, and use of paragraphs. Whether the posters have degrees or not, IMHO everyone here who has applied for, or been ask to work has the knowledge of the language mastered well enough really help the kids.

I realize that knowing something and being able to teach it are two different things, but with the desire to teach that I see, I'd like to see everyone placed in a school. I don't have a degree, but back in my school days they hammered the basics into us and I know English better than my nephew who just graduated from an accredited 4 year college with a bachelors degree.

Good luck to the posters here, and to the kids.

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts critical of grammar have been deleted. This is poor netiquette and is completely off-topic to the thread.

This is an internet forum. Not everyone has access to decent internet connections. Some poster use mobile phones.

Please confine your comments to the topic of the thread.

• Like 1

Teaching at multiple schools within the near vicinity you could potentially make 40 k baht a month if you have good negotiation skills in thai,

and know how to grease down a school director with a little bit of Johnny walker black every month!

tried, they would'nt let me. only 1 school they said.

Is this one particular area of Thailand that people are teaching on this 10kBHT deal, or is it all over Thailand? Are you all in the same general area such as Ubon or Udon or something?

It seems apparent that it's rural.

I'm asking because I love to teach and would locate in the area. I have volunteed for 30 years teaching piano and keyboard to poor kids (by US standards) in our town just because I love doing it, but didn't need the money. I have one student now I've had for 5 years and he's literally a genius, but his mom is a divorced mother who works for minimum wage. He a blast to teach because he immediately absorbs anything I tell him.

I realize that Thai teaching won't be like that, but all I need is one student in the group who wants to learn.

Could someone please mention some areas where this might be possible? I'm applying for a retirement visa, don't have a degree, and recognize the risks.

Hi Tv forum ...I really need some advice and help from anyone out there who knows the answers to my questions re the 10,000. scheme and teaching in a government school here. My story sounds very similar to others that I have read on this forum.

I was approached by a Thai teacher I know last April to teach at the local village school when the term starts in November for the 10,000 baht scheme. I might add here that I am a woman married to a Thai, not living in Bangkok and that I have been a teacher for the Government in my home country for approximately 25 years. I have a 4 year Bachelor of Education degree, teachers certificate for my home country and Government approval police checks etc...The Principal sent off all my details photocopies etc and of course I was approved..then the same teacher approached me about a month ago and said that the government office in the town near where I live had 7200 baht left over and would I be interested in doing a months work at 36 hours x 200 baht per hour. I thought ok why not. From the word go it was a lot of non communication and nobody actually telling me what to do or my hours etc. The Thai guy who is the English teacher at this small school of 30 students was away for the first week that I was there...so I seemed to be just left with his classes and anybody elses out of the other 2 Thai teachers when they were away...in the first week I taught 17 and a half hours...the second week when this English teacher came back and I had finished my afternoon hour I asked him who was to take my class and he just walked away for hour an hour and didnt come back...when he finally did it turns out that he was supposed to take the class !!!! Also when I asked him what I should be teaching he said everything ie reading writing grammar etc...only yesterday I read your forum and I see that under this 10,000 baht scheme I am employed as a teachers assistant and that a Thai teacher should be in the room as well...well thats him and he has never been in the room!!!!

...so in the 2nd week I taught 11 and a half hours and then last week 7...so my 36 hours are up before the month ..

Just before I started this months stint I was told by the principal of another bigger local school that the Tessabaan will be employing me in the next term for 36,000 baht a month...now last week the principal of my school told me next term that I will be working at 2 schools..the present one and a much bigger one for 90 hours a month and only 18000 baht...I havent signed anything but can someone please tell me what I should do? the principal was away most of last week after he told me this so I havent had a chance to tell him that I have finished my hours or discuss this matter with him. From what I read on the forum yesterday it seems that under this 10,000 baht scheme I can only work at one school and also I read that working this 90 hours a month is considered full time.

I might also add that they have been getting me to sign an attendence book since I have been there (the same as on the NES website) that they have told me that they have the work permit for me but havent showed me anything and that they are expecting me to write a months programs for this 36 hours of teaching (which I have been doing)...which they want to submit into head office. What is the difference between the Tessabaan employing me and this 10,000 baht scheme ?? where does that money come from ?? I know the government but is it via the Education Office??

Can anybody PLEASE give me some advice...I would like to teach but am not going to work for this sort of money or are they right by offering me this minimal amount for a 90 hour month.

thanks

Yes. Run away as fast as you can.

With your qualifications you could teach at an International School and make 80K+ baht per month. You are being seriously jerked about. Stop, quit, walk away.

Is this one particular area of Thailand that people are teaching on this 10kBHT deal, or is it all over Thailand? Are you all in the same general area such as Ubon or Udon or something?

It seems apparent that it's rural.

I'm asking because I love to teach and would locate in the area. I have volunteed for 30 years teaching piano and keyboard to poor kids (by US standards) in our town just because I love doing it, but didn't need the money. I have one student now I've had for 5 years and he's literally a genius, but his mom is a divorced mother who works for minimum wage. He a blast to teach because he immediately absorbs anything I tell him.

I realize that Thai teaching won't be like that, but all I need is one student in the group who wants to learn.

Could someone please mention some areas where this might be possible? I'm applying for a retirement visa, don't have a degree, and recognize the risks.

If you really want to help go to teach where kids can even afford to eat lunch and buy rice to schoo, only chalkboards and broken fans in the class room. gO TO khantaralak and to Moo ban Kanub, PM me for details, really nice students who really need to learn english, i wish i could stay longer but I need to make more to survive being a young guy from bulgaria. Thanks!

if you want to teach for free/10k baht per month (if its continued), or maybe a bit more if you can commit to it, pm me and I'll put you in touch with a few Isaan schools I know of who would jump at the opportunity

Thank both of you. I will be arriving in LOS in about 9 months on a retirement visa. I've bookmarked this page and I will contact you via PM. In the meantime I'm trying really hard to study Thai by various means here in the US. It isn't easy!!

!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a lot of the 14 pages of this, and conclude that if I do 6 hours a week, I probably will not get a non-b visa and work permit - correct?

That is a correct assumption. Generally you'll need to obtain a contract as a full-time teacher. You'll need a TESOL cert and a degree. Most instructors I know are teaching between 18 to 25 hour/wk and are considered "full-time" by the organization they teach at. I feel the bottom line is that if you can get an organization to sponsor you, provide you with a contract, and provide you with the necessary paperwork to obtain you visa and WP, then the exact number of hours really doesn't matter.

But for this particular program, or any organization offering only 6/hr a week, it's gonna be nearly impossible to obtain those documents. Sorry.

Edited by connda