Thai Motorcycle Driver'S License

vagabond48

I am currently on a trip in Bali. Although I have been living in CM for over 5 years on retirement visa extensions, I have only used my bicycle to get around but for the1st time I was forced to use a motorcycle for a week. I don't have a motorcycle license and the US drivers license is worthless so I felt a bit vulnerable at getting stopped by the police. I have decided that it is time to get one in CM. After I get a Thai motorcycle drivers license, will I be able to get an International motorcycle drivers license as well? If "yes" how would I go about getting one?

Thanks. :)

A Thai car/motorcycle licence is valid in all ASEAN countries - including Indonesia.

True, at least when one of the languages is a known language in the country where it is used.

So only the new type is valid.

Most countries signed and ratified the conventions regarding the use of driving licenses abroad.

But, be certain, use an International Driving permit!

A Thai car/motorcycle licence is valid in all ASEAN countries - including Indonesia.

From what I am reading here, I 1st would be getting a 1 year license. Would that be the new type license you are referring to?

If not, can you please define what the new type would be? Thanks

From what I am reading here, I 1st would be getting a 1 year license. Would that be the new type license you are referring to?

If not, can you please define what the new type would be? Thanks

The initial one year license looks the same as the 5 year one. By 'new' type I assume we are talking about the new style (been out for at least 3 years now) hard plastic card with the photo imprinted on it that meets the ASEAN regulation, thus it is accepted in Indonesia.

would someone kindly clarify what the pre requisites are for getting the motorbike licence in the first place; is it a straightforward process or the usual hoops to jump through.

I still carry the first uk driving licence, a paper one, which sometimes puts doubts on policemens faces..especially when the thing opens out as big as a map!!

Your UK licence can be converted to the Thai equivalent with a medical certificate (from your local doctor), colour blindness test, depth perception test, peripheral vision test and reaction test. Not expensive, 1 year first time around, 5 year after that.

If you want to drive a motorbike and don't have a UK bike licence, you will need to do a multiple choice test on the computer (in English) after watching an hour long rules of the road video - pass mark is about 75%, not too challenging though people do fail (then retake immediately). Then you drive your motorbike along a plank of wood, turn right twice, stop at a stop line and remember to wear your helmet at all times. The guy might peep out from behind his newspaper to check you're actually doing it.