Reasonabl Thai Cheese - Availability

Gladiator

Some time ago there was a thread on cheese (sorry - I have searched but cannot fnd it now)

One of the posters recommended the Thai cheese produced by the dairy oppostite CMU on the Doi Suthep Road.

We went along there in great expectation When we finally found someone to help us - they disappeared into a walk-in chiller and appeared with a block of cheese which looked as if it weighed over a kilo. It appeared somewhat worn and tacky , with no packaging and they had no plastic gloves on. We left wihout buying anything.

I know that here is Dacheeso - but they can be pretty hit and miss.

Anyone have any new thoughts?

Edited by Gladiator

Save yourself the gas as well as the time searching on the net because it does not exist. Thai cheese is terrible. Dacheeso which is a fine company and does have some very good dairy products, has bland, tasteless cheese. Keep an eye out for mark-downs at Rimping and Topps for imported cheese. Recently I found some excellent Swiss made cheeses marked down 40% at Topps Airport Plaza. I was suspicious and checked the dates carefully but everything was O.K. Thais were grabbing them up quickly as well.

One of the posters recommended the Thai cheese produced by the dairy oppostite CMU on the Doi Suthep Road.

There is no Doi Suthep Road.. There is Huay Kaew road that goes past the front entrance to CMU, and then there is Suthep road that goes past the back entrance, making the phrase Doi Suthep Road a bit ambiguous.

Have a feeling you speak of Northern Farm shop, which would be on Huay Kaew, but anyone's guess.

Probaly best price/taste/value cheese for what you get is at Makro, their Aro brand. They have grated, slices and as a big log. Some of it is in the freezer in front of their dairy section.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Save yourself the gas as well as the time searching on the net because it does not exist. Thai cheese is terrible. Dacheeso which is a fine company and does have some very good dairy products, has bland, tasteless cheese. Keep an eye out for mark-downs at Rimping and Topps for imported cheese. Recently I found some excellent Swiss made cheeses marked down 40% at Topps Airport Plaza. I was suspicious and checked the dates carefully but everything was O.K. Thais were grabbing them up quickly as well.

+1

I tried Dacheeso's cheddar a few times, but it resembles Cheddar in name only. I'm sure they think it's cheddar. but I wonder where they got the idea that.Cheddar is white and rubbery?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

+1

I tried Dacheeso's cheddar a few times, but it resembles Cheddar in name only. I'm sure they think it's cheddar. but I wonder where they got the idea that.Cheddar is white and rubbery?

Gave their cheese another shot just recently since I had not seen the smoked provolone or whatever it was before - maybe it was mozarella I'm not sure. It had no taste at all except for the smoke flavor and it too was like rubber.

You may try horecasupply dot com. They also sell to private persons but you may have to take quite big units. Normally we share our e.g. Gruyere purchase with two other families, then it's fine. I didn't find any cheaper genuine cheese supplier in CNX.

There is no Doi Suthep Road.. There is Huay Kaew road that goes past the front entrance to CMU, and then there is Suthep road that goes past the back entrance, making the phrase Doi Suthep Road a bit ambiguous.

Have a feeling you speak of Northern Farm shop, which would be on Huay Kaew, but anyone's guess.

Probaly best price/taste/value cheese for what you get is at Makro, their Aro brand. They have grated, slices and as a big log. Some of it is in the freezer in front of their dairy section.

Thank you for your edification.

Perhaps if I had used the 'Doi Suthep Route' - that would have been more comprehensable. Highway 1004 or Huay Kaew Road - even better. Which ever. I have Googled the Nothern Farms Shop and no... I do not think that is the place as the dairy is on the right hand side as you progress up the road. CMU and Chiang Mai Zoo on the left.

Makro's Aro cheddar cheese is a good buy. But, at least at Makro Hang Dong - they do not appear to have had sliced for a long time. In a block or crumbled - yes. 'Mainland Vintage' cheddar cheese or 'Tatsy' (if you prefer it not so mature) is more flavourful and naturally more expensive. The best deal being at Rimpings 250g for 175 Baht. They also produce Edam and Gouda. Another excellent cheese at Rimpings is the Camembert Hapico at between 200-220 Baht for a 226-235 tub.

And yes Rebo - thank you... I had forgotten about Horecasupply.com. They have occasional open days at their depot just off of the superhighway and some very good deals on various cheeses.

At all the Macro stores they sell,for a couple off years already,real Dutch Gouda cheese,imported from

Holland by a big fooddistributer(forgot the name)only thing the weels weight is 4,5 kg.The cost off such

a weel is 1900 bath that is 422 bath/kg.Rimping sells Gouda cheese at 720 bath/kg.Look for some

friends and share one!!!

Holland

At all the Macro stores they sell,for a couple off years already,real Dutch Gouda cheese,imported from

Holland by a big fooddistributer(forgot the name)only thing the weels weight is 4,5 kg.The cost off such

a weel is 1900 bath that is 422 bath/kg.Rimping sells Gouda cheese at 720 bath/kg.Look for some

friends and share one!!!

Yes that is true and it's fine for a business. But 4.5 kg is too much for an individual to have on hand. Besides the OP was asking about Thai cheese. There is lots of Cheeses from Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, etc. available at the super-markets.

At all the Macro stores they sell,for a couple off years already,real Dutch Gouda cheese,imported from Holland by a big fooddistributer(forgot the name)only thing the weels weight is 4,5 kg.The cost off such a weel is 1900 bath that is 422 bath/kg.Rimping sells Gouda cheese at 720 bath/kg.Look for some friends and share one!!!

Yeah, but you get classical music at Rimping. violin.gif

friends and share one!!!

Yes that is true and it's fine for a business. But 4.5 kg is too much for an individual to have on hand. Besides the OP was asking about Thai cheese. There is lots of Cheeses from Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, etc. available at the super-markets.

I used to buy the Thai cheese opposite the zoo,many times tomorrow we have and the next day tomorow we have.

Now at the Macro for the same price the real Dutch Gouda cheese.

Years ago I used to buy a white cheese at the Kasem store in the Talat Wararot area by either the half-kg., or, 1 kg., and it made a good grilled cheese sandwich.

About six months ago, I tried it again: I can't tell if they changed brands, or my subjective experience that it was not as good as what I purchased years ago, was due to my damaged taste buds or not.

If someone with undamaged taste buds could render an opinion on Kasem's "budget" white cheese sold currently in large "blocks," that would be appreciated.

thanks, ~o:37;

I just had some today.....originally without reading the packet when I bought it I thought it was an overseas chedder...then I opened it today and it is Thai....not too bad either, I like it and about 400b a kilo but available in 250gm packs.

XL foods ltd it is called.

I hear Gecko Bar is now offering a nice selection of imports at really good prices.

Indeed they are. 450-500 b/Kg I think most types are. Just saw it the other day myself, but since I was

not going home directly (and did not see the owner there either), I did not enquire about it or buy at the time. Hope to try it soon.

a tuna tomato onion roll

a few weeks ago i fancied one for my tea so i went to the half moon on soi 2 ,, ordered it

and asked for some extra cheese to be added to take away ... no problem

when i got it home it looked a real soggy mess but the cheese they put in it

was nice thick slices and really tasty , crumbly and the nicest tasting cheese ive had for years

that roll was well worth 100 baht .. ill be back : )

dave2

post-42592-0-49967700-1335099083_thumb.j

post-42592-0-81301100-1335099301_thumb.j

Tried all the makro cheeses ,

but 2 days ago while in my local makro in Surin i picked up a different block to try...

PAULY mild chedder (distributed by schreiber foods inc, greenbay wi 54307)....2.27kg at 726bhat..

The best mild chedder iv`e manged to find in thailand at a reasonable cost so far...not greasy when toasted etc...macaroni cheese for me soon..bloody good chedder compared to the others..

NB.in buriram last night but their makro didn`t have it ? but that`s normal for makro...typical.

Could be new zealand tasty ?

a tuna tomato onion roll

a few weeks ago i fancied one for my tea so i went to the half moon on soi 2 ,, ordered it

was nice thick slices and really tasty , crumbly and the nicest tasting cheese ive had for years

dave2

The 2kg block at Makro (Hong Dong) for ~ 750 baht is NZ cheddar. I was tempted to buy it and freeze large portions except we have only a small freezer box (in fridge) and it needs regular defrosting. NB: Makro SuperHighway don't stock it.

Cheese does freeze well although probably better to share with 2 or 3 other ppl.

Makro also sell Anchor processed slices for those who like it.

Otherwise, BigC and Tops for quality Mainland block varieties, Edam, Tasty, Vintage etc.

a tuna tomato onion roll

dave2

Wow! That looks great! for just a 100 baht??!!

Where is this Half Moon bar place (doesn't look like a place to get a good food from the outside)? How much did you have to pay for the extra cheese?

THX

re .. Where is this Half Moon bar place

its in the soi directly behind mad dog ( which is closed at the mo for a re fit )

and the food there has always been good and the roll was 100 baht including the cheese

bugger .. this has got me wanting another one now : (

dave2

post-42592-0-48228900-1335155627_thumb.j

A couple of very good leads here from the members. Will have to see what Gecko Bar has. Is that the place on Khampeng Din to the right of Loy Kroh? Or perhaps its on the corner of Sridornchai?

Now, this horecasupply, does anybody know what the days are that it is open to the public? (If I read the post correctly that is what I understood).

A couple of very good leads here from the members. Will have to see what Gecko Bar has. Is that the place on Khampeng Din to the right of Loy Kroh? Or perhaps its on the corner of Sridornchai?

Now, this horecasupply, does anybody know what the days are that it is open to the public? (If I read the post correctly that is what I understood).

Un-quote

These open days are rather ad-hoc. It may be best to have a look at their website, create an account if possible, or ask to be put on their mailing list. Full website and contact details are on their website

www.horecasupply.com

On these open days - in addition to cheeses they sell a variety of other food and drink commodiies at good discount

• Like 1