Retiring To Thailand

tlethere

Thanks "theblether" - Good job I asked on here to you fine people, would have been a right co*k up had I just gone ahead! lol

I think in summary for me:

1) dont buy

2) rental with return to UK every 3 months

3) or cough up medical insurance. I know the stuff Im on is retailing online or direct at £600 a month - I'll be on it till I die sad.png so cheaper to fly home every 3 months.

Fiddlesticks! Well cant win 'em all. Medication is a deal breaker, financially doesnt work - halfway house is zipping back and forth. The irony is the NHS screwed up my body in the first place with a miss diagnosis. dam_n, should get special preference from the buggers cheesy.gif

Cheers everyone clap2.gif

Edited by tlethere

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) dont buy

3) or cough up medical insurance. I know the stuff Im on is retailing online or direct at £600 a month - I'll be on it till I die so cheaper to fly home every 3 months.

Fiddlesticks! Well cant win 'em all. Medication is a deal breaker, financially doesnt work - halfway house is zipping back and forth.

I would investigate the insurance angle a bit more closely. True "disaster" insurance - very high deductible, don't use it except in the event of something truly major, combined with a reasonable budget for maintenance visits to decent hospitals here, should pretty much cover you.

And if not, I'd still not make life decisions based on that one factor, if you get sick and die so be it, but in the meantime do what makes you happy otherwise what's the point?

"if you decide to go down company ownership route". If you change your mind and wish to consider buying a house be aware that at least in Chon Buri the Land Office last week announced that using a company entity for acquiring a residential house with land is no longer permitted for foreigners. I don't know if this is a national ruling.

Thanks "theblether" - Good job I asked on here to you fine people, would have been a right co*k up had I just gone ahead! lol

1) dont buy

3) or cough up medical insurance. I know the stuff Im on is retailing online or direct at £600 a month - I'll be on it till I die sad.png so cheaper to fly home every 3 months.

Fiddlesticks! Well cant win 'em all. Medication is a deal breaker, financially doesnt work - halfway house is zipping back and forth. The irony is the NHS screwed up my body in the first place with a miss diagnosis. dam_n, should get special preference from the buggers cheesy.gif

Point 2 above doesn't necessarily work for you either, if the government wants it that way!

The whole issue of residency has a much larger scope than how many days you spent in a particular place during a year, it used to be different but now it's being changed to take a more complete and holistic view over a much longer period. There are two key areas where residency impacts on you, the first is at the HMRC level and the second is at the NHS level, ultimately those two views will converge and there will be a single definition hence you have to watch and see what changes are comming out of both organisations if you want to understand what the future might look like.

I've attached a discussion document from HMRC, if you read it you'll see where they are headed. But it's important to remember that these arguments on residency can work in both directions; you can't argue with one organisation that you aren't resident for say tax purposes whilst arguing with the other (NHS) that you are for free health care purposes!

Edited by chiang mai

1) dont buy

Point 2 above doesn't necessarily work for you either, if the government wants it that way!

The whole issue of residency has a much larger scope than how many days you spent in a particular place during a year, it used to be different but now it's being changed to take a more complete and holistic view over a much longer period. There are two key areas where residency impacts on you, the first is at the HMRC level and the second is at the NHS level, ultimately those two views will converge and there will be a single definition hence you have to watch and see what changes are comming out of both organisations if you want to understand what the future might look like.

I've attached a discussion document from HMRC, if you read it you'll see where they are headed. But it's important to remember that these arguments on residency can work in both directions; you can't argue with one organisation that you aren't resident for say tax purposes whilst arguing with the other (NHS) that you are for free health care purposes!

Apologies, document now attached.

consult_condoc_statutory_residence.pdf

Edited by chiang mai