First Car-Buyer Rebate

chuang

Hi there, reference to the Thailand First Car Buyer Rebate...if one has bought a second-hand car before under his name, is he still eligible for the rebate..

and what is the eligible age ..is the rebate for all Thais irrespective whether they pay income tax or not..thanks.

Edited by chuang

I think minimum 21, maybe somebody else will confirm this later.

Income tax payment yes or no does not matter.

But has to be first car buyer, so previously bought second hand car makes this person not eligible.

http://www.thaivisa....-a-thai-person/

All cars sold in Thailand are liable to pay an excise tax (info on taxes here) - the first car buyer's program offers up to 100,000 Baht rebate on the excise tax value, after one year of ownership, with these basic rules:

• Purchaser must be a Thai national, and over 21 years old
  • Purchaser must have never had a car or truck registered in their name
  • Purchaser must agree to waive their rights to sell the car for 5 years
  • The car must be:
    • Made in Thailand
    • A pickup truck, or a passenger car with an engine less than or equal to 1.5L
    • Have a sticker price less than 1M Baht
    • Be purchased before Oct 30, 2012

Edited by MJCM

All cars sold in Thailand are liable to pay an excise tax (info on taxes here) - the first car buyer's program offers up to 100,000 Baht rebate on the excise tax value, after one year of ownership, with these basic rules:

• The car must be:
    • Made in Thailand

My wife submitted all required documents today, they said she'd hear in about 1 month whether she has been approved or not. The only difference to the above that I can remember is that if the car was bought on finance then the refund will probably also be made on a similar basis so instead of receiving the full amount after 1yr it will more than likely be paid out over a few years. And it is 1yr from submitting the documents, not 1yr of ownership. Not what was stated originally so a bit sneaky but TIT so not surprised!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by skybluestu

• The car must be:
    • Made in Thailand

My wife submitted all required documents today, they said she'd hear in about 1 month whether she has been approved or not. The only difference to the above that I can remember is that if the car was bought on finance then the refund will probably also be made on a similar basis so instead of receiving the full amount after 1yr it will more than likely be paid out over a few years. And it is 1yr from submitting the documents, not 1yr of ownership. Not what was stated originally so a bit sneaky but TIT so not surprised!

Was thinking about trying this and putting the next vehicle in my wife's name, but our first car here (bought second hand at the time), was registered in her name. Would the transport even have records back 10 years or this registration? I believe the car was registered in bkk (it had bkk plates), but she bought it outside of bkk.

Edited by culicine

Deadline is 30 october 2012 eh? I thought it was end of this year. So if we order car from dealer before 30 october, are we still eligible? Or car has to be bought and delivered and registered before 30 october? In that case I assume you have to place your order 1-2 months before early deadline.

Deadline is 30 october 2012 eh? I thought it was end of this year. So if we order car from dealer before 30 october, are we still eligible? Or car has to be bought and delivered and registered before 30 october? In that case I assume you have to place your order 1-2 months before early deadline.

I ordered a car now 3 months ago and am waiting for delivery. Was told that on delivery the paperwork for the rebate would be done.

• The car must be:
    • Made in Thailand

Was thinking about trying this and putting the next vehicle in my wife's name, but our first car here (bought second hand at the time), was registered in her name. Would the transport even have records back 10 years or this registration? I believe the car was registered in bkk (it had bkk plates), but she bought it outside of bkk.

With the number of people and files they have in these offices, I would expect them to find that previous registration.

• The car must be:
    • Made in Thailand

Eligible vehicles include passenger cars with an engine capacity of no more than 1,500cc (including eco-cars) and pickups (including double-cab pickups) priced at not more than Bt1 million. Previously, the scheme covered only eco-cars and pickups.

pickups with an engine cap more than 1.5 ltr are included. i can read the above statement to read cars max 1.5 ltr no price limit and pickups to have any size engine put priced below 1m baht. does it read different to anyone else

Eligible vehicles include passenger cars with an engine capacity of no more than 1,500cc (including eco-cars) and pickups (including double-cab pickups) priced at not more than Bt1 million. Previously, the scheme covered only eco-cars and pickups.

pickups with an engine cap more than 1.5 ltr are included. i can read the above statement to read cars max 1.5 ltr no price limit and pickups to have any size engine put priced below 1m baht. does it read different to anyone else

In the Post where I got that Quote from (Link to the post is above the Quote in post #3), there is more info available. Even the original (Thai) text from the tax department as a PDF Download.

Edited by MJCM

Will there be any knock-on effect in terms of used car prices that non-Thais can exploit?

If you can wait 5 years, perhaps smile.png

Well, if some people can buy new cars now in effect 100,000 baht cheaper, surely this will affect the current prices of used cars of the same model.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Additionally, there is a rumour that as with the first time house buyer scheme - the fate of which i know not - there is a set amount of applications they will accept. This rumour could be instigated by car salespeople hoping to push customers along in making their decisions. On the other hand, it could be true. Bottom line is, if you want to be safe and you are already decided on buying a car, do it sooner rather than later.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Additionally, there is a rumour that as with the first time house buyer scheme - the fate of which i know not - there is a set amount of applications they will accept. This rumour could be instigated by car salespeople hoping to push customers along in making their decisions. On the other hand, it could be true. Bottom line is, if you want to be safe and you are already decided on buying a car, do it sooner rather than later.

It will be tough then for many, as it seems a lot of these cars / pickups have no hope of being delivered before October; suzuki swift, some of the rangers/bt50's, jazz, etc.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

It will be tough then for many, as it seems a lot of these cars / pickups have no hope of being delivered before October; suzuki swift, some of the rangers/bt50's, jazz, etc.

Well yes, but then again, there are many cars / pickups that don't have long delivery waiting times. Just a case of being a bit flexible. I had a City on order before the floods came. Cancelled it and switched to an Almera. Would have prefered a City but the Almera was ready for collection in a matter of weeks, and it was much cheaper.... and of course if the tax rebate comes, cheaper still. No regrets.