Dump Of A Beach

rocky123

I come from a clean and green country (New Zealand), where I was active in the cleaning and greening, so Thailand is a real slap in the face!

I also come from NZ. It's not too difficult for a country with a population barely over 4 million and being one of the most isolated countries in the world to claim to be clean. Thailand's over 66 million with countless millions of tourists on top of that. I've seen some pretty dirty (with litter) tourist lookouts in the South Island of NZ too.

A lot of the aquatic bird life is migratory and doesn't arrive here until November. It's too hot the rest of the year for the type of bird life you're going to see in the South Island of NZ. It has nothing to do with the pollution - seagulls are scavengers and live on rubbish dumps (tips).

Check out the video clip I posted on post #22 - Bang Pu, near the Chao Phraya River delta - much dirtier water than here in Pattaya - and 100's of species of sea birds congregate there near the end of every year - it's a tourist attraction.

Edited by tropo

How do Naklua and Wong Amat beaches compare to Pattaya beach? Cleaner?

I live in na jomtien and go to the beach there - at the end of soi 12 na jomtien.

The sand is pretty good! Some shade, some beach eating and drinking places, not a lot of rubbish.

A few Russian tourists, a few expats and a few thais, no prostitutes.

But the water is usually dirty from river run off (deforestation of hill countries) and there is rubbish right up and down the coast on account of long shore drift.

It doesn't seem to land on shore so much on my little patch on account of the backwash being stronger than the swash (I'm getting technical here).

So there are places that are ok. Bang sarang is nice too (it's more northerly facing, see my comment coming up soon), but more of a hike.

Long shore drift here is from south to north, so rubbish will drift that way - from pattaya to naklua, but local geography - a spit or promontory, will veer it out, so the best places will be a north facing beach I imagine.

Just a theory, can someone confirm?

I come from a clean and green country (New Zealand), where I was active in the cleaning and greening, so Thailand is a real slap in the face!

I also come from NZ. It's not too difficult for a country with a population barely over 4 million and being one of the most isolated countries in the world to claim to be clean. Thailand's over 66 million with countless millions of tourists on top of that. I've seen some pretty dirty (with litter) tourist lookouts in the South Island of NZ too.

A lot of the aquatic bird life is migratory and doesn't arrive here until November. It's too hot the rest of the year for the type of bird life you're going to see in the South Island of NZ. It has nothing to do with the pollution - seagulls are scavengers and live on rubbish dumps (tips).

Check out the video clip I posted on post #22 - Bang Pu, near the Chao Phraya River delta - much dirtier water than here in Pattaya - and 100's of species of sea birds congregate there near the end of every year - it's a tourist attraction.

Oh! I didn't mean it as a put down for thailand. You are right, and the pressures on the environment here are immense.

I'm really pleased to hear your comment on migration, I look forward to it!

I was at bang saray the other day and I have to say, I missed seeing seagulls! They don't live in Thailand?

Oh! I didn't mean it as a put down for thailand. You are right, and the pressures on the environment here are immense.

I was at bang saray the other day and I have to say, I missed seeing seagulls! They don't live in Thailand?

Be careful what you wish for....Seagulls are a menace to everyone's life in Aberdeen, thieving buggers too.......

Be careful what you wish for....Seagulls are a menace to everyone's life in Aberdeen, thieving buggers too.......

That would be your scottish thieving seagull.

The ones in New Zealand are very nice and would pay for the doritos.

• Like 1

I spent a bit of time in India and the railway track there is the largest toilet in the world, i traveled around the island of Bali and could not walk because of all the plastic and garbage on the beach , i arrived back in Pattaya with all the dead fish and everything else that humans consume reminded me of the shit in India and Bali .

Cheers .

Naklua (to be clear means the bay where Zign Hotel and Sanctuary Condo are located and northwards) is a little cleaner but generally a mud flat when the tide goes out far enough. Besides, who wants to stare at Laem Chabang in the distance?

Wongamat (I mean the beach/coves where Dusit is located until around the new The Palm development) WAS very nice indeed until say 3 years ago. Now it is overdeveloped, there is thrash everywhere, the walkway has collapsed in various sections. The nice sandy stretch near Northpoint is claimed as their private beach. But the water is strewn with rubbish.

In summary, the beaches are in every way in need of much TLC.

No, I agree Thailand is not clean, I just don't believe the absence of sea birds is a result of the pollution.

That would be your scottish thieving seagull.

The ones in New Zealand are very nice and would pay for the doritos.

The seagull on Sydney beaches grab food off your table while you're eating. My wife couldn't help thinking what a good meal they'd make.

• Like 1

No, I agree Thailand is not clean, I just don't believe the absence of sea birds is a result of the pollution.

I'm in a technical mood today!

You are right re sea birds I think, but waders or shore birds are a different matter.

They need a lot of space, and here, as in the rest of the world, it is shrinking rapidly.

Western countries develop the wetlands and displace them, here there is a pollution problem.

I live in na jomtien, in the country between the beach and sukhumvit, and surrounded by wetlands. They are really polluted by the surrounding light industry and nothing lives, even soi dogs avoid them.

Wetlands are natures way of cleaning water, but here, at the moment, they're overloaded.

Actually not too hard to fix with sumps and soak holes to let the earth pick out the bigger bits, but there is absolutely no will to do anything. Bigger fish to fry with deforestation and burning.

It least our King is on the case, and I am sincere about that. I heard him recently talking about deforestation, aggredation of rivers and the ensuing floods, and urging a planting programme. Good man.

I live in Jomtien & the beach is a dissapointment ; too much rubbish & too many deck chairs , thanks to suggestions here I have been exploring further & further south from Pattaya to find some nice beachs.

Rayong is OK but,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chantaburi province is the best I have found so far; Hat Laem Sing area which seems to be a relatively prosperous place, 2-3 hours drive but worth it for sure : beachs that are cleaned daily & the fishing is good, great cheap seafood to eat & heaven if you like fruit , especiallly now mangosteens & rambutan are coming in season ,it's durian capital, advise driving 4 door saloon not a hatchback car when bringing back fruit , My Thai Mrs ( Issarn) got really excited when we first went there & saw all the durian orchards , we brought back heaps of fruit ( in the boot) It's a really green place. There is an interesting history here ( French occupied for a while and the biggest gothic cathderal in Thailand , really good roads with cycle paths & clean rest areas. National parks with waterfalls & very few farang ( no Russians)

• 2 weeks later...

went for a walk on the beach at jomtien this morning, first time i have ventured onto the beach, wife wanted to get her feet wet.

wow what a disgusting mess condoms, various bits of plastic, broken glass, a foamy scum and little dead fish took 3 or 4 steps and said to the wife lets get out of here and retreated to the path

wife was asking why the dead fish i am guessing pollution

what must tourists think of this mess why do they not clean the beach either by hand or with a tractor, i can remember as a kid in uk a tractor cleaning the sands of beach

what must tourists think of this mess why do they not clean the beach either by hand or with a tractor, i can remember as a kid in uk a tractor cleaning the sands of beach

This remains one of the biggest mysteries in Pattaya right up there with why they can't stop the jetski scammers.

If you go up to Pratumnak Hill Park there are garderners sweeping and tending the place everyday of the week yet the beach remains neglected. Few tourists use the park... they all use the beach.

How difficult would it be to employ gangs of beach cleaners.

I suppose we can all bang on and on about how bad the beaches are these days (and yes, I can vouch that up to 3 years ago, the beaches were quite acceptable at Wongamat) but when has the mayor, his cohorts and the city's leaders last set foot in the water? These days, one gets assaulted by all sorts of rubbish floating around and on the sea floor. Sad. And terribly embarrassing when I take visitors to the beach and they want to go home after 10 minutes.

I doubt that the mayor and town council members ever walk anywhere in town. If they did, they would be so embarrassed with the dirty beaches, the sewage in the water, no trash bins, and unuseable sidewalks. Going from place to place by car hides all the details. To many local Thais that live here, the beaches and sidewalks are for the "tourists"...the "farangs", not for them.

Edited by toenail

This remains one of the biggest mysteries in Pattaya right up there with why they can't stop the jetski scammers.

If you go up to Pratumnak Hill Park there are garderners sweeping and tending the place everyday of the week yet the beach remains neglected. Few tourists use the park... they all use the beach.

How difficult would it be to employ gangs of beach cleaners.

I have a feeling the maintenance budget has been plundered.

I live in Jomtien & the beach is a dissapointment ; too much rubbish & too many deck chairs , thanks to suggestions here I have been exploring further & further south from Pattaya to find some nice beachs.

Chantaburi province is the best I have found so far; Hat Laem Sing area which seems to be a relatively prosperous place, 2-3 hours drive but worth it for sure : beachs that are cleaned daily & the fishing is good, great cheap seafood to eat & heaven if you like fruit , especiallly now mangosteens & rambutan are coming in season ,it's durian capital, advise driving 4 door saloon not a hatchback car when bringing back fruit , My Thai Mrs ( Issarn) got really excited when we first went there & saw all the durian orchards , we brought back heaps of fruit ( in the boot) It's a really green place. There is an interesting history here ( French occupied for a while and the biggest gothic cathderal in Thailand , really good roads with cycle paths & clean rest areas. National parks with waterfalls & very few farang ( no Russians)

Sounds great - is it possible to bike-it to these areas ? Not worried about the distance but are the roads decent with few potholes ?

Naklua (to be clear means the bay where Zign Hotel and Sanctuary Condo are located and northwards) is a little cleaner but generally a mud flat when the tide goes out far enough. Besides, who wants to stare at Laem Chabang in the distance?

Wongamat (I mean the beach/coves where Dusit is located until around the new The Palm development) WAS very nice indeed until say 3 years ago. Now it is overdeveloped, there is thrash everywhere, the walkway has collapsed in various sections. The nice sandy stretch near Northpoint is claimed as their private beach. But the water is strewn with rubbish.

In summary, the beaches are in every way in need of much TLC.

Yep. The walkway was quite pleasant. Beautiful even. The water was better than the basic Pattaya beach around the corner. But I suspect not that much better since they really are not that far apart.

Sounds great - is it possible to bike-it to these areas ? Not worried about the distance but are the roads decent with few potholes ?

The cycle ride from the Laem Sing turn off ( either one ) in to the beach area & around the coast would be good as there is a cycle way & the roads are in good condition.

Because it's not a beach town it's a brothel town ....... thats why they clean walking street and not the beach

I suggest you get down here to see how many real tourists are flocking to Pattaya these days.

It IS a beach town. At the very worst it's a beach town with brothels.laugh.png

....the city could hire someone for 200baht a day and the person would go up and down the beach and continuously pick up rubbage that washes ashore.

You're hired!!! (BTW, what is rubbage? I think the word you want is rubbish.)

I can't understand why Pattaya doesn't invest in a tractor/rake setup like you see on other main beaches in the world. They're driven up and down the beach in the morning to clean them and get the beach ready for the day.

Something to understand about beaches here on the Eastern Seashore is that their state of cleanliness will vary depending on the weather and how rough it makes the sea. I live closer to Sattahip, and the beach behind my area is generally pretty good, but after a bad storm, it can be downright disgusting when much of the crap dumped by the boats and from the islands comes ashore.

The cycle ride from the Laem Sing turn off ( either one ) in to the beach area & around the coast would be good as there is a cycle way & the roads are in good condition.

I can only echo what stailmanki posted in his first post.

What he failed to mention was, the complete absence of jet ski scammers, the lack of hawkwers and peddlars on the beach, no ladyboy pick pockets, no time share touts or tailors touts, no Euro trash or princesses from Issan, a great place.

Yes its a great place for cycling, read the following post from a guy who lives there and posted on here.

What he failed to mention was, the complete absence of jet ski scammers, the lack of hawkwers and peddlars on the beach, no ladyboy pick pockets, no time share touts or tailors touts, no Euro trash or princesses from Issan, a great place.

Sounds far too boring. You'd be surprised how the tourist actually enjoy all the activities on Pattaya Beach. People who come here aren't really into quiet idyllic beaches.

The people coming here are used to swimming in the Baltic Sea or the Volga. To them, this is a paradise.

The mayor's campaign about calling this a world class, beautiful beach is lost on those of us who've seen

what a truly great beach is, but for the bumpkin tourist class that comprises Pattaya's trade these days,

its probably the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't look for them to do anything to improve it as long

as people keep flooding in here every high season.