How To Choose A Home

SteveLynch

I have been in and around Thailand for 10 years. I live in Chiang Mai, or should I say just out side it. I don't have big walls, no dog, no guns, last time I locked up my house was, oh yea, I never have. Be it while at work or away on holiday. My daughter goes to a wonderful school, but schools are what you make of them and how much you help your children and not expect others to do it for you, I have good neighbors and we all help each other and look out for each other. I am the only foreigner in the area, but now most of my neighbors are trying to learn English

I love it here and feel safer than back in the states and

well of to the market for the afternoon, and no, my house will not be locked.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't read my observations as negative but I would say you were an offshore manual laborer who is engaged in a dangerous occupation and spends about 90 days a year in Thailand. I don't think you read, write, speak or eat Thai.

Living in a place only 90 days out of 365 it is difficult to get an impression of the country or the people in the country, let alone the people you live with but as this is your reality you accept it as normal.

If it was me? I would not worry about buying a house I would worry about my future in a place I hardly understand and concentrate on building up my business so I could stay in Thailand full time.

Speaking Thai would also be a priority in my life as one is really hopelessly lost trying to understand Thailand or Thai people or a Thai wife and not being able to communicate in Thai.

I see you having a Thai family for 8 years and spending most nights offshore in a bar drinking with mates instead of trying to learn the language. Or maybe not drinking, maybe just playing games because drinking is prohibited in some off shore jobs. How many nights a year are you alone? 200? Why don't you speak Thai? Don't give me the language problem thing. Anyone can learn to read and write. Especially if you are making the big bucks you seem to be making.

I know you didn't ask for the information but take a look in the mirror. You have a Thai wife and children and don't even know how to talk to them! Throw some cold water on your head and get your priorities in order.

Kerry,

are you really as obnoxious and self opinionated as you come across? thought you were meant to mature as you aged, obviously not though as you really come across as a bitter old man who truly believes he knows it all, bit sad really

I take it you don't know many Irishmen.

Please don't read my observations as negative but I would say you were an offshore manual laborer who is engaged in a dangerous occupation and spends about 90 days a year in Thailand. I don't think you read, write, speak or eat Thai.

Living in a place only 90 days out of 365 it is difficult to get an impression of the country or the people in the country, let alone the people you live with but as this is your reality you accept it as normal.

If it was me? I would not worry about buying a house I would worry about my future in a place I hardly understand and concentrate on building up my business so I could stay in Thailand full time.

Speaking Thai would also be a priority in my life as one is really hopelessly lost trying to understand Thailand or Thai people or a Thai wife and not being able to communicate in Thai.

I see you having a Thai family for 8 years and spending most nights offshore in a bar drinking with mates instead of trying to learn the language. Or maybe not drinking, maybe just playing games because drinking is prohibited in some off shore jobs. How many nights a year are you alone? 200? Why don't you speak Thai? Don't give me the language problem thing. Anyone can learn to read and write. Especially if you are making the big bucks you seem to be making.

I know you didn't ask for the information but take a look in the mirror. You have a Thai wife and children and don't even know how to talk to them! Throw some cold water on your head and get your priorities in order.

Kerry,

are you really as obnoxious and self opinionated as you come across? thought you were meant to mature as you aged, obviously not though as you really come across as a bitter old man who truly believes he knows it all, bit sad really

American irish are not really irish kerry ,dont try to pull that bullshit here...... biggrin.png

To anyone that can afford to buy a house for 7 million in cash on here.

Fancy lending me a couple of million?

the land for my house which i bought in 2005 paying cash was 8.7 million Baht. the house which i paid for in cash was a multiple of the land price. that's why i don't qualify lending you a couple of millions.

profoundly sorry! sad.png

Cheapskate!

Kerry,

American irish are not really irish kerry ,dont try to pull that bullshit here...... biggrin.png

Actually I was thinking of the Irish I know in Pattaya.

Outside of Saint Patrick's day the subject of being Irish rarely comes up in the States outside of Boston and Chicago.

I did however grow up among Irish who were born in Ireland. Subtly was never a great virtue among my older relatives. They were firemen.

I did not always agree with them although I doubt if they would have flamed me as in “are you really as obnoxious and self opinionated as you come across? thought you were meant to mature as you aged, obviously not though as you really come across as a bitter old man who truly believes he knows it all, bit sad really.” I imagine they would have felt free to attack what I said rather than resort to that childish attack the messenger stuff.

I really think the level of Thai Visa posters is going downhill in that they can't seem to put together a cognitive rebuttal and have to resort to personality assassination instead. Maybe it is just that the tourist season is over and every body is in a bad mood because of the British weather.

• Like 1

Kerry,

See you are back waffling rubbish again and you are confirming what I pointed out, why are you going on about Irish immigrants to North America and British weather? I cant be bothered with you Kerry you obviously have too much time on your hands and you really do come across as a bit of an old smart arse

Kerry,

See you are back waffling rubbish again and you are confirming what I pointed out, why are you going on about Irish immigrants to North America and British weather? I cant be bothered with you Kerry you obviously have too much time on your hands and you really do come across as a bit of an old smart arse

Typical flame, I am surprised you didn't use the C word. What is it with you people? Are you another guy in a long term relationship with a Thai woman and you don't speak Thai?

The subject of my post was the problems with a long distance relationship and making it more difficult by not speaking the language of the country of residence.

Would you think your wife was a dummy if she moved to England and didn't speak English after 8 years?

This guy is deluded.........

The answer to your question about how many people have 1 million baht to splash out on your new space is best answered this way...........as a middle aged guy, with a family and looking for a new home, why don't you have at least that available? You would be amazed at the amount of members here that could pay that 7 million off in cash at your age too. Maybe you should up your game.

My reading of it is that you are kidding yourself on, it takes a special kind of self delusion to take on a property that you cannot own, and a commitment to repay it over 40 years. Your nonsense about not losing a bean is exactly that, you are risking the primary asset of your life, your home. You are risking every penny of your deposit, every penny of home improvement, every penny of the mortgage payments, you are risking everything on an asset you cannot own.

Go have a look in the mirror and repeat all that to yourself, if it doesn't sink in then you are beyond help.

I'd like to see the look on your face when your approaching 60 and the lady kicks you out on your ear. Naturally you will be that bumptious that you will be thinking it will never happen to you.

Maybe in years to come you will look back at this thread and blush at the drivel you have posted here.

Ok buddy thanks for that

Please inform me where I said I didn't have money

It was a retort to once more a poor comment about people purchasing homes in Thailand ,Thais

and reference to his friends not my self

I don't think calling me deluded is cool tough ,buying a house or condo as many members could do with their own cash that might be

Thanks for your comments All the same

Airy fairy nonsense..........I can't be bothered dissecting your previous posts, carry on regardless sir. Good luck thumbsup.gif

Kerry,

Typical flame, I am surprised you didn't use the C word. What is it with you people? Are you another guy in a long term relationship with a Thai woman and you don't speak Thai?

The subject of my post was the problems with a long distance relationship and making it more difficult by not speaking the language of the country of residence.

Would you think your wife was a dummy if she moved to England and didn't speak English after 8 years?

But I did not use the "c word" did I you did which I reckon says quite a lot about you...I have noticed you have a high opinion of yourself and a low one of anybody who does not agree with you and it is fair to say I probably dont agree with you on lots of things! I will not get into a discourse with you as I believe that you think you know it all and it would be a complete waste of time and energy, OP sorry about derailing your thread but ignorant people having a pop and getting in sneaky digs annoys me

Kerry,

But I did not use the "c word" did I you did which I reckon says quite a lot about you...I have noticed you have a high opinion of yourself and a low one of anybody who does not agree with you and it is fair to say I probably dont agree with you on lots of things! I will not get into a discourse with you as I believe that you think you know it all and it would be a complete waste of time and energy, OP sorry about derailing your thread but ignorant people having a pop and getting in sneaky digs annoys me

Didn't you parents tell you what a flame was? You are supposed to discuss what I wrote not how you feel about me. So tell me, "Would you think your wife was a dummy if she moved to England and didn't speak English after 8 years?"

Attention all Thaivisa members!

If you cant speak Thai you are a dummy.

And your girlfriend or wife is a hooker.

But dont worry about it because she just wants your money anyway.

In fact she already is looking for a hitman.

And thats NOT her brother.

• Like 2

This guy is deluded.........

The answer to your question about how many people have 1 million baht to splash out on your new space is best answered this way...........as a middle aged guy, with a family and looking for a new home, why don't you have at least that available? You would be amazed at the amount of members here that could pay that 7 million off in cash at your age too. Maybe you should up your game.

My reading of it is that you are kidding yourself on, it takes a special kind of self delusion to take on a property that you cannot own, and a commitment to repay it over 40 years. Your nonsense about not losing a bean is exactly that, you are risking the primary asset of your life, your home. You are risking every penny of your deposit, every penny of home improvement, every penny of the mortgage payments, you are risking everything on an asset you cannot own.

Go have a look in the mirror and repeat all that to yourself, if it doesn't sink in then you are beyond help.

I'd like to see the look on your face when your approaching 60 and the lady kicks you out on your ear. Naturally you will be that bumptious that you will be thinking it will never happen to you.

Maybe in years to come you will look back at this thread and blush at the drivel you have posted here.

Ok buddy thanks for that

Please inform me where I said I didn't have money

It was a retort to once more a poor comment about people purchasing homes in Thailand ,Thais

and reference to his friends not my self

I don't think calling me deluded is cool tough ,buying a house or condo as many members could do with their own cash that might be

Thanks for your comments All the same

Airy fairy nonsense..........I can't be bothered dissecting your previous posts, carry on regardless sir. Good luck thumbsup.gif

Haha

Class act mate

Attention all Thaivisa members!

If you cant speak Thai you are a dummy.

And your girlfriend or wife is a hooker.

But dont worry about it because she just wants your money anyway.

In fact she already is looking for a hitman.

And thats NOT her brother.

Another member has gone crazy! biggrin.png

I blame the heat myself...whistling.gif

• Like 2

Kerry,

That's ok ,

Although I haven't picked upma language skill ,and apparently am a dummy ,have no money in the bank and just play hard ,plus my gf is a money grabbing whore ,who at the first chance will dump me for a bigger paycheck

I have learned something in this country ,it's full of people who want to rub your nose in it ,

As I said previously I'll take advice if it's worthwhile ,

No body can know THailand and that goes for any country your in

You can only know what you see in your little circle ,if you happen to hitch up with a whore that's what you will know about THailand ,if you spend your time dealing with crusty ol bits in a bar discussing that everybody is out to get you that will be what you know

Same way if you meet people who have had a upbringing similar to your own that's what you will know

Maybe I was lucky ,maybe I met nice people here gf included ,maybe that's why I have a better view on who I am letting in to my life

For the poster who suggest I cut of the cash cow to a my girl ,what cash cow !

we are two people building for the future both bringing in incomes and both making decision for what's best for our family ,

funny thing is she has read this forum today and seemed quite upset that a huge majority of guys inhere speak about Thai women in such a bad way ,then again she hasn't met many barflies either .....I can't say much to that but laugh and feel sorry that somebody really took you to town .

and who have tried this money hiding approach I hope she never gets to read about how you really feel about her Fellow country women.

I have met plenty of guys here who have got stung ,but usually they have out spent them selves ,and when the slap times come couldn't afford to defend themselves in court

I have never met a wealthy person who got stung by a Thai woman ,only barflies and whore mongers ,lie in a gutter a rat will bite you ,my girl isn't a rat ,and she didn't grow up in a gutter ,if yours did I'm again sorry for you .

Kerry k ,I am not a dummy I'm a successful man in his thirties with a real Irish accent ,I won't berate you for your opinion on guys who don't speak Thai as well as you ,I wish I could ,i have been trying to learn more ,

why dont you try in future tough to use your wealth of experience in this country to encourage people ,as opposed to trying to rip them a new hole coz they are not at the level you are

I'm kinda done with this post it's boring for me to have to explain who I am to people who can't even be courteous

Good night

• Like 2

so the plan is to put the house and land only in the wife name and then get a mortgage in her name? if this is the case, as you are not married, how much consideration will the bank give to her farang sponser's alleged offshore income? i would recommend talking with the bank before you focus on home shopping. and before you mentioned 40 yr mortgage, i don't believe that exists. good luck.

most women would run if you told them theyre going to living on 3000 thb per month for the unforseeable future (esp a young hot one !)

what are her friends and family going to say when she tels them that ?(YOU CAN DO BETTER GIRL <DUMP HIM AND FIND ANOTHER )

i think its a bad move ,3000 is nothing thesedays ,esp as they are living in bkk

Yes, exactly my point, and that's why it's an effective test if you want to see if your girl "really loves you". For me personally it's not important I don't expect that, but some guys firmly believe their girl is really with them only for love not money. By our (again IMO unrealistic western) standards, such a girl would never leave the marriage because of problems like money, sickness, accident, if necessary they would go work in a factory to support their husband if necessary. I don't expect that here, but some do and kid themselves that that's what they've got and if/when something major like that happens are in for a surprise. I'm suggesting the truth be learned at the early stage of the relationship, and certainly before buying her land and houses.

Re the amount, I was basing that on the fact that the usualy rent/bills etc were already being taken care of and this was just food money, and the fact that he lives in CM. Of course you could increase it to 4 or 5, but as it goes up and becomes more "tolerable" for the girl then it starts to fail as a test.

It's also important not to imply that the "bad luck" situation is just temporary with a fixed end-date, but let her believe it's possible it will continue for at least a year or two.

I understand most guys won't want to put their relationship through such stress, and only advocate it for those that have (IMO mistakenly) shared their prosperous financial details with their SO and allowed her to benefit to a very high degree from their overspending right from the beginning of the relationship, therefore making money that more likely the basis for the attraction.

A lot of people who ask for advice on Thai Visa are really asking for confirmation of ideas. That is not the same thing as asking for advice.

Giving advice also involves knowing something about the question. For example a person who has lived in Thailand for 8 years is going to be substantially different than a person who has visited Thailand for 6 months a year for 8 years. One is a resident and the other is a tourist.

When a person asks for advice they assume a responsibility to tell the truth if they want a truthful answer in return.

If a poster says he has lived in Thailand for 8 years and he has never lived in Thailand the people responding to the question could be rightly upset.

The only reason a women comes into this thread in my opinion is because a Farang can't own land under most circumstances. It is also illegal for a woman to buy land for a Farang so actually it is a moot point. Why would a Thai women live with a Farang for 8 years and not be married? Anyone want to go there? No, I didn't think so.

So what you have here is a pretty typical story of an offshore worker trying to make it against all odds. Not only is there a 50% chance that a marriage will not work what are the odds that a common law marriage, with a person from a different culture that you only see half the year will work? That has as much chance of working as the man who tries to take a Thai woman out of Thailand. Almost none.

The original poster did not tell the whole story in the original post. It never occurred to him it was necessary to get a good answer to his question.

To be honest I guess I should have ignored all the major issues and pretended to be a dummy like the rest and advised him about the weather in Chiang Mai as opposed to Bangkok. I did live in Chiang Mai for three years and could have done that.

I have to agree with Kerry.

I can never understand why a guy lives with a woman for years without marriage, especially a Thai woman who values marriage so highly.

To the OP, I don't see many people calling your gf a hooker, but many women all over the world consider a house their lover buys as rightfully theirs. That's not hooker behaviour, that's normal woman behaviour. Almost every non-Thai-man I know has bought and lost at least one house to a woman (Thai or non-Thai).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

A lot of people who ask for advice on Thai Visa are really asking for confirmation of ideas. That is not the same thing as asking for advice.

Giving advice also involves knowing something about the question. For example a person who has lived in Thailand for 8 years is going to be substantially different than a person who has visited Thailand for 6 months a year for 8 years. One is a resident and the other is a tourist.

When a person asks for advice they assume a responsibility to tell the truth if they want a truthful answer in return.

If a poster says he has lived in Thailand for 8 years and he has never lived in Thailand the people responding to the question could be rightly upset.

The only reason a women comes into this thread in my opinion is because a Farang can't own land under most circumstances. It is also illegal for a woman to buy land for a Farang so actually it is a moot point. Why would a Thai women live with a Farang for 8 years and not be married? Anyone want to go there? No, I didn't think so.

So what you have here is a pretty typical story of an offshore worker trying to make it against all odds. Not only is there a 50% chance that a marriage will not work what are the odds that a common law marriage, with a person from a different culture that you only see half the year will work? That has as much chance of working as the man who tries to take a Thai woman out of Thailand. Almost none.

The original poster did not tell the whole story in the original post. It never occurred to him it was necessary to get a good answer to his question.

To be honest I guess I should have ignored all the major issues and pretended to be a dummy like the rest and advised him about the weather in Chiang Mai as opposed to Bangkok. I did live in Chiang Mai for three years and could have done that.

Once again

Replies that have no connection to the original post

Yes it has evolved ,but if you are going to refer to why I asked for advise it was about home security

Not about anything else

From that

I got peppered on why I am on thee forum

Is my girl a whore

Is she only after money

Do I have money

Am I in my thirties

You didn't give all the information

You don't know your finances

Do you work off shore

Only 2-3 people actually gave solid advice

I didn't come on here to divulge my personal details my job my gf job ,but it's a hard crowd on Thai visa ,and your pushed in to it ,if not you get branded a troll ,if you do you get call a dummy can't win

Kerry you assume a lot ,and to be honest I'm quite disappointed I am not a great poster but a avid reader of Thai visa ,I have read a lot of your comments on this site and before this would have held your opinion on this site in high regard ,but with all your knowledge and expierencein this country you come across as a complete toolbox

I am not in to keyboard warrior style arguments But if anybody wants to read the original post and offer their opinion on how to choose a home I would gladly read your toughts ,if you decide do not read what I ask and assume youknow me based on 40 odd replys to posts I have written,please don't waste your time

Steve

• Like 1

I am not in to keyboard warrior style arguments But if anybody wants to read the original post and offer their opinion on how to choose a home I would gladly read your toughts ,if you decide do not read what I ask and assume youknow me based on 40 odd replys to posts I have written,please don't waste your time

Steve

My best advice on how to choose a home (for anyone) would be to start looking in a country where you are entitled to buy and own a home.

I can never understand why a guy lives with a woman for years without marriage, especially a Thai woman who values marriage so highly.

To the OP, I don't see many people calling your gf a hooker, but many women all over the world consider a house their lover buys as rightfully theirs. That's not hooker behaviour, that's normal woman behaviour. Almost every non-Thai-man I know has bought and lost at least one house to a woman (Thai or non-Thai).

Thanks tommo

I never said I was with her for eight years mate ,read back if you will

Kerry k assumed I was because I said I was here eight years

I said we have a family ,I said we are engaged ,to be married this year

I love the way only parts of posts get picked out to be scrutinized

Thanks tommo

I never said I was with her for eight years mate ,read back if you will

Kerry k assumed I was because I said I was here eight years

I said we have a family ,I said we are engaged ,to be married this year

I love the way only parts of posts get picked out to be scrutinized

You post suggests you have been with her for years and have children together.

If you have children with a woman, why would you not be married to her?

If this gf has only been with you a short time, and the children are not yours then many of us would be making much harsher posts on this thread and you would be even less likely to be keeping any house you purchase in Thailand.

PS

Eaking out information, then waiting for people to make erroneous assumptions is what trolls usually do.

I am now assuming that nothing you have posted about yourself is true in any way, and you are just another long term TV member with multiple accounts playing around.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Hi there,

We settled on the outskirts of Bangkok. Plenty good schools around here.

We chose subdevision type, because of all the aminities with it, public park, security etc.

No problem with water....

Retrospectivly, next home will be self built, as we discovered too many building faults in our 10.000.000 baht Sansiri home.

My advise is check really careful for all details if you end up buying a ready built house.

PS we do have plenty animals; Dogs,Fish,Birds.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Thanks Stefan

That's a shame to hear I looked at some sansiri places and to my eye the quality was better than some of the other places ,that to my mind why their prices are a bit higher

I have been going into some older places looking at how the front of the houses hold up over the years ,sad to see on some properties paint peeling ,gates hanging off and the like

But also some that look like they were built yesterday

I notice in the place I rent right now ,the quality of the pool and park have gone down ,the security has recently changed ,used to be a glorious welcome with the clicking of heels ,to now a grunt from a guy who shouldn't be guarding anything

Best of luck in your next home

Hi Steve,

The things I would look for in particular for quality built are:

1) Water drains, piping, scuppers. Materials and installation.

2) Ceilings. Space between false ceilings. Also check for openings to the outside.

3) Roof. Go up there and see if the beems are all steel or parts of it are "cheap wood"

4) paintwork on windows, door frames etc. . Ours were not painted from underneeth, where moisture gets in.

Anyway the list could go on...

• Like 1

Rubbish, I know many guys in Australia who are in very long term relationships with Thai women - nearly all originally from the bar scene

• Like 1

Some topics and posts are like a mystery novel. It is rare that a post presents enough information to give a good answer.

An Irish off shore worker living in Thailand part time with a woman and children wants to know how to secure his home.

As opposed to a business owner living with his wife and family in Thailand for 8 years.

You are going to get quite different answers.

I know an Irish off shore worker who has lived part time in Thailand for 10 years. He owns three local businesses and buys a new Harley every year. The guy is hooked up and connected. He has a great life. He is one out of a thousand. I know another another Irish gentleman who has a wife and family living in Thailand and does quite well. And another who is retired in Thailand originally from Ireland and does not do so well.

But you did not offer enough information initially to provide you with a good answer. BTW I have no idea and I am sure no one else does either what a successful man in his 30's is. I was a millionaire when I was 30 and broke when I was 40. I should have listened to my father a bit more.

I only gave you the basics about language that anyone with a lick of sense knows. Sorry if I did not sugar coat it.

• Like 1

Rubbish, I know many guys in Australia who are in very long term relationships with Thai women - nearly all originally from the bar scene

Rubbish! I love the rubbish posts. I get that all the time. Honest, I never said anything about bar girls! I quite like bar girls. I find them a lot like potato chips. Or maybe popcorn. Anyway I like them and rarely only have one at a time. I mean, who buys one potato chip, right?

I really don't know what it is with Australians and the long term relationship thing on Thai Visa. Can't figure it out myself. But good on ya.

I can only speak to my own experience. Thai women are like rare tropical flowers and don't grow outside of Thailand well. Women from the Philippines on the other hand seem to flourish outside of their home country. I only mention that to let you know that I don't think all Asian women are the same.

Now if you had said you knew a lot of Philippine ex bar girls who were happy in Australia I would have completely agreed with you.

A simple question. Why have some of you guys married a women you do not trust?

Sure some guys will be turned over by their wives, but is this just localized to Thai women? A friend of mine was stung by a divorce where he was only allowed 10% of his house's worth and lost a lot more besides. He was a farang and, shock horror, so was she. Of course there is always a risk, but if you dont trust the women why marry her?

I know many on here will say I'm a fool, but all of my assests and the majority of my cash is in my wifes name. Does it keep me awake a night? No, I trust her and that is one of the most important qualities I needed before I took the plunge. We both know each others atm card numbers, I do not give her an allowance and I'm not rich where money is like water.

We are a team and I wouldnt want it any other way.