Best 3G/4G Provider In Thailand? Dtac? Ais? Other?

BigBikeBKK

I've been using DTAC with my iPhone 4 and have been pretty happy with the 3G speed and coverage in and around Bangkok and have noticed that their 3G network is growing quickly though lately the connection speeds have been rather unstable.

My gf uses AIS for her iPhone and while initially AIS lagged far behind DTAC in terms of coverage and speed it seems they are catching up and the connection generally seems more stable than DTAC lately.

Now I'm looking to buy a new iPad and need to decide which company to use for 4G data coverage in Thailand.

Would be grateful for any recommendations / reviews.

Thanks! wai.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not even real 3G in Thailand. What AIS, True, DTac are offering is a 2G technology. The speed is in below 1Mbps.

The real 3G is still waiting to be auctioned away, but NTBC take for ever to even set the auction rules.

Don't expect real 3G anytime soon, certainly not this year. Maybe the auction will be end of this year, but then again, maybe one of the player will file another lawsuit and torpedo the whole thing again.

The ICT Minister will most likely be replaced soon, after his blunder with the tablets. So more delays...

Thanks for the replies gents.

Yes, I'm aware that Thailand still doesn't have 4G, but one can always hope (and plan ahead to choose the carrier that will offer it first) ;)

I seem to recall that DTAC was first to offer 3G but does anyone care to guess if/when someone might offer 4G in Thailand?

Re- TRUE: I'm using TRUE for my cable TV and cable internet and can't say that I've been terribly happy with their customer service. It takes FOREVER to reach customer service and once you do it usually takes them 1-2 days to send a tech.

That said, I'm not averse to giving them a try for 3G. Good lord what a terribly designed website they have!

Anyone understand what the difference is between "TrueMove H | 3G+" and "TrueMove" as shown below?

MNPota_lvD.jpg

It seems their unlimited plan pricing is only a little more expensive what I'm paying for my DTAC service now-

ipad_promotion_mar4.jpg

There is not even real 3G in Thailand. What AIS, True, DTac are offering is a 2G technology. The speed is in below 1Mbps.

The real 3G is still waiting to be auctioned away, but NTBC take for ever to even set the auction rules.

Don't expect real 3G anytime soon, certainly not this year. Maybe the auction will be end of this year, but then again, maybe one of the player will file another lawsuit and torpedo the whole thing again.

The ICT Minister will most likely be replaced soon, after his blunder with the tablets. So more delays...

What a load of dollup.................. who let this guy out of the nut house?

BigBike, you cant get TrueMove3G anymore as a new subscriber, only TrueMove H. (the new CAT-True deal). At the end of the day you would not want the old one anyway, as the coverage is tons smaller now, and the technology i believe was UMTS, not HSPA+ ( Dominique seems to think HSPA+ is 2g smile.png ).

p.s

here is the download just now... upload sucked on this one post-25605-0-68398100-1335767459_thumb.p

Edited by skippybangkok

For the OP, there will likely not be any consensus re: the best 3G provider as there are so many variables, not the least of which is location. I would experiment with some SIMs, they can usually be found for 49 - 99 baht, and daily plans which are ~ 49 baht. Once you find a service provider you are satisifed with you can enter into a longer term arrangement, Very generally speaking, and based on purely anecdotal information, TrueMove H(/CAT My) have the most national coverage, and the fewest customers, and the best performance in all but the most dense areas of Bangkok, DTAC/Happy have decent coverage in metro-Bangkok and many other metropolitan areas, along with decent performance. AIS/One-2-Call have the second most national coverage but their performance is severely lacking owing perhaps to to crappy equipment (a hodge-podge of free trial stuff they've pried from eager/greedy vendors) and poor frequency allocation.

Anyone understand what the difference is between "TrueMove H | 3G+" and "TrueMove" as shown below?

Too complex to address but suffice to say that you should be looking at TrueMove H rather than TrueMove.

Not sure what dominique355 is prattling on about as we've had 3G here since what, 2009? I've used TOT, TrueMove, TrueMove H, AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy 3G; all are 'real' 3G offering multi-megabit service.

I am currently using DTAC/Happy 3G, here is a recent result: (note my HW is limited to 7.2 Mbps)

post-9615-0-88555700-1335766965_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

True 3H is the Cat / true deal.. it probably has the largest coverage in thailand for 3g at the moment.. it is on the 850mhz 3g spectrum.

There are many different packages to choose from.... but it is still True.. so expect to be disappointed from time to time.

Wrong.

For the OP, there will likely not be any consensus re: the best 3G provider as there are so many variables, not the least of which is location. I would experiment with some SIMs, they can usually be found for 49 - 99 baht, and daily plans which are ~ 49 baht. Once you find a service provider you are satisifed with you can enter into a longer term arrangement, Very generally speaking, and based on purely anecdotal information, TrueMove H(/CAT My) have the most national coverage, and the fewest customers, and the best performance in all but the most dense areas of Bangkok, DTAC/Happy have decent coverage in metro-Bangkok and many other metropolitan areas, along with decent performance. AIS/One-2-Call have the second most national coverage but their performance is severely lacking owing perhaps to to crappy equipment (a hodge-podge of free trial stuff they've pried from eager/greedy vendors) and poor frequency allocation.

Listen to this guy.

Too complex to address but suffice to say that you should be looking at TrueMove H rather than TrueMove.

Not sure what dominique355 is prattling on about as we've had 3G here since what, 2009? I've used TOT, TrueMove, TrueMove H, AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy 3G; all are 'real' 3G offering multi-megabit service.

I am currently using DTAC/Happy 3G, here is a recent result: (note my HW is limits to 7.2 Mbps)

As far as I'm aware, TrueMove H is what is loosely described as 3.5G. Where their 3G network had a theoretical network maximum of 21Mbps, their H network's theoretical network maximum is 42Mbps.

In the real world, this does not mean your data is twice as fast as 3G, but it is significantly faster, even with lower signals.

I've been using it since December, and the only place I've had service issues is on the road between Surat Thani and Krabi.

My speeds are consistently above 5Mbps.

TrueMove is no longer marketing 3G, so not an option for the OP.

When people ask what the difference is between TrueMove and TrueMove H I have this slide (from a True Corp. presentation no less) handy:

Bwahaha! I opened the slide and my head exploded! crazy.gif

Seriously though, thanks for all the helpful replies- it sounds like TRUEMoveH 3G+ is probably the way to go.

Cheers! wai.gif

.............Very generally speaking, and based on purely anecdotal information, TrueMove H(/CAT My) have the most national coverage, and the fewest customers , and the best performance in all but the most dense areas of Bangkok

Sorry on this one.......

If you can access Speedtest.net data, you will see TrueMoveH tests are 3x more than DTAC, and 5x more than AIS.

Edited by skippybangkok

Thanks for the replies gents.

Yes, I'm aware that Thailand still doesn't have 4G, but one can always hope (and plan ahead to choose the carrier that will offer it first) wink.png

I seem to recall that DTAC was first to offer 3G but does anyone care to guess if/when someone might offer 4G in Thailand?

Re- TRUE: I'm using TRUE for my cable TV and cable internet and can't say that I've been terribly happy with their customer service. It takes FOREVER to reach customer service and once you do it usually takes them 1-2 days to send a tech.

That said, I'm not averse to giving them a try for 3G. Good lord what a terribly designed website they have!

MNPota_lvD.jpg

It seems their unlimited plan pricing is only a little more expensive what I'm paying for my DTAC service now-

ipad_promotion_mar4.jpg

Regarding the two maps above, I think the map on the left shows True's 2G (EDGE/GPRS) and 3G service in the 77 provinces (counting Bankgok) of Thailand; the map on the right shows removes the 2G coverage and then shows the 3G coverage only which is limited to a few cities/areas of Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, HuaHin, and Pattaya. On a nation-wide basis, 3G coverage is still pretty minimual for all service providers, but the way they advertise it a person could think you can get coverage in any village in Thailand.

Regarding the two maps above, I think the map on the left shows True's 2G (EDGE/GPRS) and 3G service in the 77 provinces (counting Bankgok) of Thailand; the map on the right shows removes the 2G coverage and then shows the 3G coverage only which is limited to a few cities/areas of Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, HuaHin, and Pattaya. On a nation-wide basis, 3G coverage is still pretty minimual for all service providers, but the way they advertise it a person could think you can get coverage in any village in Thailand.

Left one is 3G+ on TrueMove H, the right one is 3G on the trial network (under TrueMove)...... they are kinda telling you clearly "its time to move to H".

See here for 3G+ coverage..... http://www3.truecorp...eh/icoveragemap

I have traveled quite a bit lately, been ko lanta, phi phi, phuket, past ayudhaya , Chataburi, hua hin etc..... can comfirm there is alot of 3G (down side wife was on the iPad too much whilst driving )

as you can see, alot already.

Edited by skippybangkok

Left one is 3G+ on TrueMove H, the right one is 3G on the trial network (under TrueMove)...... they are kinda telling you clearly "its time to move to H".

See here for 3G+ coverage..... http://www3.truecorp...eh/icoveragemap

I have traveled quite a bit lately, been ko lanta, phi phi, phuket, past ayudhaya , Chataburi, hua hin etc..... can comfirm there is alot of 3G (down side wife was on the iPad too much whilst driving )

as you can see, alot already.

+1

I've driven from Samui to Ko Lanta, Samui to Bangkok, and Chaing Mai to Bangkok via Sukhothai, and my (full 3G H) coverage pretty much matched the left map.

Obviously, I stand corrected. Anyone know what 3G H speed they are actually getting when outside a major city like Bangkok? Thanks.

By the nature of 3G, you should get a higher speed upcountry than in Bangkok, in congested area's as its a shared service (less people = more for you assuming a same sized dimensioning of the network).

The main issue in Bangkok, the regulators have given the bare min of frequency ("spectrum"), as such, operators have to really manage their networks to the hilt to ensure decent through put.

I had 3G reception from True on my iPhone 3GS in Vientiane back in the middle of February. I can only guess I was picking it up from Nong Khai. Either way, it worked fine there. As far as the new 3G H I got a move or else message a few days ago (Google translation):

True HD transfer, I invite you to use True True HD 3G because of the 3G services will be Shih True pretty soon. To continue to use 3G. Faster than ever and is available nationwide. The project's original appearance. With free bonus 100 minutes / month for 3 months to confirm the transfer of only one type and send SMS to 90022 (free) before 03/05/12 For more information or check out the pro's True HD www.trueiservice. .com / mnpfortruemove.

This the translation of the message I got on Friday (Google translation):

True HD to transfer you to use 3G service to continue to use 3G. Before migrate one day you will receive an SMS alert to get the power transfer. When you are finished. The signal on the screen may be missing. Or does not work as expected. Please restart the machine to start using True HD. Check the status of the transfer. www.trueiservice.com / mnpfortruemove.

You can go to their website and check (if you have their service now) your phone number and they will give you the details, 42 Mbps, price plan etc. They matched my previous iPhone 3G plan to the baht. I'll let you know when they finish the switch over how good (or bad) it is. Right now the net seems a little wonky here in Chiang Mai, I just ran a speed test and came up with download speeds of 4.34 - 4.96 Mbps

I had 3G reception from True on my iPhone 3GS in Vientiane back in the middle of February. I can only guess I was picking it up from Nong Khai. Either way, it worked fine there. As far as the new 3G H I got a move or else message a few days ago (Google translation):

True HD transfer, I invite you to use True True HD 3G because of the 3G services will be Shih True pretty soon. To continue to use 3G. Faster than ever and is available nationwide. The project's original appearance. With free bonus 100 minutes / month for 3 months to confirm the transfer of only one type and send SMS to 90022 (free) before 03/05/12 For more information or check out the pro's True HD www.trueiservice. .com / mnpfortruemove.

This the translation of the message I got on Friday (Google translation):

True HD to transfer you to use 3G service to continue to use 3G. Before migrate one day you will receive an SMS alert to get the power transfer. When you are finished. The signal on the screen may be missing. Or does not work as expected. Please restart the machine to start using True HD. Check the status of the transfer. www.trueiservice.com / mnpfortruemove.

You can go to their website and check (if you have their service now) your phone number and they will give you the details, 42 Mbps, price plan etc. They matched my previous iPhone 3G plan to the baht. I'll let you know when they finish the switch over how good (or bad) it is. Right now the net seems a little wonky here in Chiang Mai, I just ran a speed test and came up with download speeds of 4.34 - 4.96 Mbps

anyone staying on the old TrueMove trial network is a masochist IMHO

I migrated ipad in december, and after my holiday in Phuket, where the ipad had 3G ( even when sailing between phi phi and phuket) , and iphone 2G, i moved my iphone to TrueMove H too.

Edited by skippybangkok

Obviously, I stand corrected. Anyone know what 3G H speed they are actually getting when outside a major city like Bangkok? Thanks.

Here are some tests from my travels earlier this year:

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Lamai, Ko Samui

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6545 kbps (818.1 KB/sec; 6.39Mbps)

Upload Speed: 2918 kbps (364.8 KB/sec; 2.85Mbps)

Latency: 174 ms

01 January 2012 18:19

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Sairee Beach, Ko Tao

Last Result:

Download Speed: 5923 kbps (740.4 KB/sec; 5.78Mbps)

Upload Speed: 2244 kbps (280.5 KB/sec; 2.19Mbps)

Latency: 102 ms

15 January 2012 18:30

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Lumphini, Bangkok

Last Result:

Download Speed: 4438 kbps (554.8 KB/sec; 4.33Mbps)

Upload Speed: 220 kbps (27.5 KB/sec; 0.21Mbps)

Latency: 264 ms

18 January 2012 10:05

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Sala Dan, Ko Lanta

Last Result:

Download Speed: 4234 kbps (529.2 KB/sec; 4.13Mbps)

Upload Speed: 3671 kbps (458.9 KB/sec; 3.58Mbps)

Latency: 143 ms

10 February 2012 10:28

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Old City, Chiang Mai

Last Result:

Download Speed: 7062 kbps (882.8 KB/sec; 6.90Mbps)

Upload Speed: 2240 kbps (280.0 KB/sec; 2.19Mbps)

Latency: 182 ms

19 February 2012 13:44

Test against: Bangkok; Location: Sukhothai Historical Park, Sukhothai

Last Result:

Download Speed: 3459 kbps (432.4 KB/sec; 3.38Mbps)

Upload Speed: 118 kbps (14.8 KB/sec; 0.12Mbps)

Latency: 199 ms

01 March 2012 13:37

Test against: Phnom Penh; Location: Lamai, Ko Samui

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6555 kbps (819.4 KB/sec; 6.40Mbps)

Upload Speed: 2496 kbps (280.5 KB/sec; 2.44Mbps)

Latency: 178 ms

26 April, 2012 15:09:58

Edited by jamesbrock
  • Like 1

Nah, just a nerd wanting to make sure I'm getting good service. It doesn't take much to whip out the phone and do a speed test! :)

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with TrueMove H so far.

I kinda do the same thing in watching TrueOnline with my 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS/cable internet plan...I do a quick speedtest almost daily to enure the download/upload speed is working properly. Only one time in 10 months of having the service that I noticed the 2Mb upload speed was only pushing about 1.3Mb...called True...within a day or so and after they swapped-out the cable modem the upload speed was back 2Mb. Never had a problem with the 20Mb download speed. This TrueOnline cable internet plan has been like 99.99% reliable, rain, shine, or flood...even when I had 0.5 to 1.5 meter flood waters in my moobaan for around a month late last year the True cable internet and cable TV services never went down.

I kinda do the same thing in watching TrueOnline with my 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS/cable internet plan...I do a quick speedtest almost daily to enure the download/upload speed is working properly. Only one time in 10 months of having the service that I noticed the 2Mb upload speed was only pushing about 1.3Mb...called True...within a day or so and after they swapped-out the cable modem the upload speed was back 2Mb. Never had a problem with the 20Mb download speed. This TrueOnline cable internet plan has been like 99.99% reliable, rain, shine, or flood...even when I had 0.5 to 1.5 meter flood waters in my moobaan for around a month late last year the True cable internet and cable TV services never went down.

That's good to hear too, thanks! I'll be relocating to CM in a few weeks, and will be looking for an internet plan... Not quite necessary to start researching yet, but good to know nonetheless.

.............Very generally speaking, and based on purely anecdotal information, TrueMove H(/CAT My) have the most national coverage, and the fewest customers , and the best performance in all but the most dense areas of Bangkok

Sorry on this one.......

If you can access Speedtest.net data, you will see TrueMoveH tests are 3x more than DTAC, and 5x more than AIS.

I think it is a public secret that True are caching speedtest results,at least they do that with their adsl connections.Best evidence is when you do a speedtest to the US you will get ping results that are not possible in the real world.

Sorry on this one.......

I think it is a public secret that True are caching speedtest results,at least they do that with their adsl connections.Best evidence is when you do a speedtest to the US you will get ping results that are not possible in the real world.

Lol, even google Caches, they have a big caching hub in singapore or malaysia (somewhere down there). With the cost of international trunking courtesy of CAT el-al, the cost of internet services would be horrendous without caching. a few years back, a link from thailand to USA was 5x more expensive than the same link from India or Philippines to USA.

I guess the market wants 20mb speeds, uncached, and all for the price of 100 baht per month.... dream on

p.s. whats that got to do with this price of chips in china ? the above comment is related to subscribers....... i think AIS made a claim they have already 1 million 3G subs, and are the "leader".......... we know its crap, and independant sources such as speedtest.net concur.

Been using AIS-True and DTAC sims with aircard and although OK within CM out here in MaeOn Dtac seems to be best ...using it now and although sloooow at least it works others not so good.

Just had a new road metaled so only a matter of time before we might get a landline...progress .....

Sorry on this one.......

Lol, even google Caches, they have a big caching hub in singapore or malaysia (somewhere down there). With the cost of international trunking courtesy of CAT el-al, the cost of internet services would be horrendous without caching. a few years back, a link from thailand to USA was 5x more expensive than the same link from India or Philippines to USA.

I guess the market wants 20mb speeds, uncached, and all for the price of 100 baht per month.... dream on

p.s. whats that got to do with this price of chips in china ? the above comment is related to subscribers....... i think AIS made a claim they have already 1 million 3G subs, and are the "leader".......... we know its crap, and independant sources such as speedtest.net concur.

My point was that if you do a test with speedtest.net through a True adsl connection you get a fake result.Or how do you explain a ping from Bangkok to New York under 200 Msec.

My point was that if you do a test with speedtest.net through a True adsl connection you get a fake result.Or how do you explain a ping from Bangkok to New York under 200 Msec.

Errrrrrrrrr......... correct me if i am wrong.........

but.......... speedtest said "searching for nearest server"........... it will select a local server........ one of my last ones, i got a ping of 32ms, and it was in Truemove H 3G+ to a DTAC server (obviously DTAC is now sponsoring Speedtest). so is DTAC faking true's ping for the better??....thats a change ! they usually slag each other off :)

is using that ping.net........ my ping to the US is 354 ms just now.

there are tons of guys more expert on this, but i think you need to know what your ping-ing.

Edited by skippybangkok