Where Do Complain About Corrupt Police?

kriswillems

Yesterday, on sukhumwit between leamchabang and ao udom, I was stopped by police officers (that had a Bordeaux/yellow colored car). They said I drove too fast and that I used the right lane too long. At the moment they stopped me I was driving 60 kms/hour where 120 is allowed, and I used the right lane only to pass a truck (that was slowly going uphill) and immediately returned to the left lane . They had no equipment to check my speed nor did they follow me, they were just parked beside the road.

I said that I didn't do anything wrong. They immediately asked for money for a coffee. I paid 100 baht. They virtually stopped every car they could stop, so I guess they were making about 12000B corruption money per hour (120 cars per hour).

So, I thought I would try to complain about and I called 191, which is the general number of the Thai police. They told me to call to number 1111 which is a service from Thai government where you can complain, .1111 told me to call a number in BKK and the person on this line told me to call to another number in BKK. The last one told me to call to 1111, was clearly not interested in my story and said the boss was not there.

I am very disappointed in the 1111 government service, I think it's useless to try to fight corruption, if you're not planning not the follow up any complaint.

Looks like the Thai police is untouchable.

Is the any other number where you can complain about corruption of Thai police officers?

The dark red/yellow colored police car, is that local police? Or highway police?

Edited by kriswillems

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I paid 100 baht"

How much have your numerous phone calls cost you to date ?

Further...you are complaining about corruption and you bribed a BiB with THB 100...a little rich dont you think, actively being involved in a corrupt act and then complaining about it and trying to report them....pot kettles black and all that....blink.png

You should have asked the BiB for the offical fine/paperwork and gone the cop shop to pay the offical fine, if the BiB are trying to scam you typically they will back off when you ask for the paper fine...

By all means file a formal complaint , but you do now they could also charge you for bribing a police officer as well.....whistling.gif

• Like 1

I can't believe you think such a normal trifle is worth your time even posting here, much less getting your blood pressure up.

This is the way things work here, making a fuss about it as a barely-tolerated guest will only get you real trouble, believe me they can do whatever they like if you make enough enemies with real power.

Check out Singapore, I hear they care a lot more about rule of law of there.

• Like 1

A friend offers his visa card explaining he carries no money on him ,they get frustated with him and tell him to go .

Also what happenened to the new online electronic ticket machines that the police force has bought.

• Like 1

Since the money goes up the foodchain not woth it, also heads of goverment are ususally corrupt as time has shown live with it. Think of it as a cumminity charge. We dont have to pay for policing directly so indirectly is the way its done.

Police get about 8k per month salary, out of that they have to pay for

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

and every thing else, what else they going to do.

Since the money goes up the foodchain not woth it, also heads of goverment are ususally corrupt as time has shown live with it. Think of it as a cumminity charge. We dont have to pay for policing directly so indirectly is the way its done.

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

where i live ,the average house in the soi is around 5 million but a few years ago they were 3 million

my neighbours on the left side got divorced ( a farang and a thai lady) and the house had to be sold

a police man ended up buying the house ,when it was time to pay he arrived with 2 plastic shopping bags

he handed a bag to him and a bag to her

1and a half million for you ,and 1 and a half million for you

pretty amazing on a salary of 8000 per month ,eh ?smile.png

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

where i live ,the average house in the soi is around 5 million but a few years ago they were 3 million

my neighbours on the left side got divorced ( a farang and a thai lady) and the house had to be sold

a police man ended up buying the house ,when it was time to pay he arrived with 2 plastic shopping bags

They just know how to budget their money.whistling.gif

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

8K per month some are being paid too much for the work they don't do.

'So, I thought I would try to complain about and I called 191, which is the general number of the Thai police. They told me to call to number 1111 which is a service from Thai government where you can complain, .1111 told me to call a number in BKK and the person on this line told me to call to another number in BKK. The last one told me to call to 1111, was clearly not interested in my story and said the boss was not there.'

What else did you expect? It is quite clear that the Thai authorities are only paying lip-service to cleaning things up. It makes them look good, but there is no real will to do it. To clear up corruption in this country you'd need to start right at the very, very top, and work your way down to the very, very bottom.

The only real two places you can complain here, and actually be heard, are on this very forum, and down the pub (if anyone can be arsed to listen to a moaner).

I remember reading a report from Pattaya about 10 years ago. Somebody was stopped and made to pay an undeserved fine. This person went to the tourist police and complained that he had been 'mugged' by a policeman. Conclusion of the story was that he had the money returned by the Chief of police.....but was still upset because he did not get an apology.

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

Wow, he must have an excellent financial advisor.

It might be worth getting in touch with him. Know of his contact number? ermm.gif

I too got stopped a few weeks ago under very similar circumstances. I was told that an officer with a speed camera further back radioed ahead and told them I was driving too fast, but couldn't tell me how fast I'd been driving so I suspected they were just trying it on. When I asked them the speed limit on that road one police officer said 120kmh, another separately told me 90kmh.

I asked them how can they pull me over for speeding when I was doing less than 90kmh, they couldn't tell me how fast I was going and they gave me different speed limits.

In the end they suggested that they had pulled me over as they thought I was driving too fast and wanted to remind me to drive safely (a little face saving), the police officer then suggested I can pay a fine officially... or....(then after a brief hesitation).... Ok, you can go, but be safe !!!...

In short they were pulling over cars with BKK plates as they know we can't pick our licence up the following day (when that far out of town, near Chantaburi).

Sometimes a little stubbornness goes a long way for them to give up the game. It would be very difficult to make a complaint about what is generally accepted as the social norm here in Thailand. I personally wouldn't bother with a complaint.

Edited by richard_smith237

A friend offers his visa card explaining he carries no money on him ,they get frustated with him and tell him to go .

Also what happenened to the new online electronic ticket machines that the police force has bought.

Tried that once, cop took me to an ATMsad.png

• Like 1

I remember reading a report from Pattaya about 10 years ago. Somebody was stopped and made to pay an undeserved fine. This person went to the tourist police and complained that he had been 'mugged' by a policeman. Conclusion of the story was that he had the money returned by the Chief of police.....but was still upset because he did not get an apology.

And of course the Chief was able to just open his desk drawer full of bills and pull one out, no paperwork necessary. 8-)

Actually the whole story was probably a PR exercise for the TP from beginning to end!

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

Maybe his parents taught him at an early age how to save for his future.

• Like 1

Tried that once, cop took me to an ATMsad.png

He did this for free? Nice chap didn't charge you expenses.

"I used the right lane too long"

Really, anybody in this *&%^^()% country knows that right lane is ONLY to pass cars ?

Hate all the Somchai with their pickup who drive all the way from Bkk to Pattaya on the right lane. If I had balls I would shoot them :-)

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

Wow, he must have an excellent financial advisor.

It might be worth getting in touch with him. Know of his contact number? ermm.gif

he still lives next door,i could ask him ,but i value my life more than to question a thai policeman

about how he can afford such expensive things on a policemans salary .........rolleyes.gif

uniform

radio;s

guns

handcuffs

bullets

badge holders

flash lighte etc etc etc

He just got off shift from "sukhumwit between leamchabang and ao udom".....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Complaint Centre - Royal Thai Police

Patumwan, Bangkok

Email [email protected]

P.O. Box 1234, Rong Muang, Bangkok, 10000

Tel 0-2251-2891 / Hot line 1194

And before he contacts anyone at that address, I suggest that our kriswillems makes sure that his life insurance policy is in order, creates an up to date will for his next of kin, or contacts a good Thai lawyer as pictured below.

All I can say is, that he`s a brave man. Good luck and to all who sail in her.

post-110219-0-06121100-1335957609_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Where i live the houses range from 5 to 15 million ,my next door neighbour is a policeman ,kids in private school 2 cars and 2 m/cycles in the drive. go figurewhistling.gif

here you can't call it house anymore....huge nice building, 2 or 3 Mercedes. He was once transfered to Naratiwat but is back already....