50 Thai Provinces Declared Drought Disaster Zones

webfact

50 Provinces Declared Drought Disaster Zones

BANGKOK: -- The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has now declared 50 provinces as drought disaster zones.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has now designated 50 provinces as drought disaster zones, with 17 in the North consisting of Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Sukhothai, Nan, Phayao, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Uttaradit, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Phetchabun, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Phichit and Mae Hong Son.

Meanwhile, 19 northeastern provinces have also been placed on the drought watch list, namely Loei, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Sisaket, Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham, Buriram, Udon Thani, Amnat Charoen, Kalasin, Yasothon, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Phanom, Surin, Mukdahan, Bueng Kan and Sakon Nakhon, while seven drought-stricken central provinces include Phetchaburi, Suphanburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Chainat and Nakhon Nayok.

The eastern provinces declared drought disaster zones include Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Trat, Prachinburi and Sa Kaeo, with Phuket as the only southern province on the list.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-03

footer_n.gif

I would love to know how they have managed mis-managed this. The country can go through a flood scenario less than 4 months ago which brought the country to its knees, affecting global markets in some fields, and now 50 out of the 77 provinces are drought disaster zones.

Too much thought going into how to get rid of the stuff instead of thinking how to utilise it for the situations we are now hearing.

Words fail me. First the poor farmers are wiped out by a flood, and a few months later they are in a drought ??? This is either flood management that Bozo the clown could exceed, or part of some deliberate master plan to punish the Thai people. I cannot even begin to figure this one out.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Words fail me. First the poor farmers are wiped out by a flood, and a few months later they are in a drought ??? This is either flood management that Bozo the clown could exceed, or part of some deliberate master plan to punish the Thai people. I cannot even begin to figure this one out.....

PTP+ bad + carma

I know it spoils the fun but what is the definition of a drought disaster zone?

13 posts on this so far and nothing of any worth.

Burberry and boats.

Is the problem too much retention of water in the dams or the fact that there has been so little rainfall?

Burberry and boats.

Is the problem too much retention of water in the dams or the fact that there has been so little rainfall?

Our/your "guess"is as good as The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department guess,i would think!!

Burberry and boats.

Our/your "guess"is as good as The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department guess,i would think!!

Yes it's a guess - I don't know any more than you do. So where are last year's water management experts?

Flippancy is virtually all that has been posted. Maybe this thread should be moved to the Pub Forum

Burberry and boats.

I live in Khampaeng Phet province and it has only rained here for about 10 days since the start of the year.

Our government water supply comes from Klong Klung and the Mae Wong national park.

Actually it used to but with the lack of rain it has been more than 2 weeks since any water came from the pipes.

Also the current government ordered the dams to lower their water levels to around 30 or 40% just in case of flooding.

I am guessing here that the people in charge of flood " management" went too far in the opposite direction. Last year prior to rainy season, the dams were at too high of a level. Therefore flooding occurred because the excessive rain water could not be stored. Since Yingluck promised the Japanese investors that it would never flood in Thailand again, I suspect that a lot of water has been released over the last few months after the flooding, to insure that flooding would not occur again. Therefor the dam levels are too low now. Clearly deciding the dam levels is an inexact science...rolleyes.gif

Burberry and boats.

Yes it's a guess - I don't know any more than you do. So where are last year's water management experts?

Flippancy is virtually all that has been posted. Maybe this thread should be moved to the Pub Forum

Might i recommend a stick removal service?