Work Permit, Syphilis Test.

Being an honest, sincere and utterly faithful guy, I explained to my fun-loving girlfriend that I needed a syphilis test for my work permit....admittedly using basic Thai and graphical gestures. At first she was confused then angry and finally oddly silent.

Then the next day I was incessently subjected to the question "Wor permii mii mai?'.

The issue of the work permit has now become such an headache......am very confused.

:P

Normally when you go to the hospital, they should know what tests should be taken.

I did a full body check with syphilis test, HIV test, Blood test, Urine test, X-ray and other things.

My WP is issued without problems.

Normally you need the tests conducted at the hospital and not clinic, but as I know, there are some places that you actually can buy those certificates for acquiring your WP.

I don't know where but if you scroll through the forum I'm sure you'll find more information about this.

Cheers and good luck

If you go to a big hospital or the police hospital they will do all the tests as specified. But in most small clinics they'll give you the documents you need for 100B or 200B and they will not do any test besides testing your blood-pressure and weight. If the doctor has a registration number, you'll be ok, and there's no need to go to an expensive hospital. At least, it was like this 3 years ago.

Make sure your doctor writes all the items/checks as specified by the labor department on his/her letter (some items are about very rare diseases like elephantiasis). I prepared the letter myself based on information from the labor department and a model I could find on the internet and let the doctor sign it. Requirements may change from time to time so be sure you've the latest information.

Edit: I saw the requirement changed, so the information I gave above might not be correct anymore, look at this thread : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/477081-new-work-permit-requirements-from-the-labor-department/

Edited by kriswillems

At some point in the last two years the immigration dept added a line to standard medical certificate requiring the doctor signing to certify the person does not have stage 3 syphilis. As in some stage 3 cases the symptoms can be hidden, the only way to be sure that is true is to do a blood test. Some small clinics will still sign off without the blood test, but any hospital or big clinic will require the blood test to sign off.

The hospitals and clinics love this requirement as it turned what was once a simple visual exam with maybe a blood pressure test costing at most 200 baht into a major effort costing over a 1,000.

TH

The hospitals and clinics love this requirement as it turned what was once a simple visual exam with maybe a blood pressure test costing at most 200 baht into a major effort costing over a 1,000.

For my last WP renewal I tried the standard clinic, 'you're breathing, ok' certificate but was refused by Labor. Was half expecting it anyway based on reports here. Went to Chiang Mai Ram to get a proper certificate with blood test and it was only 200 Baht. This hospital is considered by some as the most expensive private hospital in Chiang Mai. I guess if you go to Bumrungrad it might reach 1000 Baht. wink.png

For my last WP renewal I tried the standard clinic, 'you're breathing, ok' certificate but was refused by Labor. Was half expecting it anyway based on reports here. Went to Chiang Mai Ram to get a proper certificate with blood test and it was only 200 Baht. This hospital is considered by some as the most expensive private hospital in Chiang Mai. I guess if you go to Bumrungrad it might reach 1000 Baht. wink.png

My last renewal in Oct last year I went to small clinic with the immigration approved form with the stage 3 syphilis line on it. The doctor looked at me and asked if Ihad syphillis and then laughed. He completed and signed the form, puting his stamp on it. The one-stop center accepted it with no quesitons.

Other people are being taken to Bangkok-Pattaya hospital and are being given full blown psychical exams with blood tests, chest e-rays and such. The charge is usually around 2,000 baht. I suspect our HR rep and someone at the hospital are in cahoots as our management team is new to Thailand and ignorant of the actual requirements and don’t believe me when I tell them it can be had for a couple of hundred baht even with the simple blood test.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Nobody knows, I have no evidence, but it could be that the check includes check for HIV and other stuff as well.

I have heard that HIV antibodies will show up on the Syphillis test. This could just be hearsay though.

I did need to get a blood test for the renewal of my work permit last month. First time I've had to do it but the whole cost was only 200Baht.

I went through this last week for my new work permit, I went to a hospital here in Chiang Mai and had the VDRL blood test for Syphillis. Total cost 200 baht. They will not test for anything else because it would cost more. There is a possibility of a false positive from this test but only in certain people, if you do test positive they will then do a more specific Syphillis test.

From what I understand this test is only required for new work permits not renewals.

From what I understand this test is only required for new work permits not renewals.

Actually, they required it for my renewal a few months ago and this is probably my 20th renewal and the first time required.

The syphilis test is required for all WP renewals. This is Thailand and how it is applied will vary. I have never had to have a medical exam since my first WP some 15 years ago. This year I did, as did a lot of people I know.

The syphilis test is specific for syphilis. I do know of an HIV positive person who was quite scared and his test came back negative for syphilis.

I have wondered why this test is now required. Is there a big problem with syphilis in Thailand?

Incidentally, my exam was done at a large hospital. The cost was 300 baht and included some medication I needed that is no longer available over-the-counter.

The syphilis test is required for all WP renewals. This is Thailand and how it is applied will vary. I have never had to have a medical exam since my first WP some 15 years ago. This year I did, as did a lot of people I know.

The syphilis test is specific for syphilis. I do know of an HIV positive person who was quite scared and his test came back negative for syphilis.

I have wondered why this test is now required. Is there a big problem with syphilis in Thailand?

Incidentally, my exam was done at a large hospital. The cost was 300 baht and included some medication I needed that is no longer available over-the-counter.

The WHO has formulated a program to eliminate Congenital Syphilis for member countries to consider implementing.

Syphilis seems to have a relatively low incidence rate in Thailand, here is a link to the reference page of a 2009 study done in Thailand with links to the academic paper produced: http://whothailand.h.../123456789/1118

Congenital Syphilis can be prevented by effective screening and treatment of those affected during pregnancy.

However people with Teriary Syphilis (now specifically examined for with Health Checks for WPs) are not infectious, so this will not help eliminate Congenital Syphilis.

Late neurosyphilis and cardiovascular syphilis which together affect around 16.5% of those diagnosed with Tertiary Syphilis could well affect someone's ability to work effectively.

There are so many more condiitions not screened for that could affect a person's ability to work effectively, that one cannot but conclude this extra check to be anything other than a TIT random from some DOE official trying to justify their continued employment.

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 6 months later...
Can anyone say WHY they have decided to include a test for tertiary syphilis?

It seems to be a relatively rare disease so why was it singled out?

They want to make sure we all have it as part of the Miracle Thailand promotion bonus. :(

Because it is one of the rising STD's.

Or with other words:

Syphilis is back!

I just did mine today. 300B with blood test and nothing else. Doc said it was a silly requirement as "Syphilis is not a disease of this era, but it was increasing in some countries, but not Thailand". We'll see if it's accepted from a clinic. I think there was a article recently saying the checks in Phuket had to be done in the new government hospital in town now.

Or with other words:

Syphilis is back!

90% drop over 10 years in the US.

Read the post above yours.

I did - it doesn't explain WHY.

as far as I can see there is no scientific merit but there may be some other more xenophobic reasons.

"THese diseases come from foragers" - are foreigners working in ?Thailand a significant threat with regards to tertiary syphilis?

..........why not test the Thai population?

Edited by cowslip

What puzzles me most is that my wife had to take this test to work with 2-3 year olds. I was under the distinct impression that syphilis is sexually transmitted...so how does that affect working with 2-3 year olds? Is it thought that having "relations" with this age group is OK as long as you DON'T give them a nasty infection?

• Like 1

Or with other words:

Syphilis is back!

90% drop over 10 years in the US.

Check your source, please.

And take in account, that syphilis can be cured, in the first 2 stages!

http://www.avert.org...ics-america.htm

Edited by noob7

Several nonsense posts removed. Although reason is open to question the fact is other countries are experiencing an increase and it is highly contagious in early stages, which is what the new check is for, and it is treatable so probably a good thing all around.

Several nonsense posts removed. Although reason is open to question the fact is other countries are experiencing an increase and it is highly contagious in early stages, which is what the new check is for, and it is treatable so probably a good thing all around.

I think you should state your sources - don't you?

I think you should state your sources - don't you?

The requirement syphilis testing was introduced because of the high incidence of infection in the migrant labour force from neighbouring countries, primarily Cambodia & Myanmar both of which have experienced a big increase in transmission, so Lopburi is right.

If you don't want to believe it, that's fine. You can look up your own sources.