Visa For Babies Born Outside Of Thailand

Our daughter was born in cyprus. She got there a german passport.

We moved to zThailand when she was one. Entered with german passport, no visa, no retun ticket, Emirates.

Then my wife (Not legally maried) went to foreign ministry in Chaeng Wattana with our Cypriot Birth certificate and got a Thai Birth Certificate. Thos took some 6 weeks, as Document was obtained from embassey abroad.

I suggest you and the father do the same. No more visa troubles.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Please note that the OP has already tried, unsucessfully, to do the same, ie have her children travel to Bangkok without a visa and without onward tickets. Unfortunately, your past experience with Emirates from Cyprus to Bangkok did not prevent the same Emirates from refusing her children boarding passes under those circumstances, in accordance with IATA guidelines. Your post confirmed, however, what has already been said: not all airline staff exercise at all time the right to refuse boarding in situations where they would have that right.

Very simple, just been through this with my child born in NZ to thai wife.

You need the NZ birth certificate and ID of Mother and father, plus the Thai fathers ID number/papers and his thai birth cert and house papers then apply at the thai embassy for the babies thai birth certificate (not sure if you can do this outside of thailand but you may be able to through the bankok embassy) we did it here and all done in 2 weeks.Then once you have the thai birth certificate you apply for thai passport , done! but you will also need 2 passport photos of each baby also when you apply for birth certificate.

If you dont need to pay overstayer fine then dont worry do papers next time your back in NZ.

If you have all the paper work with you in thailand try the thai embassy or do it all next time you return to NZ.

Thailand recognises dual citizen so you can hold two passports for the child.

How do you get around the Thai father not being married to the mother?

Thailand considers the child to have no father unless married or recognized at Amphur when age 7+ (or court order)

I am not maried to my thai partner defacto many years, we went to the thai embassy here in NZ. (you will need to go through wellington branch) they say it can be done online but difficult to navigate the site.

They asked for: NZ Birth Certificate baby (which shows mother and fathers names) , My birth certificate, My passport, Hospital birth (discharge) papers of the baby, My partners Passport , Her ID Card, Her house registration, and her birth certificate, along with two passport photos of the baby, My partner filled in the forms they gave her which were in thai, I signed them as well, the embassy asked which name we wanted on the thai birth certificate, I said to avoid complications later in my sons life to use the mothers thai name and put my surname as his middle name .

they took the paperwork and they even rang me a week later and wanted a further copy of the birth certificate which i scanned and emailed to them (their copy was not clear enough they said)

So after that another week passed and the thai birth certificate arrived in the mail, so now my son is a Thai national and a Kiwi national as well.

Its a simple matter to do and I think you could get the forms from the thai embassy in Bangkok fill them in and send all the paper work to wellinton if needed, I would talk to bangkok embassy first or just wait till you go back to NZ, I did my papers in Auckland as it was songkran and the embassy officials were at the Mt Albert festival as they always are every year.

Easy .

Very simple, just been through this with my child born in NZ to thai wife.

You need the NZ birth certificate and ID of Mother and father, plus the Thai fathers ID number/papers and his thai birth cert and house papers then apply at the thai embassy for the babies thai birth certificate (not sure if you can do this outside of thailand but you may be able to through the bankok embassy) we did it here and all done in 2 weeks.Then once you have the thai birth certificate you apply for thai passport , done! but you will also need 2 passport photos of each baby also when you apply for birth certificate.

If you dont need to pay overstayer fine then dont worry do papers next time your back in NZ.

If you have all the paper work with you in thailand try the thai embassy or do it all next time you return to NZ.

Thailand recognises dual citizen so you can hold two passports for the child.

How do you get around the Thai father not being married to the mother?

Thailand considers the child to have no father unless married or recognized at Amphur when age 7+ (or court order)

I am not maried to my thai partner defacto many years, we went to the thai embassy here in NZ. (you will need to go through wellington branch) they say it can be done online but difficult to navigate the site.

They asked for: NZ Birth Certificate baby (which shows mother and fathers names) , My birth certificate, My passport, Hospital birth (discharge) papers of the baby, My partners Passport , Her ID Card, Her house registration, and her birth certificate, along with two passport photos of the baby, My partner filled in the forms they gave her which were in thai, I signed them as well, the embassy asked which name we wanted on the thai birth certificate, I said to avoid complications later in my sons life to use the mothers thai name and put my surname as his middle name .

they took the paperwork and they even rang me a week later and wanted a further copy of the birth certificate which i scanned and emailed to them (their copy was not clear enough they said)

So after that another week passed and the thai birth certificate arrived in the mail, so now my son is a Thai national and a Kiwi national as well.

Its a simple matter to do and I think you could get the forms from the thai embassy in Bangkok fill them in and send all the paper work to wellinton if needed, I would talk to bangkok embassy first or just wait till you go back to NZ, I did my papers in Auckland as it was songkran and the embassy officials were at the Mt Albert festival as they always are every year.

Easy .

as to the thai recognition quoted above, I think there is a time limit on registering a thai born outside thailand I heard it has to be done before the child is 12 yrs old, however it might be seven years old so if your child is new born you have plenty of time however I would do it asap the sooner the better Ive read its better to be done within the first six months, it is no hassle and after you obtain the thai certificate you can apply for a thai passport.

I will have 2 passports ,NZ and Thai for my son.

Sorry, wasn't asking about cases with Thai mother, non-Thai father as easy to get. Problem only when non-Thai mother not married to Thai father as Thailand only recognizes father if married.

Note: Thailand is not the West. Men and women are treated differently. Fatherhood is not assumed on word of woman, if not married.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

as to the thai recognition quoted above, I think there is a time limit on registering a thai born outside thailand I heard it has to be done before the child is 12 yrs old, however it might be seven years old so if your child is new born you have plenty of time however I would do it asap the sooner the better Ive read its better to be done within the first six months, it is no hassle and after you obtain the thai certificate you can apply for a thai passport.

I will have 2 passports ,NZ and Thai for my son.

There is no limitation. Many people register their birth with the Thai embassy way into their adulthood without any problems.

Thai law requires that a child born in Thailand is registered within 15 days at the local amphur, or you will be fined something like 500 baht.

• Like 1

Sorry, wasn't asking about cases with Thai mother, non-Thai father as easy to get. Problem only when non-Thai mother not married to Thai father as Thailand only recognizes father if married.

Note: Thailand is not the West. Men and women are treated differently. Fatherhood is not assumed on word of woman, if not married.

sorry dont know, and never heard of your problem did not think it mattered as long as the parents names are on the nz birth certificate and hospital discharge papers, you will have to clarify that with the thai embassy.

This is not specific to Thailand. As in most other countries, if not married the father must recognize the child to become the legal fahter. Each country has it's own procedure and normally only the word of the woman is not enough, otherwise one could just name for example the pope or Bill Gates as father and he would have to pay child support......

KiwiKeith

I didn't get my Thai birth certificate till I was 18

Might be 21 the cut off, not sure but I thing there is a cut off for residence.

No there is not. The Thai nationality law has no such provision and members have gotten their Thai birt certificate and passport well after being 21.

KiwiKeith

I didn't get my Thai birth certificate till I was 18

Might be 21 the cut off, not sure but I thing there is a cut off for residence.

as Mario said, there isn't.

The age of 20 is the age of majority in Thailand, but that is about it.

In terms of how the law works, a child born to a Thai citizen is automatically a Thai citizen. That happens as a matter of course, primarily as Thai citizenship is (in most cases) passed down by blood (the only exception being those born to two permanent residents in Thailand).

All the birth certificate then becomes is the first effective piece of 'paper' that proves this fact. Of course, house registrations, ID cards and passports all come off the back of the birth certificate.

Edited by samran

Thanks for all the replies .... just a quick update and for anyone else who finds themselves in this situation. The visa staff at my school said that they would take me to immigration last Tuesday to put my mind at rest that the babies did not need visas for Thailand. I decided not to go as, from all the information here, I was clear on my understanding of the situation so would have been a pointless trip. I'd decided I'd just have to try and find the time to get their Thai citizenship (perhaps not that difficult as someone said, but difficult to find the time to do when you have twin babies!). However, the visa staff still asked when they went to immigration on Tuesday and - lo and behold - I was right and they were wrong. My school should have provided me with the paper work to apply for their non-immigrant O visas while in New Zealand!

I got a phone call from the head of HR on Wednesday telling me that I had to take the babies to immigration on Thursday afternoon (and it could only be then, no flexibility with the time) so that they could get their visas. I didn't ask too many questions so all I know is that one of our visa ladies had to go and get some paper work at the New Zealand embassy and that it had to be translated into Thai (possibly also their birth certificates as I had to provide originals) then I had to go to immigration on Chaeng Wattana, show the babies to one of the immigration staff without having to wait in queue (thank goodness as there were 100s of people there) and then I left with the babies and my school's visa ladies waited with their passports and the paper work to get the visa. So now they are here legally and not as over stayers. No idea how they managed to wangle it as would have thought we'd have to leave the country to get the correct visa.