Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Congrats Steve smile.png

Looks like it our turn soon

Reference Number APET/191012

Application date 19 Oct 2012

Status Processed application returned to courier : 18 Jan 2013

Big question is why did we not get an Email or SMS?????

Edited by Kiggs

I fly to Bangkok Sunday then to Singapore,Myanmar on the 28th.

I have every confidence in Tony M and Thai Visa Express.

It will be there smile.png

UK trip will be in about 2 mths

12 working weeks to the day! Funny that. Who was it that said they dont think they were holding applications back.... MMMMMmmm i beg to differ

Edited by Kiggs
  • Like 1

Times have certainly changed..........Back in 1999 absolutely no investigation or checks were done on myself or wife. Marriage Certificate and registered via the Embassy was their only interest.

That I do know for a fact !!

Times have certainly changed..........Back in 1999 absolutely no investigation or checks were done on myself or wife. Marriage Certificate and registered via the Embassy was their only interest.

Unless there was a dramatic change to the rules and requirements in late 1999 or early 2000, I suspect that yur memory is playing tricks on you. Our experience in September 2000 was completely different to that you describe.

We had to supply proof of my finances, evidence of the accommodation available to us, evidence of our relationship etc.; pretty much the same as today, in fact.

Most applicants in any category and almost all settlement applicants were routinely interviewed then as well, which made the process take longer.

BTW, couples who marry abroad have never been able to register their marriages at or via a British embassy. The legal registration in the country where they married is the legal registration as far as the UK is concerned. In the case of Thailand this is the ampur registration and the Thai marriage certificate, together with a certified translation, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK where a marriage certificate is required; including visa and leave to remain applications.

What you can do is deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate with the GRO in the UK via the embassy. This is not a legal requirement and in no way adds any sort of 'validity' to the marriage. It simply means that you can obtain a copy from the GRO in the UK at some point in the future.

See Depositing marriage documents in the UK

Unless there was a dramatic change to the rules and requirements in late 1999 or early 2000, I suspect that yur memory is playing tricks on you. Our experience in September 2000 was completely different to that you describe.

We had to supply proof of my finances, evidence of the accommodation available to us, evidence of our relationship etc.; pretty much the same as today, in fact.

Most applicants in any category and almost all settlement applicants were routinely interviewed then as well, which made the process take longer.

BTW, couples who marry abroad have never been able to register their marriages at or via a British embassy. The legal registration in the country where they married is the legal registration as far as the UK is concerned. In the case of Thailand this is the ampur registration and the Thai marriage certificate, together with a certified translation, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK where a marriage certificate is required; including visa and leave to remain applications.

What you can do is deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate with the GRO in the UK via the embassy. This is not a legal requirement and in no way adds any sort of 'validity' to the marriage. It simply means that you can obtain a copy from the GRO in the UK at some point in the future.

See Depositing marriage documents in the UK

You have misunderstood and perhaps my mistake.....

I had previously applied for a Tourist Visa for at that point Wife to be. Declined. I refused to leave Embassy before someone spoke to me. They did eventually. I pushed to the point of asking what could I do to make the process acceptable.........."Get Married and I cant stop you".......

Duly did. Application submitted for Marriage Visa. Date given few weeks in advance at 0800 on a Friday morning. All documents relating to Finance etc etc were submitted at 0755 same day.

0800 she walked in and 0805 she walked out..............No checks whatsoever done and for that you'll have to accept my word......wink.png

The whole process was laughable. I suspect its not as lax now...........

Hello,

We applied on the 16th October for the settlement visa and are still waiting for a decision. I did e-mail them at VFS and they forwarded my inquiries to the British embassy. They got back to me on Monday, the 21st, saying a decision has been made and keep checking the tracking site. The tracking site still says " Your application has been forwarded to the British Embassy 16 Oct 2012" that seems they haven't updated the status since October!!

We also paid for the SMS service but have yet to receive any text messages!

Kate

Kate, did you also pay for docs to be returned to you? If not then it may mean your passport is already available for collection. People here seem to give it 2 working days after being told of a decision before collecting passports. If you're in BK then a trip to VFS to try and collect is probably worthwhile. (It seems like yours took more than the 60 working day service standard...)

Kiggs, did you collect yours okay?

Yeah, we've actually been waiting for over 14 weeks now!! That's why i had to chase it up, I'm also 7 months pregnant so we are on a tight time scale.

We finally got the e-mails and text through today saying that the processed application has been forwarded to the courier, as my husband is in Chiang Mai.

Not sure if we paid for the documents to be sent, i assume so. My husband doesn't remember details like that ;)

We're not getting our hopes up on the result anyway, it just means that we can get started on our appeal. As i was an ESL teacher i wasn't earning enough to meet the financial requirements and now as i am pregnant i can't find work and sponsor my husband! We were left with no choce but to apply and then appeal on human rights grounds with the help of lawyers!

It's going to be a tense few days!

Congratulations on those that had their visa's granted :)

Kate

Unfortunately whether or not the ECOs have hearts is irrelevant.

The government has laid down the rules and the ECOs have no choice other than to follow those rules.

For those who wish to do so, you have until 31st January to make your views known to the Parliamentary review.

See here.

Kate,

Your story is one for the newspapers, it really is. The divisiveness of the new rules should highlighted. 7x7 is right that the ECOs have no discretion to grant a visa if you don't meet the requirements, and stories like yours need to be made known to a wider audience.

• Like 1