Police Stopping Motorcyclists

Asiantravel

it would be nice to understand all the aspects of the law regarding motorcyclists

and today I noticed on Beach Road there were four policeman pulling over motorcyclists

even though they were wearing helmets.What else are they checking for?

I also noticed a foreigner riding one of those four-wheel motorcycles and even though he was also

wearing a helmet they pulled him over and gave him a hard time for some reason?

Edited by Asiantravel

The police have lots of valid reasons to conduct spot-checks on those pesky motocycle drivers/riders. The ones I can think of off the top of my head include: (1) Licence and current registration, (2) Mandatory insurance, (3) Helmets [as you mentioned], (4) Front light turned on, (5) Drunk-Yaba driving, (6) Excessive riders, (7) Telephone use while driving. I'm sure I could think of a few more if I wanted too.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point :)

• Like 1

yes the car never gets stopped.only on sukmvit rarely on on way outside of pattaya

police stopping motorcycle shocker :) i two cars but love bike

when there is only one police at railway and he tries to stop me i always drive past and wave at him

he spoilsport never wave back never try to follow me

where is the fun in that

The police have lots of valid reasons to conduct spot-checks on those pesky motocycle drivers/riders. The ones I can think of off the top of my head include: (1) Licence and current registration, (2) Mandatory insurance, (3) Helmets [as you mentioned], (4) Front light turned on, (5) Drunk-Yaba driving, (6) Excessive riders, (7) Telephone use while driving. I'm sure I could think of a few more if I wanted too.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point :)

Doesn't always work that way. I use my bike 90% of the time and have only been stopped twice in 11 years. In the car, on the other hand I have been pulled over 7 or 8 times despite rarely using it and obeying speed limits.

Foreigners are just not taking the easy solution of checking the rules and rental companies do not care whether the renters have a valid International Drivers Permit specific for a bike or a Thai licence specific to a bike. A straight licence from any home country is just not valid. Also with so many stolen bikes, they are checking Thais and others for valid ownership and insurance papers as stated above.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point smile.png

Doesn't always work that way. I use my bike 90% of the time and have only been stopped twice in 11 years. In the car, on the other hand I have been pulled over 7 or 8 times despite rarely using it and obeying speed limits.

You are an exception. They never stop cars.

I got stung for 500 Baht riding to Nong Nooch a few years ago, the reason given... ''you drive in wrong lane''. Joker must have expected me to ride in the outside lane.

To add insult to injury (or indeed injury to insult) my missus burned her leg on the exhaust, <deleted>!

Edited by crudy21

And if they want to be real dicks and can't find anything to ticket you for, they will point to something stock on your bike and say it's modified, which is illegal, which earns you a ticket even though it's not modified. That doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

In Bangkok at one intersection the "offense" is "riding with the visor of your helmet up". It's not, and the nice English speaking people at the Traffic Police Office on 1197 are more than happy to refamiliarize any officer who has become "confused" over the matter.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point smile.png

"Easy solution"? Not if you're living on the bright side. I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting in traffic jams all day long and stressing out trying to find places to park. A car can turn a 10 minute ride into a 30 or 40 minute nightmare on Beach Road, 2nd Road, 3r Road, Klang, Nua and Tai.... no thank you.

BTW, I seldom get pulled over and it's only very occasionally when they're doing rego/insurance checks. Maybe once or twice a year at the very most and I'm putting in about 6000km a year primarily in the tourist zone. I think I've now gone way over a year since I was last pulled over. It's not a problem in need of a solution. If you've got your licence, rego and insurance handy you're off in a couple of minutes.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Rubbish, they stop nearly all cars on the bypass road between Chaiyapruek2 and the Huay Yai road on a daily basis, quick liscence check and you are on your way though....usually.

And if they want to be real dicks and can't find anything to ticket you for, they will point to something stock on your bike and say it's modified, which is illegal, which earns you a ticket even though it's not modified. That doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Wow! Just like in the U.S.! Well, except in the U.S. it hapens a lot.

Edited by TongueThaied

They stop the motorcycles because they are easy pickings, not because they are concerned about "safety" or vehicular law compliance...... Not many hi so persons here ride motorcycles, so they go after those who are the most likely to be intimidated into contributing to the widows and orphans fund

If their pay offs were dependent upon the offense they could make a lot more money collecting from cars, trucks and buses that make a mockery of the driving laws in this country

If you have a helmet, a licence and the paperwork for the bike - then there is not a problem. I always have my passport as well. Never been fined. Never had a problem. I am poilte,smile and say Sahwadhee Krap.

Farrangbuddha - the lights switch on automatically on my Honda Click. Unless I cut a wires - they do not switch off.

In many European countries, Sweden for example you must have your lights on at all times.

When driving a car, I expect to be stopped as much I have been on my Motor bike. They see a white face behind the wheel and the Baht sign lights up in their heads. But again paperwork in order and no problems.

Try driving from Pattaya to Korat via Wang nam Keaow and see if you can get there without being pulled over........

If you have a helmet, a licence and the paperwork for the bike - then there is not a problem. I always have my passport as well. Never been fined. Never had a problem. I am poilte,smile and say Sahwadhee Krap.

Farrangbuddha - the lights switch on automatically on my Honda Click. Unless I cut a wires - they do not switch off.

In many European countries, Sweden for example you must have your lights on at all times.

When driving a car, I expect to be stopped as much I have been on my Motor bike. They see a white face behind the wheel and the Baht sign lights up in their heads. But again paperwork in order and no problems.

Try driving from Pattaya to Korat via Wang nam Keaow and see if you can get there without being pulled over........

Do you have a halo above your head too?

I got pulled for having a headlight on my bike that was " too bright w00t.gif and not the right color" .....

it had a slight blue tint instead of the usuall yellow.

Last week I got stoped and ticketed 500 baht for no licence ( didn't have a bike licence then do now though )

couple of days ago was pulled for driving against the traffic flow on the dirt to the left of the hard shoulder and was sternly told how dangerous it is etc rolleyes.gif

my lottery numbers haven't come up laugh.png

car is great for rainy season and for shopping.Also car is better for drive then being hot on motorbike.

Bike also has positives.not being stuck in traffic easier to find parking more fun

i like both

There is nothing worse than your bike out in the hot sun for hours, then sitting down and cooking your egg's on the ride home. smile.png

car is great for rainy season and for shopping.Also car is better for drive then being hot on motorbike.

Bike also has positives.not being stuck in traffic easier to find parking more fun

i like both

There is nothing worse than your bike out in the hot sun for hours, then sitting down and cooking your egg's on the ride home. smile.png

or hitting you leg off thw wtachyoucall it ? and get burn on leg

i see the reason for not owning a car if you live in town jomtien or pratumnak not really need but i need

east side ..oh can i say today i justs see a police voluteer chasing after a boy on bike at high spedding shuting at him to stop a police truck soon followed

the boy showed no sign of stopping and had some fantastic driving skills

but i hope no one injured

Done return trips to Khon Keon from Pattaya a couple times...again, no problems...and that's a longer distance than to Korat :)

I am also an exception as I have been stopped a few times - albeit not in Pattaya - while driving the car. They check the tax disc, insurance and driving licence and send me on my way.

There are often roadblocks when driving around in Thailand and you do have to stop.

So you just confirm that they hardly stop cars at Pattaya and only do it on Sukhumvit SOMETIMES.

Of course you can be stopped many tiime sif you always drive where theyr check carrs !!!

Why people keep talking when it's clear that they are wrong ?

It depends very much when and where the road checks are.

Very early morning road checks do indeed stop cars at 3 major Pattaya intersections at weekends but usually randomly or if the officers feel a particular car or its occupants warrant a further look. These are normally weapons and drugs related searches for cars and if bikes are stopped it could be for papers and physical rider checks.

Day time checks would be too disruptive for car checks and logistically motorbike checks are easier and thus more common.

Do the Pattaya - Udon Thani trip on a regular basis, 1200klms return. I very rarely get stopped & it is show licence & on your way when it happens. That is except for about 18 months ago, I got stopped 13 times on the 2 legs, unbelievable.

I have found how to beat the BIB, when they talk to you, just grunt at them as if you don't understand, that workevery time, no fines paid.

One BIB who spoke English said I was speeding, I asked how he knew, "we have camera".

When I asked to see the photo he said he would give me 1 more chance & on your way.....very funny as they didn't have a camera, he had a pad with about 25 different speeds written on it & just picked one out.

Got home safely with wallet intact, if you disregard the GF attacking it with the family.....555

Cheers all

Do the Pattaya - Udon Thani trip on a regular basis, 1200klms return. I very rarely get stopped & it is show licence & on your way when it happens. That is except for about 18 months ago, I got stopped 13 times on the 2 legs, unbelievable.

I have found how to beat the BIB, when they talk to you, just grunt at them as if you don't understand, that workevery time, no fines paid.

One BIB who spoke English said I was speeding, I asked how he knew, "we have camera".

When I asked to see the photo he said he would give me 1 more chance & on your way.....very funny as they didn't have a camera, he had a pad with about 25 different speeds written on it & just picked one out.

Got home safely with wallet intact, if you disregard the GF attacking it with the family.....555

Cheers all

That's a fair way - what bike do you use ?

5555 true :)