Thailand Needs Cricket

If I can get the attention of our medicine man, Harry, I would like to ask him if he could attend the "Department of Health and Safety" symposium, mentioned by richardjm65 in post #1343.

Harry, with your knowledge of all things medical, to do with cricket, I am sure that they would be very interested in your views.

Just to mention some topics that you may raise:- under arm, over arm, leg before, leg behind? and sun burn, to mention a few. Oh! don't forget the knees and haemorrhoids.sick.gif

So, if you can find the time to attend, I am sure that our team would benefit greatly.thumbsup.gif

Should I be using over-arm deoderant when playing cricket?

In Thailand, are we allowed to bowl underhand backhanders?

SC

TV Cricket - Listen to your knees - the knees know best

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I can get the attention of our medicine man, Harry, I would like to ask him if he could attend the "Department of Health and Safety" symposium, mentioned by richardjm65 in post #1343.

Harry, with your knowledge of all things medical, to do with cricket, I am sure that they would be very interested in your views.

Just to mention some topics that you may raise:- under arm, over arm, leg before, leg behind? and sun burn, to mention a few. Oh! don't forget the knees and haemorrhoids.sick.gif

So, if you can find the time to attend, I am sure that our team would benefit greatly.thumbsup.gif

SC

First question....I'll leave for Harry

Second question.......I'll leave for the Boss

Of course I would be happy to attend any Sinposium and would be happy to apply my lack of medical knowledge to making a detailed physical examination of all the potential cheer leader applicants.

Having successfully nearly completed the early stages of my innings any sock from the infant department may be enough protection however I am sure there are some who would at least pretend that the socks needed must be those thick khaki ones from the army surplus store.

Of course I would be happy to attend any Sinposium and would be happy to apply my lack of medical knowledge to making a detailed physical examination of all the potential cheer leader applicants.

Having successfully nearly completed the early stages of my innings any sock from the infant department may be enough protection however I am sure there are some who would at least pretend that the socks needed must be those thick khaki ones from the army surplus store.

Thank you so much for your kind offer to help out. Let me point out that your lack of medical knowledge comes no where near mine.

As for the socks.....I will leave that up to the team uniform department.

I would also like to suggest that you organise your trip in hast, as it must be comming on summer in the UK, because it is ^#%&*@# winter here in Aus

Edited by kevjohn

Thank you so much for your kind offer to help out. Let me point out that your lack of medical knowledge comes no where near mine.

I would also like to suggest that you organise your trip in hast, as it must be comming on summer in the UK, because it is ^#%&*@# winter here in Aus

No way would you catch me going to UK either in summer or winter. Australia is a diferent matter if I have accomodation but I tthink i willhave t settle for Chiang Rai even if itdoes get a bit cool at night sometimes.

No way would you catch me going to UK either in summer or winter. Australia is a diferent matter if I have accomodation but I tthink i willhave t settle for Chiang Rai even if itdoes get a bit cool at night sometimes.

Don't worry Chiang Rai will be just like Perth soon after we introduce cricket

SC

We discussed underhand backhanders (and their cricketing equivalent of underarm bowling) earlier in the thread

As a reminder, I explained that in cricket you must have permission for the opposition captain to bowl underarm

Through participation in, and appreciation of, cricket, Thai people will learn to ask their enemies before using any underhand backhander type strategies (as the cricketing parallel willl always be fresh in their mind)

Hey Boss...have a look at this...maybe you could incorporate this into why

Thailand Needs Cricket"

http://www.thaivisa....99#entry5349899

Nose picking?... I can't say I have noticed this to be an issue in Thailand. Your first post in that other thread, where you mention private vs public nose picking is the key for me. Public nose picking is clearly not cool, but in private I think it is fine. Anyway, if nose picking in public is indeed an issue here (although I have not noticed) then again Thailand Needs Cricket.

No batsman (or wicket-keeper) has ever picked their nose with their gloves on. While, in theory, it is possible to pick your nose while fielding, the risk of ridicule from one's team mates in case of being hit on the head by a ball that could have been caught, while having one's fingers otherwise occupied with bogie sourcing activities, should be enough to teach anyone to do their nose picking in the privacy of their own home.

Similarly, umpires could pick their nose but, from my experience, they do not. I think this is because the finger they use for signalling a wicket is also their natural nose picking finger. Therefore, picking their nose during a cricket match could lead to them inadvertently giving spurious a wicket decision when in fact they are just trying to shake a sticky bogey off their finger.

I have to agree, in general, with brit1984's comments on the subject of nose picking. It's a personal thing, best attended to in the privacy of one's home. Certainly, I never saw any of the Essex cricketers resort to such personal entertainment, (for that, surely, is what it is). I do recall there was some suggestion during the '56 tour, when, you'll remember, Barbados was trouncing Fiji, that some of the fast bowlers were "slicking" their balls to achieve a better, unpredictable delivery, but it was never proved. Best to leave the subject well enough alone in my opinion. We can do without "gamesmanship" in our noble sport and further discussion might corrupt the very people we hope to attract to the game - the Thai lads who, with just a little encouragement, could very well rise to world class.

As for the suggestion of lady wicket keepers, I find this quite preposterous. I've never yet met a lady prepared to crouch behind three stumps to capture a ball. Women at cricket, I've noted, are far too busy with their makeup, finger nails and hair to make a serious contribution to the match. Trevor agreed with me on this.

Your in luck Harry.......Symposium has been moved to the Gold Coast, Qld, Australia........David48 has offered accommodation and meals but you supply your own liquor........he said he can't afford to go bankrupt.

Had a problem with the ticket....... could only get one way from Brisbane to Chiang Rai but that has now been sorted....You will be flying Pigeon Airways with main meal being.........yep thats it........Roast Lamb

Have a good flight.

Edited by kevjohn

Thailand Needs Cricket"

Nose picking?... I can't say I have noticed this to be an issue in Thailand. Your first post in that other thread, where you mention private vs public nose picking is the key for me. Public nose picking is clearly not cool, but in private I think it is fine. Anyway, if nose picking in public is indeed an issue here (although I have not noticed) then again Thailand Needs Cricket.

No batsman (or wicket-keeper) has ever picked their nose with their gloves on. While, in theory, it is possible to pick your nose while fielding, the risk of ridicule from one's team mates in case of being hit on the head by a ball that could have been caught, while having one's fingers otherwise occupied with bogie sourcing activities, should be enough to teach anyone to do their nose picking in the privacy of their own home.

Similarly, umpires could pick their nose but, from my experience, they do not. I think this is because the finger they use for signalling a wicket is also their natural nose picking finger. Therefore, picking their nose during a cricket match could lead to them inadvertently giving spurious a wicket decision when in fact they are just trying to shake a sticky bogey off their finger.

I have to agree, in general, with brit1984's comments on the subject of nose picking. It's a personal thing, best attended to in the privacy of one's home. Certainly, I never saw any of the Essex cricketers resort to such personal entertainment, (for that, surely, is what it is). I do recall there was some suggestion during the '56 tour, when, you'll remember, Barbados was trouncing Fiji, that some of the fast bowlers were "slicking" their balls to achieve a better, unpredictable delivery, but it was never proved. Best to leave the subject well enough alone in my opinion. We can do without "gamesmanship" in our noble sport and further discussion might corrupt the very people we hope to attract to the game - the Thai lads who, with just a little encouragement, could very well rise to world class.

As for the suggestion of lady wicket keepers, I find this quite preposterous. I've never yet met a lady prepared to crouch behind three stumps to capture a ball. Women at cricket, I've noted, are far too busy with their makeup, finger nails and hair to make a serious contribution to the match. Trevor agreed with me on this.

If I can just make one comment re you saying that you agree with brit1984.......in Aus, if you want to get on and climb the Corporate ladder, that is the number one rule.......always agree with the Boss.wink.png

Edited by kevjohn

This took me hours ...

But the next one I could knock up in 30 mins ...

Whoa! Very impressive indeed!

Those knees put SC's to shame....whistling.gif

SC may surprise you soon ...

Edited by David48

SC

We discussed underhand backhanders (and their cricketing equivalent of underarm bowling) earlier in the thread

As a reminder, I explained that in cricket you must have permission for the opposition captain to bowl underarm

Through participation in, and appreciation of, cricket, Thai people will learn to ask their enemies before using any underhand backhander type strategies (as the cricketing parallel willl always be fresh in their mind)

Yeah Boss...I know that but, I wanted you to remind SC......he lets his mind wander, to cheer squad leaders, tooooo much...smile.png

This took me hours ...

But the next one I could knock up in 30 mins ...

Whoa! Very impressive indeed!

How soon?...... Have I got time for breaky?

How soon?...... Have I got time for breaky?

Sure ... he's a few hours behind us where he lives.

Whats on the menu?

Back on the promotion of the great game of Cricket to Thailand we do need to do something different to capture a wider audience.

post-104736-0-89346900-1338592871_thumb.

Now this has been used as part of the promotion of the game at a State level here in Australia and I was wondering if some you braver Team Members would do something similar so we could use the images in promotional footage?

Nominations are currently open ...

As a Trivia question ... name the three Cricketers pictured above.

Double points for their respective nicknames.

One answer per post and please let the others have a go …

Edited by David48

Back on the promotion of the great game of Cricket to Thailand we do need to do something different to capture a wider audience.

Now this has been used as part of the promotion of the game at a State level here in Australia and I was wondering if some you braver Team Members would do something similar so we could use the images in promotional footage?

You want to see a row of guy with pasty white wobbling bellies?

Speak for yourself sunshine!

But your cute white and fluffy brown stomach might be a bit different.

Maybe we could do a photo shoot of you chasing the Circket ball round the oval!

Have to speak with Missfarmgirl..... I did say not to post my picture......thumbsup.gif

and if I may.....my nominations are........SC....JT.....ah...and don't forget the Boss.clap2.gif

Hey... how did you know what my belly looked like?..sad.png

Well, as the old saying goes.....Takes one kind to know another....ermm.gif

Edited by kevjohn

As a Trivia question ... name the three Cricketers pictured above.

Double points for their respective nicknames.

One answer per post and please let the others have a go …

I would like to start the ball rowling....the guy in the middle is...ah...his name is on the tip of me tongue...ah...yes, that's it

Andrew Simons....( note.. thats brilliant kevjohn...give yah self a pat on the bat back)

Edited by kevjohn

Hey BookMan......how do you score a name like "sunshine"?

And for the "photo shoot".....how about you chasing the Cheer Squad round the oval.

Edited by kevjohn

And for the "photo shoot".....how about you chasing the Cheer Squad round the oval.

Perhaps 'Sunshine' is an Australianism?

You are generally awarded the title after your 3rd year in Boomerang instruction. You are an Aussie aren't you Kevjohn? Did you miss the Boomerang years?

I certainly don't mind rounding up the cheer squad before and after every match. I really do like to sink my teeth into something solid.

As for the photo shoot....maybe its better i keep that private? You do mean THAT photo shoot don't you?

Lords would be a better backdrop

Thailand Needs Cricket"

If I can just make one comment re you saying that you agree with brit1984.......in Aus, if you want to get on and climb the Corporate ladder, that is the number one rule.......always agree with the Boss.wink.png

Number one rule world wide...except for some modern thinking European countries. thumbsup.gif