Non-Immigrant O "Employment Prohibited"

I have just received a Non-Immigrant O Visa by marriage from the Consulate in London. I was previously on a Non Immigrant O Visa, then moved to one year extensions while in Thailand. Without going into details, the last extension expired and it was more convenient to get a new Non O while on a visit to the UK. I was planning to get a new job with WP using the new Non O but they have printed on it "Employment Prohibited". This was not printed on the last Non O I received a few years ago. is it worth going back to the embassy on Tuesday to ask them to change this? (cannot make Monday). Problem is that my flight to BKK is on Wednesday.

From the Hull website:-

There are various categories of non-immigrant visa including:-

Category “B” (business – paid employment)

Category “ED” (education – unpaid work)

Category “M” (media)

Category “O” (other)

This seems obvious that a category B would be required for work.

Additional notes confirm the following:-

ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE FOR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS

“EVIDENCE REQUIRED TO SUBSTANTIATE PURPOSE OF VISIT”

Category “B”

--------------------------

1)
Conducting business in Thailand as an employee of a non Thai company (ie a business

based outside Thailand)

Evidence required:

a) Supporting Letter from the company which you are employed by or which you

are representing and an Invitation Letter from Thai company.

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

or

2)
Taking up employment in Thailand with a company located in Thailand.

Evidence required
:

a) Sponsor Letter from Thai company offering employment – a letter from an

agent acting for the employer is not acceptable.

Such company must provide evidence that it is registered in Thailand.

B) If applicant is to be employed as a teacher they must also provide a copy of

their Teaching Qualifications and a valid UK CRB Check.

Please note that only a single entry visa will be granted in these circumstances.
  • Like 1

Ok thanks for the replies. So I should regard the "Employment Prohibited" note as just a reminder that, on its own, the visa does not allow me to work?

My last Non O did not have this note. I would be reassured if they are issuing all Non Os with this note. Thanks.

Edited by pj123

I got my Non Imm 'O' visa from Hull, six years ago. I have it extended every year, on the basis of marriage. It has "Employment Prohibited" in large red letters at the bottom. I had no problem getting a work permit

I had a poster yesterday saying that his labor office refused to issue work permit because of such a stamp so it may no longer be a sure thing (this was also a London stamp). In the past I know it was not a problem but I would make the visit Tuesday and explain the issue and try to have it removed.

An O based on marriage is usually okay for the Labor Office to issue a work permit on. That's been my experience in several provinces.

Without a WP, you cannot legally work.

Terry

Correct, i've got a work permit for 2 different companies in past and it was based on a non immigrant O.

I wouldn't pay much attention on what is written on this consular stamp or sticker... I have one from melbourne saying that I couldn't apply for an extension and it's already the 5th time that I extend it.

Question to the experts:

I've been issued yearly extensions for retirement for the past seven years on a Non-B visa. Does this mean I can apply for a work permit without having to leave the country to get a new visa? There is no stamp "Employment Prohibited".

kindly excuse if you think I'm hijacking the original post.

Edited by JRinger

Question to the experts:

I've been issued yearly extensions for retirement for the past seven years on a Non-B visa. Does this mean I can apply for a work permit without having to leave the country to get a new visa? There is no stamp "Employment Prohibited".

Since your are now on an extension of stay based upon retirement you would not be able to get a work permit from most reports and info available. There is good chance that you would not even be able to apply for a work permit. That would mean you would have leave the country and get a tourist visa in order for the application to be made.

Edited by ubonjoe

Question to the experts:

Since your are now on an extension of stay based upon retirement you would not be able to get a work permit from most reports and info available. There is good chance that you would not even be able to apply for a work permit. That would mean you would have leave the country and get a tourist visa in order for the application to be made.

I see no reason why the OP couldn't apply for a WP now - the WP3 Receipt would be required anyway to get a fresh Non Immigrant Type 'B' Visa, if Labour won't accept his current Extension Status.

OP - go to Labour with your paperwork and try to apply; you should at least to be able to file an application awaiting a Fresh Non B Visa Entry in your passport.

When I first came to thailand I had an offer of a job before I arrived. My employer provided me with the papers I needed to get a non imm B visa at the consulate in Hull. This visa allows you to work as soon as you arrive in Thailand while your work permit application is being processed, This took 13 weeks in my case but I was still allowed to work legally.

I now have a non Imm O visa. With this visa my understanding is that you can work but must wait until you physically have your work permit in your hand.

The stamp only means that you have to wait for your work permit and only prohibits work until then.

With a retirement visa work is prohibited and you cannot apply for a work permit.

No visa allows you to work until you obtain a work permit. Work is not prohibited by a retirement visa or extension but under current policy a work permit will not normally be issued if you have such a stay. It is the work permit that allows work - not the visa.

I got my Non Imm 'O' visa from Hull, six years ago. I have it extended every year, on the basis of marriage. It has "Employment Prohibited" in large red letters at the bottom. I had no problem getting a work permit

Jeiyenyen I will need to get a years extension around October, can you tell me where the nearest Thai consulate outside Thailand is (I live in Phichit Province)and want a non-emmigrant muliple entry O visa based on marriage just like you.

Jeiyenyen I will need to get a years extension around October, can you tell me where the nearest Thai consulate outside Thailand is (I live in Phichit Province)and want a non-emmigrant muliple entry O visa based on marriage just like you.

If you are applying for an extension, you do that at an immigration office. If you are applying for a new visa, then you go to a consulate outside of Thailand, Savanakhet, Laos seems to be a good choice for now.

KL Malaysia if you can show 100,000 Baht in the bank or Savanakhet Laos who currently issue without the need to show money.

For purposes of this discussion wrt WP, do the above references to marriage-based visas also pertain to the guardian flavor.

As a single father with sole custody - mother has waived all legal rights to the children, I have lived on a non-Imm "O" issued from KL followed by an extension of stay based on 400K in the bank.

I haven't had a work permit under this last regime, although did for 8 years in the past.

What I want to accomplish is to be able to get a job with a WP, but not have my right to stay in Thailand dependent on that, so I could switch jobs (and WPs) without having to re-do my visa/extension.

Any advice appreciated, and happy to start a new thread if that's recommended.

Your extension of stay should be accepted by Labor for work permit issue - but it is a Labor decision and some recent reports are negative even for marriage so you will need to check with them. If you have to change there would not be anything to prevent return if work ends if you can meet the financials and still qualify.

For purposes of this discussion wrt WP, do the above references to marriage-based visas also pertain to the guardian flavor.

As a single father with sole custody - mother has waived all legal rights to the children, I have lived on a non-Imm "O" issued from KL followed by an extension of stay based on 400K in the bank.

I haven't had a work permit under this last regime, although did for 8 years in the past.

What I want to accomplish is to be able to get a job with a WP, but not have my right to stay in Thailand dependent on that, so I could switch jobs (and WPs) without having to re-do my visa/extension.

Any advice appreciated, and happy to start a new thread if that's recommended.

If you are currently on an extension of stay then you shouldn't have any problem getting a work permit.

If it's an O visa then it can be problem.

Edited by ubonjoe

I had a poster yesterday saying that his labor office refused to issue work permit because of such a stamp so it may no longer be a sure thing (this was also a London stamp). In the past I know it was not a problem but I would make the visit Tuesday and explain the issue and try to have it removed.

I am going through that process now for the non-o and I am finding out that some of the provinces are not as informed as Bangkok. I called the Labor Office in Bangkok and they said no problem with the wp and non-o but they also said some provinces simply are not informed and you may run into problems getting a wp. Maybe they want tea money. Not sure.

KL Malaysia if you can show 100,000 Baht in the bank or Savanakhet Laos who currently issue without the need to show money.

Thank you Lite Beer, 100,000 Baht is no problem, I will just check the plane fares to Laos and Malaysia from Bangkok.

If you are applying for an extension, you do that at an immigration office. If you are applying for a new visa, then you go to a consulate outside of Thailand, Savanakhet, Laos seems to be a good choice for now.

Thank you Beech Guy.

I'm afraid I'm still not clear, I'm sure due to my ignorance of the terminology.

I am going through that process now for the non-o and I am finding out that some of the provinces are not as informed as Bangkok. I called the Labor Office in Bangkok and they said no problem with the wp and non-o but they also said some provinces simply are not informed and you may run into problems getting a wp. Maybe they want tea money. Not sure.

I'm assuming that "non-o" is short for a "Non-immigrant O" rather than meaning a non-immigrant visa that is "not an O" correct?

Your extension of stay should be accepted by Labor for work permit issue - but it is a Labor decision and some recent reports are negative even for marriage so you will need to check with them. If you have to change there would not be anything to prevent return if work ends if you can meet the financials and still qualify.

I'm not sure what you mean by "prevent return". Return to what?

My goal is to have my ability to stay in Thailand - which I do have a right to do as a single father of Thai citizens and sufficient money in the bank - independent of my work status. I definitely do not want to have to travel abroad just because I change jobs.

If you are currently on an extension of stay then you shouldn't have any problem getting a work permit.

If it's an O visa then it can be problem.

First sentence great, but no clue what you mean by the last. My guardian status gives me a non-Immigrant "O" visa from the foreign service (embassy), but only for a limited initial period. Then I go and get the one year extension of stay from immigration (police).

Are you saying that if I were to get a job while still in that initial period that might be a problem, but if it's after the extension, then there's no problem?

-------------------------

A final question if that's OK, is there any problem having more than one WP at a time?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I came to Thailand with a Non O eleven years ago. I also had a stamp that said "Ëmployment Prohibited". When I was offered a job I was issued a Work Permit whilst still having the Non O, extended on the basis of retirement. I was never asked to apply for or change to a Non B. No problem. When I stopped work it was just a matter of hamding in my Work Permit and continuing on my Non O Retirment.

My original visa was also like that, however my company after securing the work permit for me changed the visa to type B. What this means is that even if they stamped employment prohibited you can once you get your WP. Also by that time you need to make an extension of stay then the visa must be converted to B, by your sponsoring company....