Things I Really Miss When In Thailand

krobert6

When I am in Chiang Saen for extended periods I get the urge for good basic Thai pastes like Pataks Tandoori and Vindaloo, Cheese - the basic Chedders and other such things like pickles. I have travelled to Chiang Rai to try to find them but no luck.

Anyone know of good Asian/Indian grocers or European ones in the area?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the British oriented food suppliers in the Chiang Mai area offer Indian food as interpreted by the British, most of it quite good, apparently.

http://www.sausageking1.com/menus/ (Look for the Indian stuff)

They're a sponsor on Thaivisa; post in the Chiang Mai forum for more info.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some of the British oriented food suppliers in the Chiang Mai area offer Indian food as interpreted by the British, most of it quite good, apparently.

Looks good , but I was looking for something closer to home, and as I cook myself would like to get my hands on the sauces

The only thing I've really never been able to find is bulk marzipan. Hate paying heaps for little read-made animals, used to buying it cheap by the log. Also birch beer, and a spicy ginger beer.

These are probably available somewhere in BKK, but haven't bothered searching and are probably expensive:

- A decent bagel.

- Reubens.

- Decent onion rings.

Nothing important though. . .

Marzipan is very easy to make

450g (16oz) Ground Almonds

225g (8oz) Icing Sugar

225g (8oz) Castor Sugar

2 Eggs

1 tbsp Lemon Juice

1 tsp Almond Essence

Whisk eggs, essence and lemon juice.

Stir in the sugars and almonds.

Use your hands to form the mixture into a ball.

Knead well to produce a pliable dough.

Wrap in grease-proof paper and refrigerate until needed.

• Like 2

everythings out there just open your eyes and look

snow? :P

Major stuff that i miss is theaters, museums, good walking zones, decent streets (pathing) and free from clutter and stalls. Miss the cleanliness of the streets and parks too (shame that that happens here). Miss decent road standards and reasonably trusted medical care.

I miss some basic stuff, such as some clothing stores, lots of stuff here tends to have bows and things. Miss "normal" bras at good prices, particularly miss high impact sports ones. Maybe can be found in bkk, but when i last looked in even major stores, they didnt have.

Most food stuff that i miss i make myself.

Miss decent chocolate. Again, maybe in bkk, but choc bars here are different. Always get friends to bring me some when they go out the country.

I'm lucky in KL as we get top Indian food here, but I could imagine others less fortunate might pine for sauces from Pataks of Skelmersdale

SC

pataks sauces are sold in macro

That is great news

Thanks

What do you mean 'interpreted by the British' I'll have you know Balti was invented in Birmingham ( that's in England BTW) by Brits of oriental origin. What more do you need to know?

I have seen snow in Singapore, artificially produced, so why not in Thailand?

There is an ice skating rink in Bangkok

Dream World has had an indoor "Snow World", go sledding, snowball fights whatever, like forever - I took kids there eight years ago.

• Like 1

I'll still go with my previous answer when one of the wifes best friends asked me and that's cleavage.

Most other things have been mentioned. Stew and dumplings ( i just can't make them well) Sheperds pie , but I can make that.

Fish and chips, not just fish and chips, but being able to go to a shop locally and buy it. Especially when walking back from football. That's another thing real football, not the pansie stuff here when as soon as there is the slightest contact the ref blows for a foul. You may have guessed I don't miss the premiership. Then again 10 minutes into a Palace game and I'd be wishing I was somewhere else, like the pub.

Salt and vinegar, worcester sauce crisps. Salt and vinegar have started to appear but not very cheap though.

Chocolate and chocolate digestives at a reasonable price.

Boursin cheese, well I found some in Hua Hin last week, but 330 baht for a small pack.

Oh and as you may have guessed from another thread a bit of a wider variety of beer that's not padded with whatever the hell they put in it.

Oh and I don't miss decent sportsbras. One mans trash is another mans treasure. whistling.gif

• Like 1

NFL and NBA.

Decent bread, cheese, pickles, high quality cold cuts and gobbagol, lox, alaskan crab. Swiss cheese! ...drool,,, only been here 2 months and dying for a real sandwich.

Anything of quality (TV, etc) not costing 2x+ what it costs in the USA.

Going to the beach without pains in the <deleted> walking up to me and asking me if i want to buy whatever stupid shit they are selling and then giving me the "Pity Eyes" like "Oh white man look at poor me" and lingering for a few moments even though I have told them I was not interested. Also, the teenagers at the beach wearing tiny bikinis!

Edited by farang000999