Things I Really Miss When In Thailand

krobert6

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sausage rolls, that is sausage rolls not a cold hot dog sausage in a bun or at best a hot dog sausage in pastry. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Again I can make my own, but walking into a bakery and getting a big hot sausage roll is much more pleasurable.

And decent bread like mentioned above. I never went into a subway before moving here, but always do while in Bangkok for a subsitute to decent bread.

There is a small bread/pastry shop just outside the entrance to "TOPS" supermarket in the Future Park shoppnig centre Rangsit and the various breads on sale are excellent.I can't recall the name but it is something like Yamasaki and it is part of a chain so I imagine there would be shops in other locations.

We good good sausage rolls....real ones....from the same place we buy our pies...very tasty.

As for bread, there are now plenty of places in Bkk where you can buy top quality bread......nothing like 10 years ago when I first moved here and virtually nothing but the sweet rubbish available.

If you are in the Pattaya area there is racing at the nearby circuit.

The go kart tracks off not only karts for hire, but also a series

of races around the country over the year.

Buy a kart and participate.

There is a small bread/pastry shop just outside the entrance to "TOPS" supermarket in the Future Park shoppnig centre Rangsit and the various breads on sale are excellent.I can't recall the name but it is something like Yamasaki and it is part of a chain so I imagine there would be shops in other locations.

Our definitions of decent bread are not the same, some TOPS locations make a half-decent loaf, but never been happy with the local-oriented ones usually at the entrances, and definitely not Yamazaki - for greasy sweet pastries maybe but not bread.

In general if you have a decent bakery near your home or on your regular route you're very lucky. There happens to be a 5-star (sic) hotel a 5-minute walk away that discounts 50% at 7pm, B100 gets a few small loaves and rolls, nice and hard-crusty outside fluffy (and NOT sweet) on the inside.

Before that it was an hour and more than that price just for the bus+BTS fare.

Please report on prices back here. Not shaped, flavored or colored, just the raw ingredient, I used to get a Swedish brand in log form for not much at all, I think 1/2 a kg each for just a few dollars.

Johnny; what do you want me to report on...the price of Ground Almonds or the price of Marzipan, if available?

Marzipan of course, isn't that what you meant? I really can't see making it myself, as I said I can't believe it would turn out to be what I crave.

By "ingredient" I meant for when it's used in baking or making little animals etc. I personally never met someone else who just slices from the bare loaf and eats it like me. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Oh sausage rolls, that is sausage rolls not a cold hot dog sausage in a bun or at best a hot dog sausage in pastry. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Again I can make my own, but walking into a bakery and getting a big hot sausage roll is much more pleasurable.

And decent bread like mentioned above. I never went into a subway before moving here, but always do while in Bangkok for a subsitute to decent bread.

We good good sausage rolls....real ones....from the same place we buy our pies...very tasty.

As for bread, there are now plenty of places in Bkk where you can buy top quality bread......nothing like 10 years ago when I first moved here and virtually nothing but the sweet rubbish available.

Unfortunately I'm in Chonburi City, there's nothing local. sad.png Makros stale french bread doesn't cut it.

I've found sausage rolls with sausage meat in Jomtiem in the shop next to the aunts condo we sometimes borrow, but they were frozen or in a fridge (I can't remember now) and weren't very nice. Where in Bangkok do you find them ?

There are some places i've found that have half decent bread in Bangkok, but by the time you've finished shopping and got back to Chonburi city it's not fresh. It's not the same as popping into your local town and picking up freshly baked bread for what 50p and eating it while it's still lovely and soft inside and of course a freshly baked hot sausage roll to go with it.

everyone missing something here did not arrive yet

Arrogant Rubbish.

I have lived here 17 years and miss my Mother visiting me here.. She is 90 now..The last time she flew out she was 85 and we had a high old time around the Pattaya bars before coming up to the village for a few weeks...She loves coming here and we still "plan" another trip but we both know in our hearts it is very unlikely to happen...

Your post has actually got to me there ! I hope you make it happen for you both. Just find some accessible routes for a zimmer/wheelchair. Difficult I know but it can be done.

I am sure she is well loved in Thailand and laughs from the beginning to the end.

I'll still go with my previous answer when one of the wifes best friends asked me and that's cleavage.

Most other things have been mentioned. Stew and dumplings ( i just can't make them well) Sheperds pie , but I can make that.

Fish and chips, not just fish and chips, but being able to go to a shop locally and buy it. Especially when walking back from football. That's another thing real football, not the pansie stuff here when as soon as there is the slightest contact the ref blows for a foul. You may have guessed I don't miss the premiership. Then again 10 minutes into a Palace game and I'd be wishing I was somewhere else, like the pub.

Salt and vinegar, worcester sauce crisps. Salt and vinegar have started to appear but not very cheap though.

Chocolate and chocolate digestives at a reasonable price.

Boursin cheese, well I found some in Hua Hin last week, but 330 baht for a small pack.

Oh and as you may have guessed from another thread a bit of a wider variety of beer that's not padded with whatever the hell they put in it.

Oh and I don't miss decent sportsbras. One mans trash is another mans treasure. whistling.gif

Arthur - google is your friend for Boursin cheese. Make it yourself, google Boursin cheese recipe.

• Like 1

If you are in the Pattaya area there is racing at the nearby circuit.

The go kart tracks off not only karts for hire, but also a series

of races around the country over the year.

Buy a kart and participate.

Thanks. I've been a few times and Bang Saen as well, all good fun, but it doesn't compare to the UK's (and many other countries) motor racing scene.

No homebuilt/designed individual cars,no big club scene, no real big boys professional stuff, no decent circuits, nothing with power,no circuits where powerful cars can open it up, no decent cars, no nice historic racing, no international series, no professional drivers.

But maybe one day hopefully.

I'll still go with my previous answer when one of the wifes best friends asked me and that's cleavage.

Most other things have been mentioned. Stew and dumplings ( i just can't make them well) Sheperds pie , but I can make that.

Fish and chips, not just fish and chips, but being able to go to a shop locally and buy it. Especially when walking back from football. That's another thing real football, not the pansie stuff here when as soon as there is the slightest contact the ref blows for a foul. You may have guessed I don't miss the premiership. Then again 10 minutes into a Palace game and I'd be wishing I was somewhere else, like the pub.

Salt and vinegar, worcester sauce crisps. Salt and vinegar have started to appear but not very cheap though.

Boursin cheese, well I found some in Hua Hin last week, but 330 baht for a small pack.

Oh and as you may have guessed from another thread a bit of a wider variety of beer that's not padded with whatever the hell they put in it.

Oh and I don't miss decent sportsbras. One mans trash is another mans treasure. whistling.gif

Arthur - google is your friend for Boursin cheese. Make it yourself, google Boursin cheese recipe.

Really ? Thankyou I'll have a look later today.

Most of all, I miss the snow so much. I have always liked it.

Otherwise, I miss a decent pizza, cake, chocolate as they just don't taste good here.

I miss the athmosphere of pubs of certain countries in Europe. I don't quite like pubs here.

I miss playing football with friends.

You can't get decent bread in Chiangmai no such thing as a bakery that makes bread. You can get the coloured sweet thai style bread but that is about it. Would love to find a good pasta dura great hot straight out of oven. hard outer casing and beautiful and soft in the middle.

Really ? Thankyou I'll have a look later today.

I couldn't wait and researched it right back to making the yoghurt to make the cream cheese. I think I'd better just buy the youghurt or cream cheese and start from there or it looks like I'll end up with a room full of boursin.

Once again thankyou.

these kind of threads always finish up talking about food - I just bake my own bread, sausage rolls, crisps, pork pies, home made black pudding is easy to make and much better....There's not much that you can't make yourself as far as food is concerned. You can even grow your ingredients if you have a garden (including pigs).

• Like 1

Ok this probably will not be liked, but sometimes miss the male eye-candy.

Although there are quite a few good looking Thai guys around, i like diversity.

Im happily in a relationship but doesnt mean i dont appreciate attractive men. Particularly attractive men who come without chips on their shoulders regarding western women. So, normal pleasant, interactions, small flirtations maybe with good looking normal guys.

But, on the western front, most of the guys in Chiang Mai seem to be..(hmm..out of politeness, i'll drop it there)

giggle.gif

Im happily in a relationship but doesnt mean i dont appreciate attractive men. Particularly attractive men who come without chips on their shoulders regarding western women. So, normal pleasant, interactions, small flirtations maybe with good looking normal guys.

But, on the western front, most of the guys in Chiang Mai seem to be..(hmm..out of politeness, i'll drop it there)

How can this be? To hear the bargirls tell it, there's tons of "hansum" men running around. But seriously, some western friends of mine (you know, the guys who bat for the other team) tell me that there's loads of male eye-candy everywhere as far as the eye can see. But I get your point. Different strokes and all that...

• Like 1

giggle.gif

Nice to know that the 'fairer sex' thinks no differently to their menfolk. thumbsup.gif

You can't get decent bread in Chiangmai no such thing as a bakery that makes bread. You can get the coloured sweet thai style bread but that is about it. Would love to find a good pasta dura great hot straight out of oven. hard outer casing and beautiful and soft in the middle.

You don't consider Butter is Better 'decent' bread?

giggle.gif

Nice to know that the 'fairer sex' thinks no differently to their menfolk. thumbsup.gif

Ouch! Would this be classified as "touche?"

giggle.gif

Ouch! Would this be classified as "touche?"

I am not THAT brave Mr B. !