A Mighty Storm Hit Mabprachan Lake Last Night.

Mobi

There was one God almighty spectacular electrical storm out by the lake Mabprachan last night - one of the most ferocious I have witnessed in the past 7 years.

The lightning was almost non-stop for a while and the wind must have been close to gale force. The missus had some of her home made sun shelters which were attached to the house blown down and the local primary schools have delayed the start of the new term to clear iup the mess and deal with damage.

The teachers probably could also do with some kip as we had a 7 hour power cut from around 9 pm to 4 a.m.and the humidity was extremely high, making a good night's sleep almost impossible.

They must have tried to re-start the power about 10 times but every time the fans burst into life, within seconds they went off again. Then at 3 a.m the power finally returned and we all closed up our houses and adjourned to our air conditioned bedrooms, and laid down on our beds when, after about 10 minutes, the power went off again, leaving us hot and sweaty in our closed up bedrooms.sad.png

An hour later the power finally returned for good.

The joys of life in Thailandsmile.png

Anyone else have any storm stories from last night?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I have no idea how much damage had been done to the power lines, but judging by the length of time it took to get it back up and running, it must have been pretty extensive.

Did anyone happen to see the damage?

Anyway, hats off to the power company people who, IMHO, do an incredible job in keeping us all in electricity. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they repair the damage - regardless of the hour - day or night.

If this storm had happened in the UK, it would probably have taken 2- 3 days to fix it - at least one day just to fill in the forms and a second day for the repair crew to go out and survey the damage, a third day to get clearance from health and safety, and so on....

Here in North Pattaya the power was only off for maybe 2-3 sec.

One of the new gutters on my house was overflowing when I went to bed late last night. This morning I found the gutter bend and torching the ground, thankfully the guys installing them will come back and repair for free and make another drain pipe so it wont happen again.

One quarter-second power cut in Jomtien, not even enough for my TV to go into standby or air-con to shut down. Seemed like an average storm to me though these things do tend to be very localised here.

The positive thing about the strong wind storm was that it removed many billboards promoting some condo project and advertisement signs stuck on poles and along the road side. Thank you mother nature.

• Like 2

Anyone else have any storm stories from last night?

We had a biggie last night, not the worst I've experienced but definitely right up there in the top ten.

Looking at the Buriram United game on TV, it wasn't localised either.

it started around 1015 here in Ban Ampur lasted until 1130 Definitely the worst electrical storm I have ever seen in 35 years living in the tropics, the lightning was constant, lighting up the garden like it was daylight.

I could see it moving north up Marbachan and wondered how the folks up there were getting on

It was so bad in fact I turned off the power at the main having last month been on the receiving end of a strike directly onto the 33kva power lines outside my house which did untold damage inside the house.

Wonder of wonders though the TOT internet was still working this morning when I turned it on.

BTW, I have no idea how much damage had been done to the power lines, but judging by the length of time it took to get it back up and running, it must have been pretty extensive.

Anyway, hats off to the power company people who, IMHO, do an incredible job in keeping us all in electricity. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they repair the damage - regardless of the hour - day or night.

If this storm had happened in the UK, it would probably have taken 2- 3 days to fix it - at least one day just to fill in the forms and a second day for the repair crew to go out and survey the damage, a third day to get clearance from health and safety, and so on....

Mobi, you have no recent knowledge of things in UK, so how can you offer this opinion?

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary comment about a persons private life

Pretty wild out here in Huay Yai last night too, worst i have seen in a long time, the rain was heavy for a wee while but the thunder and lightening and the wind was intense - bad wind!! Apparently the weather forecast is pretty similar for the next few days, the sun has disappeared and the clouds are forming now! :(

Your right about the internet Rimmer - mysteriously no problem here either last night?? ours does come from the Ban Amphur too though.

The positive thing about the strong wind storm was that it removed many billboards promoting some condo project and advertisement signs stuck on poles and along the road side. Thank you mother nature.

the lord moves in mysterious ways...........

it started around 1015 here in Ban Ampur lasted until 1130 Definitely the worst electrical storm I have ever seen in 35 years living in the tropics, the lightning was constant, lighting up the garden like it was daylight.

I could see it moving north up Marbachan and wondered how the folks up there were getting on

It was so bad in fact I turned off the power at the main having last month been on the receiving end of a strike directly onto the 33kva power lines outside my house which did untold damage inside the house.

Wonder of wonders though the TOT internet was still working this morning when I turned it on.

A pity.

You could have receive some FREE electricity, courtesy of GOD.

i think was in the eye of the storm and it was pretty ferocious

i had some minor damage but thank fully we did not lose power this time

Our power was out just briefly. Not enough to reset the various clocks, other than one. Plants were blown over and the rain must have been coming in horizontally. We've got water where we've never had it before! Ok, don't ask.....

Mobi, you have no recent knowledge of things in UK, so how can you offer this opinion?

Exactly, why spoil an otherwise v. interesting post with a pop at the way things may be in the UK. Do you think it would really take 2-3 days to get people back up and connected to the grid if there was a similar storm in the UK ? Get real pal.

That is complete nonsense. I probably have more knowledge of what is going on in the UK than most of the people who live there.

This is a 24/7 global news world, or haven't you noticed?

Just because I live in Thailand it doesn't mean I am out of touch with what is going on back home. I am in constant touch with my brother and two daughters and listen for countless hours every to BBC radio and read the UK newspapers via the net on a daily basis.

BBC Radio 5 is a 24/7 UK news and sports services and any problems with power outages anywhere in the UK are given prominent coverage.

I was even back in the UK for a month last year when I was given all the local gossip on such matters, not that I wasn't aware already.

I am not one of those who' rubbish' the UK, and England is still a very fine, civilised place to live in spite of everything. I just happen to prefer Thailand, but that is my choice.

There is good and bad in both worlds, and one of the good things here is the remarkable way that the utility services deal with power outages. In the UK the bureaucracy dictates that a serious outages invariably take days to fix - espescialy if they are in rural areas, and that is an indisputable fact.

Ironically, during the long power cut last night, I was listening to BBC radio 5 live on my tablet and following the 'live' coverage of the Levenson enquiry in the Guardian newspaper. So I'm out of touch am I?

And no, I haven't had a drop of alcohol for over 16 months. How about you?

Exactly, why spoil an otherwise v. interesting post with a pop at the way things may be in the UK. Do you think it would really take 2-3 days to get people back up and connected to the grid if there was a similar storm in the UK ? Get real pal.

Yes, I do. It happens frequently. It even happened to my family in Northamptonshire - in the heart of England - a few years back. (and they received compensation form the power company for damage to their frozen food etc.)

You are the one who needs to get real. I don't write such stuff without having good reason.

Edited by Mobi

There is good and bad in both worlds, and one of the good things here is the remarkable way that the utility services deal with power outages. In the UK the bureaucracy dictates that a serious outages invariably take days to fix - espescialy if they are in rural areas, and that is an indisputable fact.

I think with the heat here people are very dependant on electricity for fans and air con, and without it, it can be impossible to sleep, so reconnecting needs to be a matter of urgency. I'm sure in the UK, if it was in the winter and people were relying on electricity for heat source, the authorities in those rural areas you speak of would have to get their <deleted> in gear too!

To the west of Bangkok at about 2 am there was the most amazing thunder that literally had me leap from bed. One moment deep in sleep, the next on my feet and trying to work out what the <Snip!> had happened. At first was convinced, even though the home is in a quiet soi, that a truck must have driven through the downstairs wall. The noise was absolutely immense. Never heard anything like it.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

I think with the heat here people are very dependant on electricity for fans and air con, and without it, it can be impossible to sleep, so reconnecting needs to be a matter of urgency. I'm sure in the UK, if it was in the winter and people were relying on electricity for heat source, the authorities in those rural areas you speak of would have to get their &lt;deleted&gt; in gear too!

To the west of Bangkok at about 2 am there was the most amazing thunder that literally had me leap from bed. One moment deep in sleep, the next on my feet and trying to work out what the &lt;deleted&gt; had happened. At first was convinced, even though the home is in a quiet soi, that a truck must have driven through the downstairs wall. The noise was absolutely immense. Never heard anything like it.

I think with the heat here people are very dependant on electricity for fans and air con, and without it, it can be impossible to sleep, so reconnecting needs to be a matter of urgency. I'm sure in the UK, if it was in the winter and people were relying on electricity for heat source, the authorities in those rural areas you speak of would have to get their &lt;deleted&gt; in gear too!

To the west of Bangkok at about 2 am there was the most amazing thunder that literally had me leap from bed. One moment deep in sleep, the next on my feet and trying to work out what the &lt;deleted&gt; had happened. At first was convinced, even though the home is in a quiet soi, that a truck must have driven through the downstairs wall. The noise was absolutely immense. Never heard anything like it.

I have been in some countries - such as Nigeria and Indonesia when power outages have taken days to fix, but during the 20 plus years that I have lived in all parts of Thailand, from the rural areas to Bangkok, I cannot reall a single occasion when an outage lasted for more than 12 hours, and usually far less.

I agree with you about the need for vulnerable people in the UK to have central heating etc in the winter, but unfortunately the facts are, that in the most extreme weather conditions, the utility workers take even longer to fix things.

It has been like this for years. Just wait for the next violent storm, or heavy spell of snow or flooding and follow how long it takes them to get things re-connected. Its the same in the USA - if you follow the news there, you will find that whole communites are often cut of for days - sometimes weeks during bad weather conditions.

I am not making this stuff up. Ok, you might argue that the Thais are somehow used to extreme weather conditions or that snow is more difficult to deal with than rain and wind - but I ask you? Is there really an excuse for leaving people without power for days? It could be done much quicker if there was a will to do it. But western bureaucratic rules tend to come into play which slows down the whole process.

Or maybe there's more Thais who are prepared to risk their lives by shinning up telegraph poles in the middle of the night and reconnect damaged power lines?ermm.gif

Whatever the reason , I for one am thankful. Well done guys.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Big storm in Naklua area too. Neighbours told me that further up the road, a tree came crashing down and killed a woman.

The storm sort of hit rather suddenly, whereas I usually hear thunder that warns of an approaching storm. This time thunder, lightning, winds all came together! And unusually it swept in from north easterly direction.

Black clouds in the west and its getting very dark...

Another storm is brewing methinks, and who knows? maybe another power cut.

The missus has just finished repairing the sun shelters and pruning a large mango tree which was the main offender in destroying her handiwork last night.

Fun and games are imminent tho'...

OK Mobi, explain to us exactly how you would repair downed power lines in the UK, in the middle of a blizzard, and a howling gale? You must have done enough manual labour in your life to give us at least an idea of what is required

OK Mobi, explain to us exactly how you would repair downed power lines in the UK, in the middle of a blizzard, and a howling gale? You must have done enough manual labour in your life to give us at least an idea of what is required

Easy.

Ship a team of Thais to Englandbiggrin.png

BTW I can assure you there were no howling gales raging when it took 2 days to restore power to my family's home, and neither were there howling gales in countless other instances when it took days to bring back power.

Sure the gales were blowing when the lines went down - same as here - but storms abate and work can begin. But in the UK that still often entails 2-3 days delay.

But here they actually do go out in the middle of howling gales and violent tropical storms. I have seen them - as soon as the power trips off they are out on the road to fix it, regardless of conditions - it is their job and they do it extremely well.

This is an argument you will never win.

• Like 2

power cuts in the UK and prob the USA are vastly more complex than those we experience here in Thailand, firstly most of the outages here are very local i.e. in city streets were access to the problem is relatively simple - it is also worth noting that supply interuptions in Thailand are more frequent because of the infrastructure, if all the power cables were routed underground as they are in the UK then most of the outages here wouldn't even happen, in the UK outages are caused by vastly different reasons to those in Thailand - fallen trees, snow, severe wind etc, the local distribution in the cities is underground and therefore suffers very few outages - but when you have an outage in the UK it is of a very different nature, usually in a remote location and requires very specialised equipment to repair including trucks and helicopters - on top of that the pylons in these remote areas are carrying much much higer voltages and are more difficult to deal with - add to that exteme weather involving heavy snow and freezing conditions then - yes outages can sometimes take days to repair.

So yes in general Thais can have an outage fixed very quickly which is very credible and efficient but in all honesty if the power distribution was underground 90% of these outages wouldn't happen and is in general a very different type of outage from those (rarely) experienced in the UK

• Like 1

I am Marbprachan power went off at about 10.30 pm last night, came back on at 1.30 pm today. no water or electric, no fans, aircon,etc, when the power came on I just went into the bedroom and put the aircon and cooled down for a few hours. Off for 2 hours tonite as well. Some things taken for granted but when there not there life is difficult. Amazingly millions live like this every day of their lives.

In other words, in the UK you get highly sophisticated 1st world outages requiring logistical planning, specialised equipment including deployment of helicopters to repair the damage, whereas here we have primitive,uncivilized 3rd world outages that can be fixed at the drop of a hat by a couple of minimum wage labourers with a rusty pickup truck and a bamboo ladder.:D

Joking apart, good post and point well made.

But I know where I'd rather have my power outages.:P

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1