Cheapest Flight Out Of Thailand To Anywhere

cooked

I will be transforming my tourist visa into a visa with marriage extension, so I managed to find an affordable one way ticket to Bangkok. I need proof of continuation of journey, so what's the rockbottomest fare I can buy? Cheap skate I know.

Charlie H is correct, however sadly Timatic (the airline visa system) check in agents in your home country use TIMATIC and it gives them basic information ie. only permitted to stay 30 days and it is the airline that will demand an onward ticket as they don't want the responsibility of you being denied entry.

As for the cheapest just book a one way on Air Asia within your 30 day stamp, Penang, Singapore, KL, Macau. You can also look at Scoot to SIN running some decent sales.

Cheapest way is to get a fully refundable ticket. After arrival here, go to the airlines office in Bangkok and apply for the refund. Normally takes 60 days to get the credit back on your card. I've done this before and it wasn't too bad.

What about just getting the tourist visa in your home country before you leave???

Cheapest way is to get a fully refundable ticket. After arrival here, go to the airlines office in Bangkok and apply for the refund. Normally takes 60 days to get the credit back on your card. I've done this before and it wasn't too bad.

What about just getting the tourist visa in your home country before you leave???

I've heard this before - but I still don't see the airlines grounds for insisting you have an onward ticket.

Even if you have a visa - it doesn't give you the right to enter.

Immigration can still refuse you entry.

You can get a tourist visa for 30 days or 60 days - but many people can enter for 30 days without a visa

what gives ??

I've heard this before - but I still don't see the airlines grounds for insisting you have an onward ticket.

You can get a tourist visa for 30 days or 60 days - but many people can enter for 30 days without a visa

what gives ??

A valid visa in your passport gives you the right to enter the country. They "vet" you before issuing the visa in your home country via the local Thai embassy/consulate.

Visa on arrival is only for 30 days at the airport, and 15 at some land borders. And it is possible to get turned away at immigration. Not sure how often that happens, though...

thanks, I will be getting a 60 day visa as I have in the past. Getting my stuff together for a marriages as well as a load of other formalities will be pretty stressful if I aim on doing it inside of 30 days. Maybe I'll get a ticket to Vientiane.

what gives ??

A valid visa in your passport gives you the right to enter the country. They "vet" you before issuing the visa in your home country via the local Thai embassy/consulate.

Visa on arrival is only for 30 days at the airport, and 15 at some land borders. And it is possible to get turned away at immigration. Not sure how often that happens, though...

I disagree - check it out - a visa doesn't give you the right to enter a country - it is up to immigration at the point of entry

Great conversation fellows. I've been looking at tickets to Bangkok and HCMC using the traditional American online "discount" sites. The first tine I flew back to Arizona from Saigon the kid next to me was coming back from seeing family and asked what I'd paid for my flight. $1200 American or so he couldn't believe it. He'd spent $800 on the same itinerary. He told me never to buy online again. Find a travel agentcy the SE Asians use. Sure enough, I did, and he was right on the mark. Question for you all: has that been your experience, as well? And what airports are close enough to Bangkok to us as alternative's if the price warrants? BTW: I can get to lax or even SF by car or train if it makes a big difference in $$. Thanks in advance. You guys are a huge resource for me.

Cheers!

Ben

Sent from my LS670 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you have a 60 day visa in your passport, you don't need a return ticket. As Cdnvic pointed out, the airlines concern is you getting turned away and then they have to pay for your return flight. If you have a visa, you're all set. I've done this before with and without a visa. When I didn't have one, I had to buy a fully refundable ticket on the spot or not get on the plane. Good thing I had a large balance on my card. After arrival I went to the airlines office and applied for the refund. No biggie.

If you want to check with the experts, open a new topic in the visa forum asking if a return ticket is required if you already have a visa.

wink.png Hard to say exactly but the cheapest one way air ticket is probably Bangkok to Vientianne, Laos.

On the "airline requires a out of country ticket" thing:

This only applys if you arrive in Thailand without a visa....even a single entry tourist visa.

Simce a visa is cheaper than any out-of-country ticket....the cheapest method is to get visa at a Thai consulate before you leave your home country.

If for some reason that's not possible and you must enter without a visa....you take your chances with the airline.

Now I'll just explain this airline requires an out-of-country ticket thing one more time:

All international airlines are covered by IATA rules (IATA is International Air Transport Association).

Part of those rules (an appendix to them actually) stipulates immigration requirements for passengers arriving by air to enter various countries.

In the Thailand part of that appendix it is stated that....Passengers from countries eligable to obtain a visa exempt entry (that 30 day stamp you get arriving by air into Thailand) must be holding a valid ticket out of Thailand within that 30 day period.

Because of that if a passenger arrives in Thailand by air without a visa AND for some reason that vistor is NOT ALLOWED to enter Thailand then the AIRLINE that brought him or her to Thailand is responsible for their removal from Thailand.

Although this situation is very unlikely to happen...the AIRLINE doesn't want to take a chance....and that's why they may askt to see your Thai visa OR your on-going ticket.

Many years ago as a young man I was challanged and actually shown the regulation by airline staff. I had to buy an onward ticket.

The airline is selective on asking this.

Usually a middle-aged man wearing good clothes won't be asked by the airline...but a young "backpacker" type MAY be asked.

Asking or not asking is up to the airline.

Again, the CHEAPEST way to avoid that chance is to get a visa in your home country for Thailand before you leave.

wai.gif

• Like 1

If you have a 60 day visa in your passport, you don't need a return ticket. As Cdnvic pointed out, the airlines concern is you getting turned away and then they have to pay for your return flight. If you have a visa, you're all set. I've done this before with and without a visa. When I didn't have one, I had to buy a fully refundable ticket on the spot or not get on the plane. Good thing I had a large balance on my card. After arrival I went to the airlines office and applied for the refund. No biggie.

If you want to check with the experts, open a new topic in the visa forum asking if a return ticket is required if you already have a visa.

I don't dispute that IATA (or whatever "guidelines" they issue) require persons that do not have a visa show an "onward" itinerary document. What I disagree with is the reasoning given earlier in this post. As I said & it is listed on embassy and consulate sites, a visa doesn't give you the right to enter the country. Immigration have the right to refuse entry to anyone - regardless of whether they have or have not a visa.

Immigration have the right to refuse entry to anyone - regardless of whether they have or have not a visa.

While this is 100% true, it is not going to happen without legal reason and justification.

• Like 1

thanks for that. Yes. As I will be doing two stopovers on my way to Bangkok this time I don't want to risk being confronted with airline personnel that aren't aware of that.

Nobody anywhere is going to check that you have an outbound ticket once you started your itinerary and get your boarding passes. You are being a bit over concerned about this issue given you have a visa and the need for an outbound ticket is a moot point.

• Like 1

In all my years, I have never had an airline booking agent or check in staff tell me I needed on onward or a return ticket - without a visa, with a visa etc.

If you had a round trip ticket, there would be no need to ask you as the info would be in their computer.

It seems very dependent on the airlines and country if they ask this. Some have a database which automatically will tell them the requirements and they are also forced to put in the return information (date) before printing your boarding passes. American Airlines is very strict in the US with this and know Continental forces the agent to put in the return date as the screen prompts them that having an outbound ticket is mandatory. However, I know many people who fly in from places in Europe and always buy a one way ticket and arrive with no visa. In the US it is less of an issue because a one way ticket is usually always near the same price as a one way because of restrictions in discounting one way tickets.

In all my years, I have never had an airline booking agent or check in staff tell me I needed on onward or a return ticket - without a visa, with a visa etc.

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but I've heard from dozens of people, on the various forums I follow, who've been turned away without an onward ticket. Happens all the time. You've been lucky, or are not doing a large variety of airlines/destinations? I just read about a guy in Singapore flying on Air Asia who was turned away on his flight here. It happens. Happened to me on a flight not long ago to the PI with Ethiad. I did a flight here with a one way and it would have been a problem if I didn't have a visa.

As Nisa says, you're worrying about this too much. With a proper visa you'll have NO problems. Unless of course you consume too much alcohol in flight and get booted off the plane!! drunk.gif

You really think immigration are going to bother someone at entry at swampy if they have a visa in passport?sad.png

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

See it happen all the time.

Do you know why they were denied entry? I've seen lots pulled aside at departure due to overstays, though. Me included!!

You really think immigration are going to bother someone at entry at swampy if they have a visa in passport?sad.png

Do you know why they were denied entry? I've seen lots pulled aside at departure due to overstays, though. Me included!!

I'm one of those "better him than me" types... I just keep going. sorry.gif

It doesn't say denied entry but rather "bothered" and a follow-up post says he hasn't stayed around to see why so I think it is safe to say this is not witnessing somebody with a visa being denied entry. Personally I have never see anyone denied entry going through passport control (regardless of visa or not) though I have seen people who had issues with their passport and they needed to call over a supervisor. In fact, I have never seen anybody even bothered in what must be around 20 times going through passport control but then again never seen a stumbling drunk or somebody acting out either ... though I have seen some fairly skid row-ish looking people pass with no problem.

I could be wrong but I doubt anyone would be denied entry at the counter (in public) but rather taken to a room and explained the situation for numerous reasons including the need to make sure they got back on a plane out of the country.

Edited by Nisa