Three Red Groups Compete For Allegiance From Villages

Three red groups compete for allegiance from villages

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- Red shirts yesterday revisited what many consider to be a shrine or a sanctuary.

Ratchaprasong, however, is symbolic at best. Their real homes are upcountry, and they are taking on a political significance of their own.

"Red-shirt villages" in the North and Northeast now number in the thousands, and their leaders are focused on expanding to the South. This proud show of grass-roots solidarity and political ideology concerns the group's political rivals, and the military. The reds' foray into the Democrat stronghold has met with opposition from locals. Last Monday, a small pavilion set up for the opening of a new red-shirt village in Songkhla's Chana district was burnt down; the Democrats denied any involvement.

The thousands of red-shirt villages were conferred by three groups - the Thai Federation of Red Shirt Villages for Democracy, the Democratic Front of Red Shirt Villages, and National United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), which is closely linked to the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

The federation has even clashed with groups of reds when they got involved with local politics. In Udon Thani, a conflict developed between the federation and a red-shirt group called the Society of Udon Lovers, led by Kwanchai Praipana. After Kwanchai's arrest following the unrest two years ago, Anon Saennan, a journalist who once worked for Kwanchai, came up with the idea of setting up "red-shirt villages" to unite red shirts in rural areas against political changes imposed from Bangkok.

Anon defected from Kwanchai's Society of Udon Lovers and with his followers set up the first "red-shirt village for democracy" in Nong Hoo Ling village of Udon's Muang district. Pheu Thai MPs from Udon and some of the 111 former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party were among the early supporters.

Anon's group set up many red-shirt villages in Udon. Since his release from detention, Kwanchai has voiced opposition to the idea of setting up red-shirt villages.

In October 2011, the Thai Federation of Red Shirt Villages for Democracy was officially set up by Anon and other leaders of red-shirt villages at the urging of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. It now has about 1,000 villages under its influence, with more than 400 of them in Udon and Khon Kaen.Another group, the Democratic Front of Red Shirt Villages, is led by Phetsak Kittidussadeekul, a prominent red-shirt in Udon Thani. The group controls about 200 villages in Udon and Roi Et.

Initially, UDD chairwoman Thida Thawornseth said the group had no policy of setting up red-shirt villages, but as it became clear the village movement was challenging UDD control over the red shirts, Thida got involved. Last November, she presided over the opening of the first UDD red-shirt village in Si Sa Ket's Phu Sing district.

But the UDD still has fewer than 50 such villages, far behind the two other groups.

Red-shirt villages under the three groups carry signs with messages like "Red-shirt villages for democracy" or "red-shirt villages love democracy". But the key difference between them is that villages set up by Anon's and Phetsak's groups also have Thaksin's picture beside the village sign, while UDD villages carry signs that say "Red-shirt villages love democracy", with the UDD logo and Thida's signature - not Thaksin's picture.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-20

Let me hear from the red shirts that they killed innocent people.

Let me hear from them that Thaksin should be held to account from Tak Bai and other deaths.

If they don't accept equality in the law they have no idea what reconciliation is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

Equality in the law?

Do you have any particular equality in mind? The one between the rich and the poor, the one between “influential persons” and common folks, the one between military and civilians, the one between those with dark skin and the white ones, the one between farrangs and locals, the one between cops and accused, the one between Mercedes drivers and pedestrians, the one between farmers and the rice brokers?

You would’t go that far to wish for equality in the law in Thailand in general, would you?

Splendid tactics, United we stand divided we fall.

Perhaps the self destruct button is being pushed by certain people as they feel that the foot soldiers in the Red Shirt movement have served their purpose and of course the interested parties are worried that the Red Shirt movement might obstruct their aims..

One is led to wonder whether there might be a link twixt the self destruct button being pushed and the imminent return of some 111 politicians, all of whom have their own agendas. ?

One can't let the common masses interfere with the possibility of further career advancement in the political arena and of course the financial enrichment that goes hand in hand with such an advancement can one?

Sadly as was prophesied by many in the past the Red Shirt movement membership was and is but a sacrifice upon the altar of political and financial power lust for a small group of self serving characters both here in Thailand and abroad..

You are absolutely right! It is fairly obvious who is controlling the day to day political moves in Thailand. From the unrest in Bangkok to the setting up of red shirts and the many "Red" interpretations of what freedom and democracy means for Thailand. These many factions of the Red movement was anticipated and the desire to split up within time. In time the split of the red shirts will prove to be a major game changer in regards to Thaskin making his way back "above the law" triumph and the the real goal of securing Thailand's future in the world economy.

Splendid tactics, United we stand divided we fall.

Perhaps the self destruct button is being pushed by certain people as they feel that the foot soldiers in the Red Shirt movement have served their purpose and of course the interested parties are worried that the Red Shirt movement might obstruct their aims..

One is led to wonder whether there might be a link twixt the self destruct button being pushed and the imminent return of some 111 politicians, all of whom have their own agendas. ?

One can't let the common masses interfere with the possibility of further career advancement in the political arena and of course the financial enrichment that goes hand in hand with such an advancement can one?

Sadly as was prophesied by many in the past the Red Shirt movement membership was and is but a sacrifice upon the altar of political and financial power lust for a small group of self serving characters both here in Thailand and abroad..

or possibly an attempt to foment unrest and start a civil war. I am increasingly concerned with the direction these various groups seem to be taking. But it certainly does appear they have been dumped by Thaksin and his friends. It all just seems to be getting worse not better.

(quote)

came up with the idea of setting up "red-shirt villages" to unite red shirts in rural areas against political changes imposed from Bangkok.

(quote)

What is "a political change imposed from Bangkok"?

A prohibition to buy votes?

• Like 2

Let me hear from them that Thaksin should be held to account from Tak Bai and other deaths.

If they don't accept equality in the law they have no idea what reconciliation is.

Equality in the law?

Do you have any particular equality in mind? The one between the rich and the poor, the one between “influential persons” and common folks, the one between military and civilians, the one between those with dark skin and the white ones, the one between farrangs and locals, the one between cops and accused, the one between Mercedes drivers and pedestrians, the one between farmers and the rice brokers?

You would’t go that far to wish for equality in the law in Thailand in general, would you?

I would indeed.

Aim for 100% and get to 95% would be a bloody good start.

In all the "redshirt villages" I have passed through many many houses and businesses display the king flags. Not many red flags on houses but many next from the street with signs with Thsksins smug cheating face on it. It looks more like a small group of locals apply for red village status so as to get the "funding" from on high but actually it doesn't mean any much percent of villagers are fervent red zombies. Just a minority trying to impose its self on the majority- the complete opposite of their stated aim of democracy.

• Like 1

In some villages I've seen the signs burnt or painted over (chiang Mao this is). Many are upset that PTP and reds have no lived up to expectations and their cheating laid bare

Chief gripe being they get paid less for their vegetables but all life's essentials have become more expensive

Equality in the law?

You missed his point all together.He said equality in law.

You on the other hand took it as a means to run off in other directions any thing but face equality in law.

Apparently you only believe in some forms of social equality as witnessed by your not asking for equality between the sex;s

Do you not believe in it.sad.png

Edited by hellodolly

The red shirt villages create fascistic enclaves that suppress any opposition; show favoritism to those that comply and ostracize those that do not.

It's great to have a first hand account of what goes on in Red Shirt villages. Actually being on the ground and talking to the people and observing over a period of time what happens there. Where was the village you visited Ian? Or I'd assume villages in the plural to get a real feel for the situation.

The red shirt villages create fascistic enclaves that suppress any opposition; show favoritism to those that comply and ostracize those that do not.

It's great to have a first hand account of what goes on in Red Shirt villages. Actually being on the ground and talking to the people and observing over a period of time what happens there. Where was the village you visited Ian? Or I'd assume villages in the plural to get a real feel for the situation.

w00t.gif

Edited by waza

Thai Federation of Red Shirt Villages for Democracy, the Democratic Front of Red Shirt Villages, and National United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)

If you remember Life of Brian, think what fun Monty Python could have with these turkeys. All the strutting and squabbling to be the head turkey, without enough brains to realise he's still just a turkey.

Ozmick, Life of Brian was the first thing to go through my mind when I saw the different monickers for these groups.

I was musing on the final point .....

What ever happened to the People's Popular Front? .......... he's over there ........... Splitter...!!