Hotel Recommendation Near Sukhumwit?

GreenCurryorDie

Greetings, all. My wife and I are returning to BKK after a long absence. We lived in Omni Tower (Soi 4) previously and enjoy the lower Sukhumwit area. Since I'm sure the city has changed drastically since we were there (2006), I'm asking for recommendations for a hotel, close to Sukh and the BTS. A pool and gym would be nice. Not too expensive, yet not a dive. Someplace to head to from the airport, and maybe stay there if we like it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Royal Ivory is good if your wife is prepared for the occasional older men with younger 'friends' but very helpful staff.

I can give you a more upmarket suggestion just before Omni but it's monthly rental around Thb30,000 (USD$1,000) though that's a large modern apartment. all-inclusive utilities, wi-fi and excellent daily maid service. I stayed there for 6 months last year.

Alternatively, browse through www.agoda.com where, for example, you can book the Royal Ivory cheaper than going direct.

On another note, the Sukhumvit end of Soi 4 can be a real hassle now with extremely slick, light-fingered katoeys, especially Sunday nights. wai.gif

Thanks all for the nice replies to my post. We actually booked Baiyoke (near Panthip Plaza) for the first two nights, and then are thinking of Omni Tower again (thanks for the link on Omni!), Soi 8, or just walking the streets and looking about.

When we lived at Omni Tower, we used to take a short cut over to Soi 8 on the way to the Nana BTS, and there was a lot of construction going on between 4 and 8. Can't wait to see how the area has changed!

Thanks all for the nice replies to my post. We actually booked Baiyoke (near Panthip Plaza) for the first two nights, and then are thinking of Omni Tower again (thanks for the link on Omni!), Soi 8, or just walking the streets and looking about.

When we lived at Omni Tower, we used to take a short cut over to Soi 8 on the way to the Nana BTS, and there was a lot of construction going on between 4 and 8. Can't wait to see how the area has changed!

I stayed at the OMNI tower earlier this year for a week (after getting bored with Nana hotel) and found it was great.

I booked through Agoda and got a 1 bedroom apartment, including breakfast, for about 1500 THB. The apartment was huge and a much nicer experience than staying in a hotel room. I'll be staying there again next month.

Royal Ivory is good if your wife is prepared for the occasional older men with younger 'friends' but very helpful staff.

I can give you a more upmarket suggestion just before Omni but it's monthly rental around Thb30,000 (USD$1,000) though that's a large modern apartment. all-inclusive utilities, wi-fi and excellent daily maid service. I stayed there for 6 months last year.

Alternatively, browse through www.agoda.com where, for example, you can book the Royal Ivory cheaper than going direct.

On another note, the Sukhumvit end of Soi 4 can be a real hassle now with extremely slick, light-fingered katoeys, especially Sunday nights. wai.gif

I checked the hotel bookings of Royal Ivory Hotel on Soi 4 through www.agoda.com. It is the same price (approximately 900 baht per night), so going through that website is pointless. In fact, www.agoda.com advertises falsely. For example, they say on their website that a standard evening in the Royal Ivory Hotel will cost $71 US, and then through them, they "reduce it" to $31 US.

Obviously, $31 US = approximately 900 Thai baht, so don't bother with www.agoda.com. See through their smoke and mirrors act.

I checked the hotel bookings of Royal Ivory Hotel on Soi 4 through www.agoda.com. It is the same price (approximately 900 baht per night), so going through that website is pointless. In fact, www.agoda.com advertises falsely. For example, they say on their website that a standard evening in the Royal Ivory Hotel will cost $71 US, and then through them, they "reduce it" to $31 US.

Obviously, $31 US = approximately 900 Thai baht, so don't bother with www.agoda.com. See through their smoke and mirrors act.

Thanks for the udate. Haven't stayed at the Royal Ivory for 18 months. Booked through Agoda and when I extended my stay the hotel still wouldn't match the Agoda price, but I guess things change.

How are you?

Do you know any apartments or hotels in Bkk near BTS and has Wifi that has an all inclusive monthly rate of approximately 15,000 baht?

Thank you.

If you like to PM I can tell you of one in Soi 4 for 20,000/month, all-inclusive and another I think 18,000.

Thanks for the udate. Haven't stayed at the Royal Ivory for 18 months. Booked through Agoda and when I extended my stay the hotel still wouldn't match the Agoda price, but I guess things change.

Not necessarily.

Hotels have a rack rate which is what you pay if you just rock up and ask for a room. This is usually the highest rate.

They also have an internet rate which is cheaper and requires booking on the internet, whether or not you are already in the hotel as you found out.

Hotels that use Agoda and the like search engines may have lower or higher internet rates than you find on the search engine but what they have in common is that it is the hotel that enters the rates on the search engine themselves.

So the higher rate you see will be the rack rate and the lower rate the internet rate, hence the 'saving' displayed by all the search engines sites.

When a hotel and Agoda have the same rate it is always better to use Agoda as you accumulate points towards free nights across any hotels which would not be available if you book direct with a hotel unless it is a chain with a 'frequent sleeper' programme. Even then it is only available for use within their own chain and not transferrable to other hotels.