Walen School Of Film - Imovie/Final Cut Pro X Free Seminar

MacWalen

Hi guys, just testing the water to see if any users of Macs in Chiang Mai would be interested in getting together at Walen for a free seminar to get more familiar with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Walen is starting a film school in Bangkok soon and I thought there might be enough interested people to make it work in Chiang Mai as well.

Filmmaking is a very useful skill and these days with available tools it is much easier than in the past. Also it would be a great opportunity to get to know others who are interested in filmmaking. Perhaps we have some experienced filmmakers also who could contribute or even run regular classes at Walen Chiang Mai ( as I am based in Bangkok).

What about starting a Walen Chiang Mai filmmakers club? Or perhaps there is already a filmmakers club in Chiang Mai (I am not aware of one) These are just some of my ideas.

Please contribute and let us know what you think. Suggestions are most welcome.

Walen School of Film - Chiang Mai branch

What about starting a filmmakers club that has nothing to do with Walen or advertising or self promotion "guys"?

Dru2, maybe there is one already. I don't know. Are you interested to join the free seminar? Do you have a Mac?

I am almost willing to pay double what Walen pays for advertising to ban him from spamming his promotions.

Well, just kidding.

Yes, there are many filmakers and groups dedicated to film making in CM. Most that I know don't use mac though. Final cut is a good program but I must admit that I am totally addicted to After Effects, so I tend to use the Adobe products.

As for film school, is it filmmaking or editing? Two unrelated skills.

For those that are actually interested and don't want to spend one baht and still want to learn a lot. Look into the free tutorials offered by creative cow, and video copilot. Some of the tutorials are incredible.

• Like 2

The way I look at it is that an amatour fimmaker needs to have both skills. DSLR filmmaking is a big thing now. After that you need to edit it. The same as a photographer needs to use Aperture or Lightroom and Photoshop. I am a Mac user so I like to use Mac software.

Sure, there are millions of tutorials on youtube and various websites.

Macwalen, any info on the BKK school, need any experienced teachers?

It is an early stage in Bkk also but we will certainly need teachers. We are fixing our office in Times Square now, I think 1-2 months. Feel free to add me to your Facebook. Mac Walen, easy to find.

The problem with most amateur film makers is that they suck. Especially at sound which to me is the most important and most overlooked skill. There are many skills invloved with making a quality production not just two. However it is rare to find someone with all skills. Basic editing is rather simple, but clean eidts take a lot of practice.

I would wish you luck on your venture, but you don't believe in luck just self promotion. Otherwise how could someone be fluent in so many languages, expert surfer, Business, guru, now videographer.

sounds more like a jack of all trades master of none.

I don't know what it is about you that really gets under my collar, but I must admit that I find you and your self promotion annoying.

Perhaps put links of your video expertise on here so we know how good you really are.

• Like 1

What's this all about? there are lots of video men in CM, some use Macs( I do) and some use PCs, many use Adobe PP, some use Sony Vegas, some use Final Cut. I work with someone who is a very experienced BBC man - he uses a PC I use a Mac. We sometimes uses a Panny GH2 ( like a DSLR) as a back up. We both use PP. This is all confusing. We are very interested in people who are genuinely interested in videography, we have lots of projects in mind ( we've recently worked with a friend who has a small 'sexcopter' ( a six fanned remotely controlled helicopter) and a GoPro and got great aerial shots.

If anyone is really interested in getting together, without any 'Macs'/'PC' 'FCP' Adobe' distinction, PM me.

The problem with most amateur film makers is that they suck. Especially at sound which to me is the most important and most overlooked skill. There are many skills invloved with making a quality production not just two. However it is rare to find someone with all skills. Basic editing is rather simple, but clean eidts take a lot of practice.

I would wish you luck on your venture, but you don't believe in luck just self promotion. Otherwise how could someone be fluent in so many languages, expert surfer, Business, guru, now videographer.

I don't know what it is about you that really gets under my collar, but I must admit that I find you and your self promotion annoying.

Perhaps put links of your video expertise on here so we know how good you really are.

I think the problem is that Mr Walen is confusing Chiang Mai with Pattaya and Phuket.

A lot more of the expatriates up here are permanent residents who already speak (yes, Mr. Walen, and read and write) Thai, have annual visas or are permanent residents, pay tax and... in short, have no need of a wide boy flogging something pretty obvious other than Thai language skills. It gets under my collar too - so please, go peddle your dodgy wares elsewhere!

What about starting a filmmakers club that has nothing to do with Walen or advertising or self promotion "guys"?

Totally agree, PM me , there's an embryonic 'Video Club' associated with the Expats Club. Very informal and badly organised ( I am the link!!!!!) Try the expats club for more info or PM me and see my other post

I think the problem is that Mr Walen is confusing Chiang Mai with Pattaya and Phuket.

A lot more of the expatriates up here are permanent residents who already speak (yes, Mr. Walen, and read and write) Thai, have annual visas or are permanent residents, pay tax and... in short, have no need of a wide boy flogging something pretty obvious other than Thai language skills. It gets under my collar too - so please, go peddle your dodgy wares elsewhere!

Dru2, I am very well aware of it. You however making a mistake hinting that those who live in Pattaya or Phuket are of lower class, is that your meaning? Perhaps all are sex tourists, and only residents of CM are the noblest of all expats? That cannot be true. Lots of quality expatriates all over Thailand. It was not very nice of you to say that.

Totally agree, PM me , there's an embryonic 'Video Club' associated with the Expats Club. Very informal and badly organised ( I am the link!!!!!) Try the expats club for more info or PM me and see my other post

So there is a proper filmmakers club or not? You are confusing me guys.

I am good at organizing things, also I like learning and I believe I am a quick learner too. I will hire people to teach of course, if you are a good filmmaker or editor and are interested in teaching you can already apply. I invited you dear friends for a free seminar. Means nobody pays for it. I get the regular Walen bashing (I am used to it). Can't we just be friends, life is much better this way.

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

I don't know, Mr. Mac, never took his classes, just read his posts and one thing that has impressed me is that he can take an abusive attack post and not respond in kind, he just turns it around and stays positive.

On this thread yes. But on others he wasn't as polite.

But what kind of promoter /sales person reacts to rejection and criticism. To me it is a sign that he is fos, and not a gentle person, but I'm a synic.

Personally, I think that he will be succesful and even if he isn't he will deal with it. But for me, I believe in focussing on one thing and his schools are branching into too many different fields.

I don't know, Mr. Mac, never took his classes, just read his posts and one thing that has impressed me is that he can take an abusive attack post and not respond in kind, he just turns it around and stays positive.

Yes you're right, it's an excellent skill to have. Many politicians have it also.

As someone who both worked professionally as a filmmaker in Los Angeles, Chiang Mai, and now currently teaches film editing at NYU Tisch Asia in Singapore, I think this would be a great idea!

The local talent pool in Thailand for film and television crews is first rate. However, there are very few places where you can learn the basics, and pretty much the system relies on apprenticeships and on the job training. Again this process produces some first class crews, but the amount of people that can go through this system is very low.

Not everyone wants to do this crazy film thing as a career, so having training available for enthusiasts and people who want to make better youtube films would be quite valuable I think. Good luck to you!

Thanks jaiyenjohn for joining. We are attracting real professionals now. So happy to see it! Perhaps there is someone who would like to be a speaker at the seminar. Anybody interested to help? I am not a professional filmmaker and would welcome help of pros.