Credit Card Game?

curtklay

It's good here though about how they check the signature matches the one on the card several times though. You can never be too careful.

I have never seen my signature checked against my card in all the years I've been both visiting and living here. They don't care about that because as long as the machine clears the card and issues the doc's they have finished as far as they are concerned. Never had the problem the OP talks about either.

ok. you guys are freaking me out. i might just cancel my credit card and just do payment in cash

Better still, keep the card locked in the safe for emergencies or big ticket expenditures like air tickets or new computers and use your local ATM card instead.

ok. you guys are freaking me out. i might just cancel my credit card and just do payment in cash

Better still, keep the card locked in the safe for emergencies or big ticket expenditures like air tickets or new computers and use your local ATM card instead.

Nope. That's not good advice. With baht at 31.4 per US dollar, reward points for every dollar spent, and no fee for foreign transactions, my Visa card is the preferred way to purchase groceries over cash that I transferred at less than 30 baht per dollar. Another point is the credit card companies may cancel the card if you don't use it at least occasionally.

I found it interesting that posters say European issued cards require a PIN number. That's not the case with US cards. All the clerk has to do is swipe the card, and push the right buttons. I will continue using my card.

Nope. That's not good advice. With baht at 31.4 per US dollar, reward points for every dollar spent, and no fee for foreign transactions, my Visa card is the preferred way to purchase groceries over cash that I transferred at less than 30 baht per dollar. Another point is the credit card companies may cancel the card if you don't use it at least occasionally.

I found it interesting that posters say European issued cards require a PIN number. That's not the case with US cards. All the clerk has to do is swipe the card, and push the right buttons. I will continue using my card.

I have a Canadian issued card that comes from an American Bank, it's not a Canadian requirement. My CC company's website says all their cards now have a chip and require the use of a PIN. The last time I was in Canada, the use of a PIN was spotty at best. Some retailers/hotels required it, some didn't. It has more to do with the retailer than the issuing bank/provider, as well as being a technology issue. In Thailand, If I take a cash advance from the Bank of Bangkok, my PIN is required, if I use it at Central Department store across the hall, it's not needed. It varies.

And how much does it cost you to pay the credit card bill?

Well, it costs me whatever my charges amount to. No extra fees. The bill is in US dollars, paid from a US bank so as long as the exchange rate keeps giving me more baht per dollar, I win.

Keep in mind that many posters here don't have cards where they simply deny the charges and the whole transaction is automatically reversed, the merchant has the burden of proof not the consumer. This may be a US-only thing - can posters from other farang countries comment on if that's the case with theirs?

I believe this isn't the case anywhere in Asia.

Note that in the American market fraud is not that significant, so the costs are just passed on to the consumer in fees etc, much cheaper for the banks and merchants than implementing more secure technology.

Same with Internet banking fraud.

Many vendors and financial services just block Asian-based consumers completely because the fraud is just off the charts over here.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Maybe she's skimming the till and trying to get people to pay cash.

tills cannot be skimmed like this anymore (maybe in a bar,nite club or hotel ,not in big c or 7/11)

staff mistakes are not really tolerated ,

a few baht missing once will get you a written warning

another mistake again your fired

(if its substancialy light it would be a police matter also )

everything is barcoded and the computer tallies it all up .....so the only way the employee can steal is by having a friend come in

and passing items through the checkout area without scaning their barcodes ,thus helping the items into the bag without the computer

in the till registering (they can split/share the profits later )

this is all recorded on cctv above every till so anyone doing it will be nailed at some stage ,not worth the hassle for a few measly baht

And:

1). Most stores (in Thailand and elsewhere) employ an outside 'secret shopper' service. These folks check many things, including just standing around watching whether items are not being scanned.

2). Unless it's changed recently, and I doubt it, cashiers in Thailand have to pay a hefty cash deposit to the company before they start work, and/or have another person sign as their guarantor. And I know that at least two high profile store operators in Thailand (I won't mention their names) demand that the guarantors pay up if their is any issue.

Well, it costs me whatever my charges amount to. No extra fees. The bill is in US dollars, paid from a US bank so as long as the exchange rate keeps giving me more baht per dollar, I win.

Only if your bank doesn't charge you to transfer money to your CC company.

My card issuer and bank are 2 different entities so it's not economical for me to make small purchases like weekly shopping on the card.

worthwhile to consider a local bank account with a debit card...I use my UK credit card very infrequently and only for large purchases...ye get 'stepped on' so many times with bad exchange rates and extra charges that it ain't worth it...keep yer funds somewhere secure off shore and do the occasional transfer to yer thai local account for the usual expenses...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

It pays to shop around for the best card. The card I use in Thailand does not charge a fee for foreign transactions, converts purchases made in baht to dollars at current exchange rate, has no annual fee, and gives me 1% back in cash. My bank does not charge me to transfer money to the card company.

Other cards I have charge 3% for foreign transactions. Needless to say, they don't get used here. I have an ATM debit card for my Thai bank account, but can't see any reason to use it for purchases. Transferring money from my US account to my Thai account hits me with a transfer fee, and a lesser exchange rate.

Keep in mind that many posters here don't have cards where they simply deny the charges and the whole transaction is automatically reversed, the merchant has the burden of proof not the consumer. This may be a US-only thing - can posters from other farang countries comment on if that's the case with theirs?

I believe this isn't the case anywhere in Asia.

Note that in the American market fraud is not that significant, so the costs are just passed on to the consumer in fees etc, much cheaper for the banks and merchants than implementing more secure technology.

Same with Internet banking fraud.

Many vendors and financial services just block Asian-based consumers completely because the fraud is just off the charts over here.

about 75% of stuff on ebay.co.uk ive noticed ,sellers refuse to ship to thailand

(the whole chargeback thing )

really annoying when u see something u want at a really good price and the vendor is afraid to sell it to you in case you steal it

and pull a paypal chargeback on him

i suppose thats the price we pay to live in the Land Of Scams ,but we save money in other ways that european and americans cant

so it all works itself out :)

Ah the Debit card biggrin.png

Just returned from 3 weeks holiday in Belgium where you can use your ATM card to pay for everything including petrol stations, also has cash functionality called "Proton" where you can charge up to 125 euro to the chip and pay for your bread at the bakery.

Not going to have that functionality any time soon in Thailand whistling.gif

If using a local Thai CC, it makes perfect sense to make most purchases with your credit card

At the supermarket, I get 10% discount on all purchases made with the card, plus earn points for addition cash gift certificates

At the gas station, get 8% cash back on gasoline purchases and earn point for gift certificates

Pay off the card at the end of the month and no interest

I try to use cash as little as possible to maximize benefits

Edited by CWMcMurray
  • Like 1

worthwhile to consider a local bank account with a debit card...I use my UK credit card very infrequently and only for large purchases...ye get 'stepped on' so many times with bad exchange rates and extra charges that it ain't worth it...keep yer funds somewhere secure off shore and do the occasional transfer to yer thai local account for the usual expenses...

Exactly what I do.

The CC gets used for airtickets and hotel bookings or big ticket purchases like computers where I want the charge back possibility if the product is duff or doesn't appear (if purchased online)

If using a local Thai CC, it makes perfect sense to make most purchases with your credit card

At the supermarket, I get 10% discount on all purchases made with the card, plus earn points for addition cash gift certificates

At the gas station, get 8% cash back on gasoline purchases and earn point for gift certificates

Sounds great. Borrow money one moth for free and get discount on purchases on top of that. When pigs fly. blink.png

Sounds great. Borrow money one moth for free and get discount on purchases on top of that. When pigs fly. blink.png

That's exactly how it works, but only if you do pay it off in full before the deadline.

The merchants wear most of the discounting, looking to drive traffic from higher-income consumers into their location, eg gas stations make most profits from drinks and snacks sold.

The bank makes it money back don't you worry on all those people that get caught short end of the month, then the fees and interest kicks in when they debt doesn't get paid off sometimes for years. . .

Pigs aren't flying but that is still how it works...

Last year we did not pay any interest charges or fees as we paid every bill in full at the end of every month and received total benefits of aprox 40,000 thb in refunds on gas, discount at supermarket & the mall department store and 1,800 thb in gift certificates for the Mall

You may want to re-evaluate your position in cc as they do not give out bonus points or discounts for paying in cash, but the reality is that they do for cc purchases

• Like 1