Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

Farmer with slim young wife in Thailand Vs single unemployed guy living in bedsit in UK

Not much to think about for me really.

Though I agree, the traditional capitalist consumer from the west might not find Thailand to their taste.

(especially if they don't want slim younger women)

Right on !

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked online to see some hotel prices in the west and it's unreal. Do they think everyone is a billionaire? blink.png

I'm quite happy with my $1 meals and $15 hotel rooms here in S.E.A.

Cheapest hotels are here, in Bangkok

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok offers the least expensive four-star accommodation of world cities rated by the TripAdvisor Tripindex, at less than one-quarter the cost of those in London on average.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562396-bangkok-offers-the-least-expensive-four-star-accommodation-of-world-cities-survey/

funny, i just googled some stuff and after 5seconds i found bed and breakfast in every single large city of the world for 1.5kbaht~

Better not look 5mins for clean motels? I might actually get cheaper prices than 2-4star hotels in bangkok and blow all your minds.

Btw as a frequent hotel user i have found hotels very cheap in thailand, yes. But everything is spent on appearnce. The beds are always shitty or simply acceptable. Theres rarely more than 3 tv channels, the pools are always closed and the toilets are never very clean unless you spend 2k+ baht per night. Hotel's restaurant is rarely good but always overpriced. I remember my last 4 star in kuala lumpur i paid less than any 3-4 star hotel in bangkok but yet they had a 5 star restaurant and bed. No ketchup spaghetti

While in other s.e.a countries you actually get some really nice rooms, some amazing food and a great mattress/tv for the same price as bangkok and in western countries you pay a bit more but still get better than what you'd get in most hotels here. Few exceptions but not that many. Very disapointed in most big names in central bangkok.

Edited by Hostile17

Speaking from the POV of a mother, baby strollers are much more expensive in thailand!

Yes maybe but at least you don't have to buy them by the dusin. I am on the 2'nd baby stroller now, the 1st one looked so battered that my wife got angry and demanded that we buy a new one. The 2nd looks pretty hammered now but our boy is fortanely growing out of them now.

Dumac power milk for infants is very expensive too but I don't know the price in the West.

A lot of Thai prices out of control, regarding the often low standards.

Example:

Guest House at the beach, Hua Hin. No sea views. 2500 B.

Hotel at the beach, Langkawi, Malaysia, with balcony at beach: 1400 B.

You can do cheaper at both places, but recently I rarely pay less then 2000 B for acceptable hotels in Thailand. And I'm not talking 5 star.

A lot of Thai prices out of control, regarding the often low standards.

Example:

Guest House at the beach, Hua Hin. No sea views. 2500 B.

Hotel at the beach, Langkawi, Malaysia, with balcony at beach: 1400 B.

You can do cheaper at both places, but recently I rarely pay less then 2000 B for acceptable hotels in Thailand. And I'm not talking 5 star.

Which seasons are you talking about: High or low, huge difference on all the resort places on that. Okay on Phuket I find it hard to get a decent hotel in Patong Beach for less than 1500-2000 in low season, but everything down there is expensive compared to the rest of Thailand.

Which seasons are you talking about: High or low, huge difference on all the resort places on that. Okay on Phuket I find it hard to get a decent hotel in Patong Beach for less than 1500-2000 in low season, but everything down there is expensive compared to the rest of Thailand.

Both were low season prices.

Guest House in Hua Hin for 2500 B, probably the most expensive GH I have ever seen. Ridiculous. It even didn't have sea view, no balcony, just a small, but clean room, TV, refrigerator. Next door hotel was around 5000 B, for plain rooms.

I know you can get cheaper in Pattaya, and some other places. There are also some good deals in off season here and there. But if you don't want to stay backpacker-style, Thailand is no longer cheap. And even backpacker: friend told me recently about a very crappy GH at Rambutri, near Khao San, for 600 B. No a/c, you get the picture.

When i left my home country, the fee to pay the electric bill was the equal of 2 beers in a go-go here in Thailand.

Take note, it wasnt the electric bill, it was the fee i had to pay to pay the bill.

There was no go-go in the city where i grew up, but i read in newspaper that the entrance fee was the equal of 5000 baht.

Beats me what a beer mite have cost there but i'm fairly certain it wasn't 60 baht.

Now in thailand when i go to 7-11 and pay the electric, i'm also fairly certain that the fee they charge for letting me pay the bill

is less than what 2 beers in a go-go that charges 5000 baht just to let me in will cost.

IIRC, the insurance for a bike for 3 month was around 50.000 baht,

well the whole year here is 700 baht give or take.

And dont get me started on the cost of hiring mechanics for fixing a bike, car or whatever

Edited by poanoi

When i left my home country, the fee to pay the electric bill was the equal of 2 beers in a go-go here in Thailand.

Take note, it wasnt the electric bill, it was the fee i had to pay to pay the bill.

There was no go-go in the city where i grew up, but i read in newspaper that the entrance fee was the equal of 5000 baht.

Beats me what a beer mite have cost there but i'm fairly certain it wasn't 60 baht.

Now in thailand when i go to 7-11 and pay the electric, i'm also fairly certain that the fee they charge for letting me pay the bill

is less than what 2 beers in a go-go that charges 5000 baht just to let me in will cost.

IIRC, the insurance for a bike for 3 month was around 50.000 baht,

well the whole year here is 700 baht give or take.

And dont get me started on the cost of hiring mechanics for fixing a bike, car or whatever

Go ahead and start. The woe is me in Thailand bunch need to hear it.

• Like 1

Both were low season prices.

Guest House in Hua Hin for 2500 B, probably the most expensive GH I have ever seen. Ridiculous. It even didn't have sea view, no balcony, just a small, but clean room, TV, refrigerator. Next door hotel was around 5000 B, for plain rooms.

I know you can get cheaper in Pattaya, and some other places. There are also some good deals in off season here and there. But if you don't want to stay backpacker-style, Thailand is no longer cheap. And even backpacker: friend told me recently about a very crappy GH at Rambutri, near Khao San, for 600 B. No a/c, you get the picture.

I think us living in S.E.A. are a bit spoiled and used to very cheap hotels. Expect places like Singapore where nothing decent below app. 4-5000 bath can be had. Some resorts like Pattaya/Phuket are typically occupied +95% during high season which will reflect hotel prices, best to come on a package deal like the Indians/Russians and so on.

Thankfully I live in a house here in Thailand so hotel prices is a minor thing for me, but if I pack the car and the family goes on holiday I normally check/book via Agoda so I am not into a nasty surprise. We also try to go in the low season but that more to avoid the crowds no so much the prices.

I think us living in S.E.A. are a bit spoiled and used to very cheap hotels. Expect places like Singapore where nothing decent below app. 4-5000 bath can be had.

Singapore hotels can be more expensive than even Tokyo. I know of a decent, but very small, hotel in China town which goes for around 3000B. This is probably the cheapest decent option I found so far.

But comparing to Malaysia, Thailand does no longer lead. Malaysia is much better developed than Thailand, including education levels, income etc. And until recently it was more expensive. This has changed now, and I can get better deals in Malaysia than in Thailand. See my above example from Langkawi. Langkawi is the "Koh Samui of Malaysia". Not a cheap place too, but it is now more reasonable priced with higher standards in lodging, food, cleanliness etc. than many Thai beach resorts.

Hookers arent part of most people's life.

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

WOW as I have been reading this thread I must scratch my head and say <deleted>.

I don't know "Most Men". I know my friends and all of them would say yes to a pretty woman (they are all single) if the cost was as low as Thailand. Most of my friends have an ex-wife or 2 or 3. I won't even get into what that cost.

The orginal question in post 1 was "Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?" The last word is "you" so all here are correct even those that say it costs them less, same or more.

Edited by CrazyKid

Hookers arent part of most people's life.

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Maybe most men would not admit to having sex with a prostitute, but if she was attractive and not expensive there are very few men who would turn her down.

• Like 1

Depend a whole lot on how many times he got infested with gonorrhea shit from hell bah.gif

Sure wish the forum software here let me downvote instead of just up.

We did have a like and dislike, BUT some didn't like being given dislike so it was abolished. wink.png It was a really good ad on. Made me think when l got a dislike. wai.gif

We did have a like and dislike, BUT some didn't like being given dislike so it was abolished. It was a really good ad on. Made me think when l got a dislike.

Yes, I don't mean just something people use to show they disagree.

I'd much rather see thoughtful opinions disagreeing with me, as long as it contributes to the discussion.

Perhaps a "report off-topic total dickishness", get too many of those and you can only post once an hour or something.

Explaining with words why you agree or disagree with a point of view will

contribute a whole lot more than a click on a like/no-like button can ever accomplish,

but this is subject of another topic

Edited by poanoi

contribute a whole lot more than a click on a like/no-like button can ever accomplish,

For sure, but some folk DO NOT post, thats OK, but they can like or dislike. I thought it was cool. JT didn't. whistling.gif

Sometimes a post is just so beyond the pale it's not worth the effort to articulate the obvious.

Maybe the old-school killfile concept where you can simply make sure you don't see any more messages from that particular poster would be a better solution.

Sometimes a post is just so beyond the pale it's not worth the effort to articulate the obvious.

Maybe the old-school killfile concept where you can simply make sure you don't see any more messages from that particular poster would be a better solution.

You can you just block,them I think your able to do this on TV infact pretty sure.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

You can you just block,them I think your able to do this on TV infact pretty sure.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yeh, you can, but sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't agree. Many different subjects that require different knowledge. Go with the flow. biggrin.png

Yeh, you can, but sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't agree. Many different subjects that require different knowledge. Go with the flow. biggrin.png

Yep, Transam and I can go at each other like crazy over tyre pressure .... but on many other subjects we are in agreement.

If I were to put Transam on 'ignore' just because he has no idea about the best tyre pressures in his car, I would never see the many subjects we agree on.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Yep, Transam and I can go at each other like crazy over tyre pressure .... but on many other subjects we are in agreement.

If I were to put Transam on 'ignore' just because he has no idea about the best tyre pressures in his car, I would never see the many subjects we agree on.

Rock on bud. thumbsup.gif