My Galaxy Note Got Ics Today.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the new version of Android..the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 operating system which replaces the old 3.0 Gingerbread.

Many new features I believe, and some more controls like being able to disable some apps which came with the phone and use better alternatives or just not use ones which we don't need and use space and resources....etc.

Anybody ever read any specifics on how these upgrades are rolled out? I understand they try to regulate them so that their servers can handle the load and it's not all happening at once. What I haven't heard though is how the selection is made? How is the order determined of who gets it first, last, or in the middle of the roll-out? And more importantly, how long is the roll-out period? Is there some future date already established by which all users should have been offered the upgrade?

Edited by Sam Drucker

I understand they try to regulate them so that their servers can handle the load and it's not all happening at once.

I think your understanding is incorrect.

There are ~ 60 different software releases for the N7000 (Note), country and/or carrier specific. Each release needs to be developed ('localized'), QAed and released. Once released any/all are available for download. Samsung does not meter releases based on server loads.

Just looking at the releases I'd guesstimate ~ 20% of the ICS packs for the Note have been released to date.

The release for the Thai version, typically a unit purchased here in Thailand via the Samsung subsidiary (not a grey-market import or one that "fell off the truck" wink.png ) , is available dated May 14, 2012:

Product Code: GT-N7000ZBATHL

Latest firmware: N7000DXLP9/N7000OLBLP6/N7000DXLP5/N7000DXLP9

Modified: 5/14/2012 7:56:56 PM

Filename: GT-N7000_THL_1_20120514195630_51r4gxjn4p.zip.enc2

In most cases a user needs to proactively seek out the update, say via KiES or an FOTA request. In some cases, like a service provider branded unit, they may choose to push it in a controlled, automated, synchronized manner.

End users can also download the update, decrypt and flash it using Odin.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1032437

post-9615-0-34265900-1337848184_thumb.jp

I have been trying to upgrade to ICS with Kies but keeping getting an error on the second download part which I assume is the firmware itself. It seems the Samsung server is busy since I only get 0%. I've tried late at night and during the day.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

I got it on my Note via Kies yesterday.

I think you have a HKG (TGY) version?

That update just popped over the past two days, even though the release is dated May 16.

Product Code: GT-N7000ZBATGY

Latest firmware: N7000ZSLPF/N7000OZSLPF/N7000XXLR1/N7000ZSLPF

Modified: 5/16/2012 2:53:43 PM

Filename: GT-N7000_TGY_1_20120516143703_jalrcz9x7w.zip.enc2

I got it on my Note via Kies yesterday.

I think you have a HKG (TGY) version?

That update just popped over the past two days, even though the release is dated May 16.

Product Code: GT-N7000ZBATGY

Latest firmware: N7000ZSLPF/N7000OZSLPF/N7000XXLR1/N7000ZSLPF

Modified: 5/16/2012 2:53:43 PM

Filename: GT-N7000_TGY_1_20120516143703_jalrcz9x7w.zip.enc2

Yes, thats the one I got on the Hong Kong purchased Note.

I have a Galaxy Note GT-N7000B. Purchased in Thailand from DTAC in late February 2012. I assume everybody else here that's gotten the upgrade has the GT-N7000?

I'm not sure what the difference is with the "B" model, but if I'm understanding FUS Downloader correctly, it is a model specific to Thailand, as that is the only country choice for it. It appears the GT-N7000 is also a legitimate model for the Thai market, and perhaps the more common model? It appears to have distribution in numerous countries.

As I'm seeing it on FUS Downloader, the ICS upgrade is not available yet for the 7000B. The file date shows January 11, 2012.

Any ideas what the difference is in the "B" model?

MartinBKK: Is your DTAC Note also a GT-N7000B?

GalaxyNoteBox1.jpg

From the Box:

I recall them telling me that in the model number above GT-N7000ZBBTHL, the B indicates it is a DTAC model. If AIS, it would be an A. "THL" indicates Thailand.

AboutscreenAndroid2-3-6.jpg

About Phone screen

CheckFus.jpg

Edited by Sam Drucker

There is an FCC filing for an N7000B for AT&T which indicates the only difference is the additional support for 802.11a (5 Ghz WiFi), but its not 100% clear that this is a N7000B in that sense (even though the model number is listed as N7000B).

Based on the model numbering scheme it seems like an N7000 variant?

GT-N7000RWATHL AIS White

GT-N7000ZBATHL AIS Blue

GT-N7000RWBTHL Dtac/True White

GT-N7000ZBBTHL Dtac/True Blue

Maybe contact DTAC, or Samsung, to see what they might offer in the way of guidance re: an upgrade path to 4.0.x

You could flash the N7000 THL release, or any other for that matter, understanding that any modifications like this carry an inherent, albeit small, risk - like a loss of power during the flash. Worst case you might not have 802.11a support, which is probably not an issue as you are not using it? (Do you have a dual-band router at home?)

I'll swing by the DTAC shop to see what they have to say. Not sure if this is a DTAC issue or a Samsung issue, but I imagine the upgrade will follow soon. I'd sooner wait for the upgrade, rather than possibly encounter time-consuming irregularities from trying to install a different version (that potentially creates a whole new set of unknowns.)

By the way, for those wondering why they call a black phone "blue": In certain kinds of light, the "black" back on the Galaxy Note shows blue sparkles. I first noticed this on an international night flight. I turned on the reading light and was popping the back off my phone to change SIMs. The reading light showed the blue sparkles. Can also see them sometimes in direct sunlight. Most of the time however, my phone is in a jacket protector.

I updated my Note through cable to the PC and Kies. Worked fine, at least the update.

But again, like for my Galaxy S2, some apps got lost and I had to painfully search for them in the PlayStore. This is a bit annoying.

I updated an SGS2 recently, using Odin, and did not experience any loss of applications or app. data. This SGS2 had a gazillion apps, games, launchers and all came back up. *

Assuming you are logged into to your gmail account associated with the Play Store, and when you go into the Play Store, press Menu, select My Apps, you should see the apps. which the store has associated with your account, and device(s).

Were a lot of apps missing? A few? Anything in common?

My personal devices are rooted and I use the paid version of Titanium Back-up to routinely back-up and restore apps.

I think there are some apps available which allwo you to back up apps., not sure how good they are? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup&hl=en

* Note that a very small set of apps. do not work with ICS so you may need to wait for those developers to release ICS-compatible versions. I've only run in to a few so far; I've been running ICS for ~ 6 months or so.

I have a Galaxy Note GT-N7000B. Purchased in Thailand from DTAC in late February 2012. I assume everybody else here that's gotten the upgrade has the GT-N7000?

I'm not sure what the difference is with the "B" model, but if I'm understanding FUS Downloader correctly, it is a model specific to Thailand, as that is the only country choice for it. It appears the GT-N7000 is also a legitimate model for the Thai market, and perhaps the more common model? It appears to have distribution in numerous countries.

As I'm seeing it on FUS Downloader, the ICS upgrade is not available yet for the 7000B. The file date shows January 11, 2012.

Any ideas what the difference is in the "B" model?

MartinBKK: Is your DTAC Note also a GT-N7000B?

GalaxyNoteBox1.jpg

From the Box:

I recall them telling me that in the model number above GT-N7000ZBBTHL, the B indicates it is a DTAC model. If AIS, it would be an A. "THL" indicates Thailand.

AboutscreenAndroid2-3-6.jpg

About Phone screen

CheckFus.jpg

Yes mine is the "B" model

On May 22, just after charging my battery .... Samsung message of new update available.

I use the USB version of Kies.

Started Kies, attached my GT-N7000 Galaxy Note (purchased from a Samsung dealer in Pattaya, unlocked).

1 hour later I had the update completed and my phone is now ICS 4.0.3, working perfectly.

Took about 2 days for the battery to settle down, now have longer battery life than with

Gingerbread 2.3.6

DXLP9,DXLP5,DXLP6 ..... the official Thai update for my Thai phone.

wallyc

Any information on the update for the 7000b? Still nothing for me and I'm tempted to root in the next few days.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

I got a little info last night at a retail DTAC shop here in Khon Kaen. I'm going down to the Samsung service center this afternoon to try and get some more (and better) information. I'll get back on here with what I find out later.

In search of an answer to the question "When will the upgrade to Android 4.0 for the Galaxy Note GT-N7000B be available? ", I visited a DTAC retail office in Khon Kaen last night. In addition, I visited a Samsung Service Center in Khon Kaen this afternoon. It was interesting, not just for what I was told, but for some of the reactions I observed at times, and mis-conceptions that exist within the DTAC and Samsung camps.

I’ll start by defining a Galaxy Note GT-N7000B as best I can. According to the CheckFusDownloder, the GT-N7000B is a model only sold in Thailand. Conversely, the GT-N7000 is sold in 30+ countries. So being late with this upgrade may come down to Samsung prioritizing their releases to get the most customers converted first, and there being much smaller numbers of this specific model sold to date.

The "B" model is associated with DTAC, and (possibly?) True. The perceived difference is that it is somehow uniquely qualified to handle the 850 MHz 3G networks of DTAC and True. We’ve been through discussions on the board here before about real vs. perceived differences in these models. Suffice it to say, there must be something different that warrants the B model designation, and certainly the different firmware and the fact it is delayed for this model (compared to the GT-N7000.)

Yesterday I visited DTAC’s office at Central Plaza in Khon Kaen. I explained the situation, they checked internally, then placed a call to Samsung. They said the upgrade is not ready yet for the GT-N7000B, but gave no indication of when. The DTAC rep told me the difference in the B model is because of the 850 MHz 3G spec. I pointed out that might be partially true. I then proceeded to show him the "H" symbol displaying on my phone, indicating it is receiving the HSPDA (3G) network, and pointed out I’m using an AIS SIM card in it. He was shocked at this news.

Today, I went to the Samsung Service Center in Khon Kaen. Upon raising the upgrade question, the frontline staff seemed to be immediately aware of the issue with the GT-N7000B. They’d obviously been asked before. At first there was an English breakdown, and it sounded as though they were telling me there would be no upgrade for the B model. I eventually cleared that up to it not being available now. When I didn’t bite on accepting their non-answer about when the upgrade would be available, the manager suggested I call their call center and handed me the number. (Why the hell did I come down here then??) I handed the number back to her and suggested she call. Then we would both know the answer. biggrin.png She called, and got the same non-committal answer that it was not ready now.

I also asked the question of installing the GT-N7000 firmware on my phone, thus converting it to a "7000"? They talked with a technician a bit. The answer seemed to be "Yes, I could, but then it would no longer work with the 850 MHz 3G frequency. It would just work with the AIS 900 MHz frequency. I then pointed out again (as I did with DTAC) that I have an AIS SIM in my phone now, and I’m pulling in an "H" indicator for 3G. They seemed shocked also. Apparently the propaganda about the capabilities of these different "DTAC" and "AIS" phones is misunderstood even within the DTAC and Samsung organizations.

So, for us "B" owners, now we come down to waiting for the upgrade, rooting, or converting. These are my thoughts: I prefer a stock phone. I don’t like introducing unknowns, and the time involved to chase them. I further dislike it if an attempted conversion goes awry. Nor do I like voided warranty issues.

Knowing how organizations like Samsung operate, if it was sanctioned to convert a GT-N7000B to a GT-N7000 model, there would be a document (probably multi-page) explaining all of the procedures involved, and all of the changes (or consequences) of the change. If attempted now, we have none of that information to benefit from. We also do not know if there are any hardware differences in these two models. Because of the reasons above, I also (personally) do not desire to root my device either.

It’s a disappointment that Samsung did not have the firmware available for the "B" customers at the same time as the GT-N7000 firmware was ready. Besides that point, the biggest failing is from a customer relations standpoint. DTAC and Samsung have taken no action to inform "B" customers about the delay. We are certainly aware other Galaxy Note owners are getting their upgrades. They should have taken the step to assure "B" owners that the upgrade is coming, along with a target release date. I will attempt to make my views on this known to DTAC and Samsung, hope that others concerned will do the same, and hope that the upgrade will arrive soon.

For the N7000, it seems like 48 countries have yet to receive the ICS update, while 19 have, as of today. What is that? ~ 30% So still a long way to go. Obviously it is not possible to release localized versions all on the same day.

Further reading indicates the N7000B variant may be similar to the I9100T (SGS2) variant; "tuned" for Telstra (OZ), and perhaps elsewhere (South Africa, Israel) for 850 Mhz 3G maybe with a re-jiggered antenna and/or a specific baseband? Most people report that this "tuning" offers little in the way of improved support, and in some cases may actually offer poorer performance. Note that all versions of the N7000/N7000B are quad-band 3G.

Personally If for some reason I just couldn't wait and absolutely had to have Android 4.0.3, then I would use Odin and flash the N7000 Thai release, or perhaps any other. This does not require "rooting". If I were in some way unsatisfied with this flashed version I could always flash back.

Are there some features added, applications enabled or problems resolved with Android 4.0.3? I guess I am trying to understand the urgency and overarching need for Android 4.0.3?

Note that Jellybean will be out in the Fall (maybe closer to Thanksgiving?)! biggrin.png

Are there some features added, applications enabled or problems resolved with Android 4.0.3? I guess I am trying to understand the urgency and overarching need for Android 4.0.3?

Good question, as I have yet to see a specific feature set for ICS. And that brings up a point: The user manual .pdf I have for my Galaxy Note has "Gingerbread" as part of it's title. This implies there should be an updated manual explaining the additional features and capabilities of ICS. Does anybody know of the actual existence of a new user manual for the Galaxy Note running Android 4.0 (ICS)?

As for the anticipation for the upgrade, I think it is a bit of the "latest and greatest", mixed in with a feeling that this device (when purchased) has even more potential because we knew when purchased that there was a major upgrade coming "down the road." Finally, speaking as a "B" model owner, I have to admit it is frustrating when I know people around me are getting upgraded, but mine is not, and with no statements from Samsung or DTAC as to when or why?

As for a few problems/gripes I have with the phone that I've found no way around:

(Please chime in if you know a fix with the current Android 2.3.6!)

1) Can't get it to re-flow text at websites when zooming the text for reading. This is true with the stock browser as well as Dolphin Browser. Don't know of any setting for this. My old HTC phone handled re-flowing text with no problem.

2) Short display duration (a few seconds) for the Unlock screen. It would be nice to lengthen that just a few seconds.

3) Short display durations for the "phone calling" mode. Seems (in general) when I'm doing things in that mode, I'm fighting with relighting the display. It's always going dark too soon. I guess one thing to experiment with would be turning off the proximity sensor to see how that does?

4) Slow response from the proximity sensor: When I take the phone away from my ear (to hang up,) there is a delay before the display relights so I can see the "End Call" button. More responsive action would be desirable. I guess the only answer is (also) to turn off the proximity sensor?

Thank you Sam for that detailed report. I read in a previous post that the B version also can receive the 5ghz band on wifi. I confirm that mine can receive both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. Can someone with the A version let us know whether they can receive the 5ghz band. Also, I can also use 3g on AIS no problems despite being told I would not be able to on purchase. I had a feeling this would be the case though.

Thank you Sam for that detailed report. I read in a previous post that the B version also can receive the 5ghz band on wifi. I confirm that mine can receive both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. Can someone with the A version let us know whether they can receive the 5ghz band. Also, I can also use 3g on AIS no problems despite being told I would not be able to on purchase. I had a feeling this would be the case though.

there is a lot of bullshit from thai networks regarding samsung phones and their frequencies

true likes to tell people their phone can not use ais 3G and vice versa but it can

there are no hardware limiltations in the samsung galaxy s2 i9100 and i9100T that prevent one from using

a sim with 3g and h+ from the opposite team

I dont know why these rumours exist ,in europe phones are simlocked to one providor or another but in thailand

it seems like a simlock is not used but rumours of incompatibility are used instead