Could This Be The New Cbr In Thailand

Not too difficult top pick up one of the old CBR250's for around the 50k mark. Many usually have those tyga fairings to make them look modern. Get up close though and everything else on the bike is usually in need of some much needed maintenance. That's before you take a spin and realize the engine's cooked.

Pretty funny that a 20 year old Honda CBR 250 RR will piss all over the new CB'r' 250 thumper though giggle.gif

Not through Bangkok traffic it wouldn't rolleyes.gif

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I bet that with a bit tight traffic in downtown Bangkok all 250's have a hard time keeping up with a motorcycle taxi on a Honda Wave 125i biggrin.pngcheesy.gifsmile.png

Not really, with mirrors folded in a 250 is really no wider than your average scooter.

How fast one zips through gridlocked traffic is more about skill and courage (and one could say stupidity) than about the size of one's bike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jcvkbpSk68

WOOT! w00t.gif

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet that with a bit tight traffic in downtown Bangkok all 250's have a hard time keeping up with a motorcycle taxi on a Honda Wave 125i biggrin.pngcheesy.gifsmile.png

Actually, the complete opposite with the new CBR250R, once some aftermarket mirrors have been added. :) That nice low-end torque is fantastic.

BTW, didn't I read that you were promising that 'pretty soon you'll be able to take your new CBR250R to selected dealers and get new fuel maps added for a few hundred baht' over a year ago?

Whatever happened to that Richard? :huh:

Pretty funny that a 20 year old Honda CBR 250 RR will piss all over the new CB'r' 250 thumper though giggle.gif

Not through Bangkok traffic it wouldn't rolleyes.gif

Why not? The real CBR 250RR is a lot lighter and faster than the fat new CB'r' wannabe...

And its wider and you have to rev the nuts out of it to get going (3-4,000rpm just to get going) . And they overheat. In real life they feel about the same weight infact the 2011 feels lighter. Mate its tiresome.

How is 4000 rpm on a bike that redlines at 19,000 rpm "revving the nuts out of it" ;)

I thought discussions on the CBR250 where in another thread, and this thread was a discussion on what the next sportsbike Honda Thailand would be releasing. .

The discussion was all good until someone decided to post stuff about the CBR250 in the wrong thread.Now everyone who was interested in the discussion has to sift through junk... Oh well, "C'est la vie..."

You certainly do not have to rev the nuts out of to get it going unless you are a complete idiot and trying to go faster than the bike is capable, they overheat do they, not experienced that as yet in the 1000kms plus and mostly in heavy traffic, there are a few constant knockers of this bike, it makes you wonder why!! for me it is fantastic, the step daughter loves it more than the Z because it is slower so all good there, it looks good, fantastic on fuel, comfortable etc etc, sorted out the oil filter problem, took it back to where I purchased it hoping to get a proper service, at first they did not want to change the now found oil filter, I pointed out it was to be changed according to the service schedule, the service was completed correctly this time at a cost of just over 400 bht, cheap as chips to maintain and run, this is a great bike but it is not to everyones liking for whatever reason, just accept some people enjoy it and enjoy owning it.

Edited by kawapower
  • Like 1

You certainly do not have to rev the nuts out of to get it going unless you are a complete idiot and trying to go faster than the bike is capable, they overheat do they, not experienced that as yet in the 1000kms plus and mostly in heavy traffic, there are a few constant knockers of this bike, it makes you wonder why!! for me it is fantastic, the step daughter loves it more than the Z because it is slower so all good there, it looks good, fantastic on fuel, comfortable etc etc, sorted out the oil filter problem, took it back to where I purchased it hoping to get a proper service, at first they did not want to change the now found oil filter, I pointed out it was to be changed according to the service schedule, the service was completed correctly this time at a cost of just over 400 bht, cheap as chips to maintain and run, this is a great bike but it is not to everyones liking for whatever reason, just accept some people enjoy it and enjoy owning it.

Dohhhh. Kawa I was refering to the 4 cylinder Cbr250 the cbr250rr.

And Tony you know full well what I mean. The old cbr would not even get going until 3 to 4 thou revs and then even at a fairly slow speed say 70kmh you had to have it above 10,000 which is tiresome and makes the rider look like a plonker.

On a nice road they are great around town they are crap. But then they were never designed for that were as the cbr 2011 is.

Dohhhh. Kawa I was refering to the 4 cylinder Cbr250 the cbr250rr.

And Tony you know full well what I mean. The old cbr would not even get going until 3 to 4 thou revs and then even at a fairly slow speed say 70kmh you had to have it above 10,000 which is tiresome and makes the rider look like a plonker.

On a nice road they are great around town they are crap. But then they were never designed for that were as the cbr 2011 is.

Oooops sorry misread your post lol

Update to my first service, took the bike back to the first Honda dealer where they said "this bike no have oil filter" took the lady outside to the bike, I pointed to the newly discovered oil filter and said " this oil filter" her response was, "that oil filter" she smiled and disappeared back inside!!

Edited by kawapower

I'm 75kg and 175cm. I find the great CBR250R to be so stable while WOT that you (I) can cruise with the throttle pinned all day long no bother at all. Some bikes are so rattly and unstable that when WOT they feel like they're going to fall apart. The CBR250R is so smooth and stable at top speed that cruising at WOT is simply a pleasure.

Left my house in Don Mueang at 7am, was in Chiang Mai before lunch time. Outside lane and WOT until Lampang. smile.png

Only drank 3 tanks of gas! 555.

With the great fairings and wind protection, and thus almost no affect on the body, it was back on the bike for a ride up Doi Suthep and still enough energy to see to two Loi Krohers.smile.png

This was part of a 2,500km 4 day tour of the North and N.Western (MHS down to Mae Sot) Thailand.

Can't imagine those speeds for such periods of time on a naked bike. But the great little CBR250R simply devours the miles at such speeds with little to no affect on the body!

Go Honda!

669 km I drive the route a few times a month

I will assume the shortest and quickest route, Highway 1 and 32, and 1 and 11

you claim 3 tanks of fuel. And even if it is a rush stop. i think it is fair to say 10 minutes a stop to gas up and pay

That brings you down to 4 hours 30 minutes.

There are no less than 6 police check points, and even if they don't stop you, or are not even open, you need to slow down for them.

There are over 24 stop lights on the route. In my 10 years driving I never have gotten all green lights. usually 50/50 But lets say the gods are in your favor and you only get 6 That is another 15 minutes there so your down to 4 hours 15 minutes for the run.

And now the mountain passes. Some twisting about and others not but still a climb.

Now we will assume the stars are aligned right, all cars, trucks, busses,and other idiots on the road kept in the left lane and let you use the fast lane alone, you would have to average over 157 kph. now I am bigger than you at 169 cm tall and 100 kg. I rearly can get mine to do over 138 on level ground, But I have heard a few who have done up to 160 kmh on the speedo. And I will assume it take you a little while to get up to speed so your actual speed will have to be higher. a good deal higher.

My hats off to you, your an amazing rider on an amazing machine. Even on my much larger bike I have trouble maintaining a average of over 100 kph over long distances.

I'm 75kg and 175cm. I find the great CBR250R to be so stable while WOT that you (I) can cruise with the throttle pinned all day long no bother at all. Some bikes are so rattly and unstable that when WOT they feel like they're going to fall apart. The CBR250R is so smooth and stable at top speed that cruising at WOT is simply a pleasure.

Left my house in Don Mueang at 7am, was in Chiang Mai before lunch time. Outside lane and WOT until Lampang. smile.png

With the great fairings and wind protection, and thus almost no affect on the body, it was back on the bike for a ride up Doi Suthep and still enough energy to see to two Loi Krohers.smile.png

This was part of a 2,500km 4 day tour of the North and N.Western (MHS down to Mae Sot) Thailand.

Can't imagine those speeds for such periods of time on a naked bike. But the great little CBR250R simply devours the miles at such speeds with little to no affect on the body!

Go Honda!

you claim 3 tanks of fuel. And even if it is a rush stop. i think it is fair to say 10 minutes a stop to gas up and pay

There are no less than 6 police check points, and even if they don't stop you, or are not even open, you need to slow down for them.

There are over 24 stop lights on the route. In my 10 years driving I never have gotten all green lights. usually 50/50 But lets say the gods are in your favor and you only get 6 That is another 15 minutes there so your down to 4 hours 15 minutes for the run.

And now the mountain passes. Some twisting about and others not but still a climb.

Now we will assume the stars are aligned right, all cars, trucks, busses,and other idiots on the road kept in the left lane and let you use the fast lane alone, you would have to average over 157 kph. now I am bigger than you at 169 cm tall and 100 kg. I rearly can get mine to do over 138 on level ground, But I have heard a few who have done up to 160 kmh on the speedo. And I will assume it take you a little while to get up to speed so your actual speed will have to be higher. a good deal higher.

My hats off to you, your an amazing rider on an amazing machine. Even on my much larger bike I have trouble maintaining a average of over 100 kph over long distances.

Yep, in other words he's full of <deleted> :)

I think even the most rabid Honda fan stopped drinking his kool-aid a long time ago, but thanks for taking the time to point out the idiocy of his posts. Hopefully we can get back to talking about the new cbr and stop being distracted by this fool.

All this talk of 400cc Hondas has got me looking up vfr400's on mycyc.com! Such a shame most of them are rubbish, but since karlos posted the pics of his old bike I think I have a new mission!

Let's hope Honda saves me some pain and releases the bike that I want, there's plenty of choice for the commuter crowd already, how about something for the enthusiast?

• Like 1

Go Honda!

Yep, in other words he's full of <deleted> smile.png

I think even the most rabid Honda fan stopped drinking his kool-aid a long time ago, but thanks for taking the time to point out the idiocy of his posts. Hopefully we can get back to talking about the new cbr and stop being distracted by this fool.

All this talk of 400cc Hondas has got me looking up vfr400's on mycyc.com! Such a shame most of them are rubbish, but since karlos posted the pics of his old bike I think I have a new mission!

Let's hope Honda saves me some pain and releases the bike that I want, there's plenty of choice for the commuter crowd already, how about something for the enthusiast?

I have a few PDF DIY guides. One of which is for setting up the carbs smile.png

Even if you're mechanically clued up it's still good to have the carb guide as a base to work from with jet sizes etc (as most Thais have attacked the carbs by now, some with files to widden the jets, some with random twists of the slow speed jet and odd adjustments of the clips....)

THe best bit of advice i can give you when looking at VFR400's in Thailand is.... Buy a compression tester and check those cylinders wet and dry. I've seen far too many cooked NC30's, ones with failed water pumps, clogged radiators, weak radiator caps and one of the most common culprits is due to not re-jetting the carbs once the stock exhaust has been replaced, making the bike run even leaner than it had been before. another thing to consider if you find a good one is to ensure the rear cylinders run a little richer than the front. Due to their location the rear two cylinders run hotter than the front too due to a lack off cooling air, bumping the rear main jets up a couple of sizes helps to lessen this issue.

Sorry, i've gone off on a tangent again, back on topic biggrin.png

Edited by karlos

I thought discussions on the CBR250 where in another thread, and this thread was a discussion on what the next sportsbike Honda Thailand would be releasing. .

spot ON. OK, I'd want Honda's true Sportbike 250 to be an I-4 screamer with 15,000 redline, race fairings & ergos, rearsets, USD forks and aluminum frame. Not slagging on the CBR-250, it's a sporty all-rounder... but it's not a true Sportbike. Unfortunately, it'll never be built for aforementioned reasons: cost would be 100k more, and non-purists historically just buy a bike with a bigger engine even if it's a less capable sportbike.

Now, there does seem to be a big hole in Honda's 400-600cc roadbike offerings in LoS, and nothing wrong with twins as long as they're highly tuned enough - just ask Ducati!

Buy a compression tester and check those cylinders wet and dry.

I've heard the wet & dry thing before, but am unaware what it means - could you elaborate? I need to check an engine. Also need to find a compression gauge in BKK, if anybody knows where, would greatly appreciate the name & location of said shop.

spot ON. OK, I'd want Honda's true Sportbike 250 to be an I-4 screamer with 15,000 redline, race fairings & ergos, rearsets, USD forks and aluminum frame. Not slagging on the CBR-250, it's a sporty all-rounder... but it's not a true Sportbike. Unfortunately, it'll never be built for aforementioned reasons: cost would be 100k more, and non-purists historically just buy a bike with a bigger engine even if it's a less capable sportbike.

Now, there does seem to be a big hole in Honda's 400-600cc roadbike offerings in LoS, and nothing wrong with twins as long as they're highly tuned enough - just ask Ducati!

I think the price difference between what a inline 4 with aluminium frame (which would have to be built in Thailand) versus current offerings would be more the difference between what the EX650 and the ZX600 go for in the West. If it was an import you'd probably be much better off going with a larger Kawasaki offering unless you had money to burn.

It already exists dude. Ever hear of the Honda NSF 250?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0cyxPOnyk

I also look at those average speeds with a bit of suspicion. From my front door to Lom Sak it's 328 km and it takes me a good 3 1/2 hours with the throttle pinned and fully tucked the last 125 or so (figure over 150 km/h). And that's with a single ciggy stop, no fuel added, and 11 (?) stoplights along the way.

To above Speeding discussion BKK - Chiang Mai

Did once with a Yamaha FZR 1000, 1992/93? 550 km Caorle-Italy to Eisenstadt-Austria from 3 PM - 7 PM on a Sunday in good traffic.

Needed a lot of Gasoline and was on my Physical limit!

A nice CBR 4 Zylinder Thailand built, with the right price, would be nice!

Removed several posts. One was accuing another of trolling, the other bringing up moderation issues which he knows full well is against the rules (remember when I suggested thinking before posting?).

We are all getting tired of the bickering in this forum. Further bickering will be treated very seriously.

I roll CNX to BKK in 2 hours doing a wheelie the entire way, when i run into a stoplight (if i run into a stoplight) i endo to a full stop and hold it until it turns green.

You pansies can't ride, doesn't matter if your on a 10k baht oil changing Ducati, Honda or Kawasaki

When i ride past checkpoints they salute me.

• Like 1

According to the Honda price list(Thailand) this is a future model, VTR250 V Twin.

The Honda VTR250 already has a proven track record in Japan where its blend of sporty performance, easy handling and edgy street credibility heads the 250cc class. Its high performance V-twin two-cylinder engine was first launched back in 1982, the engine was specially designed and developed for the Honda VTR250F.

Subsequent updates retained its basic configuration while placing ever greater emphasis on compact size and exhilarating performance.

In 1997 the first Honda VTR250 was released with its distinctive truss frame, and it has been popular ever since. Young and entry-level riders are attracted by its light, compact chassis and easy handling characteristics.

More experienced riders appreciate the sports-inspired performance that makes it a fun and satisfying ride. The Honda VTR250's unmistakable sports naked image has won its own loyal following and the Honda VTR250 has become the most successful road going 250cc motorcycle in Japan.

The Liquid cooled 4-stroke DOHC 90° V-twin engine, with a 60mm bore and 44.2mm stroke, with a 11:1 high compression ratio which is common with sport motorcycles. The 2010 Honda VTR250 is equipped with Honda's PGM-FI for accurate fueling and top performance. The PGM-FI (Fuel injection) incorporates 6 sensors to accurately determine the optimal ignition timing and fuel injection. The result is fast, reliable ignition and exceptionally smooth, quick throttle response.

The Honda VTR250 exhaust system has a chamber-less muffler with oxygen sensor, pre-catalyzer and main catalyzer, ensuring that the catalytic converter system reduces exhaust emissions.

Honda VTR250 will likely cost around 144,000 Baht, which is about 5,000 Baht less then the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

post-150763-0-33642900-1338426472.jpg

Edited by kawapower

According to the Honda price list(Thailand) this is a future model, VTR250 V Twin.

The Honda VTR250 already has a proven track record in Japan where its blend of sporty performance, easy handling and edgy street credibility heads the 250cc class. Its high performance V-twin two-cylinder engine was first launched back in 1982, the engine was specially designed and developed for the Honda VTR250F.

Subsequent updates retained its basic configuration while placing ever greater emphasis on compact size and exhilarating performance.

In 1997 the first Honda VTR250 was released with its distinctive truss frame, and it has been popular ever since. Young and entry-level riders are attracted by its light, compact chassis and easy handling characteristics.

More experienced riders appreciate the sports-inspired performance that makes it a fun and satisfying ride. The Honda VTR250's unmistakable sports naked image has won its own loyal following and the Honda VTR250 has become the most successful road going 250cc motorcycle in Japan.

The Liquid cooled 4-stroke DOHC 90 V-twin engine, with a 60mm bore and 44.2mm stroke, with a 11:1 high compression ratio which is common with sport motorcycles. The 2010 Honda VTR250 is equipped with Honda's PGM-FI for accurate fueling and top performance. The PGM-FI (Fuel injection) incorporates 6 sensors to accurately determine the optimal ignition timing and fuel injection. The result is fast, reliable ignition and exceptionally smooth, quick throttle response.

The Honda VTR250 exhaust system has a chamber-less muffler with oxygen sensor, pre-catalyzer and main catalyzer, ensuring that the catalytic converter system reduces exhaust emissions.

Honda VTR250 will likely cost around 144,000 Baht, which is about 5,000 Baht less then the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

Where did you get that info?

Motorcycleinthai.co.th by any chance?

That's Richard bkk's website. Not exactly up to date :lol:

The Liquid cooled 4-stroke DOHC 90 V-twin engine, with a 60mm bore and 44.2mm stroke, with a 11:1 high compression ratio which is common with sport motorcycles. The 2010 Honda VTR250 is equipped with Honda's PGM-FI for accurate fueling and top performance. The PGM-FI (Fuel injection) incorporates 6 sensors to accurately determine the optimal ignition timing and fuel injection. The result is fast, reliable ignition and exceptionally smooth, quick throttle response.

That's Richard bkk's website. Not exactly up to date laugh.png

Yes from that site. It does say

Last Updated Tuesday, 24 January 2012 @ 07:00 AM ICT|

Edited by kawapower

After you've been here a while you'll realize that neither Richard nor his site are not a good source for reliable or accurate information coffee1.gif

After you've been here a while you'll realize that neither Richard nor his site are not a good source for reliable or accurate information coffee1.gif

you are right bigbikebkk, that information about VTR 250 in motorcycleinthai.co.th is there for 3 years now man as an incoming bike hahaha.

Still, there is some useful information there for farang like bike prices so that site is better that nothing at the end and i respect the effort of the people running it.

But some updates on that website man, please.

• Like 1

you are right bigbikebkk, that information about VTR 250 in motorcycleinthai.co.th is there for 3 years now man as an incoming bike hahaha.

Still, there is some useful information there for farang like bike prices so that site is better that nothing at the end and i respect the effort of the people running it.

But some updates on that website man, please.

+1

Continiously naming a member and his website just to backbite it is a shabbily habit. Richard isn't trying to sell something on his website, so i would consider it as a private website. And for this it is much better than what some other guys here produce to make their living. I found many interesting information on Richards site. Why not make it better yourself instead of bashing Richard.

Edited by wantan

• 4 weeks later...

I was walking past one of the Honda dealers in Kanchanaburi today and swapped a few words with one of the mechanics there.

I asked when Honda were bringing out their rumoured big bike without expecting a reply and was surprised to hear Honda may have a rival for the Versys later in the year. NC700x?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App