So What Was Your Very First Home Computer ?

ThaiLife

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell I thought I was getting old but there's some right fossils posting on here.biggrin.png

" My first computer was a Noah Model BC made from bark and bits of twig. The mainframe was the Ark of the Covenant, power was provided by a series of wooden blocks and pulleys and storage was a roll of papyrus."

Bloody hell I thought I was getting old but there's some right fossils posting on here.biggrin.png

" My first computer was a Noah Model BC made from bark and bits of twig. The mainframe was the Ark of the Covenant, power was provided by a series of wooden blocks and pulleys and storage was a roll of papyrus."

Ah yes, I remember that one, much more modern than my first machine, pulleys with rope ??? whats wrong with a simple lever. Plus the use of papyrus, a devils invention, stick with the clay tablets and pointy stick.. rolleyes.gif

Of course in 50 years time someone will again ask"what was your first computer" the reply of "Intel core i7, 8gig ram, 2Tb drive etc" will be viewed in the same way.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I remember that one, much more modern than my first machine, pulleys with rope ??? whats wrong with a simple lever. Plus the use of papyrus, a devils invention, stick with the clay tablets and pointy stick.. rolleyes.gif

Of course in 50 years time someone will again ask"what was your first computer" the reply of "Intel core i7, 8gig ram, 2Tb drive etc" will be viewed in the same way.

I hear ya! I'm waiting for the day that being able to download a 700MB in minutes rather than seconds will be scoffed at.

I learned FORTRAN and COBOL on IBM 360 with punched card input in the late 70s. I never did own a computer until 1998...there was always a machine to use at work and I could never see the point of owning one...

OK then. Now we need to know what you brought home in 1998.

And it's always a laugh to compare performance/price then to now.

I learned FORTRAN and COBOL on IBM 360 with punched card input in the late 70s. I never did own a computer until 1998...there was always a machine to use at work and I could never see the point of owning one...

OK then. Now we need to know what you brought home in 1998.

And it's always a laugh to compare performance/price then to now.

it was a Toshiba laptop and the specs were pretty basic, about 32RAM and it had a floppy drive, no USB at the time...cost around USD1000 I think...

Actually I have a book that describes how to build a wooden computer. I have another one somewhere that describes how to build one out of stones, but the processing is a bit slow since you have to carry the rocks around manually yourself. Unless you have minions, of course.

• Like 1

Boy I am impressed by you guys! I expected to see a couple Commodore 64's and an IBM PC or maybe even an XT !

I'm 53 and I got my first computer in 1989, a 286 with 40 MB drive, 2 floppies and I guess 640K or maybe 1 MB even though DOS could not use it all. Cost about $ 1800 USD in the US. This post is a great trip down memory lane!

My 286 in the UK, came with a 20 MB Stepper motor Hard drive, man was that thing loud, the case was built like a tank, and it had a 'Turbo' button to boost it from 10 to 12 Mhz, I also paid extra for the 1 MB rather than the 640K standard RAM.

Paid what was then a small fortune for a Grundy NewBrain. Needed a cassette recorder to load a program every time I wanted to use it. Display just a few rolling characters. First 'portable' company to go bust. In the rubbish bin. A bad memory.

First decent PC at work was the Apple IIe. Resilient even when we blew smoke into the 5.25" floppy drive. Smoking OK in offices then.

Punchcards? Very useful for roaches.

220px-Grundy_newbrainAD.jpg

220px-Grundy_newbrainAD.jpg

Straight from my most honest personal memory that must have been a FairChild positioned @ that time in a Quo Vadis room and currently most likely still stored for 1 symbolic Dutch guilder in one of the museums of Dublin @ that time run by a professor of Mathematics who'se name I've forgotton.

Oh I just remember, after my first IBM PC I got an IBM PC "portable" (aka. lug-able). In the "closed" state it looked just like a sewing machine, and weighted something like 20 kg. Ugh! And I think, if my memory doesn't fail me, the price was in the area of 180,000 baht.

ibm5155.jpgibm5155-case.jpg

My brother and I shared a purchase of a 16K ZX Spectrum back in 1982.

Long wait for delivery, which had allowed us to order the 3rd party RAM upgrade to 48K from East London Robotics (who I've never heard of before or since).

It wasn't the first computer I ever used though as the school let me onto their Apple IIe. (and yes, the school had ONE computer back then).

Worked out for me - did a degree in Computer Science...

Next computer was an Amiga (after graduation, once I was working, so I had some spending money), then I went onto the PC side with a 486DX2 just after they came out, which allowed me to start working from home.

Edited by bkk_mike

I built my own from parts ordered from US, I think the year was 1983. Can't remember where I got the directions from, perhaps Popular Electronics magazine.

Same, based on a Motorola 6809.

Then a BBC B followed by building my own PC which I continue to do now.

Oh I just remember, after my first IBM PC I got an IBM PC "portable" (aka. lug-able). In the "closed" state it looked just like a sewing machine, and weighted something like 20 kg. Ugh! And I think, if my memory doesn't fail me, the price was in the area of 180,000 baht.

ibm5155.jpgibm5155-case.jpg

yeah...I useta borrow one of those when I was in engineering school in the early 80s to write, compile and run all my FORTRAN programs at home...and it weighed a ton and I always used public transportation...then, when I would get home after lugging the thing around I'd flop and open a beer and say: 'fukkit...the FORTRAN can wait...'

and then the 5'11" GF would appear and say: 'does it make sense to you to lug that thing all the way back from school then fer you to sit on yer ass and swill beer and not get about yer work?' and she was right and I did get top marks in the engineering analysis class...she was my inspiration...

these days ye can do most anything with an MS Office Excel spread sheet...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

About 1983 -- A Microbee.

It was based on a Zilog Z80 with up to 32 Kbytes of RAM plus 32 Kbytes of ROM holding Microworld Australia Basic, a TV display of 16 lines by 64 characters, and they origionally sold it as a kit.

The Microbee by early 1980 was sold as an assembled unit and several hundred thousand were made during that decade. It was widely sold to Australian schools also exported to Sweden and Russia.

It was a wonderful machine, the non-disk based version's RAM (8, 16 or 32 Kb) was entirely battery-backed CMOS. It also had software on EPROM such as a Word Processor and Telecommunications software.

post-58663-0-82534200-1339137663_thumb.j

This was my very first real portable

Very hard to use unless there was a good light, but I could not have done my job without it

amstrad-ppc-640.jpg

It had two 3.5" floppies and internal modem. No hard disk. Powered by 10 'C' batteries

Best of all it suited my budget

Edited by thaimite

Very hard to use unless there was a good light, but I could not have done my job without it

amstrad-ppc-640.jpg

It had two 3.5" floppies and internal modem. No hard disk. Powered by 10 'C' batteries

What is it? Many of us might want to get one. ;)

amstrad-ppc-640.jpg

What is it? Many of us might want to get one. wink.png

Sorry. It is /was an Amstrad PPC640

I think mine may have had a 20MB hard disk but I am not sure now

If you feel a need to get one I suggest you go and lie down in a darkened room for a few days until the desire fades.

Edited by thaimite