Mr. Whippy Ice Cream Van

AliasJohn

There must surely be an ice-ceam mafia.

In my small Isaan town I see more than half a dozen Walls mobile units lined up in the morning. I am sure it must be a bit like buying a motorcycle taxi driver's vest.

Seriously, this must be a total wind up. Sho the <deleted> would use a petrol guzzling van and all the related sunk costs to sell bllody ice-cream at 10b a pop?

Just for the record it is a diesel engine and sells from 16 baht up to 40 baht depending on location. Damm good soft serve ice cream and a good cash business for some one who wants to put some effort into it and is not so negative. Edited by AliasJohn

Th

Seriously, this must be a total wind up. Sho the <deleted> would use a petrol guzzling van and all the related sunk costs to sell bllody ice-cream at 10b a pop?

Just for the record it is a diesel engine and sells from 16 baht up to 40 baht depending on location. Damm good soft serve ice cream and a good cash business for some one who wants to put some effort into it and is not so negative.

The quality of the 'soft serve' ice cream is, of course, dependent on the kit being used

What make of equipment does the van have.

Th

Just for the record it is a diesel engine and sells from 16 baht up to 40 baht depending on location. Damm good soft serve ice cream and a good cash business for some one who wants to put some effort into it and is not so negative.

The quality of the 'soft serve' ice cream is, of course, dependent on the kit being used

The machine is called Snowboy and the icecream is imported from Australia. The van is fitted with a 10 kva genset, Panasonic A/C, water filter system etc.

economically unfeasable.

And your an expert on this are you? It is a very good cash earner for some one wanting to put some effort into it.

I do understand overheads. Am I an expert? A dragon? In Taksin's class? NO. But then again, its an icecream van an expensive one, with hugh sunk costs, high depreciation and a small selling price and unit consumption. Its economically unfeasable when a boy on a bike is all you need......but then again its the only one in Thailand.....ask youurself why.

The machine is called Snowboy and the icecream is imported from Australia. The van is fitted with a 10 kva genset, Panasonic A/C, water filter system etc.

So, whats the selling price of the icecream for little Somchai? How many Thai produced icecreams can the little skally wag buy for one ozzy one (imported......that must cost a fortune!!!!) served from a posh van?

Ah, ok - Thai kids aren't the target.

Asumming your amortisation on the van and equipment is on a straight line for x years, running costs as well as your import costs, what is the profit margin on a 16 baht icecream?

Does it play the same jingle as the Wall's bike sellers use?

Otherwise nobody would know it's selling ice cream.

And why do you have to import anything from Australia? Can't you get the ingredients in Thailand?

Edited by PattayaParent

Th[ere must surely be an ice-ceam mafia.

In my small Isaan town I see more than half a dozen Walls mobile units lined up in the morning. I am sure it must be a bit like buying a motorcycle taxi driver's vest.]

(... added the [ ] myself to the response of Mr. Cardholder above ; crazy software ... )

For the time being I eat available German LIDL's Gelatelli spacerunners of Naam as long as they're available in our local shop.

Sincerily hope the Dutch public just enjoyed the currently aired V.I.S.S.E.N. at the 28th of May 2012, ended 22:00 local Dutch time.

At 1.2million baht you've got to shift some ice cream to get your poke back,it's a nice bit of kit by all means,there must be a better alternative to make some money in LOS,I admire the OP for giving it a go,good luck in your attempt to shift it.

It would make for a nice mobile home though.

Edited by stoneyboy

Does it play the same jingle as the Wall's bike sellers use?

Otherwise nobody would know it's selling ice cream.

And why do you have to import anything from Australia? Can't you get the ingredients in Thailand?

It comes form Australia because Thailand does not make a nice creamy icecream. For a start the icecream here does not have milk in it. The powder icecream that you buy from Macas, Dairy Queen etc. has a very high animal fat content in it. My ice cream does not. I dont import it my self, it is from a wholesaler in Bangkok. Cant use the walls tune....because its not Walls...

• 2 weeks later...

My comment would be, why are the signs in English only, most Thai kids would not know English.

I know the guy who started this van off in Pattaya, he couldn't make any money, but then again I don't think he tried very hard.

You will need to sell alot of icecreams to recoup you outlay & ongoing costs, easier ways to make a little money I feel.

Good luck,

At 1.2million baht you've got to shift some ice cream to get your poke back,it's a nice bit of kit by all means,there must be a better alternative to make some money in LOS,I admire the OP for giving it a go,good luck in your attempt to shift it.

It would make for a nice mobile home though.

I agree as if I bought it I would strip it out and make a nice Mobile Home to tour Thailand. Its airconed already and Gen set etc

Something to think about.