Visa Run Penang By Car W/O Crossing Border

If going to Penang suspect it will be more than same day turnaround so perhaps an overnight in Hatyai hotel leaving car there? There is train/plane/bus/van/share taxi options from there.

Thanks Lop, I was thinking about a Hat Yai stayover. So you think parking a few nights at a hotel can be worked out? Probably stay in Hat Yai for a night on both ends of the trip

Actually from my last decade memory it is a limited access highway much like an American interstate so not very interesting and well patrolled by speed police which might not be good for those used to Thai lead-foot driving standards. Getting around Georgetown would not likely be very pleasant. But agree for some it would be a viable option.

Lop3

At least at Thannaleng, opposite Nong Khai via the bridge, that's the mandatory liability insurance.

Not sure if the local Lao companies have 1st class insurance available or not, or at what cost.

Reckon some Thai insurance companies might be willing to cover short term foreign travel with an add-on to a policy, for a price, of course.

Mac

Mac

Thai registered and insured car to Malaysia? Fine, but do check your insurance. Mine, for one, doesn't cover driving in foreign countries.

Mac

You have to take out Malaysian Insurance for a Thai registered vehicle (normally for a minimum of 30 days), plus you have to register a Malaysian Version of your Thai Plate and buy the Black/White Stickers - costs about 1000 THB all in.

As part of the Malay Temporary Registration process there is also a police vehicle check where they will make you tear out any serious window tint films (which are illegal in Malaysia) before they issue you with a vehicle pass.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Thai registered and insured car to Malaysia? Fine, but do check your insurance. Mine, for one, doesn't cover driving in foreign countries.

Mac

You have to take out Malaysian Insurance for a Thai registered vehicle (normally for a minimum of 30 days), plus you have to register a Malaysian Version of your Thai Plate and buy the Black/White Stickers - costs about 1000 THB all in.

As part of the Malay Temporary Registration process there is also a police vehicle check where they will make you tear out any serious window tint films (which are illegal in Malaysia) before they issue you with a vehicle pass.

Thanks that is very interesting.

Where does this occur before leaving Thailand in No mans land and how do pay Visa card/Bhats or Ringgits?

Mac

Thanks that is very interesting.

Where does this occur before leaving Thailand in No mans land and how do pay Visa card/Bhats or Ringgits?

All here:

I've done the minibus from Sadao to Penang so I know the road is immaculate. Ownership of the vehicle is not a problem. I was just trying to avoid any paperwork or whatever that might take time and/or be an inconvenience. I wouldnt mind paying the 1000 insurance or whatever. So if I could just sail thru the border and on down to the Cititel and park for a few days while getting a visa then sure I would consider that. Once in Penang I wouldn't be driving around. Also is there another alternative in driving to Satun or wherever a Ferry to Penang can be grabbed? I take it long term parking would be available wherever that is. Right now I'm considering staying in Sadao or Hat Yai

I've done the minibus from Sadao to Penang so I know the road is immaculate. Ownership of the vehicle is not a problem. I was just trying to avoid any paperwork or whatever that might take time and/or be an inconvenience. I wouldnt mind paying the 1000 insurance or whatever. So if I could just sail thru the border and on down to the Cititel and park for a few days while getting a visa then sure I would consider that. Once in Penang I wouldn't be driving around. Also is there another alternative in driving to Satun or wherever a Ferry to Penang can be grabbed? I take it long term parking would be available wherever that is. Right now I'm considering staying in Sadao or Hat Yai

The only thing you'd need before departing is the translation of the number plate from the Land Transport Department. Doesn't take long to get. At the border, you can just take the car over (I got the temp export permit, but was told later that it isn't needed), but on the Malaysian side, you must pull over and buy insurance and get a tax sticker for the car. 30 mins or there abouts and people thrugh the insurance shops to hold your hand. No scammers, unlike Cambodian borders.

There is another bonus - fuel is dirt cheap in Malaysia - even though for Thai plated vehicles there are now restrictions on buying the low octane grade of of fuel, 97 is still freely available and works fine in 91 rated cars; large quantities of Diesel within 100Km of the border are also not possible.

Drive over the border from Thailand on fumes with a big fuel can in the boot containing a little petrol in it as security, then tank up on the Malaysian side.

Make sure you fill up on the way back before you get within approx 50 Km of the Border and you may be able to fill your big fuel can up at the same time as well smile.png

paper work is not complicated but do remember to follow the procedure to get the correct export documents on the Thai side - only takes a couple of minutes and don't forget to do the re-import process when you get back (also very quick but also completely separate from the border passport process).

If your vehicle is on finance then you don't have the Green/Blue Book (Tabien Rot ทะเบียนรถ).

It is my understanding that you thus cannot get the required Thai Temporary Export Documents at Sadao as you cannot prove it is your vehicle.

When I was planning a trip to MotoGP on my financed motorcycle I was told by my finance company that after one year of payments were made they would loan the tabien rot to me for the trip. Not sure if the same is possible for cars, but I would assume so. I would ask the finance company. They probably each have their own rules.

Cheap petrol in Malaysia, such that there is now a rule that foreign-registered vehicles cannot buy it within a certain distance of the frontier, 10km I think.

Leave the car in Hat Yai, 300b each way for the minibus into Georgetown.

It's true, not much to see along the way.

Cheap petrol in Malaysia, such that there is now a rule that foreign-registered vehicles cannot buy it within a certain distance of the frontier, 10km I think.

Leave the car in Hat Yai, 300b each way for the minibus into Georgetown.

It's true, not much to see along the way.

Unless the rules have changed recently then the restriction for Thai plated vehicles is max 20 litres diesel within 50 km of the border and only 97 octane for petrol engines.

Not a big problem to work around unless you are purely crossing the border to refuel.

As regards the mini buses, the drivers from Hat Yai are mostly Thai - do I have to say more? I will; the last time my Wife and I were coming back this way from Penang the vehicle was being driven at 150 kph+ about 2 metres from the vehicle in front, even the Thais in the vehicle were begging the driver to slow down and pull back, which of course he would not do. I was >90% certain that it was finally my last day on this planet; it was on that journey when I swore never to travel by Thai driven Mini Bus ever again.

• Like 2