Which Automatic Pickup To Buy

I know there where privious topics on this, but nothing that focusses on automatic transmissions, I belive.

My wife drives an A/T hilux, which is getting old and unfortunately has a benzine engine. So at some stage we need to look at a replacement. Criteria are Automatic, Smart cab (4 seats, 2 doors) and diesel engine. The best I could find so far was a Isuzu Dmax Z with 2.5 ltr. Engine.

The car will be primarily used for business (garden and construction materials).

Anybody any insight, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

When I was looking to buy a new pick-up a few months ago, I did a though research into all the latest models available in Thailand, and toured all the showrooms.

Top of my list were the Isuzu Dmax and the Mitsubishi Triton.

They are both have 'new generation' 2.5 Diesel engines and are both rated very highly.

I went for the Mitsu as it was cheaper, shorter delivery time, (about 2weeks or less), and it looks really nifty.

I have now had it for nearly 3 months and am absolutely delighted with it. It drives like a dream, is very comfortable and quiet and fuel consumption is excellent.

The only downside is that it may not hold its value as well as a DMAX, although they are selling like hot cakes now, so who knows? Anyway, if you are planning to keep it for many years, then it hardly matters.

That's my 2 penneth....

I ordered a Dmax 2.5 AT, but after some delivery issues also visited the Mazda showroom. On the day Isuzu called they would ship the truck to me I decided not to use that offer and in stead go for the Mazda. About the same price for the 2.2 AT, but more car for the money IMO.

Edited by stevenl

When I was looking to buy a new pick-up a few months ago, I did a though research into all the latest models available in Thailand, and toured all the showrooms.

Top of my list were the Isuzu Dmax and the Mitsubishi Triton.

They are both have 'new generation' 2.5 Diesel engines and are both rated very highly.

I went for the Mitsu as it was cheaper, shorter delivery time, (about 2weeks or less), and it looks really nifty.

I have now had it for nearly 3 months and am absolutely delighted with it. It drives like a dream, is very comfortable and quiet and fuel consumption is excellent.

The only downside is that it may not hold its value as well as a DMAX, although they are selling like hot cakes now, so who knows? Anyway, if you are planning to keep it for many years, then it hardly matters.

That's my 2 penneth....

And it's a beautiful truck! Rides great and has incredible acceleration. Very nice choice!!

I never see 2dr diesel pick up with AT..??!!

You're right, the OP threw me of with '4 seats 2 doors'.

At the OP: the 2 door pickups will have 4 seats, but are officially only licensed for 2 persons. So also insurance will be limited and not cover 4 seats/persons.

Edited by stevenl

At the OP: the 2 door pickups will have 4 seats, but are officially only licensed for 2 persons. So also insurance will be limited and not cover 4 seats/persons.

Correct.

OP, the benzine Toyota is a slug, the diesel is a very different ride. smile.png

Top of my list were the Isuzu Dmax and the .................

Errr new generation as in the old motor carried over ?

Correct.

OP, the benzine Toyota is a slug, the diesel is a very different ride. smile.png

Actually, I believe they are licensed for three people. But yes, officially you are not allowed to carry people on the back "seats"

Sophon

Interesting indeed. I was sure that the wife's current 2 door, smart cab, is insured/liscensed for up to 4 people inside. Why would they have the seats and back rests if you were not supposed to have anybody sitting on it? Beats me.

Interesting indeed. I was sure that the wife's current 2 door, smart cab, is insured/liscensed for up to 4 people inside. Why would they have the seats and back rests if you were not supposed to have anybody sitting on it? Beats me.

Not seats in the back. Just space.

don't think so... do your research - its Toyota that has the old tarted up crap and charges through the nose for it...

don't think so... do your research - its Toyota that has the old tarted up crap and charges through the nose for it...

Hmmmmm, look at the Toyota low RPM torque figures, truck work figures, NOT high RPM motorway torque figures. Toyota wins. smile.png

So are you saying the New Generation D-Max also got a new engine, best you be doing some research mate because it is using the engine from the outgoing model only difference being is that it has had a bit of a tune up.

So are you saying the New Generation D-Max also got a new engine, best you be doing some research mate because it is using the engine from the outgoing model only difference being is that it has had a bit of a tune up.

Didn't Isuzu put the VGS turbo from the 3L model on it?, that would make a difference to performance.

Isuzu engine link:http://www.allnewisuzud-max.com/web/main.html

Edited by phutoie2

No seat belts fitted!, when Toyota brought out the smart cab with the small rear access doors they wanted to run an advertising campaign showing passengers in the rear, the Transport ministry prevented them.

Two door trucks taxed as commercial vehicles, not supposed to carry passengers in rear or in the back of truck - but who takes notice of that!.

Road tax fpr the two doors is much lower, about 1050 Baht. Just had a renewal for road tax on my double cab 3L from the finance company, this year - 7,128 Baht, quite a difference.

No, insured (and so I presume licensed as well) for 3 people. Also take into account that there will be no seat belts in the back.

Not to put you of, simply giving the information.

I know sod all about pick-ups but I've read quite a few threads on the subject and now almost consider myself expert! Here's some of the things I've picked up, no play on words intended:

The D-Max has the old engine, it's not been upgraded in about ten years but supposedly it will be next year:

The safety rating (Australia) of the D-Max and Toyota pickups is poor, the Mazda BT50 or Ford Ranger (same vehicle really) are excellent, both made in the PI.

Value for money and safety features winners are the Ranger and the BT50.

Over and out.

I am looking for an almost identical spec vehicle as the OP: smaller diesel engine, AT, 2WD, 2 door, "extra" cab. Some manufacturers (ie Toyota) offer nothing in this range and the others offer little choice.

I am leaning more and more towards the Nissan Navara which ticks all my boxes and is reasonably priced compared to the others. I may actually end up getting the 4-door version for various reasons and the extra cost is not as much as with some other brands.

I think the problem is in finding the AT with anything under 3.0, not easy. If you wanted to be really sexy you could go with the AT and 4WD which I never knew existed, it still means a 3.0 engine though.

I am just about to buy a Fortuna 4x2 Gas A/T with a 2.7 litre petrol engine. Should I really go for the diesel engined version?

I wont be taking it off-road much.

I looked at Isuzu but was put off by the interior - acres of plastic and cheap looking.

Please advise?

I am just about to buy a Fortuna 4x2 Gas A/T with a 2.7 litre petrol engine. Should I really go for the diesel engined version?

I looked at Isuzu but was put off by the interior - acres of plastic and cheap looking.

Please advise?

Significantly cheaper on gas and longer engine life, yes I would go diesel. Actually, I'd go BT50 but that's another story.

BTW: the safety rating ont he Fortuner is the same as the Hillux, not very good.

Edited by chiang mai

I know sod all about pick-ups but I've read quite a few threads on the subject and now almost consider myself expert! Here's some of the things I've picked up, no play on words intended:

The D-Max has the old engine, it's not been upgraded in about ten years but supposedly it will be next year:

The safety rating (Australia) of the D-Max and Toyota pickups is poor, the Mazda BT50 or Ford Ranger (same vehicle really) are excellent, both made in the PI.

Over and out.

Guess the D-MAX safety rating does not refer to the current 2012 model, or...

Over and out.

Guess the D-MAX safety rating does not refer to the current 2012 model, or...

2012 models were included, here's the link: http://www.ancap.com.au/results?Search=1

Please advise?

It's a slug, has 1/3 less torque than the diesel, that is the grunt gone. bah.gif

• Like 1