I Want To Be A Legit Motorcyclist! Please Help!

Hello all, I have a Thai drivers licence now, but I have a Vietnamese motorbike (not brought in by myself), I think I've read somewhere that people with work permits can ride but only within the first 3months of their last entry into the country?

so below i have detailed what I have at the moment:-

1. Thai drivers licence

2.a one year work permit.

3.international drivers licence, U.K. counterpart licence.

4. the blue slip (Vietnamese version of the green book)

5. Vietnamese insurance, which can be bought at any petrol station in Vietnam.

plus one 125cc Honda twin GL Pro, it looks pretty old and I've taken to riding it with a hygienic face mask on to hide my western features!!

What I don't have!!

1.Thai licence plates!! (how do i get them?)

2. A green book!! (apparently very expensive to get and can take months!!)

so i want to make sure I'm in a position that the police cannot take my bike from me!! I understand that there will always be reason for a bribe if the police want one (usually about 200 baht apparently)

I've tried to search for info on the excise tax, but I'm not sure if it applies to me?

so if there's anybody out there with a bit of know how to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by ToNyBrittainJones

I think you would be better off both hassle / stress / financially to return the bike you have to Vietnam. Sell it there and put the money towards a bike in Thailand.

You could go through all the procedure of legalising the bike for this country but it'll probably end up costing more than the bike is worth.

Another option would be to use the money you would have to pay on taxes and registration etc and have a bike in Thailand and a bike in Vietnam!

I think you would be better off both hassle / stress / financially to return the bike you have to Vietnam. Sell it there and put the money towards a bike in Thailand.

You could go through all the procedure of legalising the bike for this country but it'll probably end up costing more than the bike is worth.

Another option would be to use the money you would have to pay on taxes and registration etc and have a bike in Thailand and a bike in Vietnam!

I second the idea of selling it. A quick search reveals these are being sold for approximately 10,000 THB in Vietnam. I am not an expert on that model, but it looks similar to many many Honda and Suzuki scooters here for the same prices. It is only 10,000, if you can't be bothered to sell in Vietnam right now, park it and buy another scooter here to ride that is legal for about that cost. Then, in a few months when you need to make a Visa run, take the bike to Vietnam and sell it. Unless of course it has sentimental value, then pay the 20,000 or 30,000 THB to register it, or pay the 200 baht fine every month for the next year and hope it doesn't get confiscated.

just how often do people get stopped by the police though? ive only ridden it a few times since buying it but i stalled it in-front of a traffic policeman and he did nothing (i though the gig was up at the time)

would pulling out my international driving licence and it being a Vietnamese bike just make the police back off abit, thinking they didn't know what the situation was?

just how often do people get stopped by the police though? ive only ridden it a few times since buying it but i stalled it in-front of a traffic policeman and he did nothing (i though the gig was up at the time)

would pulling out my international driving licence and it being a Vietnamese bike just make the police back off abit, thinking they didn't know what the situation was?

Well, it's Thailand to be honest. I have to agree with the other posters here in regards to the bike. Keep in mind, since this is Thailand nothing is for certain, you could very well drive the bike for a year and never have anyone ask a question or you could get stopped tomorrow and pay a 200 baht fine or next week the bike gets confiscated by the Thai police.

You never really know here as nothing is black and white in regards to behavior of police and others for that matter. You want piece of mind and no worries, recommend what the others here have, just get a Thai scooter with Green Book or pay the money to legalize your bike here and drive on down the road with no worries.

Edited by commande

And then, there is this German guy, riding a BMW motorbike, with a HH-numberplate (Hamburg), happily along this Kingdom's roads for 4 years already, has been stopped many times, showed the German paperwork, and there he goes again.

• Like 1

And then, there is this German guy, riding a BMW motorbike, with a HH-numberplate (Hamburg), happily along this Kingdom's roads for 4 years already, has been stopped many times, showed the German paperwork, and there he goes again.

clap2.gif Well done to you! By the way, that doesn't mean you will get away with it for another 4 years. Or 4 months either, you may be lucky though.

I'm sure your'e BMW is a little more valuable that the Op's scooter and it will cost more money should you ever decide to make the bike legal.

Having 100% import papers/invoices/taxes does not make your bike 100% legal.

As the Op stated he wants to be Legit (fully legal) all the advice posted above was posted with the intentions to help him achieve this status in the most practical / cost effective way.

The information you posted appears to discourage this.

To say it simple, the cost to get the motorcycle legally registered in Thailand exceeds the value of the motorcycle. You not really have to worry about the excise tax, as the motorcycle comes from another ASEAN country (free trade agreement) and has a engine well below 250cc (special tax group).

Second problem is that you need, before you import a motorcycle, a import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce and Industrial Standard Institute. I’m told that currently the Ministry of Commerce is not issuing new import permits due to a government ban on the import of second hand motorcycles (1). Previously, the penalty on not having an import permit was a fine equal to 10 percent of the price of vehicle but not less than 1,000 THB, or exceeding 20,000 THB.

The biggest and most costly part of getting the (125cc) motorcycle registered, is the Thai environmental test (exhaust emission test) which the motorcycle will maybe pass or fail, and costs about 25,000 to 30,000 THB per time.

If the environmental/emission test result is good you can apply for the registration of your motorcycle which is probably the cheapest part of the whole adventure. I believe that the registration costs something like 600 THB (it can be less as it is some time ago I registered a 125cc motorcycle in Thailand).

On the other side, the motorcycle has currently Vietnamese license plates and all Vietnam paperwork is in order. I would say ride it until it expires, do a trip to the Cambodian border hop over and return… (if you have friends in Vietnam, let them do the insurance) For safety you can apply for a Thai insurance for the motorcycle, ask your insurance guy for it… Not costs that much.

1. I’m aware that some companies are still importing second hand motorcycles; we do the same, as we still have valid import permits issued by the Ministry of Commerce.

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

To say it simple, the cost to get the motorcycle legally registered in Thailand exceeds the value of the motorcycle. You not really have to worry about the excise tax, as the motorcycle comes from another ASEAN country (free trade agreement) and has a engine well below 250cc (special tax group).

Second problem is that you need, before you import a motorcycle, a import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce and Industrial Standard Institute. I’m told that currently the Ministry of Commerce is not issuing new import permits due to a government ban on the import of second hand motorcycles (1). Previously, the penalty on not having an import permit was a fine equal to 10 percent of the price of vehicle but not less than 1,000 THB, or exceeding 20,000 THB.

The biggest and most costly part of getting the (125cc) motorcycle registered, is the Thai environmental test (exhaust emission test) which the motorcycle will maybe pass or fail, and costs about 25,000 to 30,000 THB per time.

If the environmental/emission test result is good you can apply for the registration of your motorcycle which is probably the cheapest part of the whole adventure. I believe that the registration costs something like 600 THB (it can be less as it is some time ago I registered a 125cc motorcycle in Thailand).

On the other side, the motorcycle has currently Vietnamese license plates and all Vietnam paperwork is in order. I would say ride it until it expires, do a trip to the Cambodian border hop over and return… (if you have friends in Vietnam, let them do the insurance) For safety you can apply for a Thai insurance for the motorcycle, ask your insurance guy for it… Not costs that much.

1. I’m aware that some companies are still importing second hand motorcycles; we do the same, as we still have valid import permits issued by the Ministry of Commerce.

Ah, so finally you admit that the "ban" on second hand imports really isn't a ban at all? coffee1.gif

Ah, so finally you admit that the "ban" on second hand imports really isn't a ban at all? coffee1.gif

Dear Tony,

You need to have an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Thai Ministry of Commerce and Thai Industrial Standard Institute. Currently the Foreign Trade Department is not issuing new import permits for the import of secondhand motorcycles.

So, for me this means that the ban on the import of secondhand motorcycles is active. Previous issued import permit will run out, they are already a hot commodity in the business. As consumers you probably will see the effect of the ban a bit later when the pre-ban issued import permits run out (probably one or two months).

Edited by Richard-BKK

Dear Tony,

You need to have an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Thai Ministry of Commerce and Thai Industrial Standard Institute. Currently the Foreign Trade Department is not issuing new import permits for the import of secondhand motorcycles.

So, for me this means that the ban on the import of secondhand motorcycles is active. Previous issued import permit will run out, they are already a hot commodity in the business. As consumers you probably will see the effect of the ban a bit later when the pre-ban issued import permits run out (probably one or two months).

Nonsense Richard,

I think you are aware that it's been YEARS since any new official import permits have been issued and it hasn't affected imports one bit.

First of all, it's still possible to obtain an import permit, if you know who to talk to. TiT and all ;)

Second, all the importers who already have import permits are STILL able to renew their permits without any difficulty.

For someone who claims to be "in the biz" I'm really surprised you don't know this... coffee1.gif

Ride it like you stole it.

But consider for a second, if you as a foreigner happened to be involved in an accident and by unlucky chance you hurt someone whilst riding an uninsured, unregistered, and un-taxed motorcycle. This will get you in real trouble and will cost you serious money.

Edit; I said involved as opposed to actually hitting someone. I stop at accident scenes when I think I can help, and of course it is safe to do so and when obviously I will not be held responsible. On returning from Mae Sai, I was the first to stop at a recent accident involving a single bike with two helmet-less riders. With my first aid kit as was able to offer first aid to one victim, and was able to stabilize the more seriously injured person. In this case my son provided spine stabilization to this badly injured man. Every attending emergency personal that attended, which seemed to take just forever, were all thankful for the help we provided, plus stating how impressed with the knowledge and preparedness I showed in the help we provided. BUT, the police did ask for, and want to keep, my Thai drivers licence and copy of my registration I was carrying. They did promise to return it to me in person later in the week, though I asked that it be left at the police station close to my house. Upon picking it up at the station I was shown more great-fullness; I did wonder how that situation would have gone if I'd been riding a unregistered bike.

On travel forums I've read of people selling there Vietnamese motorcycle in Chiang Mai, or Bangkok and such due to travel time constraints, in a way that it's will still be allowed to cross borders legally. I don't know how that works, but the information is out there.

Maybe soon we should start a sub forum, for members I won't name to be there playground, where they can hash it out? thumbsup.gif

Edited by Fishenough

Nonsense Richard,

I think you are aware that it's been YEARS since any new official import permits have been issued and it hasn't affected imports one bit.

First of all, it's still possible to obtain an import permit, if you know who to talk to. TiT and all wink.png

Second, all the importers who already have import permits are STILL able to renew their permits without any difficulty.

For someone who claims to be "in the biz" I'm really surprised you don't know this... coffee1.gif

For somebody who claims to know it all, you contradict yourself a bit; first you say “it's been YEARS since any new official import permits have been issued” then you say “it's still possible to obtain an import permit”.

And yes it’s still possible to obtain a import permit, you can buy them from another importer, or even government agency (who claims that they’re import permits that where requested but not needed when issued).

It’s also true that most importers of secondhand motorcycles previously did not bothered applying for a import permit, the paperwork was a bitch and it could take sometimes a month before they’re issued. The fine of not having a import permit was often acceptable, especially you consider the administrative work needed to apply for a import permit.

You claim that the Foreign Trade Department is still issuing import permits, so how could you know that? Even before you know if the request is granted you’re looking at least 30 days. Considering that the secondhand motorcycle ban is not even in effect for 30 days you could not have a response of the trade office, and did the Thai Industrial Standard Institute issued a import permit (who normally issues only when you have a import permit from the Foreign Trade Office…)?

But consider for a second, if you as a foreigner happened to be involved in an accident and by unlucky chance you hurt someone whilst riding an uninsured, unregistered, and un-taxed motorcycle. This will get you in real trouble and will cost you serious money.

Edit; I said involved as opposed to actually hitting someone. I stop at accident scenes when I think I can help, and of course it is safe to do so and when obviously I will not be held responsible. On returning from Mae Sai, I was the first to stop at a recent accident involving a single bike with two helmet-less riders. With my first aid kit as was able to offer first aid to one victim, and was able to stabilize the more seriously injured person. In this case my son provided spine stabilization to this badly injured man. Every attending emergency personal that attended, which seemed to take just forever, were all thankful for the help we provided, plus stating how impressed with the knowledge and preparedness I showed in the help we provided. BUT, the police did ask for, and want to keep, my Thai drivers licence and copy of my registration I was carrying. They did promise to return it to me in person later in the week, though I asked that it be left at the police station close to my house. Upon picking it up at the station I was shown more great-fullness; I did wonder how that situation would have gone if I'd been riding a unregistered bike.

On travel forums I've read of people selling there Vietnamese motorcycle in Chiang Mai, or Bangkok and such due to travel time constraints, in a way that it's will still be allowed to cross borders legally. I don't know how that works, but the information is out there.

Maybe soon we should start a sub forum, for members I won't name to be there playground, where they can hash it out? thumbsup.gif

As I read the post of OP correct, the motorcycle has full ‘Vietnamese’ legal papers, and has is insurance by a Vietnamese company. And if the motorcycle has entered Thailand by road passing through one of the border checkpoints it’s legally in Thailand.

I advice for a additional Thai insurance, as it can sometimes take a bit too long for a foreign insurance company to pay if it’s needed. In Thailand that can mean you are in police custody until they do… (not so good). Plus I remember it was not expensive.

If you ride a motorcycle with foreign license plates the bike has to leave the country every 3-months (I believe), and as I understand it, doing a border run for a motorcycle is easy at the Cambodian border. I have a friend who does it and he often not even leaves the country himself (not ask me how, as I have no clue).

Nonsense Richard,

First of all, it's still possible to obtain an import permit, if you know who to talk to. TiT and all wink.png

For somebody who claims to know it all, you contradict yourself a bit; first you say “it's been YEARS since any new official import permits have been issued” then you say “it's still possible to obtain an import permit”.

I realize your grasp of the English language is tenuous at best, but re-read what you just wrote above- you answered your own question coffee1.gif

And yes it’s still possible to obtain a import permit, you can buy them from another importer, or even government agency (who claims that they’re import permits that where requested but not needed when issued).

Exactly- it's still possible to obtain an import permit. Just not through "official" channels. Get it? passifier.gif

It’s also true that most importers of secondhand motorcycles previously did not bothered applying for a import permit, the paperwork was a bitch and it could take sometimes a month before they’re issued. The fine of not having a import permit was often acceptable, especially you consider the administrative work needed to apply for a import permit.

Yep, in Thailand there are many different ways to get things done. Nothing can't be solved with some money and the right connections, wouldn't you agree? wai.gif

You claim that the Foreign Trade Department is still issuing import permits, so how could you know that? Even before you know if the request is granted you’re looking at least 30 days. Considering that the secondhand motorcycle ban is not even in effect for 30 days you could not have a response of the trade office, and did the Thai Industrial Standard Institute issued a import permit (who normally issues only when you have a import permit from the Foreign Trade Office…)?

It's a bit early in the day to be on the sauce Richard. READ what I wrote mate. I NEVER said the Foreign Trade Department is still issuing import permits. I said it's still possible to obtain an import permit. Got it? coffee1.gif

I respect your courage to put yourself in a potentially risky situation. There are no good Samaritan laws in Thailand. Those victims can some back and blame you for their injuries. It's a shitty reality that "doing the right thing" here in Thailand can come back and bite you in the arse. Best of luck! wai.gif

Okay, so let’s say that the OP wants to get an import permit to get his 125cc motorcycle legal? I’m pretty sure that he finds nobody who wants to help him to get the motorcycle legally in the country, maybe if he pays the importer who holds the import permit the potential profit of imported secondhand Japanese liter bike, which would probably be 3 times the value of his 125cc motorcycle.

In short, the OP has to compensate an secondhand motorcycle importer for the import license, for say something like 30,000 THB, than when the motorcycle is officially entered Thailand, you can do that for 1,000 to 1,500 THB, than you need to do the environmental/emission test for say 25,000 THB. Oops you somewhere down the line also need to pay 7% sales tax. Apply for motorcycle registration… you look at something of about 60,000 THB to get the 125cc bike legally in Thailand on the road. Better you walk to the nearest Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki dealer and buy yourself a brand new 125cc motorcycle.

This is a rough calculation; the actual numbers/costs will probably be a bit higher…

Edited by Richard-BKK

Okay, so let’s say that the OP wants to get an import permit to get his 125cc motorcycle legal? I’m pretty sure that he finds nobody who wants to help him to get the motorcycle legally in the country, maybe if he pays the importer who holds the import permit the potential profit of imported secondhand Japanese liter bike, which would probably be 3 times the value of his 125cc motorcycle.

In short, the OP has to compensate an secondhand motorcycle importer for the import license, for say something like 30,000 THB, than when the motorcycle is officially entered Thailand, you can do that for 1,000 to 1,500 THB, than you need to do the environmental/emission test for say 25,000 THB. Oops you somewhere down the line also need to pay 7% sales tax. Apply for motorcycle registration… you look at something of about 60,000 THB to get the 125cc bike legally in Thailand on the road. Better you walk to the nearest Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki dealer and buy yourself a brand new 125cc motorcycle.

This is a rough calculation; the actual numbers/costs will probably be a bit higher…

Yep, that's about right- it makes no financial sense whatsoever to bring a little bike over from Vietnam and try to make it street legal in Thailand. OP is much better off selling it for parts or to someone who lives out in the country and doesn't need a road legal bike, and then buying a locally manufactured 100% legal bike in Thailand.

So I can ride the bike with foreign plates as Vietnam is in the ASEAN trade agreement. But I should get it insured in Thailand (which I did look at but the website asked for the green book number), but I would have to leave the country with the bike every three months.

There's no point getting an emissions test as it will probably be 25,000 baht!!

I respect your courage to put yourself in a potentially risky situation. There are no good Samaritan laws in Thailand. Those victims can some back and blame you for their injuries. It's a shitty reality that "doing the right thing" here in Thailand can come back and bite you in the arse. Best of luck! wai.gif

Are you a bit paranoid? Or maybe you are just riding so fast that you do not see accidents anymore ;)

I guess this is another reason why its good to have a first class insurance. Some people just stop and help without thinking about "the risk".

Are you a bit paranoid? Or maybe you are just riding so fast that you do not see accidents anymore wink.png

I guess this is another reason why its good to have a first class insurance. Some people just stop and help without thinking about "the risk".

You offer care to someone at the scene of an accident in a country like Thailand that does not have a Good Samaritan Law, the victim ends up paralyzed, blames YOU for causing the injury and sues you for everything your worth.

Yeah, you could say that makes me paranoid and reluctant to offer aid.

Back home I have performed CPR, used an automated external defibrillator (AED) and rendered first aid at a number of accident scenes, knowing that I'm protected by the Good Samaritan Act:

"Any person who in good faith renders emergency care, without renumeration or expectation of renumeration, at the scene of an accident or emergency to the victim of the accident or emergency shall not be liable for any civil damages resulting from the persons acts or omission, except for such damages as may result from the persons gross negligence or wanton acts or omissions."

Here in Thailand you have NO legal protection should someone you treat decide to sue you for their injuries. That certainly does make me think twice about offering aid in THIS country.

^

The first time BigBikeBkk recommends laws clap2.gif

Um no, the ABSENCE of a law protecting good Samaritans is my reason for not getting involved with strangers who have accidents in Thailand. Get it? coffee1.gif

Yep, got it. Hope noone is risking to get blamed when helping you. Strange, strange, ...

^

The first time BigBikeBkk recommends laws clap2.gif

Um no, the ABSENCE of a law protecting good Samaritans is my reason for not getting involved with strangers who have accidents in Thailand. Get it? coffee1.gif

Yep, got it. Hope noone is risking to get blamed when helping you. Strange, strange, ...

Strange strange indeed says the guys who's mouse is driven by cheese... crazy.gif