Legalities Of Representing An American Musician For Concerts In Thailand

I recently have been offered the opportunity to put together a few shows for a recording artist from Florida. He currently is not under any contract with any other managers or labels.

I was sent a lengthy 'standard' contract and I am in the process of going through it.

1st

A sticking point is where I read ... This agreement shall be subject to and construed in accordance with the laws of the state..., which I think surely needs to be amended, or is it possible that client/management contracts legally binding ?

-Any feedback from people who know about this is welcome. But I really don't need to here "This is Thailand" you'll be screwed so forget about it, etc. If that was the case then nobody from any country would ever perform here.

2nd

This is the part that mostly concerns me, making a solid contract with any venues that will assure that we get paid what we are promised. I know that unless we do this correctly chances are we will get screwed. What is the standard breakdown of percentages that we could expect, what should we focus on and what should we forget about: i.e. % of ticket sales(?), merchandise (?), alcohol sales(?) ...

-Any good tips here will be most appreciated

3rd

Are there any Thai (or international) corporate sponsors that might be a good idea to approach for a partnership with promotion?

4th

I know that Visas will be needed, will we both need the same visa or different.

5th

Anything that should be avoided at all costs?

Anyone that you might recommend I should talk to?

This artist has several records out, isn't on the level of a superstar but his style of music is very much in line with some of the most current and popular hip hop / R&B groups in Thailand. his could be a fairly large concert if certain Thai artists I am approaching decide to perform with us. Before that we plan on doing some clever promotion and probably a couple of smaller shows.

Kup Khun Krup

-A

You both need a visa, probably non-B, and a work permit to work/perform in Thailand. On application, the consulate will decide which visa they will give. But as said, a work permit will also be required.

Your question is mostly business related, so I move it to the business forum.

• Like 1

Without trying to sound rude I would suggest the artist concerned gets someone involved who actually knows what he is doing as regards promotion, legalites and contracts...as pretty obvious you dont and this is proven by the fact you are asking on an internet forum about contracts, permits, receipt splits etc..

I do have assistance from people who have worked here in the music industry already, but I love to triple check everything, and there are many reasons why I am being asked to do this that prefer to not disclose. In addition, I thought it would be a kind gesture to open up the topic to anyone who may consider creating tours.

Currently the corporate music machine is running out of gas and more and more artists are attempting to go independent. Hence the situation I am in. I am not the only one involve with this, but I want to see if I can pull up any stories or tips that may prepare us for situations that are not typical.

I am basically just making sure our aXXes are covered and everything runs as smooth as possible. Thai Visa I believe is the second or third largest social network of English speakers in Thailand and there are plenty of people here that do have some insight. Now it is simply a question of finding those who can get past the 'old boys' club way of thinking and behave as elders are supposed to and give sincere advice.

I have been involved in the industry for years but in different areas of expertise, so I am expanding my knowledge base by going beyond my humility and approaching this as someone who knows nothing in case I accidentally make assumptions that I will regret.

Does that make sense to you?

Edited by bitterbatter

If you want sincere advice then I suggest you retain a Thai legal firm with experience in this field to look after your wheeling and dealings in Thailand.

Business dealings in Thailand are fraught with many pitfalls, operating here is not as straight forward or as "honest" as you would be used to dealing with in the west as many reputable companies have found out.

All you are going to get on TV is opinon not fact....you need to retain proper legal services

Sincere enough for you

• Like 1