Job Offer Might Be Withdrawn

I was recently offered a position with an IT company based in Bangkok, however the offer was only verbal as the hiring manger wanted check my work references, and if everything was OK I would be able to start right away. I was OK with that as I had nothing to hide, the previous guy they hired quit after 2 months with out notice so he wanted to talk to my previous manager to see what type of employee I was.

After 2 days had pass without hearing back from him, I send him an email to check the status and see if he needed anything else from me. He replied that he had not contacted my last employer yet and now is saying he was interviewing other applicants for the position, and that he would be making a final decision in two weeks.

I was thinking of replying and saying that I understood we had a mutual agreement that the position was mine if my references check out, but then again I don't want to give the wrong impression and make it worse.

I know that I really can't do anything as I never signed a contract so I just wanted to get some ideas of what steps I should take next.

I guess the only thing you can do is wait and see....I wouldnt be pushing the issue...

Thanks for the reply, its probably the best thing to do. Just frustrating when they tell you one thing and then go in a different direction.

Keep looking for other work... just in case.

Who knows what other reasons he may be looking at other applicants.

NO reason to stop looking.

With out a doubt, I will definitely keep looking.

As others said, keep looking for other opportunities. You both aren't bound with any written agreement, you are actually in equal positions.

If it happens that you have another offer that works out first, you are totally free to say, "Sorry I'm looking for another opportunity, let's speak after I make a final decision within two weeks". If you do it politely, there's no problem.

I agree. Plus, if you find another company willing to offer you a position, you then have the pleasure of telling the first guy that he drug his feet a bit too long making a decision and you had to take a position with another company. Nothing like putting the shoe on the other foot.

I agree. Plus, if you find another company willing to offer you a position, you then have the pleasure of telling the first guy that he drug his feet a bit too long making a decision and you had to take a position with another company. Nothing like putting the shoe on the other foot.

First of all the offer is gone, its a dead parrot. Secondly even if the OP gets an alternative job offer quickly, you don't go back to Job Offer No.1 and say anything. There is nothing to be gained.

A very similar thing happened to me a while back. Had a couple of meetings/interviews with the MD and was told to come to his office to finalize everything and to meet the HR guy. At the meeting the MD told the HR guy all details of my employment that we had discussed - start date, salary, holidays, benefits etc. and told him to proceed with all the paperwork. I shook hands with the smiling MD with him saying "OK then, see you in 2 weeks, welcome aboard..." or words to that effect. Perhaps foolishly (with hindsight, definitely foolishly) on the strength of that I made some changes to my personal situation assuming the job was mine. The HR guy never contacted me to come in and sign the contract but I figured my start date was only a week or so away and I'd probably just sign it on my first day... Not so unusual I thought. Well, sure enough, 3 days before I was due to start I received a call telling me it wasn't happening....

So now I have no choice but to believe that a gentleman's handshake and verbal assurances just ain't worth sh*t.... which is a bit of a shame really.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. This didn't stop from looking, as I stated this was only a verbal agreement and I know that without a signed contract its pretty much worthless.

As jimmy said it seems the day of a man word and handshake are gone.

A very similar thing happened to me a while back. Had a couple of meetings/interviews with the MD and was told to come to his office to finalize everything and to meet the HR guy. At the meeting the MD told the HR guy all details of my employment that we had discussed - start date, salary, holidays, benefits etc. and told him to proceed with all the paperwork. I shook hands with the smiling MD with him saying "OK then, see you in 2 weeks, welcome aboard..." or words to that effect. Perhaps foolishly (with hindsight, definitely foolishly) on the strength of that I made some changes to my personal situation assuming the job was mine. The HR guy never contacted me to come in and sign the contract but I figured my start date was only a week or so away and I'd probably just sign it on my first day... Not so unusual I thought. Well, sure enough, 3 days before I was due to start I received a call telling me it wasn't happening....

So now I have no choice but to believe that a gentleman's handshake and verbal assurances just ain't worth sh*t.... which is a bit of a shame really.

My previous employer had the same process. After the offer, HR called to confirm start date, salary, holidays and benefits ect., but also emailed all the details and said they would have me sign the contract on the start date.

When my start date arrived HR had the contracted printed and ready for me to sign.

If your waiting after for his answer after he told you he hired you then said he was interveiwing other applicants then I want to say welcome to Thailand and he gave you it seems he gave you his answer.

What I don't understand is where your confusion is....usually when someone tells you they are interveiwing others it means you are not it, and if you are it, you should be able to tell him by the time he gets back to you, that "

Sorry but, I was looking for employment with a stable company...do you know of any..?

if you haven't seen a formal offer of employment letter and an employment contract then keep looking...if they are still interviewing for the position and then don't find anyone suitable they may contact you later...but don't hold yer breath...

and yeah...it can be frustrating; I hate dumb managers that talk out of their <deleted> and then you wonder if you want to work for them...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I presume you are not Thai...

It could be that you talked to the technical manager but once this got to the HR they pointed out some procedures that have to be followed.

They may have to interview or at least consider some Thai candidates for the position - after all IT is not such a restricted profession and they would need to have some proof that you are the best person for the position in order to obtain a work permit for you.

Not saying that this is the case here, but I have known it happen before - but I still would not get your hopes up

I presume you are not Thai...

It could be that you talked to the technical manager but once this got to the HR they pointed out some procedures that have to be followed.

They may have to interview or at least consider some Thai candidates for the position - after all IT is not such a restricted profession and they would need to have some proof that you are the best person for the position in order to obtain a work permit for you.

Not saying that this is the case here, but I have known it happen before - but I still would not get your hopes up

Actually I am Thai, but born and raised in the US so work permit isn't an issue.

The position and department is actually servicing the overseas market, mainly Europe and US so the team is a mix of Thai and expats.

I'm in between careers and since it's an entry-level position I thought it was a great opportunity to get into the industry.

Anyways, not getting my hopes up.