American Stabbed To Death By Burglar

rickthailand

I know plenty of home owners (single floor home) who have installed some sort of simple steel mesh in the roof space to prevent access to the home below.

onthedarkside,

Can you tell us a bit more about this? Is the steel mesh screen installed on the underside of the roof, or on the attic floor? Either way, I think the insulation would need to be removed during installation, and then replaced, right? Is the mesh screen stapled with staple gun? Is the entire attic floor covered?

Finally, where can I find such steel mesh? Home Pro?

Many thanks!

A simple PIR self contained alarm covering the roofspace would probably be effective and less disruptive to fit.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty of home owners (single floor home) who have installed some sort of simple steel mesh in the roof space to prevent access to the home below.

onthedarkside,

Can you tell us a bit more about this? Is the steel mesh screen installed on the underside of the roof, or on the attic floor? Either way, I think the insulation would need to be removed during installation, and then replaced, right? Is the mesh screen stapled with staple gun? Is the entire attic floor covered?

Many thanks!

A simple PIR self contained alarm covering the roofspace would probably be effective and less disruptive to fit.

You might be correct about the alarm. As for the steel mesh, talking about some sort of light fencing material (chicken wire) you can get in any hardware store, lay it over the inside of the roof, over the insulation material. Usually needs screws to hold it down as most roof spaces have steel beams so staple gun mostly likely not work. And don't forget to secure any hatch accesses into the roof space with deadbolts..

• 9 months later...

Has not been much said about this case has anyone heard any news or information . Did they ever catch the killer are they still working on it ... Everything seems quiet about it now and its almost a year ???????????

• Like 1

Has not been much said about this case has anyone heard any news or information . Did they ever catch the killer are they still working on it ... Everything seems quiet about it now and its almost a year ???????????

I would like to think there are homicide detectives working on finding the killer. In reality, Thai law enforcement tends to be less than professional and poorly trained. On the bright side, I did see them out in force today enforcing the motorcycle helmet law.

• 2 months later...

What a shame for his family. You have to wonder if he would have been attacked by the robber, if he had not brought the knife.

Don't pick a weapon up unless you know how to use it and are willing to do so. Otherwise, vacate the premise and call the police.

Also, stab, injure, or kill an unarmed intruder in your home, and you are probably going to do some hard time in Thai jail. TIT. This ain't American and I don't think there is an "Castle Doctrine" in this country -- and you're a farang.

Edited by connda

What a shame for his family. You have to wonder if he would have been attacked by the robber, if he had not brought the knife.

Don't pick a weapon up unless you know how to use it and are willing to do so. Otherwise, vacate the premise and call the police.

Also, stab, injure, or kill an unarmed intruder in your home, and you are probably going to do some hard time in Thai jail. TIT. This ain't American and I don't think there is an "Castle Doctrine" in this country -- and you're a farang.

A few years back I woke early in the morning, not knowing what had disturbed me, and walked out to my kitchen where my 70 kg dog had a burglar bailed bailed up. I let out an almighty roar, the dog turned away from the burglar to look at me as if to say 'what have I done wrong' and the burglar shot out the door. I was incensed at the intrusion and mighty pissed off at his escape. But when I settled down I realized his hand had been beside a large carving knife I had left on the bench so perhaps I had a luck escape.

The detectives said the burglar mustn't have been a local as all the local crims would have known I had a large dog.

This dog was not one of your crazy guard dogs - I used to take him on hospital visits. He just seemed able to sense evil.

Much as you might like to rip a burglars head off I think the best course of action is not to block his escape route.

I have looked at alarm systems here and was not very impressed . What I found was a decent system that would cover a normal size house would be around 30 to 40 thousand baht ..... But Im still looking ....

Are they screwing it into the roof beams or welding it?

A few years back I woke early in the morning, not knowing what had disturbed me, and walked out to my kitchen where my 70 kg dog had a burglar bailed bailed up. I let out an almighty roar, the dog turned away from the burglar to look at me as if to say 'what have I done wrong' and the burglar shot out the door. I was incensed at the intrusion and mighty pissed off at his escape. But when I settled down I realized his hand had been beside a large carving knife I had left on the bench so perhaps I had a luck escape.

The detectives said the burglar mustn't have been a local as all the local crims would have known I had a large dog.

This dog was not one of your crazy guard dogs - I used to take him on hospital visits. He just seemed able to sense evil.

Much as you might like to rip a burglars head off I think the best course of action is not to block his escape route.

Another ceiling entry or did he come through the same door he fled from?

Are they screwing it into the roof beams or welding it?

Another ceiling entry or did he come through the same door he fled from?

Same door.

My understanding of Thai law is that you DO have a right to injure or even kill an unauthorized intruder in your home, although this case illustrates that calling the police would have been much more prudent.

My understanding of Thai law is that you DO have a right to injure or even kill an unauthorized intruder in your home, although this case illustrates that calling the police would have been much more prudent.

I'll take my chances and just shoot the bugger. In the USA we have a saying, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

The meaning of that for those who may not know...

To be judged by 12 is to go to court and to be judged by a 12 man jury, which all court trials have.

To be carried by 6 is to be dead. It is common for 6 people to carry a coffin (3 on each side) to and from the hearse.

• Like 1

I'll take my chances and just shoot the bugger. In the USA we have a saying, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

To be judged by 12 is to go to court and to be judged by a 12 man jury, which all court trials have.

To be carried by 6 is to be dead. It is common for 6 people to carry a coffin (3 on each side) to and from the hearse.

Thank you much for that...... it gives me a bit of a chuckle that you feel the mentality level of TV'er is such that you need to explain/define

:cheesy::cheesy:

I think in some cases you would have to explain the explanation!

I have looked at alarm systems here and was not very impressed . What I found was a decent system that would cover a normal size house would be around 30 to 40 thousand baht ..... But Im still looking ....

That's really about the price to expect. Don't waste time looking much further - you might save a little but what you've seen is in the right ball park. Don't forget maintenance, no point in having a system that you don't use half the time because of false alarms.

Thank you much for that...... it gives me a bit of a chuckle that you feel the mentality level of TV'er is such that you need to explain/define

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yea, I guess it could be taken that way. laugh.png

I actually posted what it meant because I'm not sure how many sit on a jury or bury you in other countries. 12 / 6 may be just an American thing for all I know, as I do my best to avoid court and death when I'm in another nation.

onthedarkside,

Many thanks!

You might be correct about the alarm. As for the steel mesh, talking about some sort of light fencing material (chicken wire) you can get in any hardware store, lay it over the inside of the roof, over the insulation material. Usually needs screws to hold it down as most roof spaces have steel beams so staple gun mostly likely not work. And don't forget to secure any hatch accesses into the roof space with deadbolts..

So the chicken wire is under the roof tiles not on what might be called the attic floor or ceiling?

I live in wang wah,built a house a bit out of the town,house 6ft wall security cameras ,anyway I went back to work in the UK ,my wife and 3 yr old at home ,anyways a person was watching the house for two days ,he climbed the wall and tried for two hrs to get in ,all on camera he then decided to take a brick and attack the tempered glass front door lock,my wife obviously lost it ,called neighbours caught the cretin,he was not after taking gear from the house he wanted to get my wife,all admitted to the Bib who due to the amount of paper work dropped the charge to attempted burglary,,what a joke,he's in jail for 6 months now,,,when he gets out he will wish he had stayed in there ,2000 baht sorted,, only way,

I have a hard wired alarm system/internet cameras, the lot.

But, the sign in front of my house seems to be the best deterrent.

Sign reads; Home of Police lieutenant Colonel Somkiata Tommesan.

No problems yet...(knock on wood)

post-17260-0-96738700-1372480107_thumb.j

There is an old adage about weapons being turned on the owner - if you bring one make sure you are willing to use it, and fast (and know how to) - otherwise, just make a lot of noise and give them an escape route - so you lose a few trinkets (whatever is easy to carry during a dash escape) but keep your life.

This is excellent advice, wolf.

Hit them first, hit them hard, and don't stop hitting them until they're down.

(Jack Reacher's dad).

wink.png