Yahoo Email Virus?

PattayaParent

For the last couple of weeks whenever I open my Yahoo UK Email a 'ghost' messenger tab always pops up, as shown in this pic.

post-51760-0-12042600-1338454380_thumb.j

Is this a virus? Does anyone know how to get rid of it or to prevent the tab popping up?

I never open it to see what it contains, I just close it but it seems like a spam contact.

It never happens in my Yahoo US email, only the UK one.

If you have Yahoo Mail you automatically have Yahoo Messenger, and those messages could be from Spammers which they send through the Yahoo Messenger Application.

If you are logged into Messenger it looks like this

And if you are logged out it should likes this

Please check

Edit: //

Post # 2 shows how you to log out if you are logged in

Edited by MJCM

I didn't know that people actually used Yahoo or Hotmail for their email any more... unless that is you are a Nigerian scammer but even those muppets have got wise to it!

They are the most spammed, hacked and generally buggered about with free email that exists......

Gmail is not totally infallible but pretty dam_n good at weeding out the a==holes.

If you have Yahoo Mail you automatically have Yahoo Messenger, and those messages could be from Spammers which they send through the Yahoo Messenger Application.

If you are logged into Messenger it looks like this

And if you are logged out it should likes this

Please check

Edit: //

Post # 2 shows how you to log out if you are logged in

How do you log out of messenger ?

I can't find this info in post#2 of this thread.

How can I set it so I am not logged in to Messenger when I log in ?

If you are logged in (you can check this via Post #4) you can log out by Pressing the "Sign Out of Messenger" button which you can see in Post #2,

(If the "Sign Out of Messenger" button is greyed out, it means that you are already logged out)

Edited by MJCM

I didn't know that people actually used Yahoo or Hotmail for their email any more... unless that is you are a Nigerian scammer but even those muppets have got wise to it!

They are the most spammed, hacked and generally buggered about with free email that exists......

Gmail is not totally infallible but pretty dam_n good at weeding out the a==holes.

I also mainly use Gmail, but I really love the "disposable email address" feature in Yahoo, which Gmail unfortunately still doesn't have.

You just make a Base Name and then you create as many as you want disposable addresses in this form

<Base Name>- Disposable.

When you delete the Disposable address, a Sender gets an Unknown Email Address error when they send an Email to that address.

Edited by MJCM

I've got a few Gmail addresses also but this is a Yahoo account I set up many years ago before Gmail was invented.